• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's delicious JP mag news

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
super funk said:
THERES A SHREK 3 COMING OUT HOW DID I MISS THAT!?
Yep and I am watching it soon. Dreamworks invited a couple students for a pre-show, and somehow I made it in.

duckroll

chibcicylist said:
Says who? You?

The adventure gaming thing is admittedly questionable but Namco haven't said anything about how they are treating this game.

Erm, it's an action adventure game called Soul Calibur Legends. If that's not a spin off, then I don't know what is. :p

duckroll

fresquito said:
Heh, I guess he's questioning the "not a big deal" part.

As I said before, there's no article, it's just a tiny blurb at the bottom of a page previewing a completely different game. If that's how Famitsu feels is a good way to present a game for the first time, then yes, officially it's no big deal. :p

Durante

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say 9/9/7/7 for a 2D game that's "hard" and "complex" is actually quite good from Famitsu.

zsidane

duckroll said:
There's nothing to turn around. There isn't even an article on this game. It's a blurb on the bottom bar of a page about the Wii Gundam game. It literally just says "Actual Adventure Game on the Wii featuring SC characters".
Add to that a shitty logo and you're done :lol

Durante said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say 9/9/7/7 for a 2D game that's "hard" and "complex" is actually quite good from Famitsu.

It's the review info more than the score that fills me with confidence that the game would be good. I like the challenge, and except for loading, none of the other criticisms seem like a big deal to me.

fresquito said:
Yay for the title change!
*high fives*

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Durante said:
Sure, but it's still Famitsu. I do agree that I find their compliments and complaints encouraging.

Bring on the challenge.
chibcicylist said:
Says who? You?
Pachael said:
Can't do worse than Virtua Quest.
TTP said:
Totaly unpredictable gameplay mechanics
nelsonroyale said:
jj984jj said:
Unless they go in a deeper direction, that's lame.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Soul Calibur Legends....another 'swords' spinoff for Wii.
pswii60 said:
True but this is Soul Calibur Legends, not Soul Calibur 4.
Not just me.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
duckroll said:
I really don't think that's the reason it didn't get a review. Famitsu started a tighter policy on what gets a full review. Ports and re-releases are pretty much a no-no these days. Persona 3 Fes didn't get a review either, and neither did KH2FM+, etc. The last re-release I remember having a Famitsu review is MGS3 Subsistence.

If it's so easy to buy a O/X review instead, FFVIIDoC would most definitely have gotten one. :lol

Huh...now that you mention it...

I assumed both KHIIFM+ and Fes were a similar situation -- the big advertisers Squeni and Atlus weren't happy with the scores and a financial compromise couldn't be reached, so they were cut. But with three major remakes/ports/enhanced re-releases in a row not getting reviewed...

Makes sense. Famitsu is still the devil, though. If I had 5 yen for every time a developer complained about Famitsu literally dictating sales of games in Japan with their horrible Cross Reviews, I'd have...like 25 yen :)

dog$ said:
Sure, but it's still Famitsu. I do agree that I find their compliments and complaints encouraging.

Bring on the challenge....Not just me.

all the idiotic fanboys are showing themselves.
this thread is saved for future crow eating, and your one post helps me big time!

Station42

duckroll said:
Famitsu's Odin Sphere comments:

- Difficulty is high, but the controls are relatively simple but very intuitive and work well
- The item creation aspect and how its used in the game is unique, but when there are too many items in your inventory management can be hard
- Great directing with powerful music and voices, there's quite a lot of volume in the game
- Lots of loading
- Lots of stages look the same
- In some of the boss fights there appears to be slowdown

noooou! ._____.

any news on a version tried on ps3 in h.res?

also SD Gundam G Generation Cross Drive looks nice...and Ouendan it's in my cart from weeks :D

duckroll

Aokage said:
Makes sense. Famitsu is still the devil, though. If I had 5 yen for every time a developer complained about Famitsu literally dictating sales of games in Japan with their horrible Cross Reviews, I'd have...like 25 yen :)

:lol :lol

Yeah, magazines do seem to have a good swing over preorders in general. But personally I think actual preview coverage is more important than the actual reviews... but they're also much more expensive. (And related too, since the more coverage and advertising you pay for, the softer the review is)

Aokage

duckroll said:
:lol :lol

Yeah, magazines do seem to have a good swing over preorders in general. But personally I think actual preview coverage is more important than the actual reviews... but they're also much more expensive. (And related too, since the more coverage and advertising you pay for, the softer the review is)

Apparently, the second-most important deciding factor for wholesalers in Japan while placing orders for games is the Famitsu Cross Review score (preorders are first). The game industry is essentially ruled by Famitsu, and it's just an awful thing. A bad score is the kiss of death. Look at poor Grim Grimoire...such a better game than Famitsu claimed. Guess NIS just wasn't ponying up enough ¥¥¥.

With that said, sometimes even the game companies themselves alter scores for their own purposes. You didn't hear it from me, but Konami asked Enterbrain to score Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin lower than Lunar Knights for internal political reasons :lol

duckroll

Aokage said:
Apparently, the second-most important deciding factor for wholesalers in Japan while placing orders for games is the Famitsu Cross Review score

Konami asked Enterbrain to score Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin lower than Lunar Knights for internal political reasons

Those poor, poor, poor wholesalers. :lol

duckroll

reminder said:
Holy shit, Dissidia looks awesome! :O

About as awesome as Onimusha Buraiden... yeah.

TheGuardian said:
Are we sure Dissidia is an RPG? What do the scans say? Why is Zidane there?

It's not a RPG. It's a smash brothers style fighting game with FF characters and bosses.

jesusraz

duckroll said:
It's not a RPG. It's a smash brothers style fighting game with FF characters and bosses.

With an 'epic' story and lots of cut-scenes to tie it all together, no doubt.

jesusraz

duckroll said:
Doesn't.....sound.......like.......there's........a......story......

Wow, an S-E game without a story! Even more shocking, an FF game without a story *shocked*

Well, S-E certainly couldn't have put something like this out on Wii, that's for sure, as it'd be crushed by Smash Bros. Totally rules out any slim chance of S-E characters in Smash Bros., though.

Aokage

duckroll said:
Doesn't.....sound.......like.......there's........a......story......

Sure there is. The goddess Cosmos summons a bunch of heroes, and the god Chaos summons a bunch of villains...TO DO BATTLE.

Awesome! That's a story if I've ever heard one!

I wonder if it'll be one hero and one villain/rival per game...

Warrior of Light / Garland
Frioniel / ?
? / ?
Cecil / Golbez?
Butz / Gilgamesh?
Tina / Kefka
Cloud / Sephiroth
Squall / Seifer
Zidane / Kuja
Tidus / Seymour
Generic Hume? / Kam'lanaut?
Vaan / Vayne

Hmm...exciting. I also wonder if it's one-on-one or will become four player. There certainly seems to be enough room for four life bars...

dissidia looks pretty good....but damn FF IV does look pretty nice...its a pity short game though, pretty they couldnt bulk up some of the world/story...golbez is great though

peace

Dascu

FFIV DS looks great. As for Dissidia, I like Nomura's design for Garland. Zidane's OK, but giving Kuja purple lipstick crosses the line. He's now officially a cross-dresser. :(

jesusraz

nelsonroyale said:
dissidia looks pretty good....but damn FF IV does look pretty nice...its a pretty short game though, pretty they couldnt bulk up some of the world/story...golbez is great though

peace

I was under the impression new aspects of the story were being added to ensure it's not just a graphical overhaul. So that would be the extra stuff from the GBA game, plus even more extra content.

Kafel

Banned
50851020070509_153004_0_big.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There should be something more than simply swinging the Wiimote around, just don't expect the same depth as the fighting series.

*sigh*

SC isn't even super deep, but....man. Well, I hope its fun. The art is on point like always. I wonder what the control scheme will be like.

Top Bottom