• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2011)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
lobdale said:
Maybe it makes me less of a Murakami fan, but fuck it--I think his less "crazy magic reality" books are the best. I loved Norwegian Wood, and if you can read Underground (stories from people who experienced the sarin gas attacks in 1995), After the Quake (stories somehow related to the Kobe earthquake the same year) or After Dark (some slightly tweaked short stories), I think you'll have a good entry point to some of his other works, which are pretty huge and daunting at first. (He is an excellent short story writer, and I have enjoyed his short stories more than his novels on virtually every occasion.)
Have you read South of the Border, West of the Sun? It's the only Murakami book I've read so far but it definitely sounds like one of if not his least surreal fiction books, and I quite enjoyed it.

Fjordson

Wow, didn't even know he wrote short stories. Thanks for tip. Looking more into it, seems like he's pretty varied as far as style and subject material.

Magni

Finished Revelation Space by Alaistair Reynolds earlier last month, loved it, but haven't had much time to read since.

I've been reading sooo much SF over the past year, so I'm switching gears a bit.

On my bedside table:

XGTCD.jpg

Del Amor Y Otros Demonios by Gabriel García Márquez

Forty pages in, and I really like it. I don't think I'd have ever thought of reading this, my girlfriend gave it to me for my birthday, but I'm really enjoying it. It's hard to describe, but the mood is very ethereal, dreamy. I must be missing out on a lot (not a native Spanish speaker, so a lot of vocab is going over my head), but I've liked what I have understood.

Next up:

n4r2F.jpg

Demons by Dostoyevsky

I have a good friend of mine who is spending the year studying in Saint Petersburg. I haven't really read any Russian literature, so I asked her for recommendations. Reading it in French because the translation is supposedly good and I haven't read anything in French in a looong time.

IuIJR.gif

Faust by Goethe

Same friend is always talking about this book (I think she named her dog Faust?), and since I haven't read much German literature either, thought I'd give this a try. Reading it in French for the same reasons as above.

Going back to some Reynolds after those three (Revelation Space is the first I've read and there are four more waiting on my bookshelf), and after that I have Dance With Dragons and a ton of Murakami to read.

---

edit:

Concerning Murakami: I've only read Norwegian Wood so far (right before Revelation Space actually), and I loved it, so I second that recommendation. I LOVED it. I don't know why, the whole thing just clicked for me. I read it in August and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. Wondering in what order I should read his other works now though.. I was thinking After the Quake?

Donos

Halycon said:
For those of you who haven't been keeping track:

61imVTT3dXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Available for order on Amazon or if you're part of the Kindle master race you can begin reading now!

Nice. Read all the previous books (even Maurice ...). Looking forward to.

I'm half through the second Hyperion (Simmons) Book. Things going crazy now. Next in line are all the R.R. Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" books.

Duki

Banned
Halycon said:

Available for order on Amazon or if you're part of the Kindle master race you can begin reading now!
o god i totally forgot o god o god

is it gud

Mumei

MagniHarvald said:
IuIJR.gif

Faust by Goethe

Same friend is always talking about this book (I think she named her dog Faust?), and since I haven't read much German literature either, thought I'd give this a try. Reading it in French for the same reasons as above.

I loved Faust, though unfortunately I couldn't (and still can't) read it in German.

I grabbed The Caves of Steel today. I told a friend that I had never read anything by Asimov, and he was very disappointed in me. Needless to say I have to rectify this.

Magni

Don't worry Mumei, my German is limited to "Gutentag", "Ich bin ein Berliner", some Nazi stuff, and "kurrywurst bitteschön" (or however it's pronounced).

Donos said:
I'm half through the second Hyperion (Simmons) Book. Things going crazy now. Next in line are all the R.R. Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" books.

I loved the first two, mildly enjoyed the second two. They're not bad, but they're just not as good as the first two are. You've probably heard this before.

Oh, and you're in for a wild ride with the ASOIAF books :D

stephen08

I plan to start reading through Atlas Shrugged in the near future. Also at some point I am going to finish up Sin City Books 3-7.

Famassu

Robin Hobb's second book in the Soldier Son Trilogy, Forest Mage.

Kind of a hard series to read through since I don't really like the main character, but I like where the plot is going enough that I want to see how it all ends.

Drazgul

200px-TheGodsThemselves%281stEd%29.jpg

Scifi's less appealing to me than other speculative fiction, but the alien society certainly is interesting in this one.

200px-Hauntedcvr.jpg

Kinda sucks Guts was the first story, you should save the best for last!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Nerdiest geekiest love letter sci fi book I've read in some time.

Lo-Volt said:
I actually am, but I chose those two first because I had seen the miniseries adaptations of both. The Honourable Schoolboy is certainly on my list. And it's true, these Le Carre novel covers are quite good. A few others got the same treatment, like:
9780143119746H.jpg

9780143119753H.jpg

But never worry, you can always buy:
9780143120933H.jpg
I'm intrigued, what is so good about these books?

FnordChan

DesertEater said:
I'm intrigued, what is so good about these books?

I love the half-dozen or so of Le Carre's novels that I've read, but I'm not sure how best I can pitch them to you. His writing style conveys a lot of detail that beautifully describes the contemporary settings his novels take place in, combining a sense of melancholy about the Cold War (and the post-Cold War world) with enough humor to keep things from being too gloomy. His characters are compelling and complex, with their emotions in conflict with the secret lives they lead. I like to think that Le Carre's spy stories are probably very realistic, depicting tradecraft accurately and giving just as much emphasis to the bureaucratic wrangling behind the scenes as he does any action out in the field. What it boils down to is that Le Carre just writes damn fine novels.

If you're sold, I'd suggest starting with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

FnordChan

ultron87

Halycon said:

This is a new Vimes book?!?

I know what I'm reading next.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading shadow of the wind, not really feeling it :(

jns

Just finished
j584h4eezllt_t.jpg

now reading
0099437961.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Also started writing a new novel so my reading time will be eaten into a lot .

I finished Shadows and Wind tonight. It was a bit tedious to read. It's not textbook-dry but it's close. If I wasn't interested in the subject it would have been a difficult read. That said, I found it to be a well-written and thorough look at modern Vietnam (at least through ~1998) which is all I was really looking for.

edit: I guess I didn't update when I finished Medium Raw:

Medium Raw was good overall. The chapters are disconnected and often scrounged from previous writing but I found them all interesting. If it weren't for some of the direct references to Kitchen Confidential I wouldn't say it is appropriate to call this book a follow up to it but it works. There are a few bits that are lifted directly from narration in No Reservations, although expanded, which would bother me except they were some of my favorite parts anyway.

I finished both of my October books way too early, so I'll pick two more:

q4lKX.jpg
cE9RV.jpg

That's right: more Vietnam, more Bourdain (hopefully some of both in Cook's Tour). Might as well ride it into the ground until I get sick of it.

Pollux

Monroeski said:
Just finished that yesterday. Good book, with all the hallmarks of his other novels, but you could tell it was a first outing for him. Several parts had writing that just felt amateur, and the last line stereotypical enough to make me audibly groan.
Agreed. Very good book though. Looking forward to his next Mistborn trilogy, and the eventual Elantris sequel.

Woorloog

Banned
zmoney said:
Agreed. Very good book though. Looking forward to his next Mistborn trilogy, and the eventual Elantris sequel.
That next Mistborn trilogy isn't going to come anytime soon... First standalone Alloy of Law, then final Wheel of Time, then second book of the Way of Kings and then... maybe Mistborn?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Halycon said:

This is what I am reading now as well.

Unfortunately the Kindle version (that I bought) is crap. It looks as if they picked the printed copy and ran it through OCR without any proof reading. -A lot- of missing spaces between the words and other formatting issues to the point of being really a distraction. Table of contents is missing as well. Kindle version was so bad that at least for now it is not offered anymore.

As for the story itself, I don't know... so far I am afraid this is nowhere as good as other Vimes stories (which I prefer to DEATH, Wizards, and Witches series). That magic touch about subtle humor is gone and replaced by somewhat crude and jokes with predictable punch lines.

Terry's last couples of books have been big disappointments for me. Well, except Nation.

Edit: Before starting "Snuff", I read Golden Compass trilogy... for the 5th time.

Kosh

Finished up World War Z. It was great, really loved the style.

Next, going to start up Discworld and read them in published order as was recommended. If I like the series, I will probably just stick a new one in every once in a while as I catch up on my backlog.

After that, it's time for some non-fiction.

FnordChan said:
I love the half-dozen or so of Le Carre's novels that I've read, but I'm not sure how best I can pitch them to you. His writing style conveys a lot of detail that beautifully describes the contemporary settings his novels take place in, combining a sense of melancholy about the Cold War (and the post-Cold War world) with enough humor to keep things from being too gloomy. His characters are compelling and complex, with their emotions in conflict with the secret lives they lead. I like to think that Le Carre's spy stories are probably very realistic, depicting tradecraft accurately and giving just as much emphasis to the bureaucratic wrangling behind the scenes as he does any action out in the field. What it boils down to is that Le Carre just writes damn fine novels.

If you're sold, I'd suggest starting with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

FnordChan
Thats exactly what I hoped it would be. I'm definitely sold. Thanks :)

dubc35

Mgoblue201 said:
http://www.stinkbrown.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/moby-dick.jpg
My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Nantucket over the summer. I've been meaning to read this since our visit to the whale museum.

Started this last night. I only got a chapter in but it is good so far.

1422050-L.jpg

Pollux

Woorloog said:
That next Mistborn trilogy isn't going to come anytime soon... First standalone Alloy of Law, then final Wheel of Time, then second book of the Way of Kings and then... maybe Mistborn?
Ahh you're right. I thought Alloy of Law was the start of the new trilogy. My mistake. I am looking forward to the next Way of Kings book. Loved the first one. Sanderson has a talent for world-building.

Woorloog

Banned
zmoney said:
Ahh you're right. I thought Alloy of Law was the start of the new trilogy. My mistake. I am looking forward to the next Way of Kings book. Loved the first one. Sanderson has a talent for world-building.
Indeed. Something i really respect in his writing. World building is something i like and it is really hard.

I did think Alloy of Law as new MB trilogy as well at first...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finally finished the 1,000 plus pages of Reamde. Hard to recommend and hard to describe. It is sprawling and at times exhausting.

Cfh123

"Among the Missing" by Dan Chaon - it's a book of short stories. I've read the first two and they have been really good so far. The stories have a Raymond Carver vibe.

pOYYm.jpg

Fjordson

Finished Leviathan Wakes. Very good sci-fi. A fast read. Gotta love Daniel Abraham. Really excited for the rest of the series.

Not sure what to read next. Been eyeing The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, but I'm not sure.

FnordChan

I recently tore through the Kate Daniels series by the husband/wife team writing as Ilona Andrews. These are great urban fantasy novels with god awful covers. Here's an example:

51THGpGZsFL.jpg

Let's see, you've got a badass woman with a glowing sword and Aslan, all of whom have been run through Photoshop more than a few times. I realize the cover is pretty rough, even by SF and fantasy standards, and I had to have more than one friend recommend the books to me before I really believed them. Once I got started, however, I read all five novels in the series - Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes, Magic Bleeds, and Magic Slays - one after the other, basically as quickly as I could. I'm a sucker for good serial fiction and this has all the necessary qualities - fun characters, fast paced action, and plenty of hooks to leave you wanting more each time - plus an interesting urban fantasy setting. Our heroine is a wizard detective (naturally) working in post-magic apocalypse Atlanta, where magic returned to the world a few decades ago and all hell broke loose. Since then reality shifts between magical and technological tendencies, society has settled down and started adapting to the transitions (though large swaths of the urban landscape are basically ruins), and a very interesting take on vampires, a reasonably interesting take on werewolves, and a whole pantheon of trouble has returned to the world. Over the course of the series our tough-as-nails loner heroine (again, not what you would call a big surprise) makes friends, contemplates potential lovers, chops stuff up with her sword, gets involved with all sorts of political factions, and generally saves the day. It's not the most original series you're ever going to read, but the world building is pretty interesting and the authors have brought in some interesting mythology to drive each of the novels. They're all highly recommended for anyone looking for a stack of urban fantasy to wallow in, lousy covers and all.

51HgKZ9kgLL.jpg

For something completely different, I followed up the series with A Rage in Harlem, the first of Chester Himes' Grave Digger and Coffin Ed novels. I first discovered the characters in the excellent 1970 proto-blaxploitation film Cotton Comes to Harlem, based on a later novel in the series, and decided to start reading their adventures from the beginning. Published in 1957, A Rage in Harlem is about an exceptionally gullible mark, the con men who take him in, and how all hell breaks loose from there. Himes takes us through every corner where Harlem lowlife engage in gambling, prostitution, drug abuse, scams of all sorts, casual mayhem, and more, all with a very black sense of humor as the events of the novel become increasingly absurd. Grave Digger and Coffin Ed aren't the main characters this time around, but the book does a great job of introducing them as two-fisted (and, more importantly, two-pistoled) detectives who bust heads and have a lax view of the letter of the law when it comes to keeping Harlem's lowlife in check. I enjoyed the hell out of the book, which is completely top notch crime fiction, and I've got the next two novels in the series en route.

51H3gJdaqsL.jpg

Finally, I just started reading Jo Walton's Among Others. I've barely begun the novel, but my understanding is that it's a coming of age story about a young woman shipped off to a boarding school where she does not remotely fit in, how she discovers science fiction and fantasy fandom, and how all of this has more than a bit of magic thrown into the mix. There's a short bit near the beginning that describes the book as an autobiographical fantasy novel, which is certainly a bit different, but I'm game. I picked up Among Others based on a rave by Walton's editor, Patrick Nielsen Hayden, who generally resists the urge to pimp books he's worked on unless he thinks they're completely amazing. I'm all of twenty pages in and can't really comment yet, but I'm very optimistic.

FnordChan

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
dubc35 said:
My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Nantucket over the summer. I've been meaning to read this since our visit to the whale museum.
One of the book's many charms is its remarkable portrait of 19th century Nantucket, though some people may find the extensive descriptions of cetology and whaling a little wearying. I enjoyed those sections but thought that the book could've benefited from some much needed editing.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
FnordChan said:
Finally, I just started reading Jo Walton's Among Others. I've barely begun the novel, but my understanding is that it's a coming of age story about a young woman shipped off to a boarding school where she does not remotely fit in, how she discovers science fiction and fantasy fandom, and how all of this has more than a bit of magic thrown into the mix. There's a short bit near the beginning that describes the book as an autobiographical fantasy novel, which is certainly a bit different, but I'm game. I picked up Among Others based on a rave by Walton's editor, Patrick Nielsen Hayden, who generally resists the urge to pimp books he's worked on unless he thinks they're completely amazing. I'm all of twenty pages in and can't really comment yet, but I'm very optimistic.

FnordChan

Funny, I'm going away for the weekend and just about grabbed Among Others off my bookshelf to take with me. I'm sort of saving it for a rainy day.

Instead, I'm bringing:

244qxqs.jpg

Planesrunner by Ian McDonald.

There is not one you. There are many yous. There is not one world. There are many worlds. Ours is one of billions of parallel earths.

When Everett Singh's scientist father is kidnapped from the streets of London, he leaves young Everett a mysterious app on his computer. Suddenly, this fourteen-year-old has become the owner of the most valuable object in the multiverse—the Infundibulum—the map of all the parallel earths, and there are dark forces in the Ten Known Worlds who will stop at nothing to get it. They've got power, authority, and the might of ten planets—some of them more technologically advanced than our Earth—at their fingertips. He's got wits, intelligence, and a knack for Indian cooking.

To keep the Infundibulum safe, Everett must trick his way through the Heisenberg Gate his dad helped build and go on the run in a parallel Earth. But to rescue his Dad from Charlotte Villiers and the sinister Order, this Planesrunner's going to need friends. Friends like Captain Anastasia Sixsmyth, her adopted daughter Sen, and the crew of the airship Everness.

Can they rescue Everett's father and get the Infundibulum to safety? The game is afoot!

I've never read anything by McDonald. I've always had the impression that his writing's just too dense, takes too much effort and that I wouldn't enjoy it for those reasons, but I'm very curious about his first YA offering.

Shiv47

51MPtCm3V0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I always find books by athletes that try to present the reality of their sport interesting, and this was considered a shocking book when it came out in 1970, written by a former NFL linebacker who quit the game early. Meggyesy really gets into the seedier side of college and pro football (corruption, drug abuse, racism, etc). It's a very quick read.

Kc7C9.jpg

This book is insane... I tried describing it to a friend and the best I could come up with was Lovecraftian horror slapstick, but that doesn't really do it justice.

modulaire

Just finished

514caiof-pl._ss500_obsg.jpg

Good near-future detective novel. Some explanations of the world are a bit exhausting and overly detailed, though.

Mumei

I finished The Caves of Steel and then read The Left Hand of Darkness yesterday. The Left Hand of Darkness was pretty great, especially with the little reports and myths and stories interspersed with the 'main' story. I'm looking forward to reading The Dispossessed sometime, since I've heard that it is better.

I'm about to leave to go to a cousin's wedding, and I'll be taking The Naked Sun with me. I didn't really think The Caves of Steel was amazing when I first finished reading it - though I did enjoy it - but for whatever reason it seems to be staying with me and I want to read another.

Nymerio

I'm at around 30% of:

51c6yenYEyL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Really liking it thus far. I want the read something scary next, does gaf have any recommendations for that? I read House of Leaves and thought the explorations into the house were quite frightening if that helps :)

Top Bottom