• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA + Bioware = Sonic RPG for DS

Tobor

I'm really curious as to how this came about. Who approached who?

Sega wanting to do something different with Sonic? Or Bioware working on a DS RPG and realizing they needed a license to maximize exposure?

Vashu

Tobor said:

Sega wanting to do something different with Sonic? Or Bioware working on a DS RPG and realizing they needed a license to maximize exposure?

OR..... How about staff connections and like minds all wanting to do something fun with the Sonic universe? See Square Enix/Disney sharing the same building/mindset which resulted in Kingdom Hearts.

I really don't think that BioWare needed the license to get maximum exposure for their very first DS RPG, but then again, I'm an optimist.

3rdman

Tobor said:

Seeing that SEGA has been using a lot of western developers to handle their recent projects, I assumed it was SEGA that approached Bioware. I'm sure we'll hear more about it soon enough...

Kevar said:
This will be awesome. Bioware is a God.

Technically, you don't capitalize 'god' when you're referring to 'a' god, since it's not a pronoun. In monotheistic theology, 'God' is considered a title/name, so it's a pronoun there.

the concept is so weird, chances are it will turn out great, but still its just so weird. My mind only thinks this will be like Super Paper Mario where its a regular Sonic game but with RPG elements and such.

and please Bioware, do it in 2D.

I can sort of imagine how this went down:

SEGA Exec #1: Okay gentlemen, I'm polling ideas for what to do with our next monthly Sonic game. We need more money to build that Spruce Goose we've been working on since the SEGA CD launched.

SEGA Exec #2: How about a racing game?

SEGA Exec #1: Nah, we just did one of those. Variety, man!

SEGA Exec #3: Snowboarding?

SEGA Exec #1: We need innovation here, people!

SEGA Exec #4: What about an RPG? I hear those are hot right now.

SEGA Exec #1: I LOVE IT. But who to develop? Monolith? Tri-Crescendo? Sonic Team? TOSE?

SEGA Exec #4: What about Bioware?

SEGA Exec #1: Oh yeah, I'll just call them up right now *snickers*. Hey? UH yeah, *snort* Bioware, it's SEGA, you like, you want to make a Sonic RPG for us? Hunh?! You do?!

*hangs up phone.

SEGA Exec #1: Well, shit. They're going to do it. Gentlemen, I believe we can now move up production on the Goose.

TreIII

Linkzg said:
and please Bioware, do it in 2D.

Amen. I'd be open to a lot of ways that they could direct this game, but I really think that they would have better luck if they went for 2D. Unless they were interested in going for a style similar to ASH's...

ant1532 said:
This might be the best Sonic game in a while. Can't ****ing wait.

**** the haters as there is no reason to hate.

Bioware is making a sonic game. Not Sega. There is no reason for his friends to be considered shitty any more given this.

I'm really not interested in playing ANY sonic game, I don't care if it's made by god himself

I was hoping for something more interesting from Bioware's DS project

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can imagine how this will play. You trek through a dungeon in the style of Emerald Hill Zone, you point and click on little furry rabbits to kill them, and you bargain with vendors for Tails fanfics.

I'm sure the game will be great-- cause it's Bioware, duh-- but wow, out of left field.

Unison

Previous attempts at Sonic Role-Playing have been hideous:

212266503_a31a2089e3.jpg

283498905_7cb66e05f1.jpg

spaceball.gif

Ikael

If these are the news 3 weeks prior to an E3, I wonder which kind of WTFish, huge megatons await us.
And screw the haters, this is what Sonic needed: a competent developer + a popular console.

So here's a little synopsis of how I heard about it:

"So yeah there's a new Sonic game for DS."

"So?"

"It's an RPG, cool huh?"

"So?"

"Oh and Bioware is making it."

"WHAT?"

"I said, Bio--"

"WHAT?"

"Bio--"

"WHAT?"

Thoren

Banned
FYI, Sega and Silicon Knights are also working on a project.

Cmon Sega, cant you handle making games by yourself?

Get AM2 on Shenmue 3, stat!

Dragona Akehi said:
So here's a little synopsis of how I heard about it:

"So yeah there's a new Sonic game for DS."

"So?"

"It's an RPG, cool huh?"

"So?"

"Oh and Bioware is making it."

"WHAT?"

"I said, Bio--"

"WHAT?"

"Bio--"

"WHAT?"
:lol Let's hope its good

Thoren said:
FYI, Sega and Silicon Knights are also working on a project.

Get AM2 on Shenmue 3, stat!

Survey says no.

Thoren said:

Not really, no. That path leads eight or nine out of ten times to garbage.

Sega farming stuff out left and right to talented Western developers is one of the smartest decisions they've made. Their current list of US/Canadian development teams working on Sega projects is incredible.

Thoren

Banned
You guys are too harsh.

I know Sonic Team is in a bit of a slump but AM2 still kicks ass. Virtua Tennis 3 and Virtua Fighter 5 are great!

Also I still love me some puyo puyo. :)

Krowley

This is the craziest news in years. I love it.

This is absolute proof that ANYTHING can happen in this industry. I hope even stranger things happen at E3.

Thoren

Banned
I'm kind of confused since its Bioware. I would have loved Square Enix to do it, and have a Super Mario RPG style game. Isnt Mass Effect Bioware's first game without a D12 gameplay system?

D-X

Sonic RPG - Good
+ Bioware - Even Better
+ DS - No room for full voice cast = Excellent

I really hope they use all the cast of the universe and not just the post Adventure cast

Thoren said:
I'm kind of confused since its Bioware. I would have loved Square Enix to do it, and have a Super Mario RPG style game. Isnt Mass Effect Bioware's first game without a D12 gameplay system?
They've done MDK2 as well.

mr_nexus

Banned
LOCK said:
This means that we will finally get a good Sonic game!

Wow

Oh, Sega will find a way to ruin it.

Actually, I'm hoping this will be good. I love RPGs and Sonic 2 was my favorite game as a kid.

jarrod

Banned
This is *real*!?! :lol

Anyway, as far as SEGA's internal development these days goes...

AM teams = rawsome
Nagoshi's team = rawsome
Suzuki's team = mia
consumer teams = bunk

Krowley

3rdman said:
Um....a complete departure from what you would expect from them is different, no?

Yeah you can't get any more different than this from bioware... If sega was making it you could call it a rehash, but for bioware this is totally new territory and it's totally new territory for sonic.

Top western developers making RPG's out of top japanese franchises is the most unique and bizzare thing I've heard of in a while.

You expect japanese company's to make RPG spinnoffs but there are plenty of JRPG company's that would probably be happy to make sonic... In this genre it's particularly strange because of the drastic differences between the japanese idea of an RPG and the western Idea.

If they decided to farm it to a western dev you would expect a quick hack job from some disreputable company, but sega chose Bioware.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
plank said:
I'm calling it.

Sonic The Hedgehog based off the Archie comics series.

You've heard it here first folks. :D

I would certainly buy that since I think it has a lot of potential, and the Archie-created characters (some of which are truly great, such as Sally, Bunnie and Antoine) have been ignored by Sega for far too long.

Bioware will make shitty friends not shitty.

Symytry

McDragon said:
Shining Force? Phantasy star?

EDIT: oh wait...Sonic...

Shard said:
I wish Bioware had chosen one of those instead.

I'm glad they didn't. I haven't enjoyed any of BioWare's console offerings and I wouldn't want to see them ruin Shining Force or Phantasy Star, two of my favorite console franchises.

Sega can test the BioWare waters with Sonic since its okay if he gets burned yet again.

Monk

Banned
I am trying to figure out how sonic can fit into the whole pc style gaming of bioware setup. It seems unfathomable.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
3rdman said:
Um....a complete departure from what you would expect from them is different, no?
I meant different from a Sonic RPG, I wanted their usual darker tone (not teh mature, but more sci-fi ish) RPG. I cannot picture this game honestly, Sonic in a western RPG?

Considering Shining Force has been ruined for awhile(Unless you like mediocre Diablo-clones) and a single-player Phantasy Star may never happen again, I fail to see how Bioware could do anymore damage to either series.

Besides it's an RPG featuring Sonic developed by Bioware, it's original, it's cool, and it's on the DS. It's a winning situation no matter how you look at it.
Hell it's better than any of Sega's internal teams at least(oh sure we could get the Skies of Arcadia team to make a Sonic RPG but oh yeah they must all be dead or something)

Top Bottom