• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Maria - Puerto Rico without power and cleanup underway

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Sheesh. This is awful. I hadn’t followed the storm the last few days, so I have no idea what’s going on until I bumped this thread. I really hope PR can recover.

MaulerX

Dominica is a mess. Puerto Rico going to be even worse. Have friends in / from Dominica and they have started a fundraising comedy night.

Stay safe

Not for nothing but as bad as this is, I very much doubt that.

Here's a headline from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/20/americas/hurricane-maria-caribbean-islands/index.html

Hurricane Maria knocks out power to all of Puerto Rico, cripples other islands

I very much doubt Puerto Rico was "Crippled" as those other islands and some of what's been coming out honestly doesn't resemble what we've seen from those other places.

Mindlog

Family is starting to check in and so far they're fine. Some of their neighbors lost roofs. We tried to make a call to Isabella, but the line is totally unresponsive. Luckily someone else was able to check in there and they're fine too. Naturally they're all without power. Many of them are used to not having AC, but the perishable foods are going to be gone in short order. Hope the restaurants that can open up quickly.

I hope PR GAF made it through as best they could. Crazy powerful storm.

gdt

Just heard from my mom who heard from our family there. My aunts house took some damage but is mostly fine, but my cousins house is completely gone. Literally blown out by the wind. I can’t even imagine. They are low on water and food but apparently tomorrow they’ll get some help.

Can’t even imagine.

Amagon

Just heard from my mom who heard from our family there. My aunts house took some damage but is mostly fine, but my cousins house is completely gone. Literally blown out by the wind. I can’t even imagine. They are low on water and food but apparently tomorrow they’ll get some help.

Can’t even imagine.
Fuck

Vestal

Gold Member
Any updates from Ponce?

We have heard nothing from ponce. Only info I have is that it got hit hard and a picture of Las Delicias which is horrible. heard that la guancha is not there anymore.(wifes family is from Ponce, all 20+ of them) Just to clarify, no contact with anyone from Ponce, but 2nd hand reports of the damages and that picture of Las Delicias.

NewFresh

We have heard nothing from ponce. Only info I have is that it got hit hard and a picture of Las Delicias which is horrible. heard that la guancha is not there anymore.(wifes family is from Ponce, all 20+ of them) Just to clarify, no contact with anyone from Ponce, but 2nd hand reports of the damages and that picture of Las Delicias.

I've been contacting family that is the US but no one has any updates. My grandmas house is closer to Parque de las Bombas than the coast and is two stories, but I'm hoping that she went to my uncles place in Juana Dias since he lives pretty high up a hill.

I just saw the news about la Guancha. I love that place, I just ran across some pictures from the last time we were there.
RqNxZEOl.jpg

kikiribu

So PR got it really bad? This is awful. Not saying there's a connection but these hurricanes and earthquakes have been crazy since the eclipse. I just find the timing weird is all, consistently happening all at once. It's usually not THIS bad.

Vestal

Gold Member
I've been contacting family that is the US but no one has any updates. My grandmas house is closer to Parque de las Bombas than the coast and is two stories, but I'm hoping that she went to my uncles place in Juana Dias since he lives pretty high up a hill.

I just saw the news about la Guancha. I love that place, I just ran across some pictures from the last time we were there.
RqNxZEOl.jpg

I hope your Gma is ok ...

I wish I was down there. I might have lived in Florida for the last 6 years, but I bleed boricua blood, and I weep for my Boriquen and its children tonight.

NewFresh

I hope your Gma is ok ...

I wish I was down there. I might have lived in Florida for the last 6 years, but I bleed boricua blood, and I weep for my Boriquen and its children tonight.

Hoping that I wake up tomorrow to some messages or something. Some kind of confirmation.

Miggytronz

Still no word on my family in Sabana Grande. I saw my mom this afternoon and all she could do was hug me and cry for 30min. Her sisters are all there. My cousins. Their kids. My dads side of his family. It’s so hard to watch this unfold on what I see as the most beautiful place I’ve called home.

El_Chino

Haven't heard from my family in Caguas and Patillas since 4am.

My prayers are with them and everyone in the island. #YoSoyBoricua

Mindlog

That Utuado pic. I know so many neighborhoods that could be.

RqNxZEOl.jpg
I've taken almost the same exact picture. Probably the same birds lol. La Guancha was always a big part of Ponce to me. I hope it comes back better than ever.

Miggytronz

Hurricane Hotlines numbers for Puerto Rico to call and check on Family and Friends.
202-778-0710
787-777-0940
877-976-2400
Please copy and paste this post. 🇵🇷

Has anyone heard any updates from Aguadilla? My brother-in-law and his girlfriend live there, and the last communication we received was early yesterday morning. I assume all the cell towers are down, but it's been hard to find any info on the west side of the island.

Linkark07

Banned
English translation?

Sabana Grande: not affected too much by the rains. Still have water but without electricity and can't communicate with the other parts of the island.

Lajas: buildings with damage and flooding, but not severe damage.

San Germán: a lot of flooding but not too much structural damage.

Mindlog

It's been very hard to establish communications with some. Hoping the flood waters recede quickly and plans are made to get gas stations going. Family in one town is typically more than happy to drive a town over to check on everyone.

Small article on USA Today from someone at a hotel in San Juan.

NewFresh

While we haven't heard from family, I did get word form people who were talking to them just prior to cell signal being lost and they were all ok. So now it's just a waiting game and see what is left when they go back to their homes.

People talking about Ponce being hit really hard.

No word yet from my family in Isabela. This is driving me crazy. I haven't been able to focus the last two days at work. I'm glued to Facebook and the news coverage.

At least I know my family in the metro area is safe. (Where there is still cellphone signal).

Edit: To the poster above 23 deaths so far according to online news reports I saw on Facebook.

There's no power on the island all the news agencies are using Facebook live to communicate.

The water system is working for the most part thanks to about 1200 generators the problem will be if its not possible to bring the diesel / or whatever the generators use for power.

I still haven't seen any update on casualties. I'm hoping that's a good sign?

There are pictures in Pr Informa on facebook to see how bad it looks.

A river in Comerio reached 80 feet and the river behind my grandparents house overflows when it rain.

The situation in PR is very bad.

Still no word from any family including my mom in Cabo Rojo. This is getting really stressful, just not knowing if they're OK or not..

There are pictures in Pr Informa on facebook to see how bad it looks.

A river in Comerio reached 80 feet and the river behind my grandparents house overflows when it rain.

The situation in PR is very bad.

My family is from Comerio. Thankfully, they live up a mountain, but I imagine the pueblo was completely submerged. :(

Agkel

Thanks man, appreciate that link. I actually haven't seen this, but I did read that something like 95 % of the island was without wireless cell access. So I'm just staying hopeful that's the only reason I haven't heard from my family yet.

I think El Vocero was reporting that emergency cell towers were going to start going up today for the metro area and some cities in the east. I had a friend that drove yesterday from SJ to Arecibo and it took him 5 and a half hours to get there. He told me it was destruction all over the north cities.

But for now, best is to try to stay calm and wait for news. As fucking hard as it is...

edit: I also read I think on endi, that the west seemed to be the least affected so far from what little information they've received. I'll post source if I can find it.

Agkel

update via@prinforma:

UPDATES: (from the Governor of PR)
1. From Aguadilla to Humacao no communications.
2. Curfew until Saturday
3. Less than 25% of the island already has water service
4. It is expected to restore communications in 72 hours to almost the entire island
5. Emergency supplies are arriving from FL and NY
6. Gov will fly over the western and mountainous area with the governor of NY and expect to have a report at 3pm. Many mayors have not had official communication.
7. There is gasoline in the country but it is being limited to emergency vehicles and safety personnel only
8. The army is activated
9. There have been 14 Deaths reported.
10. No employer should ask employees to report to their work areas
11. Medical centers will be available to receive patients from all over the island by helicopter
12. Staff and medical equipment are mobilizing from the US
13. The priority is to reestablish the airport and ports
14. There is a structured plan to ensure individual and property security
15. Former Governor Anibal Acevedo Vila joined to offer his help
16. The damage mitigation process is expected not to take more than 48 hours once communications are back with all the mayors.
17. People can now start to request the help of FEMA.

edit 2:

Vestal

Gold Member
Seeing reports that Ocean Park is being evacuated. Water is still rising and reaches up to chest height..

There is a picture of Kasalta with what it looks like at least 4 feet of water surrounding it.

update via@prinforma:

UPDATES: (from the Governor of PR)
1. From Aguadilla to Humacao no communications.
2. Curfew until Saturday
3. Less than 25% of the island already has water service
4. It is expected to restore communications in 72 hours to almost the entire island
5. Emergency supplies are arriving from FL and NY
6. Gov will fly over the western and mountainous area with the governor of NY and expect to have a report at 3pm. Many mayors have not had official communication.
7. There is gasoline in the country but it is being limited to emergency vehicles and safety personnel only
8. The army is activated
9. There have been 14 Deaths reported.
10. No employer should ask employees to report to their work areas
11. Medical centers will be available to receive patients from all over the island by helicopter
12. Staff and medical equipment are mobilizing from the US
13. The priority is to reestablish the airport and ports
14. There is a structured plan to ensure individual and property security
15. Former Governor Anibal Acevedo Vila joined to offer his help
16. The damage mitigation process is expected not to take more than 48 hours once communications are back with all the mayors.
17. People can now start to request the help of FEMA.

When I read the news, I was kinda surprised to see that the NY governor would be going to Puerto Rico. But then I actually thought and remembered that NY has like the second largest population of Puerto Ricans.

xewind

Got not phone signal at all in the metro area (which is devastated), but I managed to get WiFi at San Patricio Plaza. Haven't been able to get in contact with almost anyone, so I have been glued to Facebook and I'm happy to see people are ok. Any news on Camuy? I'm super concerned about a friend in Camuy, no contact with her since Wednesday early in the morning.

Be safe PRGAF, and thanks everyone for your concern. We will get back up from this.

Mindlog

That would be very impressive and very helpful. Some of the pictures and numbers raise concerns. The assistance from the mainland can't get there soon enough.

Vestal

Gold Member
Got not phone signal at all in the metro area (which is devastated), but I managed to get WiFi at San Patricio Plaza. Haven't been able to get in contact with almost anyone, so I have been glued to Facebook and I'm happy to see people are ok. Any news on Camuy? I'm super concerned about a friend in Camuy, no contact with her since Wednesday early in the morning.

Be safe PRGAF, and thanks everyone for your concern. We will get back up from this.

Only info I can find about camuy is that while it is not 100% without comms, that the river is still above flood stage. Glad you are ok.

Top Bottom