• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 3 |OT| An Epidemic of "Leakyolinitus" has Broken Out

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What they get wrong about the Detroit Lions

Life is tough for Detroit Lions fans. They’ve had to endure decades upon decades of fruitless fandom. It takes the patience of a saint to follow and devote one’s self to franchise, but for some, there just isn’t any other option.

But times are beginning to change. On Monday, Jim Caldwell won his 29th game as the Lions head coach. He now has the best record of any Detroit coach through 50 games since Buddy Parker in the 1950s.

I bring this up because SB Nation is running a theme this week entitled “What they get wrong about your team.”

The Lions are 2-0. They are in first place in their division. And they’ve taken down two teams that were expected to compete for a playoff spot this year. Despite all of that, the Lions are still not getting much respect from “them,” the national media.

Both ESPN and CBS dropped the Lions in their power rankings this week, despite defeating a desperate Giants team on the road. Pro Football Focus ranks the Lions 18th in their PFFELO rankings (behind the Bills???). And then there’s FOX, who is covering the NFC showdown between the 2-0 Lions and Falcons this week. They’ve decided to go with their No. 4 broadcast team of Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston to cover the event.

So what do “they” get wrong about the Detroit Lions? I think they focus too much on the history and not enough on the present. There are plenty of reasons to doubt this current Lions team. Their defense has yet to be truly tested, and their offensive line has some clear questions, especially on the left side.

But let’s not get it twisted. The Lions have been one of the better teams in the NFL since 2014, and have never been treated like it. Just look at how good they’ve been since Jim Bob Cooter took over offensive coordinator duties.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/9/20/16339606/what-they-get-wrong-about-the-detroit-lions

I was not surprised, yet still somewhat annoyed, to see the Lions drop in ESPN Power Rankings. It's not surprising considering absolutely no national NFL analysts, outside Peter Schrager of NFLN, actually have watched the Detroit Lions play. All of them, even great analysts like Dan LeBetard, Tony Kornheiser, just spew the same nonsensical talking points that I see on this forum and elsewhere.

Our team was coming together last season when we went on the road and absolutely handled the New Orleans Saints on the road. The next week against the Bears, Stafford dislocated his finger on his throwing hand. If that does not happen there is no doubt in my mind we win the NFC North and make a playoff run. Yet national analysts actually use our playoff loss against Seattle, where Matthew Stafford had a dislocated finger, as evidence that he can't win a playoff game.

Whatever man, I love being the underdog. Even if we go 13-3 this season, and meet the 9-7, 11-5 Packers in the playoffs we'll still be underdogs (and I'd understand why). But as the Lions post game shirts say: DETROIT VS. EVERYBODY.

Convinced some people at work to get Pokken for Switch. Gunna have some rooftop battles.

Also the Chargers should've just moved to London. There's no way they'd get less fans than they're getting in LA. And 1pm eastern start times is borderline prime time over in England.

Your comment just made me realize that a London team would never get a home primetime game. Imagine having to sell out a stadium for a 130 AM game.

tmdorsey

What they get wrong about the Detroit Lions

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/9/20/16339606/what-they-get-wrong-about-the-detroit-lions

I was not surprised, yet still somewhat annoyed, to see the Lions drop in ESPN Power Rankings. It's not surprising considering absolutely no national NFL analysts, outside Peter Schrager of NFLN, actually have watched the Detroit Lions play. All of them, even great analysts like Dan LeBetard, Tony Kornheiser, just spew the same nonsensical talking points that I see on this forum and elsewhere.

Our team was coming together last season when we went on the road and absolutely handled the New Orleans Saints on the road. The next week against the Bears, Stafford dislocated his finger on his throwing hand. If that does not happen there is no doubt in my mind we win the NFC North and make a playoff run. Yet national analysts actually use our playoff loss against Seattle, where Matthew Stafford had a dislocated finger, as evidence that he can't win a playoff game.

Whatever man, I love being the underdog. Even if we go 13-3 this season, and meet the 9-7, 11-5 Packers in the playoffs we'll still be underdogs (and I'd understand why). But as the Lions post game shirts say: DETROIT VS. EVERYBODY.

The real issue here is why is a match up between 2 2-0 teams, one of which is current NFC Champions getting the 4th broadcast team?

Of course the 0-2 Giants and 1-1 Eagles is worthy of the showcase game of the week.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The real issue here is why is a match up between 2 2-0 teams, one of which is current NFC Champions getting the 4th broadcast team?

You know, I actually really like Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston. Probably my favorite commentator duo next to Mike Tirico-Whoever.

Much better than Fox #1 team of Joe Buck but still it is interesting they're not sending there so called #1 team.

tmdorsey

You know, I actually really like Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston. Probably my favorite commentator duo next to Mike Tirico-Whoever.

Much better than Fox #1 team of Joe Buck but still it is interesting they're not sending there so called #1 team.

Very true. It's not that I want Buck and Aikman just curious as to why it's like 4th game on the list for them.

I guess I should remember it's all about tv market size and not potential good matchups.

Your comment just made me realize that a London team would never get a home primetime game. Imagine having to sell out a stadium for a 130 AM game.

If it was a one time a year thing, move it to a Saturday night and the biggest problem would be with public transport and the logistics of having tens of thousands of fans wandering the streets at 4 am rather than selling out the stadium.

Of course, the stadium would be full of fans off their tits after drinking all day and night but that just adds to the atmosphere.

Of course the 0-2 Giants and 1-1 Eagles is worthy of the showcase game of the week.

There's a significant ratings desparity between the NFCE and everyone else.

Striker

I admit I didn't watch the Broncos-Cowboys game fully, but did Troy Aikman call it? I never heard him. He often gets quiet when his team are losing.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I admit I didn't watch the Broncos-Cowboys game fully, but did Troy Aikman call it? I never heard him. He often gets quiet when his team are losing.

I think they did call it, not positive though. I don't mind Aikman it's Joe Buck who is terrible.

No one is as bad as Phil Simms though. I think having him commentate on huge NFL games like the Super Bowl actually hurts ratings.

NFL Network, ESPN, CBS, Fox etc. really hurt the TV product by putting out shitty commentators like Phil Simms or Rex Ryan just because they're former NFL players or coaches. It's nice if someone has actually played the game, and I like guys like Gruden or Madden, but the vast majority of the play by play guys or pre game show guys are terrible at their jobs.

It's something that the NFL should be concerned about considering they may lose $200 Million in advertising revenue if ratings continue to drop.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.holl...-tv-ratings-slide-worries-wall-street-1041187

I do think a lot of the doom and gloom about the NFL is overstated but the NFL should be concerned about its TV product and how it's presented.

#Raiders have 3 OL graded in the top 10 at their position this season Rodney Hudson #2 center Kelechi Osemele #3 guard Donald Penn #9 tackle

And the other 2 Jackson and Newhouse haven't allowed a pressure either.

Hugs my o'line

CdtAca3UEAAbJs9.jpg:large

newhouse not pictured

brentech

I have literally never considered or cared who calls a packers game. they usually say what I'm telling my wife like 10 seconds later or not at all. I don't think I've ever listened to the box and thought, wow, that did a good job!

tl;dr why is this something you care about?

DKM9dZGW4AAR8zU.jpg:large

our line with two replacement tackles honestly played better than some other teams healthy lines. Kevin King seemed to play better and better as the game went on. Hopefully the Packers have found their new top CB.

effzee

Market size and ratings.

So eagles gonna trade for shady?

Today's no huddle show was talking about the possibility.
It seems like the most Howie thing ever.

How reliable are these guys?

effzee

Damn. I get the thought process and I think they'll eventually give Seumalo a chance at C but I thought they'd let him get his lumps. I think you're right he'll run the ball more because Warmack has actually been a decent run blocker. He's just awful in pass protection. Hopefully it works out

He can't be any worse against the pass than Seumalo was pass blocking. I think 4 out of the 6 sacks were his fault. At least Chance might create a whole or two.

Pepiope

On the field or is some fan reenact Silver Linings Playbook in the parking lot?
both

Jeff McLane ✔@Jeff_McLane
Other players on offense are confirming that Chance Warmack will replace Isaac Seumalo at LG.

Chance is getting a chance!

Market size and ratings.

How reliable are these guys?
It's Joe Giglio, Eliot Shorr-Parks and Matt Lombardo. Not sure how reliable they are. But it sounded more like what they think will happen based off the bills shopping shady and Howie being desperate to undo every move chip made.

Pepiope

It's Joe Giglio, Eliot Shorr-Parks and Matt Lombardo. Not sure how reliable they are. But it sounded more like what they think will happen based off the bills shopping shady and Howie being desperate to undo every move chip made.
Howie isn't gonna take on Shady's contract.

Pepiope

Only a $5.5m cap hit this year.
We don't have picks we can really part with either. Unless they're going to take like a 5th.

Edit:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20770546/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-new-contract-getting-done
The source confirmed that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones raised issues about the deal and wanted to open up the search during the process. ESPN reported Sunday that Jones had inserted himself into discussions.

"That's what he tried to do," the source said, "but he got shot down."

Get fucked, Jerry.

Tried out VR today for the first time at a VR studio. Wasn't mainly games, played around with the location/mapping/3D model stuff.

I'll say I'm sold on VR not just the gaming stuff but the real world applications. I'll be keeping a eye on it.

Football things
Zac Jackson
Zac Jackson @AkronJackson
Myles Garrett walked through the locker room when it was open today. He was wearing a wrap on his right leg but not a boot.
He biked at practice today, and Hue hasn't ruled him out for Sunday 👀👀
Eric Galko @OptimumScouting
NFL source believes it's "better than 50/50" Josh Gordon gets reinstated this year.

Still far from a lock. We could learn more this week.
🤔👀🤔

Tried out VR today for the first time at a VR studio. Wasn't mainly games, played around with the location/mapping/3D model stuff.

I'll say I'm sold on VR not just the gaming stuff but the real world applications. I'll be keeping a eye on it.

Football things

He biked at practice today, and Hue hasn't ruled him out for Sunday 👀👀

🤔👀🤔

I played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes in on Gear VR and it was fantastic. Waiting for the next gen of Oculus/Vive before deciding whether to jump in or not, but the tech is definitely cool.

As for Myles, dude needs to put his pride to one side and take his time coming back. Better to miss an extra couple of games now than to return to early, plenty of time to make it back on the road to 8-8.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes in on Gear VR and it was fantastic. Waiting for the next gen of Oculus/Vive before deciding whether to jump in or not, but the tech is definitely cool

A proper NFL Blitz style game in VR would be killer, even if you're restricted to QB only.

Top Bottom