• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is Spielberg's Place Among Directors?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Easily one of the greats, no question on it. He is the one who turned cinema into what it is today.

The only issue people have with him is, his films became the staple of modern cinema. So saying you know what you're getting is just proving how influential he was, because very few directors working don't borrow from him.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
A good oner draws me in and makes me feel things. An Innarito oner makes me stroke my beard politely and think about how I'm watching a oner. Cauron's oners with Lubezki feel more motivated to me.

In Birdman especially it feels like you can see actor's trying to hit their marks, and you have shots that say nothing to the audience other than "we're hiding an edit here"

I can fuck with peak Spielberg any day. I love his overlapping dialogue and sentimentality. He also uses sound well. I think he is great. The only people I have met who hate him that also work "in the biz" are really young. It's a common phase I think.

The classic, inoffensive family adventure movies Schindlers List and Jaws.

Wholesome fun for the whole family!

Jaws_ohshit.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

He's not a hack, he can put out incredible films, he just doesn't put out the kind of films I like (besides Schindler's List, Temple of Doom and Saving Private Ryan)

Edit: Forgot he did AI, that one too.

Like the tier behind Ford/Hawks/Wilder. Make sure to check out Duel. Try to avoid 1941. Continue to wonder if you'll ever watch Always (you won't). Should have other directors end his movies for him sometimes.

People calling Spielberg Pizza Hut. Jesus.

He's likely the greatest living director based on what he's done for the industry and is directly responsible for every cool nerd thing we love in film.

oon

Banned
To me he’s at the very very top of second tier, first tier being Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Fellini, Lynch, Bergman…

I think he's sort of the Stephen King of the movie industry. He has made a variety of loved works, but some are rough around the edges and other works of his are not of any significance.

One of the best, imo. He combines Hitchcock's technical precision, visual storytelling, and knack for suspense with incredible heart and optimism. Sometimes he gets flack for being overly sentimental, and it's true it does occasionally hurt his films, but it allows him access to an emotional core most other big Hollywood films will never be able to tap into due to an inherent cynicism and aloofness that keeps the viewers at arms bay.

Even if his current output isn't as good as it once was I'd still rather see a weaker Spielberg than most of the movies Disney is pumping out.

All of this. Plus his work on jaws and raiders alone puts his stuff among the greatest blockbusters ever

oon

Banned
You guys are the worst. Dude is the most versatile and influential director ever.

The Pizza Hut of directors?

Christ.

He's not Pizza Hut, he's like a 1-star Michelin restaurant - and it's an affordable one, too. But there are definitely better restaurants.

People that say Spielberg's recent films are shit are just mental. Its only by his very high standards they fall a little short.

Its the same with Scorsese. Imagine a first time or relatively young filmmaker made something with the craft of Shutter Island or the precision and restraint of Bridge of Spies or Lincoln. Everyone would be hailing them as the next best filmmaker, the one that's going to sweep the Oscars in the next few years etc.

Because they aren't Goodfellas or Jaws, Marty and Berg get called shit for it.

Fercho

In think he is up there among the equivalence of the gods of Olympus of cinema.

He is a gifted storyteller, the only thing i could criticize is that he has this urge to provide always an explanation and always a resolution. Ambiguity is not his forte.

wandering

Banned
May be irrational, but to me he's the kind of artist that now could make any film he wanted in Spanish, and elevate Latin American Cinema, but instead would only make a film in Spanish, or any foreign language just so he can exploit the foreignness of it. Have American viewers read the subtitles and feel cosmopolitan, and remind the world he is cosmopolitan.

Interesting, hadn't heard that perspective. So you're saying he's kind of sold out for international cred?

antonz

Belongs in the top tier for sure and can easily be argued for a top spot.

His more recent work has been less mega blockbuster but he's at a point where he can basically do whatever he wants. I liked Lincoln, Bridge of Spies etc. Certainly not Mega Blockbusters but they weren't terrible either.

silentg

Some insane talk in this thread. Spielberg is an absolute master of his craft. Top three if not top one. Jaws is a perfect film.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You guys are the worst. Dude is the most versatile and influential director ever.

The Pizza Hut of directors?

Christ.

I do hold him solely responsible for the shaky cam action scenes that still inundate us to this day due to Saving Private Ryan.

That's about it though.

Not sure what the hell the rest of the posts are about. Spielberg, Lucas, and Zemeckis were pretty much the only movies I knew of when I was a kid. And they are iconic to this day.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
He's not Pizza Hut, he's like a 1-star Michelin restaurant - and it's an affordable one, too. But there are definitely better restaurants.

I don't understand.

Is "commercially successful" must always be separated from "accomplished directors"? Because that's the feeling I get from people who disparaged Spielberg, in that he's not "artsy" enough to be called a top director simply because he has created movies for mass audience to enjoy.

It's like, in order to be called top director you're required to be niche or something.

I do hold him solely responsible for the shaky cam action scenes that still inundate us to this day due to Saving Private Ryan.

That's about it though.

Not sure what the hell the rest of the posts are about. Spielberg, Lucas, and Zemeckis were pretty much the only movies I knew of when I was a kid. And they are iconic to this day.
Except he used shaky cam expertly in SPR. Not Spielberg's fault all the Paul Greengrasses that came afterward decided to use it as a crutch without putting any effort into actually trying to frame their subjects. Spielberg's use was effective and thoughtful.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Spielberg belongs on a tier with John Ford, Stanley Kubrick, D.W. Griffith, and Frank Capra, as one of the greatest American Directors.

People treat Spielberg like Demille - a legitimate case of a director being a showman first and storyteller and artist second.

I hope one day they replace the Demille award with Spielberg's name.

Interesting, hadn't heard that perspective. So you're saying he's kind of sold out for international cred?

Maybe that's part of it, but I wouldn't call him a sellout (it is not for me to judge). I think it would be selfish of me to believe we are entitled to an artist's works. It is just the representation part, that I think it is a bit exploitative, not exactly romanticizing poverty or extreme life conditions, but I feel there is some voyeuristic gaze in his films towards foreignness and the marginalized.

His classics probably have the best pacing / firmest placement of story beats in film.

Maybe I'm just saying that because some of his movies were among the first films I ever watched thus giving me rose colored glasses towards his style; but I only saw Close Encounters for the first time two weeks ago, and for that movie to leave the same kind of impression on me now like Jurassic Park did when I was a kid is goddamn impressive.

Some people regard him as a hugely popular hack

I can imagine the types who consider him hack. Pretentious wanna be critics who only watch foreign films and sip latte's from avocados.

He made 3 of my all time favourite films, jaws, raiders and saving private Ryan. All beautifully made, totally different and undeniably Spielberg. The guy is a god damn treasure

C4Lukins

I would say top 3, and probably my favorite overall.

Not a big fan of his last decade after the amazing Munich. But even those films are good, just mostly below par compared to the rest of his filmography.

The amount of great films he has made though, only Scorsese is a competitor.

As far as average quality, I would put a few directors above him, but they typically have made less than a dozen films.

sephiroth7x

Great reputation I always believed?

He isn't what he used to be, whether that's him being part of a different time in cinema or not, who knows. But he hasn't done anything worthwhile for quite some time...

He isn't my favourite director by any means but one has to respect and almost envy the kind of career he has.

blackflag

Top 10 for sure.

Schindler's list, jaws, Amistad, Raiders...cmon he's easy top 10. He has range too. Who else could direct something like ET and Schindlers List.

Top 5 easy if we are just talking about Americans.

Kurosawa always #1 overall though.

One of the greats. Even his lesser films are interesting. He doesn't need to be doing big blockbusters anymore so he just does the films that interest him.

His greats:
Close Encounters of the Third kind
Jaws
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jurassic Park

His good but not quite great films
Munich
Catch Me If you Can
Lincoln
Temple of Doom
Last Crusade
ET (doesn't hold up for me like so many others)

Nothing Special but watchable
Bridge of Spies
TinTin
that one everyone thinks is the worst ever
Jurassic Park II

Terrible

Haven't seen:
Sugarland Express, Duel, Always, Amistad, Hook, Empire of the Sun or The BFG

that's just the most impressive body of work. The ones that are less entertaining aren't due to his direction, more they didn't have the spark in the writing.

note: i coincidentally rewatched Jaws and Lincoln over the last week

I love his work. His mastery of being able to tell an intimate story against a much bigger background for the audience to empathize with or relate to has always been amazing to me.

One of the greats. Even his lesser films are interesting. He doesn't need to be doing big blockbusters anymore so he just does the films that interest him.

His greats:
Close Encounters of the Third kind
Jaws
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jurassic Park
The Color Purple
Minority Report
Empire of The Sun
Hook
AI
Amistad
Poltergiest
ftfy

Vice

He's been one of the best living directors for over 40 years now. Puts out at least two great films a decade and a quite a few good ones. One of the best filmmakers of all time, easily. Great visuals, great performances, good eye for scripts 99% of the time.

Top Bottom