• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8bitdo announces new controllers SNES30/SFC30 Pro, NES30 Fight Stick & Cube speakers

hotcyder

Popa is that you

DCOX4oRVwAA7boV.jpg
18j1wisssh3p3jpg.jpg

dolabla

Just received my GameInformer yesterday and saw this in the new issue. Sorry for the low quality pic. My camera = very bad:

gk2AIxX.jpg

$44.99 for the controller! Not bad

Just received my GameInformer yesterday and saw this in the new issue. Sorry for the low quality pic. My camera = very bad:

gk2AIxX.jpg

$44.99 for the controller! Not bad
Nope, and since I own some others controllers by them I'll have no problem pulling the trigger. Kinda excited for this one and the Duke remake.

Just saw that the SF30 Pro and the SN30 Pro are up on Amazon for preorder in case anyone is interested.

Totes did not realize these also had rumble and motion controls inside, making them full pro controller replacements. While I do love my NES30 pro to pack along with my tablet I wasn't considering getting one of these til now.

Question for those who've used their other stuff in the past though, I've had some real issues getting my NES30P to sync with my Switch. I've gotten it to work maybe once. The controller doesn't seem to consistently go into the right syncing mode, and the one time I got it to work I think it messed up joycon syncing until I hard reset the console. It's Power+Y to get into switch syncing mode, 4 blue pulses? And then hold the sync button for 3 seconds, constant pulses? And then L+R to sync like a normal switch controller?

PhoenixTank

Anybody on here pick up the controller yet? If so, how you liking it?
Yeah, actually. It seems good so far. Only real blip was that I couldn't get it to connect to my Switch with the provided instructions, but downloading a firmware update from 8bitdo sorted that out. v1.03 -> 1.2 I think.
I think they may have improved the dpad a bit compared to the SN30/SF30, but I haven't opened it up to check if the contacts are different or not. Not completely sure on that point, but during the course of 20 minutes of play I couldn't get it to register weird inputs. I'll probably have to test side by side at some point.

Rumble is there and definitely lacks the subtleties of the "HD Rumble" in the joycons. Not bad, just standard rumble that is more noticeable. I actually forgot that it is meant to do motion controls too so haven't tested that.
Everything else is as you'd expect, really - a nice, cheaper alternative to the official switch pro controller.

If these were Xbox One or PS4 compatible I'd be ordering one right now. I really hope that they add modern game console support (beyond the Switch) to these as I'd love to be able to play the new Street Fighter compilation and my Xbox Live Arcade titles on my Xbone with this.

Yeah, actually. It seems good so far...

Thanks for your detailed impressions. I'll be grabbing one of these when I get a Switch.

Darhkwing

Be warned the rumble is very loud and off-putting. It's constantly rumbling when playing Mario Odyssey. Shame as the pad isn't too bad otherwise.

I did also change rumble sensitivity in the game but no change really.

EricB

Anybody on here pick up the controller yet? If so, how you liking it?

Picked up both the SNES and SF versions. The controller seems pretty great so far except for the rumble, which has already been mentioned above. I thought I’d get it for my son since he is tiny, but the ridiculous amount of rumble in Mario Odyssey had him requesting his regular Wii U Pro controller within minutes.
Overall—after very light usage, I’ll put in more time tomorrow—it looks and feels amazing. Hopefully future firmware will take care of the rumble issues.

ktroopa

Be warned the rumble is very loud and off-putting. It's constantly rumbling when playing Mario Odyssey. Shame as the pad isn't too bad otherwise.

I did also change rumble sensitivity in the game but no change really.

Update the firmware to v1.20. this fixes the rumble issue. I did it myself, loads better now.

http://support.8bitdo.com

You can also disable rumble at anytime by holding L,R and SELECT. Repeat the button combo to renable rumble

the fact that this isn't available for pre-order on amazon canada makes me sad :(

I live in Canada and pre-ordered on amazon.com. Just got it. Works great so far after the firmware update.

Now I just need Nintendo to release NA snes themed joycons and I'm set!

JP

I'm so confused about all the different controllers that they release, I'm sorry for asking here a this is about a specific model but I wasn't able to find a general thread for all their controllers.

I'm only wanting one for the NES/SNES Mini Classics and only to play NES & SNES game, am I right that they're all compatible with those as long as I have one of the Retro Adapter things for the controllers?

As I'm only going to be using it for NES & SNES games I don't really need the sticks so I've been thinking about buying the SFC30 controller instead of the more expensive newer versions with the sticks, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy the older pads?

PhoenixTank

I'm so confused about all the different controllers that they release, I'm sorry for asking here a this is about a specific model but I wasn't able to find a general thread for all their controllers.

I'm only wanting one for the NES/SNES Mini Classics and only to play NES & SNES game, am I right that they're all compatible with those as long as I have one of the Retro Adapter things for the controllers?

As I'm only going to be using it for NES & SNES games I don't really need the sticks so I've been thinking about buying the SFC30 controller instead of the more expensive newer versions with the sticks, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy the older pads?

Hey dude - if you are okay with the slightly different design and only want them for the mini classics you could grab this. Just for SNES/NES mini - not switch, android or pc as far as I can tell (I don't own any of these pads)

If not, you need one "retro receiver for nes/snes classic" (not the same as what you had pictured - look at the connector)
AND one SFC30 pad. Checking amazon quickly, this option looks to be more expensive than getting the combined 2.4ghz wireless model, but is more flexible.

As for the "pro" pads in this thread, only thing that might be applicable to you is the potential dpad quality improvement - which I need to check again to be a bit more certain. Might just be me!

JP

Hey dude - if you are okay with the slightly different design and only want them for the mini classics you could grab this. Just for SNES/NES mini - not switch, android or pc as far as I can tell (I don't own any of these pads)

If not, you need one "retro receiver for nes/snes classic" (not the same as what you had pictured - look at the connector)
AND one SFC30 pad. Checking amazon quickly, this option looks to be more expensive than getting the combined 2.4ghz wireless model, but is more flexible.

As for the "pro" pads in this thread, only thing that might be applicable to you is the potential dpad quality improvement - which I need to check again to be a bit more certain. Might just be me!
Thanks, I had been looking into the SF30 too but I'm not entirely sure what I feel about the aesthetics. I know that aesthetics aren't the most important thing and I haven't ruled it out completely but I may just wait and see if there are any 8bitdo controllers in the christmas/new year sales that we'll be having shortly before I buy anything.

I was even considering buying the SFC30 and putting the internals inside an official SNES controller case as looking online, it seems to be pretty easy to do. We'll see though.

SMattera

Thanks, I had been looking into the SF30 too but I'm not entirely sure what I feel about the aesthetics. I know that aesthetics aren't the most important thing and I haven't ruled it out completely but I may just wait and see if there are any 8bitdo controllers in the christmas/new year sales that we'll be having shortly before I buy anything.

I was even considering buying the SFC30 and putting the internals inside an official SNES controller case as looking online, it seems to be pretty easy to do. We'll see though.

The 8bitdo controllers are good, but they aren't as good as the official Nintendo ones that come with the NES/SNES classic. The dpad is a little less precise.

I would recommend getting the 8bitdo Retro Receiver and then plugging the Nintendo controller into a wiimote. It's not totally wireless but pretty close.

EricB

The 8bitdo controllers are good, but they aren't as good as the official Nintendo ones that come with the NES/SNES classic. The dpad is a little less precise.

I’m not so sure about that. I’ve been putting the SF30 Pro to the test and the dpad is pretty damn good. I played a full arcade run of Ultra Street Fighter 2 and I never missed a move.
After that, I played through the Mine stage of Mighty Gunvolt Burst and the dpad again performed beautifully.
Then I moved on to the Mummy Remastered. Those shooting angles were always kind of a pain using the Joycons. Not so with the SF30 Pro.

I have a regular SN30, an official Wii Super Famicom pad, and an original SNES controller. I’ll pit them up against one another later, but for now I am extremely pleased with the SF/SN30 Pro. As a bit of a controller collector, I basically picked them up on a whim. After actually using it for a bit, it has very quickly become one of my favorite controllers to use. It strikes the right balance between nostalgia (the SNES pad is my favorite pad), quality, and form factor. While the NES 30 Pro looked cool, it was more of a novelty that was difficult to use and required compromise. These, on the other hand, seem to be up to the task for most any game. The dpad is great, the sticks are large enough and feel good, and the L/R and L2/R2 are positioned well and are shaped differently enough so that they are easy to distinguish between in play. I’ll keep testing, but things look very good so far. In fact, I am now really looking forward to using one of these on my Analogue Super NT come
February and I immediately ordered a retro receiver.

Edit: I nearly forgot to mention: I updated to the most current firmware, and all rumble issues have indeed been eliminated

dolabla

Yeah, actually. It seems good so far. Only real blip was that I couldn't get it to connect to my Switch with the provided instructions, but downloading a firmware update from 8bitdo sorted that out. v1.03 -> 1.2 I think.
I think they may have improved the dpad a bit compared to the SN30/SF30, but I haven't opened it up to check if the contacts are different or not. Not completely sure on that point, but during the course of 20 minutes of play I couldn't get it to register weird inputs. I'll probably have to test side by side at some point.

Rumble is there and definitely lacks the subtleties of the "HD Rumble" in the joycons. Not bad, just standard rumble that is more noticeable. I actually forgot that it is meant to do motion controls too so haven't tested that.
Everything else is as you'd expect, really - a nice, cheaper alternative to the official switch pro controller.

Picked up both the SNES and SF versions. The controller seems pretty great so far except for the rumble, which has already been mentioned above. I thought I'd get it for my son since he is tiny, but the ridiculous amount of rumble in Mario Odyssey had him requesting his regular Wii U Pro controller within minutes.
Overall—after very light usage, I'll put in more time tomorrow—it looks and feels amazing. Hopefully future firmware will take care of the rumble issues.

Awesome! I just placed my order for the SN30 Pro. I will be sure to update the firmware right out of the box. I had been using just the regular SFC30/SN30 controllers with my Switch to play Mario Kart, USF2 and they worked fantastic. It just didn't have all the buttons.

I thought the dpad was already pretty good on the regular SFC30/SN30 controllers, so to hear they might have improved it even more is great. I own the Official Switch Pro Controller, but the SN30 Pro will definitely get the nod over that just based on being able to play games with an SNES style controller :)

SMattera

I’m not so sure about that. I’ve been putting the SF30 Pro to the test and the dpad is pretty damn good. I played a full arcade run of Ultra Street Fighter 2 and I never missed a move.
After that, I played through the Mine stage of Mighty Gunvolt Burst and the dpad again performed beautifully.
Then I moved on to the Mummy Remastered. Those shooting angles were always kind of a pain using the Joycons. Not so with the SF30 Pro.

I have a regular SN30, an official Wii Super Famicom pad, and an original SNES controller. I’ll pit them up against one another later, but for now I am extremely pleased with the SF/SN30 Pro. As a bit of a controller collector, I basically picked them up on a whim. After actually using it for a bit, it has very quickly become one of my favorite controllers to use. It strikes the right balance between nostalgia (the SNES pad is my favorite pad), quality, and form factor. While the NES 30 Pro looked cool, it was more of a novelty that was difficult to use and required compromise. These, on the other hand, seem to be up to the task for most any game. The dpad is great, the sticks are large enough and feel good, and the L/R and L2/R2 are positioned well and are shaped differently enough so that they are easy to distinguish between in play. I’ll keep testing, but things look very good so far. In fact, I am now really looking forward to using one of these on my Analogue Super NT come
February and I immediately ordered a retro receiver.

Edit: I nearly forgot to mention: I updated to the most current firmware, and all rumble issues have indeed been eliminated

I haven't tried the SN30 Pro yet, but the SNES Classic controller is definitely better than the 8bitdo SNES30. The SNES30 isn't a bad controller, but the dpad is just a little off.

JP

Are there any known fake 8bitdo controllers? I keep thinking about buying one of these on eBay and the price seems to vary quiet a bit from seller to seller, they're quite a bit cheaper than on Amazon and the cheapest one that I can see is £14.99 from "China/Hong Kong/Taiwan" and that worries me slightly.

eBay - £14.99
Amazon - £23.67

It's about £10 cheaper than buying one on Amazon but all the customer feedback on eBay suggests that they're fine, I know the delivery will take a while but I'm in no hurry as it's for the Super Nt which, at the very earliest, will be with me in February.

It's good to get things at a discount but I really don't want to be buying a fake. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom