• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Prime Minister:"We need to stand against gamergate and video games misogyny"

• Thread starter Deleted member 126221
  • Start date

oneils

What? Trudeau is the Prime Minister, not a designate. What are you talking about?

He is still technically leader of the Liberal Party. His constituents have elected him as a member of parliament.

Harper has resigned as leader of the conservative party of canada, but he is still technically prime minister. He still has to hand in his resignation to the governor general. Then the governor general will ask parliament to form a government. He will probably ask Trudeau to try to form a government.

There is a good article about it, here: http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/when-does-justin-trudeau-become-prime-minister/

Orca

You're all reading that tweet wrong. Dyack is saying he is against gamer gate and wants to talk to the prime minster about the issues.

No he's not. He's a big supporter of it - he thinks it picked up the 'movement' against video game journalism that he started.

dyackecuzf.jpg

MutFox

Banned
It's pretty hard to feel united and reconciled with bigots. People who choose to still associate with this hate movement after over a year of blind rationalization of an obvious hate movement are lost causes like your racist grandpa or the fascist cousin.

I was saying more about guys in here saying it's a problem about everyone, not just women.
We have to solve some issues together first, before moving on to others.

Once enough people take a stand, GG outliers will come around.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Generally when politicians criticize particular aspects of popular culture, it just becomes more popular. This thread is the same thing as the churchgoers in Footloose nodding along to John Lithgow talking about dancing. So how about we just keep the virtue signaling to OT?

marrec

Banned
Generally when politicians criticize particular aspects of popular culture, it just becomes more popular. This thread is the same thing as the churchgoers in Footloose nodding along to John Lithgow talking about dancing. So how about we just keep the virtue signaling to OT?

Come on, we're clearly Kevin Bacon in this scenario.

BY2K

Membero Americo
He is still technically leader of the Liberal Party. His constituents have elected him as a member of parliament.

Harper has resigned as leader of the conservative party of canada, but he is still technically prime minister. He still has to hand in his resignation to the governor general. Then the governor general will ask parliament to form a government. He will probably ask Trudeau to try to form a government.

There is a good article about it, here: http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/when-does-justin-trudeau-become-prime-minister/

But it's only matter of weeks before he officially becomes Prime Minister. You think he's gonna change his comment then?

No he's not. He's a big supporter of it - he thinks it picked up the 'movement' against video game journalism that he started.

dyackecuzf.jpg
Dyack is (willfully?) clueless to how ripped apart he and his later games were on the same places that started GG.

tldr: GamerGate never mattered, still doesn't matter, and instead of giving them attention we should have those conversations that everyone always say need to take place.
Don't fool yourself with thinking that not talking about GamerGate will make it go away, it wouldnt. What it most probably would do is create an illusion it did with only the people in your social circle to not talk about it.

The harassment of females online will continue however, and that's the problem. It won't go away just because some decide to turn a blind eye on it. Bullies that can hide under anonymity can just go crazy because they know they can do it with very little repercussions.

jholmes

First of all, you're right.
Second of all, no one here voted for him because of this comment.

C'mon son.

...I don't think I said a bunch of time-travelling voters read these comments that were published after the election, did I? No, no I didn't.

I do think it's a bit reductive for people to go "WOW wowowowow he's so COOL" in the thread like this is the most important political issue in Canada.

I really really really really really wish they'd change the name of this bullshit misogyny campaign to "bullshit misogyny campaign" or something. "Gamergate" implies that this is about video games and it hasn't been about video games, I dunno, at all?

I really really really really really wish they'd change the name of this bullshit misogyny campaign to "bullshit misogyny campaign" or something. "Gamergate" implies that this is about video games and it hasn't been about video games, I dunno, at all?

This. Call it what it is. People being cunts online.

Overside

Banned
Holy shit, are gators really stupid enough to try and target t he prime minister of canada?

Im going to need popcorn. So much fucking popcorn.

Dueck

Banned
Good luck with that.

Doxxing and threatening the Canadian Prime Minister - the leader of an entire fucking country - is going to go a whole lot differently than harassing a female game dev that only a handful of people know off the top of their heads.

Ages ago, late '90s, some kid in my city sent a death threat anonymously to the PM at the time and my dad and another cop just showed up at his school out of the blue and took him for a chat. He lost his nerve on the spot and was a pile of regret, no further action was needed. I'm sure this stuff happens all the time.

I voted Liberal in this election, and I'm happy things went this way. Very happy! That said, if either of the others had won and paraded ideas I disagreed with, I'd have said "that's democracy" and waited it out.

...I don't think I said a bunch of time-travelling voters read these comments that were published after the election, did I? No, no I didn't.

I do think it's a bit reductive for people to go "WOW wowowowow he's so COOL" in the thread like this is the most important political issue in Canada.

But it's gaming news.

So. Again. Salty or just nonsense?

Don't fool yourself with thinking that not talking about GamerGate will make it go away, it wouldnt. What it most probably would do is create an illusion it did with only the people in your social circle to not talk about it.

The harassment of females online will continue however, and that's the problem. It won't go away just because some decide to turn a blind eye on it. Bullies that can hide under anonymity can just go crazy because they know they can do it with very little repercussions.

So, we can't have a conversion about the harassment of females online without always mentioning gamergate, posting screenshots of what they have to say and constantly derailing threads on said topic to rants about how evil they are? Doesn't the fact that GamerGate keeps being mentioned motive them to keep doing it?

I mean, it's like saying we can't talk about racism without mentioning stormfront, or talk about political extremism without mentioning breitbart and fox news, or talk about rape without mentioning Bill Cosby.

If you ask me, all it does is divert attention towards that movement you are against.

One of the concepts underneath the umbrella of "inclusion" that GG think it is fighting against is.... games that have plot and story.

So, in an ironic way, GamerGate actually is fighting against games.

So, we can't have a conversion about the harassment of females online without always mentioning gamergate

Yup, because it would be like talking about slavery and not mentioning the KKK.

L Thammy

Holy shit, are gators really stupid enough to try and target t he prime minister of canada?

Im going to need popcorn. So much fucking popcorn.

They're going to have the Mounties after them. Imagine. Little Johnny Swatter wakes up at night to the sound of horses surrounding his house.

jholmes

But it's gaming news.

So. Again. Salty or just nonsense?

There's a flat-out factual inaccuracy in the title but this is GAF, so everything is either Sony versus Microsoft, Sega versus Nintendo and here Liberal versus Conservative (I presume this is what your "salt" BS is about). So I take it back, yours is the reductive response.

Nanashrew

Banned
GamerGate will always be on gaming side because it's heavily related to gaming and filled with hateful misogynistic gamers that doxx and swat.

There's a flat-out factual inaccuracy in the title but this is GAF, so everything is either Sony versus Microsoft, Sega versus Nintendo and here Liberal versus Conservative (I presume this is what your "salt" BS is about). So I take it back, yours is the reductive response.

Where's the factual inaccuracy?

That he's not the PM yet?

How does that have any relevancy to his statement? Or that the head of a fucking country came out against GG (no matter when he's sworn in)?

And where is this liberal vs. conservative crap coming from? I presume from that statement you are pro-GG? In which, case, yeah, the salt comment.

L Thammy

Doesn't the fact that GamerGate keeps being mentioned motive them to keep doing it?

No, because they create their own communities where they can keep talking about Gamergate to each other, and they actively try to recruit people and push their version o events. If all of their opponents stop talking, it doesn't kill all of the attention Gamergate receives, because they themselves ensure that they keep getting attention.

Stop thinking that they're trolls. They are not whiny children looking for someone to pay attention to them. They are a group with political objectives. The only attention they want is the attention that helps them promote those objectives.

Yup, because it would be like talking about slavery and not mentioning the KKK.
There are a ton of different forms of human slavery in the world's history you can talk about without talking about the US and the Ku Klux Klan's connection to it. Probably not the best comparison.

Orca

You can think that if you want but...

It's TRU..DEAU

Aske

Denis Dyak supports GG? He has gone full Dyak. Reality bends to his will, but he no longer shares it with the rest of us. He's broken free of the bonds of logic and emperical evidence.

God creates dinosaurs, man destroys dinosaurs, God creates Dyak, man destroys God, Dyak creates Too Human...Woman inherits the earth.

Lime

Gamergate is also a product of years if not decades of pandering and coddling to a certain segment of gaming consumers telling them that they are perfect and great for buying all these products, while the products themselves were power fantasies aimed at pleasing the player as much as possible. Meanwhile, journalists and reviewers never bothered to ask critical questions about the status quo while lauding everything with positive acclaim, despite their problematic politics. Additionally, marketing was constructing a myth about who played games and what type of identities were 'allowed' in the Gamers club.

When you then rock the boat by asking critical questions or being another person, the sycophant Gamers lose their shit, especially when nobody else with power in the culture and industry calls them out on it. Then you have some people who lack basic empathy and understanding, and these turn into bigoted Gamergators.

This form of online bigotry is unique to gaming culture. Other domains online experience similar type of hate, but Gamergate is particular to gaming culture.

Gamergate is also a product of years if not decades of pandering and coddling to a certain segment of gaming consumers telling them that they are perfect and great for buying all these products, while the products themselves were power fantasies aimed at pleasing the player as much as possible. Meanwhile, journalists and reviewers never bothered to ask critical questions about the status quo while lauding everything with positive acclaim, despite their problematic politics. Additionally, marketing was constructing a myth about who played games and what type of identities were 'allowed' in the Gamers club.

When you then rock the boat by asking critical questions or being another person, the sycophant Gamers lose their shit, especially when nobody else with power in the culture and industry calls them out on it. Then you have some people who lack basic empathy and understanding, and these turn into bigoted Gamergators.

This exactly. Boiling GG down to simply "jerks online" is ignoring a systemic issue within the industry. And honestly, society.

Nanashrew

Banned

Okay, I'll call it what it is. A hate group made up of gamers that were also among the same people to make a Bioware woman (Jennifer Hepler) quit the company after death threats to her and her children years ago, that's also being used for recruitment by neo-nazis and right wing conservatists and tea partiers.

danm999

There are a ton of different forms of human slavery in the world's history you can talk about without talking about the US and the Ku Klux Klan's connection to it. Probably not the best comparison.

It's a fine comparison given the point its responding to.

If someone brings up in the Klan in a thread about racism, do you think it would be constructive to tell them not to do that because it's just giving the Klan attention? That if you want to tackle racism best not to mention the Klan at all?

Because that's basically the advice being given there for GamerGate.

Look, it should be painfully clear by now, they aren't a group of trolls, and they aren't doing it solely for attention.

It's an organized group of misogynists and psychopaths who are harassing, stalking and swatting people as part of some crazy culture war.

I'm almost tempted to say it doesn't really matter how everybody else reacts to them. In the past, they've simply shown they'll make shit up out of thin air to rally their troops (it's kind of where the entire movement came from; a review that never existed).

Telling people not to talk about them or what they're doing gives them the sort of cover to keep making people miserable, and those people then largely have to suffer in silence.

jholmes

Where's the factual inaccuracy?

That he's not the PM yet?

How are you still unclear on this?

And where is this liberal vs. conservative crap coming from? I presume from that statement you are pro-GG? In which, case, yeah, the salt comment.

This is your whole problem, that you latch onto things strangers say and assign them motivations plucked from nowhere. I think GamerGate is both uninteresting and largely abominable. If you don't want to discuss what I'm actually saying, I'd just as soon forget about this exchange.

I'm sorry guys but I believe Trudeau never specifically said "Gamergate". Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been reading the transcript (in French) and he only talks about video games, as a medium/entertainment I believe.

Here's the quote.
sanstitre1tgsq1.jpg

EDIT: It's from Le Devoir, right here.

It seemed weird to me he would talk about Gamergate openly.

He does mention it. It's at around 8:15 in this video

http://www.ledevoir.com/entrevue-avec-justin-trudeau-sur-la-question-des-femmes

"The things that we see online, whether it's issues like gamergate in videogames and misogony in popular culture is something we need people to stand clearly against."

Nobody cares about that.

Stephen Harper
Prime Minister of Canada
In office March 20, 2004 – October 19, 2015

You won't find other dates.

Lime

Are you sure? Because you didn't mention Canada, and I worked with plenty of women in Canadian game studios.

The friend and acquaintances I have from there and some of the conferences I've attended have all talked about and addressed Gamergate, its harassers, and the chilling effect it has caused. I don't believe that Canada with its tons of game developers are completely safe from this bullshit. I envy your colleagues.

L Thammy

It's a fine comparison given the point its responding to.

If someone brings up in the Klan in a thread about racism, do you think it would be constructive to tell them not to do that because it's just giving the Klan attention? That if you want to tackle racism best not to mention the Klan at all?

I think you missed what DICKS AHOY was saying. The historical form of slavery practiced in the US is very racial. There are also things like debt slavery, which do not have the racial component. There are forms of slavery that are not focused on physical labour like the kind that was commonly practiced in the US. You don't have to talk about racial slavery to talk about slavery.

danm999

I think you missed what DICKS AHOY was saying. The historical form of slavery practiced in the US is very racial. There are also things like debt slavery, which do not have the racial component. There are forms of slavery that are not focused on physical labour like the kind that was commonly practiced in the US. You don't have to talk about racial slavery to talk about slavery.

I get that yeah. There is more to that topic than one group.

But the idea you shouldn't talk about that specific group, and focus somehow on the issue alone talking around the ground that is very prominent in that issue for fear of empowering them somehow isn't practical.

Top Bottom