• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

It seems Bobby Valentine isn't the manager of the Red Sox in The Show 12. It's just some generic dude.

But Valentine is the Red Sox manager in 2K12...

Huh, there are a couple of RttS Pitcher changes from last year I noticed. For one thing, you don't begin in the bullpen like you always did before. Your first AA game is as a starter. Also, the catcher calling the pitches is gone. That was only in 11, not the previous two, so I guess it was just a one year experiment. Unless I'm mis-remembering some of this.

It seems Bobby Valentine isn't the manager of the Red Sox in The Show 12. It's just some generic dude.

But Valentine is the Red Sox manager in 2K12...

I believe it's the same with the Cards. Hopefully an update will address that.

I'm still tinkering with settings to see which works best for me. This is my first go with The Show, so I'm getting slaughtered in exhibition games.

turnbuckle

Sadly, RTTS is still messed up with the stupid coach benching you for "stealing" when you're not. Idiot manager has benched me and has threatened to bench me again for stealing and I have 0 steal attempts... It's been this way for 3 years.

I've been benched for stealing, but every time I was either trying to steal or a hit & run play that was called for got botched by the batter. The latter happening is annoying, but I've never experienced what you've said and I've been doing RTTS since 2008.

SRTtoZ

How do I get the real-life, up-to-date, 3/7/2012 MLB rosters into my Season mode on the Vita version?

I'm not sure. When I turned on the PS3 version for the first time it asked me to update rosters, then when I cloud saved and continued on my Vita it had the new roster already.

Meier

Huh, there are a couple of RttS Pitcher changes from last year I noticed. For one thing, you don't begin in the bullpen like you always did before. Your first AA game is as a starter. Also, the catcher calling the pitches is gone. That was only in 11, not the previous two, so I guess it was just a one year experiment. Unless I'm mis-remembering some of this.

They actually made it where there's something called like AIP or some such where the default is no catcher's calls if you're playing at All-Star or higher. Kind of odd, I don't really see why it should be tied to difficulty. I've kept it off for the time being though.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Alright I think I'm gonna buy this today, anyone know of any deals? (PS3 only)

I see amazon has 3 cents off..

Let's see here...

MLB 10: The Show released on March 2, 2010.

Earliest post-release SlickDeals posting: $50.88 on May 6, 2010.

MLB 11: The Show released on March 8, 2011.

Earliest post-release SlickDeals posting: $34.99 on June 14, 2011.

This doesn't really prove anything besides the fact that these games take a while to drop in price after release. :/

BFIB

so is the stick the only way to hit? or can i change it to the face buttons?

You can change it to buttons. You can do Zone hitting, which you use the left stick to guide your swing, with X for normal, 0 for contact, or square for power.

Or you can do timing hitting, which all you do is time the pitch, and your players attributes determine the success of contact.

codhand

Just played a quick game on Vita, the framerate for the bullpen menu is really bad, as were a couple of "now batting" close ups. Crowd looked awful, even by awful crowd standards, field looked like an N64 texture. Still fun, but disappointing. Probably gonna double down and get it for PS.

Nightz

What do you guys find more satisfying when playing RttS? Playing as a pitcher, or playing as any other position? I've always played a SS, but I'm kind of getting bored with it. Just wondering if playing pitcher was more interesting.

Razorskin

----- ------
I played about 6 full games as a catcher in Rtts, it's enjoyable but the pitchers don't like my calls apparently, or they just blow.

So there is a thread over at operation sports and they don't seem to be too impressed with the online. Lag is as bad as it was last year.

It's a shame. Really pitching and hitting should be two exclusive events. One guy inputs the pitch command and execution - that pitch, and everything that pitch is going to do - should then, an entirety be sent to the other guy, who then reacts to the pitch as it's being generated completely user end. Once contact is made, the online goes back to real time (since a slight lag isn't a big deal for defense and base running as it is for pitching).

The bottom line is hitting is everything, the entire netcode should be designed to eliminate/minimize lag in regards to hitting.

Oh well, lucky The Show is such a strong offline game.

Can someone tell me the exact difference you see between having the home run celebration cam on and off. Please. What takes place with it off?

Meier

Had the game freeze on me twice randomly after training sessions on RTTS for Vita. Just sits there, doesn't respond to anything. Can go back to the home screen and whatnot but the game itself is toast.

It's pretty buggy -- I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone but the most diehard of baseball fans at this point. I truly hope they patch it to improve performance and fix some of these issues. I also feel like they've made it significantly harder to keep confident this go-round. I should never throw 3 consecutive balls outside the strike zone with my fastball when aiming directly down the pike.

Diamond Dynasty is overwhelming and I don't understand a damn thing about it, I wish someone on youtube make a better tutorial about diamond dynasty. SCEA, made a into to DD and a very inept text instructions about the mode.

IT'S JUST SO GOT DAMN CONFUSING, FOR NO GOT DAMN REASON!!!!

Same here, I don't know where to start so I've only been customizing my team logo. Haven't even played a game yet!

Just played a quick game on Vita, the framerate for the bullpen menu is really bad, as were a couple of "now batting" close ups. Crowd looked awful, even by awful crowd standards, field looked like an N64 texture. Still fun, but disappointing. Probably gonna double down and get it for PS.

Played the Vita version for the first time. Utterly amazing.

This is why I need a demo, really mixed impressions.

Meier

Dude is right about the crowd. I took my first Vita screenshot when I saw it the first time. Definitely PSX/N64 level graphics on some of the crowd members and the turf looks pretty nasty. It's not a particularly impressive showing on many fronts but it's still classic The Show gameplay so I'm enjoying it.

Here is the screen cap I took.. completely undoctored.

i1mxmrEULh465.jpg

bjscott05

I don't understand why all the selectable faces for RTTS guys look so strange. Need some more options there big time.

Anyway, loving the Vita and PS3 versions...wish the online was smoother on PS3 but oh well.

Can someone tell me the exact difference you see between having the home run celebration cam on and off. Please. What takes place with it off?

With this option set to on, occasionally when a homerun is hit, the camera immediately cuts to a view from behind the plate to show the ball leaving the park and the batter trotting.

I personally like it off since having it on takes away from the suspense of whether the ball is gone or not.

Dude is right about the crowd. I took my first Vita screenshot when I saw it the first time. Definitely N64 level graphics on some of the crowd members and the turf looks pretty nasty. It's definitely not a particularly impressive showing on many fronts but it's still classic The Show gameplay so I'm enjoying it.

Here is the screen cap I took.. completely undoctored.

i1mxmrEULh465.jpg

Well, the cut scenes are kinda sucky but that's not an honest representation. They look much better than that on the Vita screen. The gameplay is fluid and that's what counts in my opinion. If you want eye candy stick with the PS3 version.

Atcha

Hello,

I want to buy the Ps3 version and I would like to know something :

- How about the move control ?
Is it good ? I mean really accurate ? no wii shitty control ?

They actually made it where there's something called like AIP or some such where the default is no catcher's calls if you're playing at All-Star or higher. Kind of odd, I don't really see why it should be tied to difficulty. I've kept it off for the time being though.

If you pitch from the pitcher view, you'll see the catcher call the pitch and sometimes a side of the plate to pitch to but it won't show the exact location he wants it like it does by default on the lower difficulties.

Had the game freeze on me twice randomly after training sessions on RTTS for Vita. Just sits there, doesn't respond to anything. Can go back to the home screen and whatnot but the game itself is toast.

It's pretty buggy -- I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone but the most diehard of baseball fans at this point. I truly hope they patch it to improve performance and fix some of these issues. I also feel like they've made it significantly harder to keep confident this go-round. I should never throw 3 consecutive balls outside the strike zone with my fastball when aiming directly down the pike.

What controls are you using for pitching? It sounds like you must be doing something wrong when it comes to pitching. I tried the pulse pitching but it feels broken so I went back to the meter and I can hit my spot almost every time.

Riggs

Banned
I'm usin metered pitching on the Vita. Is it just me or is the frame rate on the meter awful? Something seems off.

i felt the same way, like there was some delay on the accuracy part. But i have adjusted to it and have been playing fine now. Something is off though i think. It could be worse though, that pulse pitching is horrible!

So glad I saw you both post this

I have solutionz

Ok first thing is first!

This is input lag, I am willing to bet anything on it. I went froma 32" 720P 60hz LCD to a 42" 1080P 60hz TV.

MLB The Show 11 had no problems before, then on my bigger TV I was noticing the pitching meter was not as accurate. I had to press the X button like half a second before I wanted to to try and get it on the bar (or location I wanted).

At first I thought it was my mind, after a while I said there is no way it was like this before. A simple google search for "MLB The Show Input Lag" made me realize other people were having this issue.

Two EASY Fix's for this

1st ) Make sure your TV has a game mode, a lot of TV's do (Home / Cinema / Game, etc). Also once under your TV's game mode, look for something called Fast Response mode or something simililar. You may see this, you may not. Depends on make/model.

2) THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I switched my TV to Game mode w/ fast response on , and saw no fucking difference. Here's the trick. I was running The Show 11 (and 12) at 720P Native via my PS3 Display settings. Turning my TV's game mode / fast response on and off did nothing. I forced my PS3 1080P ONLY , do not check anything other than 1080P. 480P Will be checked by default you cannot uncheck that one. Anyway, upon setting it to 1080P , I turned fast response mode off and it was laggy like usual. Turned fast response mode on (My TV's game mode remember?) and it was just like the game used to be!! No lag, perfect timing all the time.

Seriously I think this is the problem both of you are having, it took me 2 months to figure this out with The SHow 11. I tested on 12 also, same deal. Gluck guys sorry for the long winded explanation here I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out!

Oh jesus H christ just saw you two are talking about the Vita ... whatever I ll leave this here in case anyone is having this problem on their TV. Derpp, sorry : (

Riggs

Banned
face palm all the way to the locker room

Btw anyone try playing with Red Sox yet? Whole bottom half of that roster sucks, my favorite team too : (

Should of never signed Carl Crawford now we got to deal with fucking Nick Punto and Ryan Lavarnwhat?!? I miss 03/04 roster god damnit!!

codhand

Hmm, that Kenny Powers gives me an idea...
1298477640-ricky-vaughn-tale1.jpg

Probably no black rim glasses tho, I'll have to check... :-(

If you want the gameplayof The Show, the Vita version has it, but if you want to wow people with a sports game on a handheld, I'd go with Virtua Tennis.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've started a full season with my team, the Texas Rangers. So far I'm having a pretty great time of it. I'm sim'ing some games, playing others. This is my first MLB The Show game, so it's taking a while to get used to batting. I did unlock my first trophy on the Vita, though, for homer'ing with Nelson Cruz onto the green hill in center field at Rangers Stadium!

I've uploaded my season to the cloud, gonna try the PS3 version out now. I hope it's easier to hit with, the CPU keeps racking up murderous amounts of strike outs on me as I struggle to get used to hitting.

Question: Do most of you use X to swing? I've tried using Square, and even homer'd off it a few times, but can't tell what detriment there is to using it. Maybe your hitters tire out faster?

newsguy

It's probably cause I'm an older gamer, but I'm blown away by the graphics in the Vita version. If you told me my handheld system would have self shadowing on players a few years ago I'd laugh.

codhand

It's probably cause I'm an older gamer, but I'm blown away by the graphics in the Vita version. If you told me my handheld system would have self shadowing on players a few years ago I'd laugh.

You're right, it is hard to be critical of it, being the best baseball game ever on handheld, but I simply can't describe the presentation as being polished.

I'm 30

Meier

Well, the cut scenes are kinda sucky but that's not an honest representation. They look much better than that on the Vita screen. The gameplay is fluid and that's what counts in my opinion. If you want eye candy stick with the PS3 version.

No, no they don't. I agree about the gameplay being solid though (I said that in the same post) but it's definitely buggy and not up to par in comparison to the legacy of the series.

Riggs

Banned
Hmm, that Kenny Powers gives me an idea...
1298477640-ricky-vaughn-tale1.jpg

Probably no black rim glasses tho, I'll have to check... :-(

If you want the gameplayof The Show, the Vita version has it, but if you want to wow people with a sports game on a handheld, I'd go with Virtua Tennis.

Please can you do it? Please?

Riggs

Banned
I've started a full season with my team, the Texas Rangers. So far I'm having a pretty great time of it. I'm sim'ing some games, playing others. This is my first MLB The Show game, so it's taking a while to get used to batting. I did unlock my first trophy on the Vita, though, for homer'ing with Nelson Cruz onto the green hill in center field at Rangers Stadium!

I've uploaded my season to the cloud, gonna try the PS3 version out now. I hope it's easier to hit with, the CPU keeps racking up murderous amounts of strike outs on me as I struggle to get used to hitting.

Question: Do most of you use X to swing? I've tried using Square, and even homer'd off it a few times, but can't tell what detriment there is to using it. Maybe your hitters tire out faster?

Square = Hit the fuck out of ball if you connect, problem is your hit zone is massively decreased giving way to more ground balls and strike outs. Also checking swing when hitting square results in bat breaking plate sometimes.

X = middle ground, still hit good amount of homers with good chance to check swing

Circle = contact swing you will almost always connect with the ball at cost of power, good for contact hitters (I never use this shit unless I am like freaking and just want to run up the pitch count)

I pretty much use the contact swing when I'm 0-2 or behind in the count when I have runners on base with less than 2 outs or in scoring position, just trying to put the ball in play and hope I catch a break.

Top Bottom