• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

can zedd fucking retire already like disclosure did

To be fair, I wish Caracal was slightly better, but I would MUCH prefer having that back on the radio over the cheesy Pop that Zedd's been doing. Zedd used to be a huge inspiration for me as a producer, boy oh boy it's monumentally disappointing what he's been putting out.

Anyway, isn't Disclosure just taking a break for the year?

For anyone bored and want to relive that little bit of the older Spinnin' Records shit:

Summer Nights Mix 2017

Contains some ids, some Future Bass, and the usual from Spinnin' Records.

Forgot about two new Vicetone tracks. One is more Electro House and the other is more Future House:

Vicetone - Apex, Soundcloud link.

Vicetone - I Hear You, Soundcloud link.

Remember how I was talking about Hardstyle DJs getting into Psytrance and trying to combine them? Well The Prophet has released this: One Of Us and I linked it right when the song starts in the podcast.

Le sigh.... Don't tell me they are trying to "one-up" DJ Astrix after what he said about Hardstyle earlier this year

Yo Ash you know how you wanted something similar to that K-Pop Hardstyle song? Well I'm bored on a Friday morning and looked up Japanese Hardstyle:

MYTH&ROID - STYX HELIX (Yochi Remix)

What do you think fam? That channel uh.... Yeah ignore some of the background images if you can. Just discovered that channel this morning. Not a bad channel music-wise and it's quite diverse! I knew my Japanese brothers and sisters love EDM just as much as we do but I didn't know their scene was decent ��

Also I found a pianist who does Hardstyle and it's legit:

Headhunterz - Destiny (Hardstyle Pianist version)

Ashhong

Yo Ash you know how you wanted something similar to that K-Pop Hardstyle song? Well I'm bored on a Friday morning and looked up Japanese Hardstyle:

MYTH&ROID - STYX HELIX (Yochi Remix)

What do you think fam? That channel uh.... Yeah ignore some of the background images if you can. Just discovered that channel this morning. Not a bad channel music-wise and it's quite diverse! I knew my Japanese brothers and sisters love EDM just as much as we do but I didn't know their scene was decent ��

Also I found a pianist who does Hardstyle and it's legit:

Headhunterz - Destiny (Hardstyle Pianist version)

Can't listen right now, but what Kpop hardstyle song? I forget half of the stuff I post..

Can I just say that I am loving how many djs are closing their sets or are including Hardstyle into their sets? It works especially well for a Big Room set because of the slow buildup to the anti-qlimax or kicks.

Armin Van Buuren, Hardwell, Nicky Romero, Dash Berlin, Ummet Ozcan, etc.

Now..... For them to include Trance 🤔

Ashhong

Can I just say that I am loving how many djs are closing their sets or are including Hardstyle into their sets? It works especially well for a Big Room set because of the slow buildup to the anti-qlimax or kicks.

Armin Van Buuren, Hardwell, Nicky Romero, Dash Berlin, Ummet Ozcan, etc.

Now..... For them to include Trance 🤔

Armin played hard style?

Got my tickets to dreamstate! Excited to see Gaia for the first time and an Armin trance set. Should be amazing

Armin played hard style?

Got my tickets to dreamstate! Excited to see Gaia for the first time and an Armin trance set. Should be amazing

Yeah! I was surprised to learn that myself not too long ago. Apparently he has been playing one or two tracks while on tour and in different festivals that he appears on. The earliest that I have found him playing it was sometime last year, maybe the fall of 2016?

He is now a good friend of Wildstylez and brought him on stage at ELF recently. I think it's more of the latest Big Room set trend - have one or two Hardstyle tracks near the end because it gets the heart pumping for the Big Room crowd. So instead of a normal Trap or Dubstep drop, Big Room sets will drop a Hardstyle anti-climax, kick, reverse bass, or a normal climax or a full Hardstyle track.

Now the trend for Hardstyle festivals are the Psy/Goa Trance tracks and influences. It's quite interesting to see what are the trends in each genre. I wonder what the trends are for other genres now: Future Bass, Dubstep, DnB, any House genre, regular Trap, etc.?

Also.... Who is sort of excited for the new Galantis album? Nobody? Some of y'all?

Aomber

Also.... Who is sort of excited for the new Galantis album? Nobody? Some of y'all?
Honestly, I'm not optimistic. First off I just checked out their newest single.

Galantis - True Feeling (Official Lyric video)

It's okay, but it feels like they tried to experiment in their comfort zone of 128 bpm and didn't fully commit. The verse/drop feels disconnected, like they made a drop, and didn't know where to go with the song so they were like, "screw it let's just do a Pharmacy style verse."

The reason I'm not optimistic though is because they've released several absolutely garbage songs this year prior to this. Looking back now, while I thought Pharmacy was a fine album and was fun enough to listen to, I did comment that it was really safe for that period in EDM with wall to wall pop house songs. I have some doubts that they're going to get past the sophomore slump since they don't seem to do well outside of their safe zone.

I've been avoiding their latest stuff because of my reception to their past songs before the latest one being lukewarm to "what am I listening to?!"...... I'll check it out to see if they'll get another 'Runaway' but other than that.....

Similar to A^I.... I've just been.... Spoiled, I guess? Jaded and cynical now?

Listening now to Krewella's ELF set..... I forgot how relevant they were again even after their third person left (semi-relevant?). They've also been converted to the Hardstyle family �� with a sprinkle of Psytrance. I shit you not, they started with Hard Dance and their second song is a PsyStyle song from Hardstyle producers, Toneshifterz.

Aomber

I've been avoiding their latest stuff because of my reception to their past songs before the latest one being lukewarm to "what am I listening to?!"...... I'll check it out to see if they'll get another 'Runaway' but other than that.....

Similar to A^I.... I've just been.... Spoiled, I guess? Jaded and cynical now?

Listening now to Krewella's ELF set..... I forgot how relevant they were again even after their third person left (semi-relevant?). They've also been converted to the Hardstyle family �� with a sprinkle of Psytrance. I shit you not, they started with Hard Dance and their second song is a PsyStyle song from Hardstyle producers, Toneshifterz.
Nothing to be jaded or cynical about, almost all pop EDM artists are making shittier music in 2017. It's weird because I wouldn't say A^I have necessarily jumped onto any trend, but it's pretty obvious nothing's that memorable like they had in SHM.

Anyway yeah Krewella's always played Hardstyle, they played many tracks during their set I saw in 2013.

How long has ELF (Electric Love Festival) been on the scene? Watching some videos via 1001tracklists and uh.... The crowds seem..... Better than EDC (this year mind you) but it's not what I thought. Isn't Austria a big EDM country or nah?

Really? Krewella's BEEN on the Hardstyle family? News to me and probably because I don't give them too much attention.

Aomber

How long has ELF (Electric Love Festival) been on the scene? Watching some videos via 1001tracklists and uh.... The crowds seem..... Better than EDC (this year mind you) but it's not what I thought. Isn't Austria a big EDM country or nah?

Really? Krewella's BEEN on the Hardstyle family? News to me and probably because I don't give them too much attention.

First time I've heard of this festival, but from my experience of going to both Tomorrowland and EDC, Europe's crowd is better.

Yeah.... Usually the EU crowds are more lively and actually dance to the music but, it seems like for ELF there's nothing too different from it compared to the US crowd. Must be the low recognition of ELF that makes it look like it sucks compared to other festivals.

Upon this post, I checked how long ELF has been on the festival scene and they are 5 years old. That's a baby in terms of festivals, right? So I guess that's why their crowd is so lackluster.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yeah.... Usually the EU crowds are more lively and actually dance to the music but, it seems like for ELF there's nothing too different from it compared to the US crowd. Must be the low recognition of ELF that makes it look like it sucks compared to other festivals.

Upon this post, I checked how long ELF has been on the festival scene and they are 5 years old. That's a baby in terms of festivals, right? So I guess that's why their crowd is so lackluster.

Educate me, I've never been to a festival in the States :). I don't know better or a signifcant part of the crowd, at least centre stage front/middle will be pretty much into it, at least if the DJ isn't a complete nobber :).

I'm seeing Flume again next month alongside some other interesting stuff I'm looking forward to (the XX, London Grammar, Moderat, Bloody Beetroots, Nina Kraviz) - but Flume last time I saw them at a festival, was a proper blast.

Upon watching more ELF videos from 1001tracklists, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed better than the US crowd. I just didn't watch enough videos. Being in daylight also made me realize how many people there are in the crowd and that played a part because it gave me more visibility.

The Mainstage looks decent imo. I feel like it's going to be a decent festival in the coming years. From what I saw (tags from 1001tracklists) there are alot of House (and it's variations) and Hardstyle DJs at ELF. I think if they can expand upon more genres then they should blow up. They have some decent acts imo.

mr stroke

Bassnectar: I’m ‘EXTREMELY disinterested’ in EDM, DJing in general

LOL... This guy literally JUST dropped an EP chock filled with Trap EDM and it's not even good. Plus what he does live isn't much different from DJing at all, he uses a couple of MIDI controllers to launch loops, wouldn't exactly say he's doing the same thing as deadmau5 or Disclosure

Ill give Bassnectar credit. While I don't care for his productions, I love his live sets. One of the few Bass/Dub DJ's that actually understands composition. Most of those guys slam one track into another, get on the stage, yell "fucking jump", and drop the same 5 Jack U tracks over and over. Bassnectar on the other hand always plays new stuff, doesn't drop the beatport top 10, doesn't scream on the mic at all, and has the ability to truly build a set.

Aomber

Ill give Bassnectar credit. While I don't care for his productions, I love his live sets. One of the few Bass/Dub DJ's that actually understands composition. Most of those guys slam one track into another, get on the stage, yell "fucking jump", and drop the same 5 Jack U tracks over and over. Bassnectar on the other hand always plays new stuff, doesn't drop the beatport top 10, doesn't scream on the mic at all, and has the ability to truly build a set.
Sure I'll give him that, I guess what I'm saying is I get tired of hearing some of these guys being like "yeah I don't do edm", either they're lying to their fans or they are really out of touch with their own stuff.

Aomber

Every now and then, I read the rest of the forum and I have to remind myself why I only come to this thread on GAF.

Thanks for being a nice little corner where it's pleasant to chat about stuff :D

cromofo

Ultra Europe is 45min ferry ride from my place but can't be arsed to go. Went previous 2 years but will skip this one.

I hope they start bringing in some hardstyle/hardcore DJs, regular bigroom/trap/trance is becoming boring to me.

Techno and house are still on point, love those smaller stages.

Man, this time last year I had just landed in Belgium and was about to hop on the bus to Tomorrowland. Damn I wish I was going again.

It really is a magical place. Feels so much more than just a music festival.

No Tomorrowland OT. Barely anybody in the thread from last year. No point, but if somebody wants to make one they can go ahead.

Hardwell EP out soon. Might listen to it since I don't particularly listen to any of his tracks sans Hardstyle remixes.

Watching the stream right now. People actually like Marshmellow?

I've only listened to a couple of his older tracks as dotcom, and I was shocked the dude made some Trapstyle songs. Those were way more interesting than what he's doing currently. The dude could have been more appealing to the EU crowd with his Trapstyle, but it seems like he chose the Melodic Trap/Future Bass route.

I'll tune in when there is somebody I want to watch.

Prydz is on? Nice.

Krewella is fucking killing it, but their set is way too diverse. It's all over the place and just sounds like a random person's playlist instead of a well constructed DJ playlist or set.

As long as it blows the other festivals Mainstage away, I'm content with it lol.

Lol.... Monstercat's "Surprise" Guest is..... dotcom! LMAO, the Monstercat's crowd is eating it up on the stream.

Top Bottom