• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

Interesting side-effect of the new rules is they should make starts quicker as cars have more grip off the line. Might punish clutch errors / wheelspin more than previous years.

Interesting side-effect of the new rules is they should make starts quicker as cars have more grip off the line. Might punish clutch errors / wheelspin more than previous years.

With the new tyres now allowing the cars to actually use the massive torque of these engines, combined a with the instant loss of traction we've seen, I wouldn't be surprised to see a rookie or two end up sideways off the line.

Randdalf

I'd like to see them try reverse-grid qualifying (with points for quali) at least once. Though if it's in a race with pit stops, I could see it just ending up with the grid order normalising itself during the first pit stop.

On a slightly divergent note, I'd also like to see auto/motorsports represented at the Olympics, with spec cars/bikes/karts and the drivers representing their countries. Bit of a pipe dream though, probably way too expensive.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Shit, we are moving clock for one hour forward and I have no idea if race is at 7 am or 6 am (CET time here)

Fox Mulder

Am amused to see that after they begged and pleaded for these changes because they believed Newey would have them leading the pack, Red Bull are now behind Ferrari and still way behind Mercedes.

Pretty depressing to see Verstappen basically state that the order will be set by the end of the first corner. If he of all people feel overtaking is impossible it doesn't exactly bode well for exciting racing.

This has me more bummed out than another year of merc domination.

Redbull was supposed to be the chosen one.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
You know what? I'm actually glad Stroll is starting last. I can count on one hand the amount of overtaking moves he had to do last year. Whether or not he is able to go through the field in the race should be a good indication of his skill level.

Chuck

Still without luck
The stroll hate is real in this thread. Can't blame y'all tho.

Stufful is the rookie I'm rooting for.

Mastah

C70JRqMXUAA5Zzc.jpg:large

Razgreez

Are we there yet...

(Secretly hoping the race is a battle between VB and LH for first and not SV and LH for first as i like my Mercedes cars in a nice 1-2 order >:) - although it will most likely be SV and VB for second if LH gets a good start)

So Pat Symonds believes the shark fins are stalling the rear wings during big slides, making them absolutely unrecoverable despite the huge rear tyres.

Lach

Lauda mentioned the new cars will test the stamina of all drivers.
He believes that we will see drivers making mistakes towards the end of the first few races...

[edit] Giova is the rookie of the year. Best rookie starting pos with around 10h of prep time before quali.

Razgreez

So Pat Symonds believes the shark fins are stalling the rear wings during big slides, making them absolutely unrecoverable despite the huge rear tyres.

It's possible but then we've had shark fins before and drivers were still able to recover back then. The mixture of high mechanical grip and absolute downforce in these cars seems, in my uneducated opinion, to mean that a considerable instantaneous loss of either results in a catastrophic loss of both

That's why we see both rookies and Riccis losing their cars - I'll see myself out

Jezbollah

I do wonder if that same issue will result in cars not being able to follow each other - the car in front stalling the airflow of a car following it.

FuturusX

I love rookies. Dreams unfolding before my eyes are always welcome. But Lance Stroll does not exsude confidence at all. Even in interviews he seems out of his depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom