• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar: The Heart Part 4 - Single

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeP

There is Big Sean and then there is Kendrick.

One of those two can rap...

Kendrick is a better rapper. But Sean's a decent rapper himself. No More Interviews was a pretty standout track from him, his album was solid as well.

LionPride

Banned
I am so disappointed right now.

CM-Punk-laughing-at-Stephanie.gif
I fucking hate J. Cole so damn much yo
Me too. Should've said Hopsin for maximum cringe.
Already made fun of Hopsin. Shoulda done Immortal Technique

Kendrick is just so corny but he can really rap

I dunno why everyone's mad at this. He can be corny when he goes too strong on that gremlin voice. And this dick ain't freeeeeuh is a cornball classic

But yeah on the other hand he is skilled and has dropped some of the best rap albums of our gen easy.

Anyways the beat switch on this gives me life

big ander

kendrick is corny as hell. That shouldn't bother anyone because most of the best musicians/lyricists ever have been corny? like, Bowie is fucking corny. Nas is a cornball. dylan, whoever.

kendrick is corny as hell. That shouldn't bother anyone because most of the best musicians/lyricists ever have been corny? like, Bowie is fucking corny. Nas is a cornball. dylan, whoever.

Depends what era of bowie. He was a cornball chameleon shifting from cool as hell to cheesy (but great) in certain decades

I really don't like For Free though. But whatever it's just one track on an otherwise mostly great album

Do people actually care about rap beef? Like why would Kendrick go after Jay Z and Drake when he's obviously so much better than them?
Since when has Kendrick had better punchlines/entendres/general wordplay/clever lines than Jay or rhymed nearly as well as him from a technical standpoint?
Kendrick's in my top five so I can stomach someone saying he's a better songwriter than Jay (not that I would agree, I have a preference for Jay's writing style) and he's on track to have a better discography than Jay depending on his next album, but there's no universe where he's "so much better" than Jay, nor does Kendrick believe that.
You do realize that he's called Jay Z the GOAT on multiple occasions, pay's homage to him in his lyrics more than any other rapper, has said he needs to make his own Reasonable Doubt before he could be called the GOAT and has called RD better than Illmatic, has ranked Jay in his top five multiple times, paid homage to Jay majorly on old mixtapes, and frequently talked about his influence on him right, among many other things?

So many Jay-Z references/nods on this track, the ferociousness of Kendrick's bars lmao. I was cracking up all the way through it doing the Arsenio Hall "whoo whoo whoo" thing all the way through, loved this. Yeah man he's back.
I've noticed over six Jay bar quotes and homages from Kendrick this song aside from GKMC and up.

Why the fuck would he waste time taking shots at a pleb like Sean? If Kenny is going to take shots it's at a big fish.

Because Sean's been subbing him for a minute. If you think Sean isn't big enough to at least warrant a response for that, you're trippin. And ion even fuck with Sean like that.

I first thought this track was a little self indulgent and it was going to come off a little pretentious with the multiple switches. Having said that he pulled it off and it's another quality track from Kendrick. There is no stopping this man on his quest to be be the greatest rapper ever. He is keeping that bar raised

Damn. This track.... lyrically dope throughout but I enjoyed the beat before it switched, personally.

April 7th new album? Ok, ok.

Smh, whoever said Sean couldn't rap. He's not an elite MC, but he raps well enough for Drake to have bitten his entire fucking style and delivery and make millions off it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lol....people want everything Kendrick related be about Drake so bad....it aint happening guys.

effzee

Most rappers can be considered corny for a line here,a song there, or even an album.

It's what you toleratell, prefer, and honestly how well the line/song is delivered.

Kendrick feeding us a beefy steak to eat with this one. He's definitely taking shots at someone, can't really say who for sure. Gonna have to dissect these bars.

My fans can't wait for me to son ya punk ass and crush your whole lil shit
I'll Big Pun ya punk ass, you a scared little bitch
Tiptoein' around my name, nigga, ya lame
And when I get at you, homie, don't you just tell me you was just playin'
Oh I was just playin' with you K-Dot, c'mon
You know a nigga rock with you, bro
Shut the fuck up, you sound like the last nigga I know
Might end up like the last nigga I know

Sean shook.

Hoe, Jay Z Hall of Fame, sit your punk ass down (Sit yo' punk ass down)
So that means you ain't bigger than rapping (What else?)

Drake shook

Y'all got 'til April the 7th to get ya'll shit together

I'm shook

NotLiquid

Weird. The song is incredibly aggressive for Kendrick but the melancholy beat and the content almost feels like a lamentation on his part. The first part of Untitled Unmastered and the ending of TPAB postulated a lot about a sort of societal collapse, and this song feels like it's taking place at the tail end of one, especially after much of last year's events and how Kendrick raps about him having prophesied this sort of gone wrong scenario. People are focusing on a lot of his hot takes on other rappers but it's clear he's fed up with more than just that. He's putting himself on a pedestal but it almost feels like it's out of frustration or desperation, particularly with the ending lines which have him scrapping and redoing bars since none of it sounds right to him. It's like he feels he needs to make a point in a world that's getting crazier by the day.

Guess you could read into it multiple ways but something about this track is just really poignant. (It's a really good track)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom