• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR(SPOILERS): 'Power Rangers' Cast Lobbying for a Female Green Ranger in Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

[Warning: This story contains spoilers for Power Rangers.]

Want to know if a film might be having a sequel? Then stay seated! Just because the movie's over and your popcorn is finished doesn't mean that's all that's in store for you.

Power Rangers, which hit theaters Friday, is following the Marvel Studios trend by featuring a little something extra.

"There's a post-credits scene, so people should stay," the film's director Dean Israelite tells The Hollywood Reporter, adding, "It teased up the direction of what the next movie could be for people that know the brand it’s super exciting. There are so many ideas we’re kicking around in the direction of where the film leads you."

And it looks like the film is hoping to morph towards a sequel by introducing a key character in the story about the Rangers. In the post-credits scene, the teacher in detention does roll call. And there's one person he can't find on the list: Tommy Oliver. The teacher repeatedly announces the name, Tommy Oliver, and the camera cuts to a green coat sitting on an empty chair in detention.

Oliver is no stranger to Power Rangers fanatics. In the original Mighty Morphin Rangers TV series, the character was introduced as the Green Ranger, who is actually at first an enemy to the other Rangers while being a new student to Angel Grove High School. In the franchise, the character has also had a varied amount of story development, including being elevated to being the White Ranger and becoming a love interest for the Pink Ranger. In fact, in the new film, the actor Jason David Frank (who played Oliver) appeared alongside original Pink Ranger actress Amy Jo Johnson in a cameo during the final battle.

As for the new Tommy, with the green coat in the scene, he will likely be the Green Ranger to start. But wait a minute, the character doesn't necessarily need to be a he. And according to Dacre Montgomery AKA the new Red Ranger, the cast is campaigning for Oliver to be female.

Montgomery tells THR, "A lot of the cast and I have discussed that we think it should be a girl. It makes it even three girls, three boys.”

He adds that the scene is ambiguous and actually leads the opportunity for this to happen.

“It’s left blank. It’s a cliffhanger. Whoever you’re going to drop into that position — whether it’s a girl, it’s inevitably going to create drama. It’ll be interesting to drop that drama into it and see how we all relate to it and work with it," says the star.

I'd be fine with it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That would be fine. The original Tommy will never be topped so they may as well do something different.

xk0sm0sx

What? There's nothing spoiler about the title.
There's no green ranger in the movie, as shown in the posters.

Thanos doesn't appear in the movie either.

sphagnum

Banned
Instead of a Jason vs Tommy over Kimberly love triangle it's going to be a Kimberly vs Tommie over Jason love triangle isn't it.

JDF wasn't one of the people who crapped on Yost for being gay. Yost has said a bunch that he was his best friend on set.

That said making any changes to his character would piss JDF off so, no matter what it'll be funny.

Unless you know absolutely nothing about Mighty Morphin Power Rangers there is no spoiler in the thread title at all.

Spoiler culture is fucking ridiculous.

Man, who knew that there's spoiler cultures.

Btw, I could care less about getting spoiled, it's just that some other people on here might be.

Eumi

Makes sense. Plus if the sequel focuses on her then it can become one of very few female focused superhero movies.

As long as she has swagger

green-power-ranger-haters-gonna-hate-walk-dont-care-1367276647K.gif

Arabesque

Instead of a Jason vs Tommy over Kimberly love triangle it's going to be a Kimberly vs Tommie over Jason love triangle isn't it.

If they do that, might as well merge the Green Ranger stuff with the Kat story too, for maximum efficiency. I mean, Rita's responsible for both brainwashings, no point in retreading the same ground.

For bonus points,Tommie can be an Aussie so she can have an accent.

Barrage

I think Tommy's too damn popular for people not to lash out at this.

Now the REAL money move is to have Tommy the Green Ranger and an evil female White Ranger introduced in the same movie....

Ashby

If they do that, might as well merge the Green Ranger stuff with the Kat story too, for maximum efficiency. I mean, Rita's responsible for both brainwashings, no point in retreading the same ground.

For bonus points,Tommie can be an Aussie so she can have an accent.

Who?

Never happen. Studio execs want to sell toys to boys, and Tommy is probably the most well known Mighty Morphin character so they won't deviate too much from him. Jason is still a white dude and Tommy will be the same.

IceMarker

Can anyone tell me the significance of the green and white Power Rangers with the fancier armor throughout the series, are they just stronger than the normal Power Rangers or what?

Garlador

Yes. Perfect.

Would prefer a gay dude specifically to fuck with Jason David Frank, but I will take this.

This stupid rumor needs to die. It's been debunked so many times. JDF never bullied David Yost over his sexuality and the two have been friends and supporting each other for decades now.

It all apparently stemmed from some behind the scenes video of a hyperactive JDF clearly annoying David Yost during Season 1 with his "green is best" antics... And that's it.

sphagnum

Banned
Can anyone tell me the significance of the green and white Power Rangers with the fancier armor throughout the series, are they just stronger than the normal Power Rangers or what?

It doesn't specifically have to be green or white, but there's a history of "sixth rangers" (or seventh, or eighth...) showing up later in the series who are more powerful or who might start off as enemies. It just adds a twist to the story to keep things fresh.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'd have loved Tommy as the green ranger again, but this time in the role of mentor

Jacce

Banned
Trying to find logic in them won't really work.

It's simply they were characters in the original Japanese Super Sentai and Saban had to find a way to work around them appearing in the English adaption. And really strangely tried to have the green ranger and white ranger be the same character which made the editing around the footage all the more confusing.

They were actually different characters on different teams
Gosei_Sentai_Dairanger.jpg

Sentai_Zyu.jpg

Zordon does say the White Ranger is more powerful than the Green Ranger when he is introduced so he at least is supposed to be stronger. Green Ranger's armour isn't really explained in the Mighty Morphin show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom