• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Iaquinta retired because of garbage pay and came back fought knowing he got the same garbage pay and now is complaining again about the garbage pay .

He's just upset about not getting a bonus .

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Might as well be vocal about it. I don't see why these guys should just have to sit there getting screwed while people like Dana and the Fertittas make billions just because they're "not as much of a draw as Conor" or "should know fighters get screwed lol thats just how it works."

I don't recall Iaquinta being more than a blip, if that, at the time of the Reebok deal.

The poor pay in the UFC is known and it's definitely horrible due to the Reebok deal. However every fighter knows the deal when they sign. So I don't feel bad for one particular fighter complaining when they thought they could reach the superstar status necessary to make good money under it and they don't. Just like I don't feel bad for the guys warming the bench on professional sports teams that don't get the lucrative deals and tv/movie guest spots that the superstars get.

Pay should absolutely be improved across the board but Iaquinta isn't moving the needle on this topic at all.

at least bench warmers can choose random sponsors and earn extra money that way. UFC fighters are SOL in that department.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
6 more years on the Reebok deal for the UFC. I wonder how much will change by then...

Does anyone high up at Reebok even know the deal is still going on? Feels like there was a semi-splashy announcement, then all the execution went to some intern, who then left after the summer was over. Not only are the "uniforms" just awful, the whole overall approach makes it feel like no one over there even gives a shit.

So don't come back. There's a reason I don't work at McDonalds. I'm not gonna work there and then try to negotiate through the press that I'm not getting paid enough to try to get a raise. Yeah its embarrassing that these guys as pro athletes aren't getting near the compensation as other sports but ultimately they know what they're getting into and what they're worth and at some point they have to take it or leave it and let everyone else out of it.
well, it is stupid for 99% of people to take up fighting for a living and expect to get paid well, but if you are a fighter I don't see why you wouldn't use every tool at your disposal to get paid adequately. human cock fighting isn't about skill, it's about promotion. if you can elevate yourself in the media, put pressure on uncle dana, or sell more tickets, you deserve more funny. fuck being quiet and getting your brain bashed in for peanuts.

So you're telling me Iaquinta didn't know how much he'd be compensated before he started fighting?

Now I will admit SwipeLeftHoney brings up a point I totally forgot about with the Reebok shit. If that's part of Iaquinta's beef I take back what I said. I don't know the timing of when he signed his last contract and when the Reebok stuff went down.

I'm saying I don't have a problem with him being vocal about it. He figthts MMA for a living. The pickings in terms of career directions are slim. Yes, in part he is taking what he can get, and the UFC knows this and uses this leverage against guys that are not household names, but if he wants to vocalize his displeasure with how UFC compensates it's fighters I don't have a problem with it. I can't remember once in history when something that needed to change or needed reform did so because people just shut their mouths and accepted the shit they were being fed.

brentech

he can complain
you don't have to care or listen
This. I can't say this enough.

Just as people are telling him to shut up and walk away, he's saying up the ante or he will walk away. He has another career. (Whether he really means it, I dunno) I don't see the harm in what he is doing even if it falls on deaf ears.

Levito

Banned
I honestly don't understand how people that watch MMA can't sympathize with the idea of the fighters wanting to get paid more fairly. They're not asking to all make Conor's payday, but how about a fucking living wage? There are fighters like Michelle Waterson that got paid $30,000 for her fighter with PVZ. (eg: the main event of a fox show)

Apparently Rory Macdonald got paid about $68,000 for that title fight with Robbie Lawler. Largely considered the best fight ever, it'll be replayed and talked about for years to come. Meanwhile Rory's face might be permanently fucked because of it, he's super young and his career might not last much longer. You're lucky to get a 10 year career in MMA and the $4 billion dollar promotion actively goes out of their way to make it so the fighters can't have sponsorships.

Like for fuck sakes, no fucking health insurance in a sport when you're getting punched in the face. That's so fucked up.

I honestly don't understand how people that watch MMA can't sympathize with the idea of the fighters wanting to get paid more fairly. They're not asking to all make Conor's payday, but how about a fucking living wage? There are fighters like Michelle Waterson that got paid $30,000 for her fighter with PVZ. (eg: the main event of a fox show)

Like apparently Rory Macdonald got paid about $68,000 for that title fight with Robbie Lawler. Largely considered the best fight ever, it'll be replayed and talked about for years to come. Meanwhile Rory's face might be permanently fucked because of it, he's super young and his career might not last much longer. You're lucky to get a 10 year career in MMA and the $4 billion dollar promotion actively goes out of their way to make it so the fighters can't have sponsorships.

Like for fuck sakes, no fucking health insurance in a sport when you're getting punched in the face. That's so fucked up.

Keep in mind that out of their fight pay, they have to pay for their travel, expenses, their team/corner, their trainers, nutritionists, ect...that all help them spend months and months preparing for a fight. People think these guys are tall pocketing that $10-50K they are getting.

pixelation

I don't think anyone has said they shouldn't get paid better. Just that Iaquinta is going about it poorly.

This!, he is doing himself no favors and gaining close to zero support just as a result of the way he's voicing his discontent.

Also... hoping Cody gets slept, the TUF show is making me really dislike him.

Spladam

Apparently Rory Macdonald got paid about $68,000 for that title fight with Robbie Lawler. Largely considered the best fight ever, it'll be replayed and talked about for years to come. Meanwhile Rory's face might be permanently fucked because of it, he's super young and his career might not last much longer. You're lucky to get a 10 year career in MMA and the $4 billion dollar promotion actively goes out of their way to make it so the fighters can't have sponsorships.

Keep in mind that out of their fight pay, they have to pay for their travel, expenses, their team/corner, their trainers, nutritionists, ect...that all help them spend months and months preparing for a fight. People think these guys are tall pocketing that $10-50K they are getting.

Man, I have to be honest, the way the UFC runs this seems like it's lucrative for them in the short term but catastrophic in the long term. It's basic shit, if you don't pay the guys a living wage you're not going to draw talent, this seems suicidal for maintaining a lasting and profitable promotion company. As a fan, this sucks.

Chumley

Banned
Man, I have to be honest, the way the UFC runs this seems like it's lucrative for them in the short term but catastrophic in the long term. It's basic shit, if you don't pay the guys a living wage you're not going to draw talent, this seems suicidal for maintaining a lasting and profitable promotion company. As a fan, this sucks.

It defies logic when you look at how much the company sold for.

Dana White and co are absolutely rolling in money and private jets yet they routinely fuck over all of their fighters. It's straight up deplorable.

If he was quietly protesting in a respectful manner, you wouldn't be talking about it. Good for him.

Us talking about it won't amount to anything. We're not the primary earning demographic and the Just Bleed afficianado's don't care and won't care as long as the complaints aren't coming from a GSP/Conor level popular fighter. The Union attempts were a better angle to try to take. Exodus to a competing brand is a better angle to take. This is just going to make most people dislike the dude because of the way he's coming across.

Chumley

Banned
Us talking about it won't amount to anything. We're not the primary earning demographic and the Just Bleed afficianado's don't care and won't care as long as the complaints aren't coming from a GSP/Conor level popular fighter. The Union attempts were a better angle to try to take. Exodus to a competing brand is a better angle to take. This is just going to make most people dislike the dude because of the way he's coming across.

Yeah, those uppity fighters need to know their place am I right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
we're never gonna get mcgreggor v diaz 3 are we? :(

I like Al. Ever since his "you boo me?" outburst, I've always watched his interviews, especially when he's on MMA Hour. I think he's really funny, whether he means to be or not. Which reminds me I have to check out yesterday's MMA Hour.

Levito

Banned

You also have to wonder how much more talented fighters could get if they were paid a decent living wage and could focus 100% on training and didn't have to worry about other means of making money. Shane Carwin was an engineer when he was still fighting, Holly Holm taught fitness classes, the list goes on.

Heel

The idea that civil discourse is going to make any headway at this point is laughable. I'm sure he's behind any union being formed and is signed to a contract that renews in perpetuity.

Clearly it's done more than "make most people dislike dude" if you're still talking about it days later, and more than kindly asking for change ever would or has for the last decade. I doubt he cares if you dislike him for voicing his displeasure with the MMA landscape, either.

He sparked debate, which is the little power he actually has in this situation. Good for him.

The idea that civil discourse is going to make any headway at this point is laughable. I'm sure he's behind any union being formed and is signed to a contract that renews in perpetuity.

Clearly it's done more than "make most people dislike dude" if you're still talking about it days later, and more than kindly asking for change ever would or has for the last decade. I doubt he cares if you dislike him for voicing his displeasure with the MMA landscape, either.

He sparked debate, which is the little power he actually has in this situation. Good for him.

I'm not suggesting civil discourse, at least as far as the UFC woulf consider it but instead leveraging the power that the fighters wield as the talent draw.

The fact is that the talent pool is more shallow than it has been in years, putting the fighters in a better position to pressure the UFC than they have ever been in in the organization. Too many of the UFC's top draws get injured too often, pop hot, or are getting to worn down/old. If the middle of the roster/upcoming prospects move to say, Bellator, they can force a shift in policy while also being able to pick up income they've lost due to the Reebok deal. Sticking with he UFC on yhe off chance of becoming the next GSP, Rhonda, or Conor in terms of popularity and/or draw is a fools errand if you're making pennies on the dollar fighting wars that shorten your career.

I mean if you want to retire, by all means. If you want to force change, do something to push that direction while there's still a chance. Because the liklihood of another Org starting up to compete with the UFC is slim and once Bellator is gone there literally won't be another game in town.

brentech

Garbrandt threatened to sell the video of TJ getting knocked out; tells TJ to pick a charity for the proceeds. TJ fires back: "The charity should be something for kids without fathers so they don't grow up to act like Cody." (at 29:42 of UFC Unfiltered)
Yo damnnnnnnnnnnn

I'm gonna actually watch the non-fight parts of TUF this season because of Cody and TJ.

I am actually not on either of their sides cuz it seems like they're making TJ look like the bad guy when we don't know what really happened. I do want to hate TJ because of how he smug and clean cut he looks but I recognize that's not fair.

Unknown fighters are in a bad spot. RDA for example was known but wasnt THAT over with the fans. Guy like him and Aldo had to smash everybody and get the belt to get the better payday.

If you cant get to the belt, have a shaky record and are bitching, yeah you are in a bad bad spot.

Cody vs TJ will be hella interesting. Having seen both live in fights TJ is the faster of the two, at least in terms of mixing up his game. Frankly TJ is the fastest fighter I've ever seen live outside of Mighty Mouse.

But Cody has insane accuracy, something that is hugely underrated with him, and his boxing for MMA is world class. The man knows how to time and execute a combo. Even on a professional boxing level (no I don't think Cody would be a world class boxer. YES I do think he would be probably be ranked in some capacity though)

At the end of the day the X factor for me is TJ's ability to mix the game up and his takedowns. That is the main threat. As long as this stays on the feet I favor Cody and I pick him to win. I picked him to beat Cruz and I pick him vs TJ (though I think this is a harder fight for No Love than Cruz was)

Chumley

Banned
MMA math says Cody beats TJ because Cody beat Dom, who beat TJ.

But MMA math is also bullshit. I can't pick either one for a favorite, going to be an insane match.

Spladam

MMA math says Cody beats TJ because Cody beat Dom, who beat TJ.

But MMA math is also bullshit. I can't pick either one for a favorite, going to be an insane match.

Lol, yeah, I've learned that "MMA math" holds very little accuracy despite the logic. Good fights are all about good match ups, and this one has memorable written all over it.

SteveWD40

Never understood guys like Tim Kennedy who are open Trump supporters that constantly bitch about fighter pay and lack of employee rights.

They (most of his supporters) are not exactly the intelligentsia, probably don't see the irony. Trump enables their nationalism / racism / xenophobia and that's what matters. Plus Dems are coming for their guns.

Diaz Bros both on the same card? Now that's a must see PPV.

Nick vs Woodley
Nate vs Ferguson

They've said in the past they didn't wanna fight on the same card but that's before they were getting paid millions. Those PPV points are too hard to pass up.

Tom Gallicchio exhibiting some of the worst standup I've ever seen in my life tonight on TUF.

Uriah, TJ and Cody all argue and bicker like 12 year olds.

Jeremy Stephens just looked like fuck I quit drinking for this?

What kind of person buys a half handful of M&Ms and Skiddles out of a candy machine? I like how he gives the dispensing slot a quick wipe with a napkin once a month to clean it. That's not disgusting at all.

Gallicchio's prefight interview reminded me of the inventor of Bullet Ball.

Urijah spent all that time telling him to focus on the choke arm and he goes for the foot, lol.

Tom Gallicchio caught lighting in a bottle. To lose to a bum like this especially when they focused on sub defense before. It seems to me that all guys are getting prepared to get knocked out in their first UFC fight.

TJ "money" I got kids to feed is next.

Levito

Banned
Who woulda thought a bunch of dudes that trained under a gym called "Alpha Male" would act like a bunch of emotional tweens.

I don't care about the drama but I'm excited for that fight, it'll be super competitive for sure.

Heel

http://middleeasy.com/mma-news/wolf...randt-dillashaw-play-nice-bond-love-marriage/

gUAh8KDl.png

Top Bottom