• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley’s $400 Juicer May Be Feeling the Squeeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/i-just-love-this-juicero-story-so-much-1794459898

KuGsj.gif

He's wrong when saying the bags are filled with juice. According to Juiecero's website, the bag contains finely chopped fruit which is actually squeezed.

https://www.juicero.com/the-packs/

Not that I'm trying to support this product...

fixedpoint

Well, there's the Soylent guy who made this long, super smug and utterly insane post about how superior and efficient he is for throwing out all his clothes instead of washing them, among other things.

http://robrhinehart.com/?p=1331

The guy takes being self-absorbed beyond comic book levels.

This is the most oblivious and hypocritical thing I've ever read, almost a work of art. So many gems.

He's wrong when saying the bags are filled with juice. According to Juiecero's website, the bag contains finely chopped fruit which is actually squeezed.

I would like to see what goes in that packet, and how necessary they are to the overall product quality. Like, does any of that "fresh chopped fruit and vegetables" actually go into the drink, or could I just use a straw and get the same drink?

TransTrender

Gold Member
This is a perfect reflection of too many things in our society. Aside from the VC's getting hosed the best part will be the insufferable braindead assholes that will buy and defend this 'lifestyle' product to the end while they live paycheck to paycheck under the boot of these vampires.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The worst wi-fi-enabled device is still that dildo with a camera, remote control and weak security.

Keurig beat ya to it. There are k-cups for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and even soup.

So what? Meal replacement drinks are older than me but that Soylent weirdo still managed to make a lot of money simply by marketing them to lazy people and through the generosity of some of the dumbest backers in the admittedly short history of Kickstarter.

maks

Im ok with this lol. This guys a genius for the way he tapped into one of the most gullible industries out there.

border

The worst part of using a juicer is that every time you use it you have to disassemble the whole damned thing and clean a ton of individual parts. I think a juicer that requires next-to-no cleaning or maintenance is an incredible idea that would go a long way.

At some point though it looks like these guys got obsessed with the lucrative razor blade busniess model, and decided to poison the whole thing with their DRM technology. If this were just a one-time purchase with an easy-to-clean juicing pouch that you could put your own fruits and vegetables into, I think it could be incredibly successful.

Coreda

bwahahahhaha i actually have one of these (got it free from work)

Work even gave us a free box of juices packets, but because you have to pay for a subscription even if you already have juice packets, you can't use it.

Amazing.

The worst wi-fi-enabled device is still that dildo with a camera, remote control and weak security.

I'd say it's all the insecure IP cameras in general that continue to be widely sold and are accessible to view publicly, have backdoors, or have serious flaws with their account systems (users who had returned some NetGear cameras for example found they could still log into the new owner's account). The whole IoT thing can be a mess. In Feb it was revealed a children's IoT teddy bear was using unsecured servers to store parent's/children's voice recordings, was hackable and could be used for remote spying purposes.

longdi

Banned
How is it hard to maintain a juicer? You just cut the fruits, juice, dump everything else into bin and rinse with water.

Now if there is a instant fresh juicy steak, that will be different. #patentpending

99Luffy

Banned
Whats the point of even juicing anyways, wouldnt you rather have all the fiber that you keep from just blending it?

Whats the point of even juicing anyways, wouldnt you rather have all the fiber that you keep from just blending it?

Watch the ridiculous documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead to see where the modern trend of juicing came from. The whole thing is utter nonsense.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'd buy one of these
if I owned literally everything else

I could literally just spend five hours bulk juicing fresh fruit and veggies for this crap by hand and come out hundreds of dollars ahead and not have something that weighs three hundred pounds taking up my entire counter.

Or I could just buy some orange juice because it's basically just as healthy for you as this crap.

GhaleonEB

Huh. I had to read the entire article and then go to the website before I finally concluded it only squeezed bags, not fruit and vegetables. That's so dumb it's actually kind of amazing.
The worst part of using a juicer is that every time you use it you have to disassemble the whole damned thing and clean a ton of individual parts. I think a juicer that requires next-to-no cleaning or maintenance is an incredible idea that would go a long way.

At some point though it looks like these guys got obsessed with the lucrative razor blade business model, and decided to poison the whole thing with their DRM technology. If this were just a one-time purchase with an easy-to-clean juicing pouch that you could put your own fruits and vegetables into, I think it could be incredibly successful.

That would actually be a pretty good model. They would still be selling the disposable bags. Basically the juicing equivalent of those vacuum pack machines that sell you over priced bags. There would be a decent market for it. Not for $6 glasses of juice via mail.

mike6467

There's always money in the banana stand.

So this is basically juice as a service. They really should've given you the juicer and tied you into a yearly juice contract though. Then the DRM makes perfect sense, because you can't have people jailbreaking their juicers and pirating fruit....or something.

"Please ensure your juicer is connected to the internet, juicing will not begin until product is authenticated." I wonder if Denuvo's in on this yet.

One of the dumbest things on earth.

Even beyond the utter stupidity of the device and its cost... people pay $8 for a SINGLE cup of juice? Fuck, I wouldn't even pay that amount for a gallon of juice.

border

That would actually be a pretty good model. They would still be selling the disposable bags. Basically the juicing equivalent of those vacuum pack machines that sell you over priced bags. There would be a decent market for it. Not for $6 glasses of juice via mail.

I think the main problem is that there are a ton of stiffer, denser vegetables and fruits that would be difficult to juice without a lot of prep. How do you juice carrots, apples, celery? Obviously you could spend time cutting them all into thin slices, but then you lose the advantage of having a hassle-free juicer. If this device has all the strength and force of a hydraulic press then maybe it's not an issue.

NewGame

Banned
I need a glass of juice

- Unlocks phone
- Connect to Wi-Fi
- Opens Juice app
- Signs in with Juice account
- Read instructions
- Generate QR Code
- Scan QR Code with the Juicer
- Sync phone with Juicer
- App updates, check cloud light on the Juicer

You know, what I'm just going to drink water.

Manzoon

Banned
This has been a constant source of entertainment for me today. I just keep imagining that instructional video with a Dr. Steve Brule voice over, and it ending with "For your health!"

Salamando

So GAF what mundane task can we overengineer and somehow make millions from lazy and gullible people?

Two words: Chicken Nuggets.

We build a machine who's sole function is the cooking of perfect chicken nuggets and squirting an appropriate amount of sauce. The nuggets would come in individual packs of 8. The machine would read a QR code to figure out the ideal nugget "doneness", and how to cook it given the current nugget temperature. A little notification would then ding on your phone, alerting you to the farm your chicken was culled from.

cilonen

The point of a Keurig is that it's instant coffee you get from a little pod (mixed with water you provide).

This thing is like if they shipped you bottles of coffee and you used a machine to transfer it from the bottle to your cup.

Bags of coffee. Bags... hang on... wait...

Off to Silicon Valley for some meetings BRB.

I would like to see what goes in that packet, and how necessary they are to the overall product quality. Like, does any of that "fresh chopped fruit and vegetables" actually go into the drink, or could I just use a straw and get the same drink?

There's actually fruits and veggies in the packets. You can feel it in the texture when you press the bag. Even though i've tried plenty of them, I'm actually curious how they make the bags. There's no pulp or anything when you squeeze it out, even when not using the brickmachine lol. My guess is there's a really fine filter inside and it's engineered like a blood bag where the slit is very small for the liquid to come through

And yeah you actually really have to squeeze to get it out of the bag. Similar to wringing a towel.

massoluk

Banned
There's actually fruits and veggies in the packets. You can feel it in the texture when you press the bag. Even though i've tried plenty of them, I'm actually curious how they make the bags. There's no pulp or anything when you squeeze it out, even when not using the brickmachine lol. My guess is there's a really fine filter inside and it's engineered like a blood bag where the slit is very small for the liquid to come through

And yeah you actually really have to squeeze to get it out of the bag. Similar to wringing a towel.

No pulps? I'd like a health snob/hippy to defend this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

So... you get none of the benefits of having the actual fruit pieces instead of going straight juice?

cilonen

No pulps? I'd like a health snob/hippy to defend this.

I think they mean no pulp comes out when you hand squeeze or get the machine to press as there's some sort of filter in there. You can see the pulp when they cut one open in the recycling part of the YouTube video.

massoluk

Banned
I think they mean no pulp comes out when you hand squeeze or get the machine to press as there's some sort of filter in there. You can see the pulp when they cut one open in the recycling part of the YouTube video.

I mean you WANT pulps. That's the point of fresh squeeze. Otherwise you may as well just order Tropicana. Them fibers

Edit: and seriously, that recycle process. So we have a product that is more expensive, more time wasting, less inconvenient, and possibly more waste.

Kayant

Lmaooo so not only did they DRM a Juicer it also has a sub like.... Who the fuck though this would be a good idea pass a few sales.

Subscriptions​ continue to be best and also worst new business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom