• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

I found an interesting folk/viking/pagan metal album that is so good I don't know how I missed it when it came out in 2012, or how this band has eluded me this long because I love all of the influences on display here. It has it's roots in Enslaved's early-mid 2000's era, maybe not quite as heady as that though. Songwriting and musicianship are exceptional. This kind of material is rare, it just takes a band that has reached a certain level over time. One of the best examples of a criminally underappreciated album that I've ever come across. Watch everyone know about this album and I'm the most oblivious folk/pagan metal fan.

Hel - Das Atmen der Erde (GER, 2012)
337605.jpg

It should certainly start hitting home what you're listening to here by the time you get to "Am Grunde der Unendlichkeit", which is the masterpiece around halfway through the album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLSRxITCT4

Corpsepyre

Banned
The new Bell Witch album is a fucking masterpiece. EPIC. So many feels with the use of Adrians unused vocal tracks from Four Phantoms and Erik Moggridge of Aerial Ruin being featured again so prominently again on the last half. My AOTY by a mile.

Fucking amazing album. I can't stop listening. Can you pinpoint as to where Adrian's vocals come in though?

Cactus

Banned
Ok, I didn't tell you anything new then. :D Last year I was at a little Rotor festival they organize yearly. Colour Haze were a surprise act one evening, haha.

Awesome! They're at the top of my list of bands that I'd love to see. Unfortunately, I would probably have to travel to Europe to make it happen.

Awesome! They're at the top of my list of bands that I'd love to see. Unfortunately, I would probably have to travel to Europe to make it happen.

Yeah, I love that we have some national treasures in that sense. Sometimes I have to wait years to Sleep or High on Fire so I know the feeling.

So October's halfway over. What are your favorite autumn songs? So far I've got these in my playlist (trying to keep it to one per artist):

Lake of Tears - So Fell Autumn Rain
Opeth - Forest of October
Wintersun - Eternal Darkness (Autumn)
Drudkh - Glare of Autumn (really any song from this album)
Panopticon - Autumn Eternal

I'd really like to hear more in the vein of the last two.

choodi

Banned
So October's halfway over. What are your favorite autumn songs? So far I've got these in my playlist (trying to keep it to one per artist):

But it's Spring in the southern hemisphere...

Ravager61

Here's a few. Pretty much every album these songs are on are great so I recommend listening to the whole thing if you like the track.

Woods of Desolation - This Autumn Light
Gallowbraid - Autumn I and Autumn II
November's Doom - Autumn Reflection
Coldword - Autumn Shade
Type O Negative - All Hallows Eve

But it's Spring in the southern hemisphere...

Shit...well, spring-themed metal would probably be an interesting exercise, too!

Here's a few. Pretty much every album these songs are on are great so I recommend listening to the whole thing if you like the track.

Woods of Desolation - This Autumn Light
Gallowbraid - Autumn I and Autumn II
November's Doom - Autumn Reflection
Coldword - Autumn Shade
Type O Negative - All Hallows Eve

This is just what I was looking for! The first two bands especially. Will definitely be checking out the full albums, thanks.

Ravager61

Listening to the new Bell Witch and Yellow Eyes albums today
and the Future/Young Thug tape

What a fucking awesome day for new music

Discovered Graves at Sea lately, they put out their full length album last year called "The Curse That is", check it out if you like blackened doom. Also Coffinworm is pretty good (but they split up last year).

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Graves_at_Sea/14493

558835.jpg

Unfortunately all their tracks are unavailable on YT if you click them but this one isn't (first track on the album): "The Curse That is".

My favourite tracks are "This Mental Sentence" and "The Ashes Make Her Beautiful" (bandcamp links since can't find them on YT).

Check them out on Bandcamp/Spotify/Google Music (they're on all of them).

Been addicted to it this whole week. Always looking for more bands in my two favourite genres (black metal and doom metal) and of course its fusion genre of blackened doom.

the new Yellow Eyes is brilliant. Already got my deluxe tape and CD on the way. I need them to come West. Those of you in Europe better catch them if can this winter.

Ravager61

the new Yellow Eyes is brilliant. Already got my deluxe tape and CD on the way. I need them to come West. Those of you in Europe better catch them if can this winter.

Yeah I absolutely love it. Probably their best release. Listened a couple times already and going back for more.

Woffls

I dont know what kinda shit Nox Vorago is, but i am really into them at the moment.

Also Dyscarnate’s latest is colossal as expected.

I was listening to the new Bell Witch and realized I'm not going to have time to get through it in one sitting for a while. Started thinking of other bands that are just a bassist and drummer and remembered Hulk Smash, which I somehow found out about like 10 years ago, I think maybe via myspace.

Turns out they had an album since 2007 so I bought that instead.

https://hulksmash.bandcamp.com/album/deer

Really unique sound, not sure if they even call themselves metal but it's good stuff.

I wasn't expecting to buy any music today but got an email announcement for a new Ron Gallo 7" and instead grabbed the digital copy on bandcamp, and then also grabbed the 2nd Hulk Smash album after only listening to one song.

Turns out both items I bought have Danzig covers and I didn't even know. Pretty fun discovering that on the commute home.

https://rongallo.bandcamp.com/track/am-i-demon

I can't link the Hulk Smash cover of "Twist of Cain" because it's apparently a "hidden" track and not streamable but downloads as an mp3.

Tankard

Surprise no one has posted this.

Hallatar – No Stars Upon the Bridge

A side project of Juha Raivio of Swallow the Sun, where he used poems written by his wife Aleah Stanbridge whom passed away in 2016.

The results = a unique, amazing tribute to his wife, Funeral Doom album.

Thanks a lot for posting. I had no idea about this one and i'm listening Trees of Eternity til these days, so beautiful.

Quikies83

Surprise no one has posted this.

A side project of Juha Raivio of Swallow the Sun, where he used poems written by his wife Aleah Stanbridge whom passed away in 2016.

The results = a unique, amazing tribute to his wife, Funeral Doom album.

Had no idea. Thank you so much for posting.. Trees of Eternity was really great..
and funeral doom is my bag.

I misspoke regarding Yellow Eyes. They are in fact touring Europe starting next week. Here is a flyer.

hKAytUt.jpg

if anyone going would be willing to help me obtain a copy of the LP version (exclusive to this tour), I would really appreciate it.

20cent

Banned
a2508432442_16.jpg

I'm digging this album by the band Naeramarth. Hadn't heard of them but checked it out on band camp and then listened to it in whole on spotify a few times. Sounds kind of like Opeth/Leprous/Ihsahn but a bit more cinematic in a way. I dig it.

After being a member of this forum for 6 years and a daily lurker; I think it's the first time I've clicked on the Community section. And first thing I see is this thread and recommendation, that's amazing. It will be my album of the coming few weeks I think. Thanks!

HF2014

Dont remember if i post it yet or if it have been post.

Skeletal Remains - Condemned to Misery.

Pure old school Death Metal, in the mold of Death Leprosy era - Obituary - Pestilence. This album is just freakin amazing! Dated from 2015, it was their second official album. While im not totally digging their first album, imo, this album goes right in my top 5 death metal albums of all time, which are Death - Leprosy, Death - Human, Pestilence - Consuming Impulse, Obituary - The End Complete. I havent listen to recent death metal album cause the genre was imo getting crappy compare to old school death metal, but this band, just my god.

Listen to this album now, just fucking amazing!

516133.jpg

Top Bottom