• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
No, just regular moles.

You mean Turtle Moles, right? Or Lion Moles?

No... regular moles.

8kSWg.jpg

Ravidrath

Yeah, if they do what I think they are going to do and pull it off... it will be pretty amazing.

As people have noticed, there are lots of little instances of "bullying" by benders. There are the obvious ones, like the Triads threatening shop owners. There are probably-justifiable but ultimately heavy-handed ones like the raid on the training facility. And one look at the city council shows that despite benders being a minority, they run all the affairs of the city, and seem to be doing quite well for it.

Right now, we are seeing the world through the eyes of Korra, and she lives in a world where she is one of those privileged few. But if they change her perspective (
Possibly by stripping one of her friends of their powers - my guess would be Mako, since he's smart and capable without them
) the true balance can be learned, and then the imbalance can be fixed.

There were even signs of it in the very first episode, but they didn't seem to really register to her. All of her first experiences in Republic City were more or less about bender/normal inequality: the cost of food, the homeless guy, the triads and a pretty extreme police reaction. And the only reason she was spared the full brunt of the police was because of her connections.

I expect she's going to basically vacillate between the two sides, AstroBoy-style, in trying to bridge this lack of understanding.

Evlar

Banned
I expect they'll take Korra's bending away, and she'll have to get right with her spiritual side to get it back.

Yeah, if they do what I think they are going to do and pull it off... it will be pretty amazing.

As people have noticed, there are lots of little instances of "bullying" by benders. There are the obvious ones, like the Triads threatening shop owners. There are probably-justifiable but ultimately heavy-handed ones like the raid on the training facility. And one look at the city council shows that despite benders being a minority, they run all the affairs of the city, and seem to be doing quite well for it.

Right now, we are seeing the world through the eyes of Korra, and she lives in a world where she is one of those privileged few. But if they change her perspective (
Possibly by stripping one of her friends of their powers - my guess would be Mako, since he's smart and capable without them
) the true balance can be learned, and then the imbalance can be fixed.

There were even signs of it in the very first episode, but they didn't seem to really register to her. All of her first experiences in Republic City were more or less about bender/normal inequality: the cost of food, the homeless guy, the triads and a pretty extreme police reaction. And the only reason she was spared the full brunt of the police was because of her connections.

I expect she's going to basically vacillate between the two sides, AstroBoy-style, in trying to bridge this lack of understanding.

IDK about food cost. Didn't she literally order one of everything? I see that more as an example of how she's used to being coddled.

Bit-Bit

Yeah I made a mistake. I meant South.

Except Toph wasn't exactly spiritual, and yet she could bend.

I dunno. Toph might not have shown "spirituality" or whatever, but she was 12 years old when we met her and already a master bender. Most people spend their entire lifetimes just to reach her level. And she spent most of her childhood alone and hidden from the world. That most likely gave her plenty of time to look inward and discover herself in a way some would say "spiritual". She was always connected to the world around her, from the smallest ant to the largest badger mole. That's a form of spirituality if there ever was one. Heck, Aang first learned about the "connections" that all living thing has through a guru that achieved enlightenment in a swamp. Though Toph's personality is head first (like Korra), she actually thinks about things and looks before she acts upon them (unlike Korra).

Korra by comparison is brash, hot headed, and stupid. She never really think about things before she acts. Heck, she's the Avatar and she looks to Mako for the leadership and plans.

BigDug13

I dunno. Toph might not have shown "spirituality" or whatever, but she was 12 years old when we met her and already a master bender. Most people spend their entire lifetimes just to reach her level. And she spent most of her childhood alone and hidden from the world. That most likely gave her plenty of time to look inward and discover herself in a way some would say "spiritual". She was always connected to the world around her, from the smallest ant to the largest badger mole. That's a form of spirituality if there ever was one. Heck, Aang first learned about the "connections" that all living thing has through a guru that achieved enlightenment in a swamp. Though Toph's personality is head first (like Korra), she actually thinks about things and looks before she acts upon them (unlike Korra).

Korra by comparison is brash, hot headed, and stupid. She never really think about things before she acts. Heck, she's the Avatar and she looks to Mako for the leadership and plans.

I thought the justification for Toph's vast power was the fact that she was blind. That whole, "blind people have heightened senses to compensate" thing. We didn't really encounter any other blind benders that I can recall. She had "heightened bending" to compensate for the lost sense.

Mumei

I thought the justification for Toph's vast power was the fact that she was blind. That whole, "blind people have heightened senses to compensate" thing. We didn't really encounter any other blind benders that I can recall. She had "heightened bending" to compensate for the lost sense.

I don't think she had heightened bending to compensate for the lost sense; I think it was simply the issue of heightened senses. And more specifically in her case, she developed a new sense of sorts (seismic sense) and was also able to use that sense to create metal bending.

ant1532

Banned
sometimes i wish this show didnt have the one generic thing all cartoons have with the characters in the same clothes everyday. audiences are smart, we can handle it.

Evlar

Banned
sometimes i wish this show didnt have the one generic thing all cartoons have with the characters in the same clothes everyday. audiences are smart, we can handle it.

They had Korra in several different outfits in this episode. Tenzin's formal robe was pretty awesome.

IDK about food cost. Didn't she literally order one of everything? I see that more as an example of how she's used to being coddled.
I wouldn't say coddled. I think some people get this impression that she was living in luxury. Korras reaction to the city was like someone who grew up in the country/small town visiting nyc for the first time. She was hidden away from the world for her own protection.

The justification was that her blindness helped her connect to earth in a way that most earthbenders can't.

BigDug13

The justification was that her blindness helped her connect to earth in a way that most earthbenders can't.

Right. That's pretty much what I said. I'm sure if there was a blind water bender, their connection to the water would be more intense. Loss of a sense heightens the others, including bending.

Toph could find people due to vibrations in the earth. A blind water bender could detect people by the movement of their blood.

Right. That's pretty much what I said. I'm sure if there was a blind water bender, their connection to the water would be more intense. Loss of a sense heightens the others, including bending.

I dunno about that. Earth bending seems like the most contact oriented form of bending; Toph connected to earth by feeling it and everything connected to it, giving her a different perspective from people who just see it. The earth literally replaced her eyes. It doesn't seem like waterbending would really work the same at all(i.e. water sense) as, again, it's not as contact oriented as earth bending.

Feep

Banned
It's not confusing. In cartoons, almost all characters wear a single outfit for their entire lives. I remember an episode of Doug that made fun of it (Skeeter's closet was full of dozens of the exact same outfit).

There are special circumstances, but by and large, it's always the same.

BigDug13

I dunno about that. Earth bending seems like the most contact oriented form of bending; Toph connected to earth by feeling it and everything connected to it, giving her a different perspective from people who just see it. The earth literally replaced her eyes. It doesn't seem like waterbending would really work the same at all(i.e. water sense) as, again, it's not as contact oriented as earth bending.

I think it would. Water bending is moving water from a distance. That water has to be sensed by the water bender in some way. A blind water bender could navigate around people by sensing where the water (blood) was flowing. And could navigate around obstacles by rotating a series of water drops around herself and detecting the impacts, etc.

Being forced to "see" by using bending techniques would cause that person to become better at bending as it becomes a natural part of their senses.

Arment

Are other bending powers suited to being blind?

It's been a while so I forgot how they explained it, but Toph felt vibrations in the earth to see, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think fire would translate well with that, nor air or water. There's no feedback loop. I suppose the real question is how in tune with the elements are the other benders? Does a water bender sense water well enough to use it as sight? If an air bender senses the same way, wouldn't he be overloaded all the time?

Echo location might work for airbenders. Hell, after some thought, an air bender could see ever nook and cranny if he's able to use his natural abilities as a feedback loop. A water bender might be able to do something like that underwater...maybe.

Are other bending powers suited to being blind?

It's been a while so I forgot how they explained it, but Toph felt vibrations in the earth to see, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think fire would translate well with that, nor air or water. There's no feedback loop. I suppose an airbender could use echo location.

Yeah, I don't think it'd work well for anyone but an earth bender. They wouldn't be able to see like Toph does due to not being able to sense the vibrations.

Ravidrath

So I rewatched the eps. In the council meeting, Tarrlol mentions Aang dealing with someone who threatened the city long ago named "Yakul," or something like that.

When Amon knocks Korra out, we see a flashback, presumably of Aang's memories of an important event from the past. It ends with a close-up on some beady, unknown eyes. It seems pretty safe to assume that these are memories of Aang's fight with Yakul, and the eyes at the end are Yakul's.

Considering Aang could create vortexes around himself that blocked ranged weaponry and pushed people around, I'd say yeah. They wouldn't even be able to restrain him from afar, let alone get close enough to chi-block. Also, on Aang being an innovative bender, didn't he master air by creating his own technique? Seems that kind of creativeness is just an inherent part of his personality(helps that air is the element of freedom).

From what I remember every Airbender had to create a new technique as their last test before they got their title as master and got their tats.

From what I remember every Airbender had to create a new technique as their last test before they got their title as master and got their tats.

actually they don't have to as mastering all 36 was enough but creating a new technique implied you were skilled enough and went beyond the teachings (Aang only mastered 35 and the creation of the scooter made it 36)

Except Toph wasn't exactly spiritual, and yet she could bend.
I think this lil snippet from wiki is a good explanation.
"Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being; or the "deepest values and meanings by which people live." Spiritual practices, including meditation, prayer and contemplation, are intended to develop an individual's inner life; spiritual experience includes that of connectedness with a larger reality, yielding a more comprehensive self; with other individuals or the human community; with nature or the cosmos; or with the divine realm. Spirituality is often experienced as a source of inspiration or orientation in life. It can encompass belief in immaterial realities or experiences of the immanent or transcendent nature of the world."

She learnt how to earth bend from connecting with the "original earth benders" one day in a cave when she was just a lost baby. She has such a strong connection to the earth that I can't see how that doesn't come across as spiritual.
I have never felt that Spirituality was a belief or opinion on something but more of a foggy term for deep personal insight into yourself or the world around you that can be tapped into though w/e you use to come to this insight. Some people meditate ... some reach it through physical actions such as sparing or playing sports or dancing and some through deep thought.

It was never stated IIRC, hell i don't think any were (except that the scooter was his creation and that helped him to get his tattoo)

I really wouldn't be shocked if it was that airbending ball he put himself into when he went into the AS. That's a pretty damn boss move that allows for free-flight without a glider and he never uses it outside of the AS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom