• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Just defeated Ornstein and Smough. Holy hell. Easily the hardest fight in the game so far. That fight was like "Battletoads hard".

Anor Londo has got to be easily one of the most visually impressive areas I've ever seen in a video game though.

mUKFbh.png

*kicks invader off cliff*

badcagetys1d.gif

Pretty much.

Me in Darkroot Garden kicking one forest dweller/warrior after another off the huge cliff =

BPht3.gif

Ha! I knew that chest was too amazing to be real.

well let's be honest. if you put 2 uber warriors to defend your castle and this super strong knight beats them up, wouldn't you want that knight to be part of your crew?

and what better way to entice such a strong warrior than with a big ol pair of nice tittays that no man or woman can resist?

Uh, Gwynevere actually does exist and looks like that (only she's most likely Gwyn/Gwyndolin sized). She
left though with her husband, most folks believe she didn't exactly agree with her dad and brother's methods of keeping the Age of Fire going.

Anyway, excellent (additional) work Durante. It would be nice to have a HUD that isn't blurry.

la_briola

Just defeated Ornstein and Smough. Holy hell. Easily the hardest fight in the game so far. That fight was like "Battletoads hard".

Anor Londo has got to be easily one of the most visually impressive areas I've ever seen in a video game though.

[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/mUKFbh.png[/IMG]

Pretty much.

Me in Darkroot Garden kicking one forest dweller/warrior after another off the huge cliff =

[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/BPht3.gif[/IMG]
I invaded someone in darkroot garden and realized that he was MUCH stronger than me. So I ran for my life and fell down a cliff and died, but he chased me and fell too. Suddenly I got the message that I vanquished my target. :lol

somesplace

Neo Member
I'm getting awful performance. I just downloaded the game and applied the 0.8 patch. Checked this thread again and thought, maybe I have the 15 fps lock problem? So I looked for that DarkSouls.ini file, but my computer doesn't seem to have it.

I found the DarkSouls folder under C:\[my_user_name]\My Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls

but in the DarkSouls folder there's just a folder for my "gamertag" or whatever, nothing else tho.

edit -

looks like my display only runs at 60hz anyway. wonder what could be the problem. i'm definitely getting way under 30 fps at most points, even at 1024 x 768. my computer ran max payne 3 just fine almost maxed out at 1440 x 1050, and recently mirror's edge ran smoothly as well at 1920 x 1080.

I'm getting awful performance. I just downloaded the game and applied the 0.8 patch. Checked this thread again and thought, maybe I have the 15 fps lock problem? So I looked for that DarkSouls.ini file, but my computer doesn't seem to have it.

I found the DarkSouls folder under C:\[my_user_name]\My Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls

but in the DarkSouls folder there's just a folder for my "gamertag" or whatever, nothing else tho.
You're supposed to do everything in the game's directory.

C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA

Get rid of any previous versions of the patch.

Or am I missing something?

somesplace

Neo Member
No, I put the files durante supplied in the DATA folder, I was talking about the 120hz problem in that post.

At first I thought maybe the problem was I left the DSfix.ini resolution settings at 1920 x 1080, despite turning the in-game resolution back down. However, after adjusting both down to 1024 x 768, I'm still getting like 10 FPS.

rbenchley

No, I put the files durante supplied in the DATA folder, I was talking about the 120hz problem in that post.

At first I thought maybe the problem was I left the DSfix.ini resolution settings at 1920 x 1080, despite turning the in-game resolution back down. However, after adjusting both down to 1024 x 768, I'm still getting like 10 FPS.

If you have an ATI card, try using RadeonPro or the Catalyst Control Center and create a custom profile to override the in in-game settings. Set it for 2X Anti-Aliasing and 16X Anisotropic Filtering.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
*kicks invader off cliff*

badcagetys1d.gif

I'm watching my wife play, and whenever an invader comes she just rolls off the edge. Got invaded a handful of times by the same fellow (figure the guy is probably pissed by now), and he comes in again, and instead of rolling off she just kills him, lmao. I can't even imagine his frustration.

The best thing ever was when she was fighting a dark knight on top of a tower, her guard was broken and she fell over the edge. I thought she was going to fall off the map and die, but instead she fell on a lower platform and lived. Walked back up to the knight and he voluntarily jumped over the edge in pursuit, thus killing himself. We pissed ourselves :D

somesplace

Neo Member
If you have an ATI card, try using RadeonPro or the Catalyst Control Center and create a custom profile to override the in in-game settings. Set it for 2X Anti-Aliasing and 16X Anisotropic Filtering.

Unfortunately I have an nvidia card. I have an intel I7 2630 QM (quad-core) running at 2 ghz, 6 gigs of RAM, and GeForce GT 540M in my laptop; should I be getting large slowdown on this computer? I played the game on Xbox previously, and I don't remember the framerate being this bad...

I also got terrible performance on Diablo 3. Had to turn all of the settings to minimum and run it at 1024 x 768 or even 800 x 600 at times. Seems weird how hit-and-miss games are on this computer (as I mentioned before, Max Payne 3 ran like a dream).

rbenchley

Unfortunately I have an nvidia card. I have an intel I7 2630 QM (quad-core) running at 2 ghz, 6 gigs of RAM, and GeForce GT 540M in my laptop; should I be getting large slowdown on this computer? I played the game on Xbox previously, and I don't remember the framerate being this bad...

Do you have an Optimus dual GPU setup with both Intel and Nvidia chips? Try going into the Nvidia Control Panel and in Manage 3D Settings under Program Settings, select the game (C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA\DATA.EXE) and select the option to use the Nvidia card rather than the integrated Intel. It might be defaulting to the Intel GPU.

somesplace

Neo Member
Do you have an Optimus dual GPU setup with both Intel and Nvidia chips? Try going into the Nvidia Control Panel and in Manage 3D Settings under Program Settings, select the game (C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA\DATA.EXE) and select the option to use the Nvidia card rather than the integrated Intel. It might be defaulting to the Intel GPU.

Thanks. It doesn't seem like this is the case for me. I located DATA.exe under Manage 3D Settings and I don't see any sort of option to select the GPU under "2. Specify the settings for this program:"

Is DATA.exe the actual game? What about DARKSOULS.exe? I've been launching using that one mostly, so I'll try DATA.exe from now on.

rbenchley

Thanks. It doesn't seem like this is the case for me. I located DATA.exe under Manage 3D Settings and I don't see any sort of option to select the GPU under "2. Specify the settings for this program:"

Is DATA.exe the actual game? What about DARKSOULS.exe? I've been launching using that one mostly, so I'll try DATA.exe from now on.

Yeah, DATA.EXE is the actual game. I'm an AMD user, so I'm out of ideas, but I'm sure Durante or one of the mobile Nvidia users here might have some ideas on how to proceed. I seem to remember that a couple of them cleared up their problems by upgrading their Nvidia drivers to the latest beta version. Good luck!

dsk1210

It would be nice if we could render the HUD a lot smaller, it uses way to much screen space, i love the look of the game hudless, but health and stamina are essential to see in this game.

So would it be possible to replace the HUD with smaller icons?

jarosh

Durante, you can probably answer this...

I've always wondered, isn't (SS)AO really just a stop-gap to a more precise, maybe fully dynamic lighting model? I mean, theoretically, if you had more accurate lighting, there would be no need for AO, right?

Durante

Will the screenshot key be customizable? My keyboard, for instance, does not have a print screen key.
Making keymappings customizable is on my list. But it's a bit of boring grunt work, so it's not very high on the list ;)

It would be nice if we could render the HUD a lot smaller, it uses way to much screen space, i love the look of the game hudless, but health and stamina are essential to see in this game.

So would it be possible to replace the HUD with smaller icons?
That has been my plan from the beginning. Sadly it's harder than I thought. Still planned though.

Durante, you can probably answer this...

I've always wondered, isn't (SS)AO really just a stop-gap to a more precise, maybe fully dynamic lighting model? I mean, theoretically, if you had more accurate lighting, there would be no need for AO, right?
Well, you have to understand that everything in real-time rendering is just a stop-gap, so to speak. It's about pulling off the best approximation that you can in real-time, and has never been about being "correct" -- and it likely won't be for another few decades at least. And currently, for simulating global illumination (and subsets of it, such as ambient occlusion) screen-space methods seem to be the best way to go if you want realtime performance.

So to answer your question, sure, if you were e.g. doing photon mapping then you wouldn't need to do an ambient occlusion pass - it would just naturally come with your lighting model. But that won't be relevant for real-time rendering in a complex game for quite a while.

AO has always seemed like a half-assed attempt at guessing where shadows might be. It never looks right to me. If (when?) everything moves to raytracing, there will be no need for faking it like this.

dsk1210

Cheers Durante, I really hope you can come up with a HUD solution, once that's done, the game will be perfect in my eyes.

Will be sending a donation to you soon mate, when I get paid, I appreciate what you have some for this game, it really goes to show why the of gaming community is one of the best in the world.

We might come across as entitled sometimes, but there is nothing wrong in wanting to see the full potential realised.

Durante

AO has always seemed like a half-assed attempt at guessing where shadows might be. It never looks right to me. If (when?) everything moves to raytracing, there will be no need for faking it like this.
Actually, raytracing by itself is not good at capturing diffuse lighting (which is what ambient occlusion tries to simulate). Also, I'm extremely skeptical of the hype for using full raytracing for the vast majority of games. Call me when one of those realtime demos contains a few moving humanoid characters of similar detail and animation quality as you can see in recent games.

And as I said above, "faking it" is what realtime rendering (and even large parts of offline rendering) are all about. It's a matter of how convincing your fakes are.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Speaking of downmixing and all, how will it affect listening to music if at all?

Actually, raytracing by itself is not good at capturing diffuse lighting (which is what ambient occlusion tries to simulate). Also, I'm extremely skeptical of the hype for using full raytracing for the vast majority of games. Call me when one of those realtime demos contains a few moving humanoid characters of similar detail and animation quality as you can see in recent games.

And as I said above, "faking it" is what realtime rendering (and even large parts of offline rendering) are all about. It's a matter of how convincing your fakes are.
Oh. Why is it that all the renders you see of interiors using software like Mental Ray have such nice diffuse lighting? I assumed that was just raytracing doing its thing...

Oh. Why is it that all the renders you see of interiors using software like Mental Ray have such nice diffuse lighting? I assumed that was just raytracing doing its thing...

You'd be surprised at how little raytracing is used for lighting in movies. Most studios still prefer to fake light bouncing with manually placed lights. A lot of studios that use Renderman don't even bother with raytracing GI, pointclouds and brickmaps are much more efficient at that.

Of course, upcoming renderers like Arnold are looking to change that, but even then it's still far away from becoming a realtime solution.

jarosh

Making keymappings customizable is on my list. But it's a bit of boring grunt work, so it's not very high on the list ;)

That has been my plan from the beginning. Sadly it's harder than I thought. Still planned though.

Well, you have to understand that everything in real-time rendering is just a stop-gap, so to speak. It's about pulling off the best approximation that you can in real-time, and has never been about being "correct" -- and it likely won't be for another few decades at least. And currently, for simulating global illumination (and subsets of it, such as ambient occlusion) screen-space methods seem to be the best way to go if you want realtime performance.

So to answer your question, sure, if you were e.g. doing photon mapping then you wouldn't need to do an ambient occlusion pass - it would just naturally come with your lighting model. But that won't be relevant for real-time rendering in a complex game for quite a while.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted actually, haha. It just seemed even more apparent with SSAO, considering we've reached actual real-time dynamic lighting quite a while ago. Thanks for the insight though!

Photon mapping.

You'd be surprised at how little raytracing is used for lighting in movies. Most studios still prefer to fake light bouncing with manually placed lights. A lot of studios that use Renderman don't even bother with raytracing GI, pointclouds and brickmaps are much more efficient at that.

Of course, upcoming renderers like Arnold are looking to change that, but even then it's still far away from becoming a realtime solution.

*googles furiously*

Ahaaa. Interesting stuff :)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
How will this game (plus all the fixes) run on this laptop?:

Core i7 @ 1.73 Ghz
6 GB Ram
GeForce GT 425M w/1GB ram

Durante

Yeah, I realized that after I posted actually, haha. It just seemed even more apparent with SSAO, considering we've reached actual real-time dynamic lighting quite a while ago. Thanks for the insight though!
Yes, we do have real-time dynamic lighting, for active ("first-bounce") light, that is light directly coming from light sources. What screen-space stuff like SSAO seeks to approximate is indirect (ambient/diffuse) lighting, that is light reflected from surfaces. There's just no way to do that in a "direct" way when rendering a complex realtime scene, so what you do is look at the neighborhood of each point in the image that the user actually sees, and by sparsely sampling the surroundings (especially their relative depth) try to figure out how much indirect light probably reached that point. It's not perfect, but it still gives the image more depth and realism when done correctly than simply completely ignoring indirect lighting entirely.

How will this game (plus all the fixes) run on this laptop?:

Core i7 @ 1.73 Ghz
6 GB Ram
GeForce GT 425M w/1GB ram
How high does that i7 turbo? You'll probably be CPU limited in some situations (and GPU limited in others, if you select a resolution that is too high, but at least that's fixable).

I invaded someone in darkroot garden and realized that he was MUCH stronger than me. So I ran for my life and fell down a cliff and died, but he chased me and fell too. Suddenly I got the message that I vanquished my target. :lol

It's about like falling to your death in Blighttown "Poisoned!"

O8mpi.png

mr_nothin

Banned
This game scares the crap out of me. I hate turning a corner to see a guy that I know I cant beat, just by looking at his armor and weapon. I proceed to go another route only to hit a corner to see another guy but this time I'm so freakin close that he's chasing me and then he chases me into another guy that I know I cant beat.

It freaks me out so much and I'm not even that far into the game. But this is what I miss from games!!! Reminds me of being ammo-less and ribbon-less (which means no saving) in the early Resident Evil games.

Im not sure If I didnt notice it before or if it was introduced on 0.8, but now I get this weird "banding" around shadows, for example, the shield has shadow bands forming its shading.

Is this a known issue or something I forgot to set in the ini?

Will post a screenshot later when I get home.

This game scares the crap out of me. I hate turning a corner to see a guy that I know I cant beat, just by looking at his armor and weapon. I proceed to go another route only to hit a corner to see another guy but this time I'm so freakin close that he's chasing me and then he chases me into another guy that I know I cant beat.

It freaks me out so much and I'm not even that far into the game. But this is what I miss from games!!! Reminds me of being ammo-less and ribbon-less (which means no saving) in the early Resident Evil games.

Yeah I used to get this a lot at the beginning, you gotta push through, if you are getting one shot killed then you are probably going the wrong way, if it seems like you have a chance if you play strategically then just carry on.

Top Bottom