• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft to announce more Switch games "quite soon"

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So "games" make me think that there could be a game actually interesting
Because obviously just dance will be one of them
Or..has it already been announced?

So "games" make me think that there could be a game actually interesting
Because obviously just dance will be one of them
Or..has it already been announced?

It's already been announced. As for the new announcements. I wouldn't even mind something like Assasin creed collection or something similar.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's already been announced. As for the new announcements. I wouldn't even mind something like Assasin creed collection or something similar.

Good to know
So we can imagine that they are talking good at least about 2 games that are not

Mario rabbids
Just dance
Skywhatever atlas nfc
Steep

Right?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If Ubi suits have any sense in their heads they'll announce Rabbids Go Home 2. Of course they won't do that.

Thraktor

Interesting to hear. I had expected a few more games from Ubisoft than they've announced thus far, so it may be that they've just left some announcements back.

A few thoughts on some of the possibilities, in no particular order:

• South Park (Snowdrop) - On paper it seems like a good fit, as it uses Snowdrop, which we know runs well on the platform, and it shouldn't strain the hardware. However it's been long-delayed, which suggests development has been far from smooth, and I get the feeling they don't want to complicate things further by adding another platform. The delay to 2018 may have given them the time to put together a Switch port, perhaps with part of the Mario+Rabbids team being assigned to handle the port after they finish up.
  • Rainbow Six: Siege (Anvil) - As others have mentioned Ubisoft plan to keep supporting this for a few more years, so adding new platforms isn't out of the question. It should be easier to get running on Switch than their open world titles, too. As an online title, the big worry would be building up a big enough player base for the game. They could give the option of cross-play with PC as a back-up, but Switch users would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of controls.
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins (Anvil) - Would be great to see, but I doubt it. I don't think it would be impossible to run on Switch, but it would take a lot of work. If it had been in development before E3 I don't see why they wouldn't have announced it then, and if they only started post-E3 then there's no chance of them having it ready this year.
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands (Anvil) - It seems to have done quite well for Ubisoft, so they may think there'll be enough interest there for a port. Porting would require quite a lot of work, though, so I don't know if a late port would warrant that. If they could get it running on Switch it would actually be a relatively good fit for the system, as the focus on co-op would work well with the console's wireless multiplayer capabilities.
  • The Division (Snowdrop) - A somewhat more out-there scenario, but Snowdrop seems to run very well on Switch, so logically it shouldn't be that difficult to port to the console, at least compared to AC:O or Wildlands. It would suffer from the same issue as RS:Seige, though, as they may struggle to maintain a large enough player base.
  • Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection (Anvil) - This is probably a better bet than Origins, as it should be much easier to port, and would still have a lot of the wow factor of having mainline AC on a handheld.
  • The Crew 2 (Babel) - I suppose it's a possibility, and the 2018 launch would give them more time to port it over than their 2017 releases. They may have been incentivised to port it over due to the lack of other "serious" racers (well, more serious than Mario Kart). No idea what engine it uses, though.
  • Far Cry 5 (Dunia) - Ditto, but replace racer with FPS.
  • Watch Dogs 2 (Disrupt) - An outside chance for a late port, Ubisoft may see an opening for it with the lack of GTA on the system. That said, it would be a lot of work to port, and that money may be better spent bringing over a 2017 or 2018 game.
  • For Honor (Anvil) - Might see a Steep-style late port to fill out the lineup, but would again have issues with online player base. There wouldn't be as big an issue with PC cross-play, though.

For reference, we know of games in development using both Snowdrop (Mario+Rabbids, Starlink) and Anvil (Steep). Snowdrop seems to be running smoothly, although we've heard that Steep has been having some issues, which may indicate that Anvil is an issue for the platform, or that the port was just under-resourced.

South Park (Snowdrop) - (snip!) The delay to 2018 may have given them the time to put together a Switch port, perhaps with part of the Mario+Rabbids team being assigned to handle the port after they finish up.
The Fractured But Whole is still on for October 17th of this year, as far as I can tell.

the division
67b.jpg

Dremorak

Banned
They would see really good numbers with southpark on switch, it would be the definitive version easily.

They have a few last gen games that might be easy ports too so thats cool.

I wouldnt put my money on a new game considering they will probably be fine with just leaving it at marioXrabbids for now.

I'd probably buy the Ezio Collection if it came to the Switch. I have them all on PC, but having it on a handheld would be pretty sweet, and I do really enjoy all 3 Ezio games (Revelations is a lot better than I think a lot of people give it credit for IMO).

If they are somehow able to downgrade AC: Origins to run on the Switch I might actually try that out, if only for novelties sake, haha.
I'm someone who bought and actually kinda enjoyed Splinter Cell DS, even with its terrible performance.

South Park 1 or 2 seem like pretty safe bets and I'd probably buy them on the Switch if they were available (never finished the first one on PC, but enjoyed what I had played).

Clessidor

Wondering if they might announce a new Blue Byte game like Settlers or Anno at GamesCom. Both series have been on Nintendo platforms before and would fit into Ubisoft wanting to focus more on all-age games for the Switch.
Would be nice, but just a speculation of mine.

sense

Interesting to hear. I had expected a few more games from Ubisoft than they've announced thus far, so it may be that they've just left some announcements back.

A few thoughts on some of the possibilities, in no particular order:

• South Park (Snowdrop) - On paper it seems like a good fit, as it uses Snowdrop, which we know runs well on the platform, and it shouldn't strain the hardware. However it's been long-delayed, which suggests development has been far from smooth, and I get the feeling they don't want to complicate things further by adding another platform. The delay to 2018 may have given them the time to put together a Switch port, perhaps with part of the Mario+Rabbids team being assigned to handle the port after they finish up.
  • Rainbow Six: Siege (Anvil) - As others have mentioned Ubisoft plan to keep supporting this for a few more years, so adding new platforms isn't out of the question. It should be easier to get running on Switch than their open world titles, too. As an online title, the big worry would be building up a big enough player base for the game. They could give the option of cross-play with PC as a back-up, but Switch users would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of controls.
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins (Anvil) - Would be great to see, but I doubt it. I don't think it would be impossible to run on Switch, but it would take a lot of work. If it had been in development before E3 I don't see why they wouldn't have announced it then, and if they only started post-E3 then there's no chance of them having it ready this year.
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands (Anvil) - It seems to have done quite well for Ubisoft, so they may think there'll be enough interest there for a port. Porting would require quite a lot of work, though, so I don't know if a late port would warrant that. If they could get it running on Switch it would actually be a relatively good fit for the system, as the focus on co-op would work well with the console's wireless multiplayer capabilities.
  • The Division (Snowdrop) - A somewhat more out-there scenario, but Snowdrop seems to run very well on Switch, so logically it shouldn't be that difficult to port to the console, at least compared to AC:O or Wildlands. It would suffer from the same issue as RS:Seige, though, as they may struggle to maintain a large enough player base.
  • Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection (Anvil) - This is probably a better bet than Origins, as it should be much easier to port, and would still have a lot of the wow factor of having mainline AC on a handheld.
  • The Crew 2 (Babel) - I suppose it's a possibility, and the 2018 launch would give them more time to port it over than their 2017 releases. They may have been incentivised to port it over due to the lack of other "serious" racers (well, more serious than Mario Kart). No idea what engine it uses, though.
  • Far Cry 5 (Dunia) - Ditto, but replace racer with FPS.
  • Watch Dogs 2 (Disrupt) - An outside chance for a late port, Ubisoft may see an opening for it with the lack of GTA on the system. That said, it would be a lot of work to port, and that money may be better spent bringing over a 2017 or 2018 game.
  • For Honor (Anvil) - Might see a Steep-style late port to fill out the lineup, but would again have issues with online player base. There wouldn't be as big an issue with PC cross-play, though.

For reference, we know of games in development using both Snowdrop (Mario+Rabbids, Starlink) and Anvil (Steep). Snowdrop seems to be running smoothly, although we've heard that Steep has been having some issues, which may indicate that Anvil is an issue for the platform, or that the port was just under-resourced.

I honestly don't see any of these as a possibility on switch. Mayyyyybeeee crew 2. We are most likely going to see a couple more original titles custom made for switch like Mario rabbids than the ones you listed.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I honestly don't see any of these as a possibility on switch. Mayyyyybeeee crew 2. We are most likely going to see a couple more original titles custom made for switch like Mario rabbids than the ones you listed.

Eh....porting existing games to another system that already support the engine is easier, cheaper and faste rmost of the times. You make it sounds like they can shit out a couple Mario x Rabbids exclusive type of games in a short time and just dump it on Switch. Mario x Rabbids is a big project and it took them years to get the Project rolling and finalized.

So yeah porting a game like South Park over is more likely than expecting exclusives for a system with such a low install base. Not to mention there arent much reasons to go Switch exclusive to begin with when it comes to Ubi IPs.

I think South Park is most likely. But I could definitely see ubisoft considering Division or R6 if they think no mature shooters are coming to Switch anytime soon. That could be quite and opportunity for them

nikatapi

I would love to have Assasin's Creed on Switch. After WiiU got so many games from Ubi (even Watch Dogs), Switch support seems very low. Let's hope that this will change given Switch's popularity.

jdstorm

Banned
Switch really needs a Watch Dogs 2 style game. I'd double dip in a second.

Lego city undercover?

But yeah i agree would love an open world Third person action game/TPS.

one of Ghost Recon Wildlands or Mass Effect Andromeda would have been perfect launch games

Terrell

It's funny the idea of Nintendo being family friendly only still exists. They basically dropped that half way through the snes life span and are now the most lenient company in terms of content. They practically allow anything on their platforms and it's up to the developer/publisher to take whatever fallout might occur due to content.

The only time Nintendo has content issues is if they are publishing the title in question and usually then it's just underage sex stuff because that shit don't fly outside Japan.

We can all thank the falsely-venerated Howard Lincoln for that, spending years making Nintendo the Helen Lovejoy of the games industry as often and loudly as possible, only to try and completely pivot from that when the ESRB was formed and act like they didn't make the biggest of big deals about mature content in games. We've been paying the price of this blowhard's actions ever since, 2 whole decades later.

jdstorm

Banned
We can all thank the falsely-venerated Howard Lincoln for that, spending years making Nintendo the Helen Lovejoy of the games industry as often and loudly as possible, only to try and completely pivot from that when the ESRB was formed and act like they didn't make the biggest of big deals about mature content in games. We've been paying the price of this blowhard's actions ever since, 2 whole decades later.

Insert snarky comment about how Nintendo should just buy a publisher known for making mature games and just release all their "mature" titles under that publishers name like how Disney has the Touchstone Pictures brand.

Josh5890

I know this is out of left field but I would like to see Ubisoft do a new IP with Nintendo revolving around a kart racer. Right now there are no new racing games on the horizon (unless I'm mistaken) and I think a Mid 2018 game would do great on the Switch

I know this is out of left field but I would like to see Ubisoft do a new IP with Nintendo revolving around a kart racer. Right now there are no new racing games on the horizon (unless I'm mistaken) and I think a Mid 2018 game would do great on the Switch

Don't worry Retro is making Diddy Kong Racing.

/s

EDarkness

The only time Nintendo has content issues is if they are publishing the title in question and usually then it's just underage sex stuff because that shit don't fly outside Japan.

Even then, it doesn't matter unless it's their own published stuff. As long as the game doesn't have an AO rating, it's fair game. They censor their own stuff, though, like they did with Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Josh5890

Even then, it doesn't matter unless it's their own published stuff. As long as the game doesn't have an AO rating, it's fair game. They censor their own stuff, though, like they did with Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Pretty much. And the AO rating goes for all three console kings.

Top Bottom