• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

Do you mean Girlhood In Shambles, perhaps? The track names are badly translated on Spotify (and iTunes I believe) so check that name on YouTube. Perhaps you'll find the arrangement you prefer.

Edit: holy FUCK I didn't listen to this song after playing the game somehow and GOD DAMN THIS HITS HARD
Yup. It's Girlhood In Shambles in Youtube and Steam but Husked Girlhood on iTunes. But they're the same song and different from in-game version which is a bit slower.
And yes, OST is fantastic. I haven't stopped listening to it in the past 2 weeks.
Edit: If you're wondering what's the difference in arrangements you can listen to the in-game version in concert hall.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Some of the songs are in Portuguese, at least that's what I read.

Amazing soundtrack!

The primary female vocalist, Gao, studied at university overseas in Brazil.

Edit: Note to self — Read the entire thread before you post.

Sapientas

I think your interpretation of this "twist" is incorrect. See above post for clarification.
I also was thinking this merchant that got slaughtered had some connection at first, but in the end, was just nothing more than a stepping stone in the story.

I'm gonna copy/paste my interpretation from another forum:

You can see from the CG in the scene afterwards (https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....333/4F3D6CC8BDA23CFFFF4FE8F495623D5F2A958817/) that the merchant murdered by Bestia is an entirely different person. This "incredibly similar" merchant you are talking about is never visually shown to the player outside of this CG; the only characters that have a portrait in the early parts of Door 2 are the Maid and Yukimasa/Bestia. You probably mistook the Yukimasa sprite that briefly appeared onscreen as the merchant he later murdered, which is exactly what the VN wanted you to think. It's a clever red herring as well as subtle foreshadowing/characterization for Bestia that can only be done in a VN.

His human sprite (Yukimasa) briefly shows up due to him seeing a fellow human being (the merchant) for the first time since he was exiled from the village, causing his dormant memories of his human self to resurface. He even wears a troubled/confused expression here: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....985/47CB1CC2B1FE7CF331FA083A78E499AED47CB1AD/

That is quickly suppressed as he reverts back to the Bestia sprite immediately afterwards: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....333/E289E97C82EB89709C8DCD25699824F61D5F9732/

This constant rejection of his own humanity is a prevailing theme throughout the rest of the tale, which you got a glimpse of here without even realizing.

Oh, that's way better. I still don't care much for the plot of that door, but that's still an interesting play there.

Oh wow. Had no clue about some of the songs. I knew I didn't understand the language, but couldn't put a finger on what language they were singing in.

It's weird, I'm Brazilian and I had to check on the lyrics to finally realize it was sung in Portuguese. Most of it doesn't really make much sense haha.

Kalor

I finished it earlier and I'm going to need some time to process all for. I really enjoyed the whole game and it wrapped everything up way better than I was expecting it to. Granted I need some time to reflect on it but I think it's one of my favourite visual novels now.

End Game:
I thought that the pacing was off during Michels chapter, which made that whole segment feel like it was dragging but the final chapter more than made up for that. The only weak aspect of that chapter was the Swordmans backstory segment but that was mainly because it wasn't as interesting as the other two men. I really enjoyed Michel having to figure out how to approach the various men and get the keys from them, mostly since it was completely different from the previous doors. Morgana ended up growing on me during the last half of the game, so I'm curious abour Requiem for Innocence, even if I don't think theres much to gain from revisiting those events in more detail.

I thought they were going to end with Giselle arriving the mansion so it was nice to see them reunite.

Yousefb

I just finished door 4. That was incredible!
I went through all the diiferent endings, purposefully leaving the "reclaim yourself" option as the last. Looking forward to diving into the next part!

But can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on with these posts regarding door 4?
There was extra text in the backlog?
Door 4:
I've discovered the insanity that is the back log and the crazy extra text found within. I'm a bit unnerved by all the missing text and weird extra, dialogue.
Finished door 4:
Absolutely fantastic, I felt the story felt far too fantastical compared to what we saw before, the maid never present, the mad rumblings inside the backlog... It was all so excellent done and the climax to the story, positioning you as the white haired girl but then rejecting the claims, the music as you tried to bring sense back to Giselle, I couldn't stop until the next chapter began. This is such a well crafted story.

Me through all of door 4.
I think a screenshot every dialogue in the backlog that was added, just incase I might need it later to rejog my memory.

I just finished door 4. That was incredible!
I went through all the diiferent endings, purposefully leaving the "reclaim yourself" option as the last. Looking forward to diving into the next part!

But can someone please explain to me what the hell is going on with these posts regarding door 4?
There was extra text in the backlog?
in the 4th door, the text in the backlog is modified at points and some new text is even added.
Their significance becomes clear later in the story.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I remember when this whole thing started and people mentioned the only realistic path to victory was LRG. I remember thinking, "How could an indie, niche publisher possibly fund a localization of a game that only a handful of people played?" Wow.

Also how could August do anywhere near a realistic date to localize all of that content?

Ephidel

Pretty sure the August date is talking about something else and then they just tacked the Fata Morgana comment on the end of it.

I imagine they're hoping for/negotiating for the use of the Mangagamer translation for most of the game though. That way the only "additional" localisation that will be needed is for the extra scenario (and menus and stuff. And coding it all in).

SOLDIER

Got this from the summer sale, and I was wondering if there were keyboard shortcuts for saving and loading.

I'm trying to customize my PS4 controller for the game, but I'm having a few hiccups. Specifically, I'm trying to have the X button advance the text, but that button is defaulted to hiding the text window, so I've got occasions where it'll hide the text and advance it at the same time.

At the moment I've got left mouse click mapped to R1, which isn't a really big deal, but I'm still wondering if I can get the controller setup the way I want it.

Also, I assume there's no way to increase the resolution (which is usually the case for VNs)?

Got this from the summer sale, and I was wondering if there were keyboard shortcuts for saving and loading.

I'm trying to customize my PS4 controller for the game, but I'm having a few hiccups. Specifically, I'm trying to have the X button advance the text, but that button is defaulted to hiding the text window, so I've got occasions where it'll hide the text and advance it at the same time.

At the moment I've got left mouse click mapped to R1, which isn't a really big deal, but I'm still wondering if I can get the controller setup the way I want it.

Also, I assume there's no way to increase the resolution (which is usually the case for VNs)?
How are you customizing the controls for a DS4?

Try F7/F8. Not sure if it'll work. No resolution increase possible, I'm afraid.

Edit: The Vita release is definitely at least 5-6 months off, and that's if they wait for MG to finish translating A Requiem For Innocence

SOLDIER

How are you customizing the controls for a DS4?

Try F7/F8. Not sure if it'll work. No resolution increase possible, I'm afraid.

On Steam Big Picture you can create separate profiles for games, even those without controller support.

Only thing I can't figure out is if you can keep a button from performing its default action. Since the DS4 is treated as a Steam Controller in House's case, it already defaults some actions to the buttons.

On Steam Big Picture you can create separate profiles for games, even those without controller support.

Only thing I can't figure out is if you can keep a button from performing its default action. Since the DS4 is treated as a Steam Controller in House's case, it already defaults some actions to the buttons.

oooooh right, Big Picture.

Go to Steam Controller Settings -> enable DualShock4 Configuration

This lets you bind keys of the controller as if it were a Steam Controller. I use it for VNs, myself (albeit with a Logitech F710).

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Guys. At this point we need to downplay the game.

I will choke everyone in my general vicinity if LRG actually publishes this game and I miss out on a copy because it sells out in 2 minutes or whatever.

I'm only half-joking.
Which half, the downplaying or the choking? :O

Aokage

Guys. At this point we need to downplay the game.

I will choke everyone in my general vicinity if LRG actually publishes this game and I miss out on a copy because it sells out in 2 minutes or whatever.

I'm only half-joking.
Which half, the downplaying or the choking? :O

As it would be an entirely original product to LRG, I imagine they would also distribute it digitally as Mighty Rabbit or another entity in their purview.

Aki-at

I rarely double dip but for a game with such quality writing I can't wait. Probably can get a few people to try this game out with a Vita copy.

So I just finished Chapter 2 and though it was sometimes a drag, the intenseness of the ending was so nice. I only managed to guess the reveal
after the second beast appeared because of how it was explicitly shown that the beast kills the merchant at the beginning. Though this unreliable narrator format at least got the better of me. I liked Javi though wonder if he was killed.

sonicmj1

I finished Cursed Manor a while back, where I really felt like the story was coming into its own. I kept meaning to write something about it, but I never quite got around to doing it.

Now that I just finished the following chapter,
The Maid's Tale
, as well as Salvage following it... wow. I'm not sure where to even begin. I really had no idea just how brave this tale was.

I don't think I'm going to post more impressions until whenever it is I finish this, because I feel like anything I write before won't be coherent or meaningful.

Aokage

I DIDN'T KNOW THIS EXISTED

FUCK, MAN.. FUCK

The public didn't know it existed until yesterday.

There's one other product from this batch y'all will probably want that hasn't been announced yet, also international order friendly.

You know how the Vita version had a whole bunch of new music? Yeahhhh

The public didn't know it existed until yesterday.

There's one other product from this batch y'all will probably want that hasn't been announced yet, also international order friendly.

;_;

I'm both ecstatic and despairing

Someone, if you get them, post pics

Wichu

So... uhhh... rough timescale on when we can expect to see an official announcement?

Aokage

So... uhhh... rough timescale on when we can expect to see an official announcement?

Novectacle still has to work out the final details of buying back the music that they wrote, recorded and produced from HuneX because HuneX paid for studio time. Long story, but they'll get it. The hope was to get it to coincide with The Art.

Edit: Oh, you mean a Western version of Fata? Ha ha, I'm sorry, I thought you meant the soundtrack CD to the new Vita scenario.

You can expect an official announcement this year.

welp, hope it comes to amazon.co.jp because this website doesn't ship outisde japan

As the site itself suggests, use Tenso.com our Buyee. It's a dojin item, when it does appear on amazon.co.jp it'll be scalpers.

Wichu

Novectacle still has to work out the final details of buying back the music that they wrote, recorded and produced from HuneX because HuneX paid for studio time. Long story, but they'll get it. The hope was to get it to coincide with The Art.

Edit: Oh, you mean a Western version of Fata? Ha ha, I'm sorry, I thought you meant the soundtrack CD to the new Vita scenario..

You were right the first time :p I'll probably just preorder the artbook now, then grab the soundtrack later.

Just starting the Final Door. This is one of the best stories I read in a while!!! I loved the way they handled Chapter 5 and Chapter 7 which could've gone a lot worse.

I am not emotional enough to cry (I rarely cry) but I laugh when I am supposed to laugh. Feel happiness together with the characters. Feel anger when needed. Feel despair when shit hits the fan. I love this game so much. Definitely better than the Zero Escape trilogy.

You're so fucked. I envy you.

Game's
25-30
hours long I believe, if that's even a spoiler.

The first Door is easily the weakest.

Oh, no. It can't get even worse than this?

Door 2 was an incredible story. Very disturbing,
I felt uneasy the whole time. The Pauline death scene, and the ship scene right after were so chilling. The ending was terrible though. Felt very abrupt, forced, and rushed. It could've been much more emotional, and the music that was used felt hilariously out of place. It stands out because the last couple of scenes revelations, and music were so good.

Oh, no. It can't get even worse than this?

Door 2 was an incredible story. Very disturbing,
I felt uneasy the whole time. The Pauline death scene, and the ship scene right after were so chilling. The ending was terrible though. Felt very abrupt, forced, and rushed. It could've been much more emotional, and the music that was used felt hilariously out of place. It stands out because the last couple of scenes revelations, and music were so good.

If you thought Door 2 was something, you're in for a treat with the next one.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Fun questions, but the Vita mentions literally amounts to:
BB: With the increasing popularity of visual novels such as Zero Escape and the Danganronpa series on consoles, will the Vita version ever see the light of day in the West?

BDH: I certainly hope so!

rito: Vita Means Life. Never say never!

Just finished the game. The ending felt so good!! Definitely one of the best sotries I've ever read!!

Chapter 4 to 7 was the best in the game for me in terms of story and character development. Chapter 8 felt more like an epilogue or a promise of the endgame to close things off but it was definitely draggy. When chapter 8 opened I was reminded of the epilogue for VLR where the main purpose of the whole setups for chapters 1 to 7 is all about finishing things through. It's a good thing that this did not happen in a separate game.

Loved Michel and Giselle's characters so much. By the time they were so lovey dovey in chapter 8, I was so invested in them that I don't care that the sombreness that pervaded the first 7 chapters were gone. They waited their whole deaths for a long time to be together and I was so happy they found each other.

I also loved that Maria, a character I loved to hate in chapter 3 is a good person without the curse affecting her. Nellie and Paulene's characters being so similar to their future selves made me wary of Maria the whole time in chapter 8. It's a good thing that they subverted my expectations.

I can emphatize with Jacopo even though he is a terrible person with good intentions and it kinda made me feel bad for him that Morgana (understandably) rejected him through and through. His flaws however as a character and his motolivations made the tragedy in both his lives all the more real and made me relate to him in some way. He deserves every bit of sass Morgana gives him in the backstage though. I hope his future life gets him a bit more happiness though.

The Bollinger brothers bit is well done for me. I just hoped that Georges could've stayed longer with Michel and Morgana as they were great together. Didier was menacing and was treated as sort of the final boss. I liked it because he was also the one who killed Michel before and Michel had to overcome him.

In the end, Michel and Morgana are two outcomes on what would happen to a person who lived tragic lives but had one special moment to sabe them or not. I loved the way they played off the fact that Michel is an angel born into this world while Morgana is the child of god who had been betrayed by everything they loved or cared for so much. While Morgana loved for the ideal that she was a Saint all throughout her life but becoming a Witch driven by revenge, the angelic Michel who the world seemed to hate through and through but refused to return the hate the world gave him is all but beautifull and saintly. If it were me I would've cursed Aimee given the chance. It's a wonder Aimee or Javi were nor pulled in the Mansion.

The ending is beautiful. Also was Morgana reborn in the world as a butterfly?

Was Javi the man who bumped into Paulene and Maria? Also is the art with Michel wearing Knight armor and holding a sword promo art?

emag

I finished the second chapter (cellar) earlier today and am unsure whether I should continue. The game's writing is abysmal (though the translation may be partly to blame) and the stories are mediocre fables/fairy tales stretched and padded beyond measure. I've also had all of two decisions in 3+ hours of "gameplay", both of which feel vague and inconsequential.

Are the remaining chapters a vast improvement on the first two, or is this game just not for me?

Loz246789

I finished the second chapter (cellar) earlier today and am unsure whether I should continue. The game's writing is abysmal (though the translation may be partly to blame) and the stories are mediocre fables/fairy tales stretched and padded beyond measure. I've also had all of two decisions in 3+ hours of "gameplay", both of which feel vague and inconsequential.

Are the remaining chapters a vast improvement on the first two, or is this game just not for me?

Well uh, a few things before I give a verdict here:
The plot does eventually change it up. Although I'd say if you're dismissing the stories so far as fairy tales/fables, even what the plot eventually becomes may be still have that vibe? (I honestly don't know what you're on about, but the game is tonally consistent for the most part. Also, for what it's worth, the game's not telling you these stories for no reason.)

Also, it's a visual novel, not a traditional game or even an ace attorney scenario, forget any pre-conceptions about playing anything. There are more choices more frequently later that are a bit more meaningful, but they're a means to an end to tell the story, rather than being there to be fun and engaging. It's a book with a bigger budget, that allows for a soundtrack and art assets. That's the package, basically.

If you feel like you've been just approaching this in the wrong frame of mind, then I'd say to try chapter 3? It's a little bit different from the previous two chapters in a few subtle ways, so you might latch onto something of substance there that allows you to get through the novel, and the quality does generally trend upwards as you go through. But it's not like a 1/10 to a 10/10 difference, so if you hated doors 1 and 2 in their entirety and found nothing enjoyable about them at all, it might not be for you.

Top Bottom