• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

ryseing

Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

:)

In all seriousness I am having a great time, both with the VR and 2D versions. Having a few issues because of my lack of space but when you pull off that sick John Woo shit there's no feeling like it.

darkwing

oh man, looks like Superhot needs the same play area as Job Simulator, I guess I have to stick the camera to the wall for maximum space lol

MattAces

Seriously if you've always wanted to look down a scope and pop enemies head, Arizona Sunshine is the best thing now. Playing with the first rifle now with holo-sight is so damn satisfying.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Seriously if you've always wanted to look down a scope and pop enemies head, Arizona Sunshine is the best thing now. Playing with the first rifle now with holo-sight is so damn satisfying.
For real. I can't remember the last time I played through a game after beating it.

This is one of the great updates of the generation, in my opinion.

So Arizona Sunshine is good? Havent been following it since release, but I know the impressions here at least initially werent the greatest. If its good, Id love to pick it up!

Also, SUPERHOT is amazing! Hard, but amazing!

Chairhome

I am loving Superhot VR.
Is there a way to calibrate better? I'm having that problem where I can't reach certain things cause the floor is too low.

Horseticuffs

So Arizona Sunshine is good? Havent been following it since release, but I know the impressions here at least initially werent the greatest. If its good, Id love to pick it up!

Also, SUPERHOT is amazing! Hard, but amazing!
I was halfway through it, disappointed as hell from all the hype I'd heard, when I got an Aim. It was a terrific zombie-killing power fantasy back then in spite of it's best efforts to be shit.

Now, with the update, it's a rollicking good time. In some weird, dirty way I acknowledge is wrong I actually enjoyed it more than the excellent Farpoint.

Tracking is legit, the new ironsights system is on-point, and you're popping heads left, right, and center.

I am loving Superhot VR.
Is there a way to calibrate better? I'm having that problem where I can't reach certain things cause the floor is too low.

Have the camera about 1.5 meters to 2 meters away high up facing slightly down. if you can't do that when grabbing stuff on the ground if you point your hand to what you want and look at the item it will highlight and can pick it up by pressing the trigger as it will jump from wherever it is.

I want to try the camera in the corner of the room near the ceiling to see how tracking works with that but the cable is far too short to do it.

Kyolux

Now I'm tempted to grab AS and stop waiting for a sale. Thanks guys. Real helpful!!

my wallet :(

But I'm looking at how much I'm spending on Tuesday with all those other VR games coming out.

And I was somewhat interested in infinite golf, but what the hell, is the only mode in the game the one that lets you "drive" your ball to the hole? Or at least that's what it looked like on the trailers on Steam.

MattAces

Now I'm tempted to grab AS and stop waiting for a sale. Thanks guys. Real helpful!!

my wallet :(

But I'm looking at how much I'm spending on Tuesday with all those other VR games coming out.

And I was somewhat interested in infinite golf, but what the hell, is the only mode in the game the one that lets you "drive" your ball to the hole? Or at least that's what it looked like on the trailers on Steam.

EDIT: nevermind, misunderstood what you meant, rewatching the trailer now, yea, that's weird.
Looks like it's just one of the mode/powerup, a lot of gameplay are showing normal minigolf putting.

I'm more concern on the maps layout, it looks pretty flat with a few obstacle so far, hopefully there's a lot of crazy stuff going on.

Kyolux

EDIT: nevermind, misunderstood what you meant, rewatching the trailer now, yea, that's weird.
Looks like it's just one of the mode/powerup, a lot of gameplay are showing normal minigolf putting.

I'm more concern on the maps layout, it looks pretty flat with a few obstacle so far, hopefully there's a lot of crazy stuff going on.

Guess we'll see. For now I bought Arizona since my friend is coming over and

Also.. am I the only one that can't stop saying SUPER HOT out loud like in the game?

tr00per

I am loving Superhot VR.

For anyone having problems like this (can't touch the floor) , use the "confirm your position" option in the quick memu under Playstation VR. Crouch down without the headset on and see if the camera can see your hands (you might want to see if it can see your hands when you're standing up with your arms above your head as well if you're playing a game where things are above you) if not, adjust the camera.

Keep in mind the camera doesn't have to be facing the same direction as your tv (in fact it could cause tracking issues via reflection) and there are extension cables available

MattAces

So supposedly that GameStop pre-order guide is coming out tomorrow(?) suggesting those 6 games are available to pre-order. I don't think we got any info previously on release date for No Heroes Allowed! VR but that booklet is saying 2017 release.
Kind of weird for VRFocus to suddenly point this out? As if they just got an instruction to advertise you can pre-order it now.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/07/no-heroes-allowed-vr-confirmed-for-2017-release/
Now retailers have begun their pre-order campaigns for the videogame in anticipation of a release later this year.

Also we can at least confirm the book is indeed from EU. I will say the book is very very real. Whether it's SKU error, which would be extremely weird for 3 major retailer to mess it up, or it's really coming.
6F3UaMi.png

Zampano

Super Hot is amazing but the pixelation is gross, even on the pro. Hope they can improve that. Going to move furniture tomorrow to have a proper session.

MattAces

Super Hot is amazing but the pixelation is gross, even on the pro. Hope they can improve that. Going to move furniture tomorrow to have a proper session.

I highly doubt there will be any more improvement honestly. They said it in the AMA, Unity engine multi threading problem + PS4 Pro CPU doesn't work well together. Every red shards exploding has its own physic and if they want to improve any more of those graphic, they will have to rework pretty much the entire game.
The campaign mode works well, maybe they can increase resolution even further but if you've tried endless mode, holy shit the framerate goes to hell when you have 20+ kills. Plus the current endless mode is running at a much lower resolution than the campaign mode, it's like 140p right now. Still EXTREMELY fun though, played the endless mode for 2 hours + today.

My quick review of Superhot VR:

Fun when it is working, some of the most frustrating gameplay when it isn't. I don't understand why sometimes I start RIGHT on top of a weapon and other times I have to reach 5 feet from where I am. Why does it not always place you in the exact same place? It is really dumb. Also, picking stuff up that is below your knee cap is pretty much impossible.

MattAces

My quick review of Superhot VR:

Fun when it is working, some of the most frustrating gameplay when it isn't. I don't understand why sometimes I start RIGHT on top of a weapon and other times I have to reach 5 feet from where I am. Why does it not always place you in the exact same place? It is really dumb. Also, picking stuff up that is below your knee cap is pretty much impossible.

The game recenters every round.
As for picking stuff up, set your camera high up (head level or even higher) pointing down, stand far away and you can pick up everything without any problem.

The game recenters every round.
As for picking stuff up, set your camera high up (head level or even higher) pointing down, stand far away and you can pick up everything without any problem.

I have done all of that. I have rearranged my setup a million times to try and fix these trash tracking issues, but nothing works so far. Really frustrating.

Another frustrating thing is the lack of a level select. Or ANY options or anything. Sometimes I recalibrate and my hands are 20 feet away. Great system they got there. Really fun being stuck on a level because I am expected to pick stuff up at my feet but I can't, so now I am forever stuck on this dumb level with no way to play the game and enjoy it back when I didn't have to deal with the tracking below the knees stuff.

I have done all of that. I have rearranged my setup a million times to try and fix these trash tracking issues, but nothing works so far. Really frustrating.

Another frustrating thing is the lack of a level select. Or ANY options or anything. Sometimes I recalibrate and my hands are 20 feet away. Great system they got there. Really fun being stuck on a level because I am expected to pick stuff up at my feet but I can't, so now I am forever stuck on this dumb level with no way to play the game and enjoy it back when I didn't have to deal with the tracking below the knees stuff.

Level select is there. You just put in the Superhot floppy, put the headset on then choose. However you need to complete it first.

You can complete almost everything just using your fists and the power you don't have to use the weapons. Plus you don't actually need to put your hand below your knees to pick up whats on the ground.

Can't say I have had problems with respawning. I don't really get many problems with PSVR in general though.

Farpoint bundle arrived this afternoon.

Had some weird problem getting the Aim controller to pair with the PS4, but a reboot fixed it.
Enjoying Farpoint so far, one very minor criticism is that there didn't seem to be a prompt to tell you about the rotation options. I played for a few minutes thinking that either the right stick on my Aim was broken or that the game only let you turn by rotating your head, then I found the smooth turning option in the pause menu and now it plays like a proper FPS.

The weapon tracking is very immersive. Loving the holographic sights.

MattAces

Farpoint bundle arrived this afternoon.

Had some weird problem getting the Aim controller to pair with the PS4, but a reboot fixed it.
Enjoying Farpoint so far, one very minor criticism is that there didn't seem to be a prompt to tell you about the rotation options. I played for a few minutes thinking that either the right stick on my Aim was broken or that the game only let you turn by rotating your head, then I found the smooth turning option in the pause menu and now it plays like a proper FPS.

The weapon tracking is very immersive. Loving the holographic sights.

Dude, Arizona Sunshine.

After AS and Farpoint, every game using Aim should just add Holographic sight and stop trying to use iron sight. I don't want to spend 5 secs trying to look down a tiny hole.

Dude, Arizona Sunshine.

After AS and Farpoint, every game using Aim should just add Holographic sight and stop trying to use iron sight. I don't want to spend 5 secs trying to look down a tiny hole.

I'm keen to try Arizona, but it's £33 at the moment, so I'm tempted to wait for a sale.

Still need to finish Statik (such a great game) and put more time into Polybius. I should really get round to finishing RE7, too.

I'm just constantly adding to my backlog of VR and non-VR games. I need to knuckle down and finish some.

Superhot seems like a ton of fun so far, but I can't get the throwing to work even a little bit. If I move fast it seems like the motion cuts out, if I move slow the weapon just floats down.

Superhot seems like a ton of fun so far, but I can't get the throwing to work even a little bit. If I move fast it seems like the motion cuts out, if I move slow the weapon just floats down.

Grab the item, press and hold move button, "push" item toward target and release move button at end of throw. Took me a while to get the hang of that, pushing and holding movenis key, release on "throw".

Grab the item, press and hold move button, "push" item toward target and release move button at end of throw. Took me a while to get the hang of that, pushing and holding movenis key, release on "throw".

Oh, so holding the button charges the throw? Man, thats probably what was tripping me up.

I'll give that a shot.

Planet

To anyone looking forward to Apollo 11 VR: don't expect much! I reviewed it for a German video games site, and can not recommend it. Not much content, and most is rather bland.

But I think they might have learned the right lessons and their next project, Titanic VR, looks much more promising. I backed that on Kickstarter.

ckohler

To anyone looking forward to Apollo 11 VR: don't expect much! I reviewed it for a German video games site, and can not recommend it. Not much content, and most is rather bland.

But I think they might have learned the right lessons and their next project, Titanic VR, looks much more promising. I backed that on Kickstarter.
In kinda looking forward to Apollo 11 but have tempered my expectations. Can you give any details? How long is it? How many areas? Etc.

ryseing

As someone who has a limited amount of space, any advice on the
"Any Last Words?"
bit in Superhot? I can occasionally
dodge the bullets,
but it isn't consistent, which sucks as I'm still trying to nail the parts afterwards.

Planet

There's less than ten sequences, most don't have any interaction or just very little. The longest and by far most interactive one being you "exploring" the moon landing site. But you will have seen and heard everything in a bit over an hour.

The best part is the overall atmosphere by a five selection of music and historical recordings of radio communication and a famous TV clip. Graphics vary from acceptable to rough. If you want to know more, you might check this article translated by Google or something.

In kinda looking forward to Apollo 11 but have tempered my expectations. Can you give any details? How long is it? How many areas? Etc.

About 45 minutes for the passive "playthrough", the active one can make you repeat stuff if you fail at certain things but that doesn't really extend the content.
It's a condensed presentation of the Apollo 11 mission, you don't really do much of anything except for looking around, it's not a game. The beginning has you inside a 60's living room with a Kennedy speech on the tv, that's a bit long and unneccessary having that in it's entirety in there. The rest is accompanying the astronauts on their mission.

Polybius...

ok, how can i say this... the game made me absolutely lose my shit TWICE in less than 40min.

im not very good (reflexes of a 35 yo), but i got pretty far on my third try, then had to pause. i look at the pause screen carefully to make sure i press the right button to get back in the level, it says "press r1 to return to title screen" or sth, i think ok whatever i do dont press r1, so maybe i'll press circle to return to the game like in a lot of games. NOPE, that also quits the game without warning. lost all my progress and i curse the game to hell. FUCK. HOW? WHY?

i breathe deep, its ok, its just a game, i'll try again.. i start from beginning and test the pause screen again, this time circle DOESNT quit the game. WTF? wow, what fucking bullshit. but ok, i forgive and forget. several levels later while i'm really in the zone, i start losing my shields one by one to something i cant see, is it coming from behind me?? i dont know, certainly feels that way because nothing from the front is hitting me, it isnt even hectic at all, i can clearly see ahead. but i lose my shield, and again, and again, and again, and again.. 7 times. and im dead, i couldnt do anything to stop it. FUCKING KSKDKDKASSDFFG

i seriously dont want to even boot the game up again because im sure there's more sadistic non-sensical ways it wants to punish the player at the worst fucking moments.

1/10 game so far. triggered me 10/10 though.

"Any Last Words?"
dodge the bullets,
but it isn't consistent, which sucks as I'm still trying to nail the parts afterwards.

slow mo duck or neo it then let the guy on the right shoot the grab thing for you by positioning yourself between it and him.

I love the trophy notifications on Superhot, I think it's the only psvr game that has them. If you've not seen them, a post it note drops down the screen that you can grab and read then throw away.

Daezuel

I love the trophy notifications on Superhot, I think it's the only psvr game that has them. If you've not seen them, a post it note drops down the screen that you can grab and read then throw away.

So that's what happened last time I died! Grabbed my trophy notification instead of a gun!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't have enough space for Superhot. Oh well.
Maybe I'll bring my PSVR out to the garage for a day when it gets cooler.

Horseticuffs

Polybius...

ok, how can i say this... the game made me absolutely lose my shit TWICE in less than 40min.

im not very good (reflexes of a 35 yo), but i got pretty far on my third try, then had to pause. i look at the pause screen carefully to make sure i press the right button to get back in the level, it says "press r1 to return to title screen" or sth, i think ok whatever i do dont press r1, so maybe i'll press circle to return to the game like in a lot of games. NOPE, that also quits the game without warning. lost all my progress and i curse the game to hell. FUCK. HOW? WHY?

i breathe deep, its ok, its just a game, i'll try again.. i start from beginning and test the pause screen again, this time circle DOESNT quit the game. WTF? wow, what fucking bullshit. but ok, i forgive and forget. several levels later while i'm really in the zone, i start losing my shields one by one to something i cant see, is it coming from behind me?? i dont know, certainly feels that way because nothing from the front is hitting me, it isnt even hectic at all, i can clearly see ahead. but i lose my shield, and again, and again, and again, and again.. 7 times. and im dead, i couldnt do anything to stop it. FUCKING KSKDKDKASSDFFG

i seriously dont want to even boot the game up again because im sure there's more sadistic non-sensical ways it wants to punish the player at the worst fucking moments.

1/10 game so far. triggered me 10/10 though.
Lol the game is an experience, for sure. I'm about to turn 38 and it is a bit of an adventure. These young bucks don't know that struggle, yet.

Anyways, the level that was killing you invisibly, was it level
9?

If so I had the same issue until I
started going on the side of the flag pole that the flag was waving on.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out the logic to that puzzle until I looked it up.

So supposedly that GameStop pre-order guide is coming out tomorrow(?) suggesting those 6 games are available to pre-order. I don't think we got any info previously on release date for No Heroes Allowed! VR but that booklet is saying 2017 release.
Kind of weird for VRFocus to suddenly point this out? As if they just got an instruction to advertise you can pre-order it now.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/07/no-heroes-allowed-vr-confirmed-for-2017-release/

Also we can at least confirm the book is indeed from EU. I will say the book is very very real. Whether it's SKU error, which would be extremely weird for 3 major retailer to mess it up, or it's really coming.
6F3UaMi.png

Actually ever since reveal No More Heroes Allowed VR was set to be released Fall 2017 both in Japan and Western. Even on the playstation site for upcoming games No More Heroes Allowed VR says 2017.

Skittles

"Any Last Words?"
dodge the bullets,
Wait until one fires and then move to the right. Also, funfact: each of your hands can block one bullet.

Some of the trophies seem straight up impossible in superhot with the level of tracking psvr has.

what kind of space do I need for Superhot? and does it work with the AIM controller?
You need a good amount of space to move your arms in all directions and you'll find yourself moving around to catch that falling weapon a fraction of a second quicker. I've managed to punch a wall with this game that I've never been close to before. It's move only, no aim support as you need both hands to grab stuff.

Top Bottom