• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with atmosphere so pretty, you stop playing and just take it all in.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What games DON'T have atmosphere that I lose myself in is the better question. I honestly take forever to get through nearly every game I play because I admire the art direction or the sound or the atmosphere whenever I can. Currently playing Breath of the Wild and after 20 hours I've fast traveled maybe four times. Same thing with Horizon before that, both games taking me forever to get through because I stop and stare at the pretty images.

But it's my personality quirk; I'm like that in real life, too. If driving somewhere, I almost always opt for the longer, slower scenic route.

tootie923

Alan Wake. When you get to play in a daily segment, it's almost granted that you wil spend some time looking around and rotating the camera. The lake, the mountains...

I'm not sure if I want to put Firewatch here, as half of the "game" is about enjoying the scenery.

Probably in my top five favorite game settings.

storsuccepc_alan_334741b.png

ToiJu

Some shots from the moments I just had to stop and snap a shot.

Fallout 4
fallout4_2015110918407trle.png

Horizon: Zero Dawn
horizonzerodawn_20170mhqxv.png

Uncharted 4
uncharted4_athiefsendg6o2s.png

Unravel
unravel_2016022318315qar10.png

The Order: 1886
theorder_1886_2015022fiuhp.jpg

theorder_1886_201502248udu.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
All the primes. Series is wоven of atmosphere.

I never fast travel in The Witcher 3 and must have taken more than 300 screenshots already. Game is so pretty and atmospheric it's unreal. Especially during sunrise and sunset the colour palette becomes bloody amazing.

DylanEno

Lord of the rings online

Seeing Tolkien's Middle-earth realized in such a perfect way has me lost in its beauty every single time I revisit it.

ozfunghi

Metroid Prime (Phendrana Drifts comes to mind)
Every Zelda since GCN has had its moments
Xenoblade Chronicles & XCX (even if the latter game sucks)
I remember doing it with ME3 as well at times, as well as Assassins Creed 3 (first one i played.... i know).
Ohh, and yeah, Pikmin 3

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I also like to include NieR Automata. It might not have the best graphics technically but to me it has great art direction and atmosphere.

NA_Jun232016_14.jpg

3167411-niera_trailer_still_4.jpg

ss-123.jpg

830606.jpg

Dunan

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, arriving at the upper floors of Tai Yong Medical and looking out at Upper Hengsha. Had to just stop and admire the view:

upperhengsha_full.jpg

And the developers had even created this area... but had to cut it because of budget constraints. Would love to finally go there some day.

Monocle

I did this a lot in The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, the Halo series, Shadow of the Collosus, Xenoblade, and most recently The Witcher 3.

Also, as I'm just now discovering, Destiny has some jaw droppingly gorgeous scenery in the expansions. It's wild how much Bungie improved on almost every aspect of the base game.

evolve9

Team Ico games first spring to mind. I've spent an obscene amount of time just chilling around in those games and admiring basically everything.

Another example for me is the Ash Lake from Dark Souls 1. God, when I first entered that place and that music started playing, I just stood there and watched in awe all of the trees in the distance. The place really makes you appreciate the scale of it all. That's why it's probably one of my favorite places in Souls games despite being a straight corridor to a covenant lol.

Top Bottom