• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life launches March 20 in the Americas and Europe

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Geez, how good does that look? I'm surprised that this is the first game built from the ground up and not Zero. Still, not complaining though, looks fantastic!

Desmond

That looks so good. Wonder if I should double dip for that and Kiwamis steel book. It's not like I'm gonna play them though.

_Ryo_

Wow. Deep Silver really goes all out on retail releases. This has an amazing collectors edition.

Edit: nvm. Seems Sega is still the publisher in the US.

Still fucking awesome tho.

I'll buy it at launch, but won't play it until Sega rereleases Yakuza 2 through 5 for PS4 (or PS5). I haven't played these, and I want to play these games in order.

Wow. Deep Silver really goes all out on retail releases. This has an amazing collectors edition.

Edit: nvm. Seems Sega is still the publisher in the US.

Still fucking awesome tho.
This is the Atlus influence. Expect most of Sega's Japanese output to include extras like this now. Atlus has been doing this for years and it's worked out for them. They even get to charge more for 3DS games doing it.

Djostikk

This is amazing, can't wait for this and Kiwami late this month. One thing worries is me: I can't play other titles since I don't own PS3. Is it okay just to watch Yakuza 2-5 on youtube? I'm not sure how it's gonna work out though.

Kane1345

Or Ishii, dude with regular clothes looks just like a Yakuza.

You're right

3e49fd21c204819526891a10d5c66a17b38f848c_hq.jpg

Nak looks like a crazy yakuza hitman here xD

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Well atleast I know it's coming

Loved 0, got kiwami pre ordered. Just waiting on Yakuza 2 remake and hopefully a 3,4,5 collection before I play 6.

That's the dream anyway

I need to track down a copy of Yakuza 2 and finish it before then so I can have that full story. It will be fitting considering that Yakuza 6 is supposed to be the end of Kiryu's story.

Peroroncino

I want those fucking glasses. I'll drink whisky in them and beat the living shit out of punks in Kamurocho, it's gonna be GLORIOUS.

Guess I'll have to watch the story of yakuza 2 through 5 on YouTube or something because I don't want to be lost.

Some Yakuza games [e.g. 3] have handy retrospect videos, I'd suggest trying to look for them. Luckily Yakuza games are mostly self contained so after playing Kiwami I'd say you'll be good to go, you'll be missing maybe 1 or 2 things but that can easily be remedied by watching some retrospective of Y5.

Raw64life

Those bar glasses actually look like something I'd want. I didn't even look at it when I first clicked on this thread because I normally never get collector's editions of anything.

Artbook? Hardcover?? For the price of a regular game?! Just give me the pre-order link Sega

Really looking forward to Kiwami after loving 0. I can't believe I slept on this series for so long...

convo

The OT title will need to at least include "..like a butterfly" somewhere in there to be worthy of the legend that is Kiryu.

TB12

Banned
Great more yakuza plzzz :) next week kiwawi, next year part 6!

One of the best game series ever, 10 years ago i pickup part 1, and it stil going strong!
To bad we never got Yakuza Kenzan spin off...

IMG_20170818_150221.jpg

BTA

...I've still only played 1, but I'm probably getting that special edition if I can.

Next year's gonna have a lot of Yakuza in it for me.

convo

It's rad that we're getting this and also a new Yakuza game announcement at basically the same time Kiwami comes out here in the west. I can almost feel like maybe the new game might even be announced for the west at the same time if Yakuza actually mattered here, but at least we're starting to make a dent.

Great more yakuza plzzz :) next week kiwawi, next year part 6!

One of the best game series ever, 10 years ago i pickup part 1, and it stil going strong!
To bad we never got Yakuza Kenzan spin off...
Awesome collection! And we never got Ishin either :(

But just in case you didn't know, there's an awesome translated guide available on khhsubs.com for both games. If you're willing to put up with playing the game through a guide, then this is the way to do it. Importing a copy shouldn't be too much of a hassle if even me in Pakistan could pull it off.
The OT title will need to at least include "..like a butterfly" somewhere in there to be worthy of the legend that is Kiryu.
I-understood-this-reference.gif

Guess I'll have to watch the story of yakuza 2 through 5 on YouTube or something because I don't want to be lost.
This post is meant for ALL who started with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, and won't/can't play through the rest of the series.

MOST OF THE GAMES ARE STANDALONE. What I mean by that is that the stories of one game have very little effect on the next one, and even when they do, it only affects the beginning before a new story starts. This happened in Yakuza 3, it happened in Yakuza 5 and again in Yakuza 6.

So if you've only played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and want to catch up on the series then you have two options.
  • You can either play through Yakuza 4 and 5 on the PS3. Yakuza 4 was the PS+ Game of the month for February 2015, and Yakuza 5 for August 2016 so you might possibly own them already.
  • OR you can just watch their stories on youtube.
The stories of Yakuza 2 and Yakuza 3 ARE NOT relevant to understanding the events of Yakuza 6 almost at all. Like seriously. The only game that matters is Yakuza 5 and you won't get Yakuza 5 if you don't know what happens in Yakuza 4.

Don't spoil yourself on Yakuza 2 in particular if that game does get remastered/remade. That game has the best story of the series after Yakuza 0 IMO, and THE BEST antagonist.

Top Bottom