• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Blizzard

Banned
I'm still hoping for hotseat multiplayer on release. My friend's wife has carpal tunnel / tendonitis so they like using hotseat.

CzarTim

As someone who knows next to nothing of this franchise, would I enjoy it if I love RTS games and back in the day adored Rise of Nations??
Civ is basically the classic strategy game. I def. recommend at least trying one of the main entries at some point.
I really enjoyed my time with Civ5, and have meant to get back to it but never did. So I'm not tired of it at all, because I've been neglecting it.

I know I'll get this (Civ6) eventually - is there a good quick pitch for why I should make the jump now, rather than returning to Civ5?

(...I don't need much convincing, to be honest, just wondering how foolish I'd be in whichever choice!)

The main draw is unstacking the cities (buildings go into specific districts that take a hex on the map), more dynamic use of the maps (districts get adjacency bonuses when next to certain hexes / research bonuses like "get a discount on sailing if you have a city on the coast), and more diverse ai types (agendas will hopefully add replayability.)

The only real question is whether the AI will be competitive enough.

Blizzard

Banned
Did the AI typically win via conquest in previous Civ entries versus humans? I think I won Civ 4 once, but didn't play much of that, and NONE of Civ 3 and earlier.

But will it be better than Endless Legend? Because right now that's my go-to 4x game.

I hope so. Because Age of Wonders 3 is handily above EL.

Though really, I classify Civilization, fantasy 4X, and space 4X all into their own categories; they all kind of do a different thing that makes direct comparisons difficult.
Did the AI typically win via conquest in previous Civ entries versus humans? I think I won Civ 4 once, but didn't play much of that, and NONE of Civ 3 and earlier.

It depends. In Civ5, the AI had a multi-tiered AI routines that would select a victory condition early on that it would actively pursuit, and pivot onto something else if it became unattainable. I think in Civ4 they were weighted towards certain victory conditions in a similar way, but there was no tiered AI handling it.

(Should note that I haven't actually seen a lot of late-game civ, but:) Generally, the AI will pivot into a conquest mindset when the player gets close to victory, as it's the only real chance of stopping them from winning directly. Like, they won't just sit by while the player gets close to a science victory.

Apt101

Those Scythia bonuses and abilities sound extremely beneficial during the early rounds of a military-focused campaign.

Impulsor

I finally bought this, from GMG, deluxe edition at standard price.

Barely time to play it between other games and workm but hey.

I love me some CIV.

Volodja

I managed to set a decent sleeping schedule for myself, and this fella releasing at 1 AM is gonna fuck it all up.
I'm ready for it.

Those Scythia bonuses and abilities sound extremely beneficial during the early rounds of a military-focused campaign.
Oh, they are insane.
Yo can overrun a lot of civs with your cavalry.

I have almost 300 hours put in to civ v + expansions.

Waiting for impressions and to make sure I can run it first but I'm definitely excited.

Edit: wait what I was a Liberal arts nut in school and I've never heard of Scythia

bjaelke

I have almost 300 hours put in to civ v + expansions.

Waiting for impressions and to make sure I can run it first but I'm definitely excited.

Edit: wait what I was a Liberal arts nut in school and I've never heard of Scythia

You were probably skipping class to play Civ V.

JCH!

Let's go! Awesome OT!

Debating whether to VPN the launch and start playing tonight. I've never done it before so I dunno...

MrGlass

Usually CIv would be a day 1 purchase for me but i think i'm going to hold off for a while, see what the reviews say and let things settle down.

Vex_

Banned
I might wait too, but I kinda want to jump in while it's hot/new and nobody knows anything about the game.

Best way to experience it imo.

Impulsor

Usually CIv would be a day 1 purchase for me but i think i'm going to hold off for a while, see what the reviews say and let things settle down.

When is the embargo?

Previews for this are alreadybetter than reviews were for Civ V.

Seems like this time the base game comes utlra packed.

Unlocks at midnight and i have the day off tomorrow....i'm planning on Romans or Chinese...or....i don't know :p I'll do t he tutorial (there is one?) first to get a feel for the new mechanics and then i'll set up some game with my friends providing the netcode/MP side of things isn't borked and we'll play till we drop.

fresquito

Kudos for the OT. Super cool banner.

The more I think who will I play first, the stronger this leader known as Random looks to me :-D

Anno

SPOILERS dude!!!

If it wasn't for the Stellaris expansion hitting today I'd be going crazy.

What is everyone's first Civ going to be?

I think I'm going to go France.

Probably Pericles. Something kinda generic but flexible that I can use to tinker around with all the systems.

Also holy shit at the full theme. Hopefully more of the soundtrack gets out today to help get me through work ;_;

With my mates coop game it is probably gonna be Sumeria for the super buddy team up options. Solo is still a little undecided but I will likely go with with Arabia or Sparta both speak to me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Early VPN unlock possible?

Yes. It unlocks in AU, NZ and Asia in ~3 hours and 50 minutes.

Steps, for those unfamiliar:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

SPOILERS dude!!!

If it wasn't for the Stellaris expansion hitting today I'd be going crazy.

What is everyone's first Civ going to be?

I think I'm going to go France.

Damn, forgot that came out today (stellaris expansion, my favorite new space strategy game). Glad I pre-ordered Civ 6 in the summer.

Thanks for the reminder.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

Huh, no kidding, I’ve never actually done this. And it unlocks in 3 hours for Australia? So when I get home from work today at 4:30 PM EST, I can actually do this and start playing many hours before I should be able to?

Tempting. That’s damn tempting. Maybe I need to go home early from work today….

Anno

Oh England's theme is a rendition of Scarborough Fair? Guess I might have to start as Vic, then. By the industrial Era it's already pretty epic.

crazyprac

5) Unlock the game

Never done this before but very tempted as I will be out for this weekend. So won't get to unpack the game till Monday. Is this a very bannable offense under steam?

Top Bottom