• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

Xtars

I didn't expected much, but holy shit, this game is hot garbage, it runs like shit, looks like shit and plays like shit. I'll give more detailed impressions after sleep, but Ubisoft is completely out of their mind if they charging 60$ for this mess. Also, this is high graphics presets:

Erm.... that is really not representative how the game looks for me running it on high settings.

You must run that on the lowest settings possible......

Kin5290

Helicopter controls are fine. It's the plane controls that are godawful. Turns out that they forgot that planes move thanks to flight surfaces and that there is a rudder, because there appears to be no way to use the rudder to make fine turns of the sort you'd need to, say, land on an airstrip.

Played about an hour, don't see myself playing any more. It felt very much like a Ubisoft open world game. In my hour I spent more time going from A to B and back to A again than I did doing anything else, and that's not rushing through missions, it's taking my time with stealth, tactics, evaluating the environment etc etc. The driving and flying mechanics are trash. I don't get it, does Rockstar hold a patent on driving and flying camera controls that I don't know about? Why is it so difficult to get this one thing right.

While driving I would occasionally notice ?'s on my minimap. At one point I saw 5 of them at once, normally I'd be interested since seeing a ? pop up would usually mean a point of interest so I could be wrong in saying the following, but I didn't bother because it's a Ubisoft game so I expect one to be an outpost, another to be a chest with cash randomly sitting in the open world/ammo crate, one to be a pick up of some crafting parts so I can increase the size of my gun clip, and the last two to be collectibles, one of which is probably up some radio tower you've got to climb.

The shooting, cover, climb, sprint mechanics are all decent at least and very similar to other Ubi games, WD, Div. Friendly AI seems rather useless. Played solo, might be better with friends.

The sound is meh, the lack of music while travelling is meh, their attempt at radio as usual is crap when comparing to other open world titles. At least try to entertain me while making me go from point to point Ubisoft.

Played a bit more. The game is trash, outposts to clear, go here do this, travel for an hour just to talk to someone. The world is too big and boring as hell. Its simply a chore to play. The plus side is that night time is actually dark, which is real nice for a change.

This looks like AAA but plays like B tier jank. Ubi should stop making everything open world. They're not good at it anymore, its the same formula over and over.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How so ? Didn't have to play yet.
AI seems better and more aggressive now compared to before. What other changes I'm not sure, only had a couple hours with it so far.
He's not really wrong. The closed beta was a jankfest, the open beta seems worse for me - I didn't get crashes during the closed beta, have had hard locks in the open beta.

Not only that but the gameplay is not changed at all - vehicles still handle like ass, and the missions are still just as cookie-cutter.
"This game is just so bad" is wrong, there's nothing that simple about it. Your opinion on the game don't make it a fact and also the OB is much better than the CB. Especially the performance have gone way up and it's utilizing resources better. It feels smoother too.

Gameplay has not changed? Cars do feel more unique and slightly better to drive, maybe due to engine optimization but the gunplay is great.

The missions can be done in so many way and now the AI is even better than in the CB, positioning at least on higher difficulty is more important.
Can you seriously sit there and say this game has any worth beyond the typical Ubi convoluted, dull open world? Not only that, but the gameplay is ass, except for the shooting which feels quite nice. There is nothing remotely compelling about the setting or story.
kvKXd.gif

Sounds like it's just not for you.

renzolama

I like it. High difficulty can make the tactical options really stand out, and having an attack plan come together nicely on 'go' feels as much like the old rainbow six tactical games as anything else I've seen lately. Looking forward to the full release. Also, I don't see any vehicle control problems, but maybe that's because I'm just using m+kb and not looking for an open world shooter to have Horizon 3 quality physics.

Jackpot

Banned
Am I being incredibly dense or is there really no cover system?

The super-loose camera amplifies the issues with the vehicle handling.

I don't think the game's super-bad, it's just very "bleh". I really doubt that later-act gameplay will be any different from opening-act gameplay. Just like all their previous games, it'll be the same fights over and over with the occasional bullet-sponge "heavy". Everything will be centered around all these pickups and collectables. Unlike other sandbox games, campaign missions will have no more depth than the random encounters.

admartian

AI seems better and more aggressive now compared to before. What other changes I'm not sure, only had a couple hours with it so far.

"This game is just so bad" is wrong, there's nothing that simple about it. Your opinion on the game don't make it a fact and also the OB is much better than the CB. Especially the performance have gone way up and it's utilizing resources better. It feels smoother too.

Gameplay has not changed? Cars do feel more unique and slightly better to drive, maybe due to engine optimization but the gunplay is great.

The missions can be done in so many way and now the AI is even better than in the CB, positioning at least on higher difficulty is more important.

kvKXd.gif

yep. I remember a time where you could still be excited about any game without the hive mind getting angry at you for liking a game that you "shouldn't".

Not every game has to be perfect or reach gamers' generally unrealistic expectations all the time.

Zen Aku

It's running better for me now than the close beta. Almost a rock solid 60fps on high settings using a GTX970. Facial animation during cutscenes are still horrendous though, take the immersion out of the game for me.

It's a decent fun but with so many games coming out in March. I'll probably skip this. It also looks pretty rough..

juventino

Banned

kvKXd.gif

No, sounds like its one of Ubisoft's worst open worlds to date

It's running better for me now than the close beta. Almost a rock solid 60fps on high settings using a GTX970.

Same. Before I was dropping into the 40s on a constant basis even on Medium... game ran like SHIT!

Now, on High, I'm rarely dropping below 60. My average is probably around 65-70 or so. Very pleasantly surprised by this!

juventino

Banned
Shooting is great.
Vehicles are passable.
Drone surveillance system is sweet.
The hate for this is purely hive mind.

it really isn't, this just isn't a very well polished or interesting open world and its the exact same Ubisoft formula they've been using for years. Frankly, its quite tiring

Zen Aku

Same. Before I was dropping into the 40s on a constant basis even on Medium... game ran like SHIT!

Now, on High, I'm rarely dropping below 60. My average is probably around 65-70 or so. Very pleasantly surprised by this!
Yeah 40fps on medium during closed beta.

Oddly enough now if I change it from Borderless (my prefer play mode) to Fullscreen and enable VSync then the game drop and hover between 30-40fps for some reason. Despite not changing anything else. Must be a bug.

It's a shame because playing on Borderless is okay but even capping the frame rate to 60fps still produces jaggies. I might have to manually enable VSync in Nvidia Control Panel.

Edit: honestly this game is giving me a huge reminding dose of The Division. It's just a whole lots of uninteresting Ubisoft open world stuff. I hope I'm wrong and that this game does well, but I'm not confident.

Warablo

Still kinda shit since the closed beta. This game is poor or mediocre in all areas except for land mass and the gunsmith.

kamspy

Gameplay feels loose and wonky. Why wouldn't they just add squad mechanics and vehicles to the foundation controls system of The Division or Splinter Cell Blacklist? They've got TPS games that control brilliantly so for this to feel so bad is shocking to me.

It feels like a PSP game.

Steveo

Banned
Gameplay feels loose and wonky. Why wouldn't they just add squad mechanics and vehicles to the foundation controls system of The Division or Splinter Cell Blacklist? They've got TPS games that control brilliantly so for this to feel so bad is shocking to me.

It controls just like GRAW did years ago.

I guess Ghost Recon fans will be happy, because Ghost Recon always controlled stiff, and shooting always felt underwhelming.

I feel like my closed Beta impressions are still valid, not that I expected anything to change between then and now:

Ehh, I'll play it again.

This game went from highly anticipated, to wait and see after playing the closed Beta.

Terrible characters, couldn't care less about the story (which is frankly unneeded, give me a text briefing...don't need the cringy cutscenes/story), squad/character chatter is eye roll inducing, vehicles controlled horribly (especially the chopper), AI is dumb, side missions are uninspired, graphics were subpar along with a myriad of glitches and technical issues.

That said, the old creed still holds true...coop makes everything fun. The gunplay wasn't too bad either and the draw distance was pretty amazing.

Might be a good 'two-weeks' game, feels like there's a lot that needs fixing.

Seriously though, Ghost Recon doesn't need the bullshit, melodrama 'story'. I'm not even against the idea of the open world, MGSV style approach the mission your way gameplay, but man...everything outside of the main missions felts empty and trivial. Would have preferred a smaller world if it meant tighter and more focused gameplay. Basically more Ground Zeroes.

This post was way longer than I anticipated.

Again, pretty disappointed, loved the original Ghost Recon and even the switch to 3rd person in Ghost Recon 2. I am just not feeling this one, even considering the few things that are fun, everything else (traversal between missions, collecting supplies, side activities are mundane) just felt like such a chore.

Looking like a pass or down the line when it's cheap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I don't think the game's super-bad, it's just very "bleh". I really doubt that later-act gameplay will be any different from opening-act gameplay. Just like all their previous games, it'll be the same fights over and over with the occasional bullet-sponge "heavy". Everything will be centered around all these pickups and collectables. Unlike other sandbox games, campaign missions will have no more depth than the random encounters.
I see it as MGSV without the cutscenes and cool abilities. lol

You do stick to walls though, but it seems to happen if you just run into them.

SomTervo

Cover system is soft like TLOU's. Crouch up to a wall and you'll lean into it. Aim and you pop out. Swap shoulders to pivot direction.

I think they spread themselves too thin. Too many resources went into the world simulation.

Also lol at "like a PSP game". Ridiculous.

Played a bit more. The game is trash, outposts to clear, go here do this, travel for an hour just to talk to someone. The world is too big and boring as hell. Its simply a chore to play. The plus side is that night time is actually dark, which is real nice for a change.

This looks like AAA but plays like B tier jank. Ubi should stop making everything open world. They're not good at it anymore, its the same formula over and over.

No it's not, seriously, wtf.

It's fine people having problems with the game and its open world - but this open world is completely different to Ubisoft's 2007-2014 open world loop. So was WD2's. They finally started changing it but nobody is paying attention.

nOoblet16

There is a cover system, all you need to do is be next to a wall while also being close to an edge.

FiraB

Banned
The hate for this is purely hive mind.
No it isnt. I want to like this, hell it has everything that should make it great but it isnt. Its passble, the fun is the coop but outside that its meh tier.

I mean ffs the game is streaming assets after a 23gig download man, who the fck thought that was a smart idea at ubi needs a kick in the teeth.

Danone

Neo Member
I was just playing MGSV, then went to Wildlands. It's so underwhelming, it feels like I'm controling a tank, Kojima and his team really did something special with those controls

kamspy

It controls just like GRAW did years ago.

I guess Ghost Recon fans will be happy, because Ghost Recon always controlled stiff, and shooting always felt underwhelming.

I'm not going to give up on it. Future Soldier felt much tighter. I just feel like I don't have precise control of my character in cover.

Couldn't they have started with the movement system in Future Soldier, Blacklist or The Division? This game would be perfect if I could transplant the feel of any of those games.

dragos495

downloaded the beta on pc, first time playing wildlands. major plus for uplay speeds, 26mbs download compared to 9-10 ps4. finished downloading in a few minutes.

the game looks amazing! im playing it on a gtx1080 in 4k and everything ultra. i get constant 30fps, only when i look up it shoots to 60fps. the amount of detail is amazing. LOOOOOVe the mountains, the plains, the forests, the lake, everything. daytime/nightime, it looks awesome!

i love the weapons and the shooting. hated the "cover" system. i got to level 6 in a few hours, mainly just goofing around but i did around 5 story missions i think, or 2 (they had cutscenes at the end). snipers feel awesome! the bullet drop is good and the fact that no matter how far you shoot the bullet actually lands and you see a puff of dust is pretty incredible if you ask me! :)

the driving sucks, but at least its easy.

i played an hour coop but i didnt like it so i went solo for the rest of the day. pretty solid teamwork gameplay.

i must say that if i didnt got the game for free on pc because of my gtx1080 i think i would have actually bought it.

SomTervo

I was just playing MGSV, then went to Wildlands. It's so underwhelming, it feels like I'm controling a tank, Kojima and his team really did something special with those controls

Going from MGSV to this is a bad idea haha.

But Kojima nailed control to an INDUSTRY standard, so the same goes for almost any stealth action game out there really.

I mean ffs the game is streaming assets after a 23gig download man, who the fck thought that was a smart idea at ubi needs a kick in the teeth.

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure literally every videogame "streams assets"

I'm not going to give up on it. But I feel like Future Soldier felt much tighter. I'm not going to give up on it. I just feel like I don't have precise control of my character in cover.

Couldn't they have started with the movement system in Future Soldier, Blacklist or The Division? This game would be perfect if I could transplant the feel of any of those games.

I havent played the beta yet but it kinda baffles me how they could screw up a cover system that was just about perfect in both Future Soldier and Blacklist.

patientx

Well, played over 6 hours in one sitting;
Graphics not good as expected
Story meh...
Execution I think this one is worse than division which was not that great either ...
Performance stayed at 45-50 fps average with my rx480 on automatic settings, I think it was OK.

Overall, not worth the time or money to invest in this game, gameplay looks clunky as well... Wasted 23 GB of my 150 GB data cap on this :/

nOoblet16

I'm not going to give up on it. But Future Soldier felt much tighter. I'm not going to give up on it. I just feel like I don't have precise control of my character in cover.

Future Soldier had amazing movement that also looked extremely stylish, it also had very good feeling gunplay. I don't know why they'd throw it all away. Especially consider The Division, and RPG used the same type of movement system.

It's trademark Ubi cover system and Ubi themselves isn't using it lol

kamspy

Future Soldier had amazing movement that also looked extremely stylish, it also had very good feeling gunplay. I don't know why they'd throw it all away.

I thought I was the only person who liked that game. This feels like a step back in every way.

Top Bottom