• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody knows anything else about Mass Efect PS3 being announced this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arnie said:
It better not be Ultimate Edition. EA have a habit of that recently.

Mass Effect: The Krogan's Bollocks Edition

I was thinking Mass effect : Galactic edition but yours just smacks it, well done sir :lol

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That was just a deal between Microsoft and Tecmo, though. The first Mass Effect was a pure Microsoft funded and published game. There's a deal in place between EA and Microsoft, no doubt about it, otherwise ME2 would be multiplatform from the get go. The only question is what kind of a deal.

Maybe that deal was, 6 months exclusivity on ME2 (where EA cannot talk about the PS3 version) and when that window has passed, EA can talk about ME1 and ME2 ports. Who knows?

hamchan

gdt5016 said:
I don't really understand the point you're trying to make.

I think he's trying to say the stuff that carried over from ME1 to ME2 was mostly meaningless and minor because Bioware wants to release ME2 and ME3 on the PS3 but can't release ME1 because of publishing issues.

gdt5016 said:
I don't really understand the point you're trying to make.

Wrex, Liara, Kaiden, and Ashley. All of those characters represent the major choices you make in ME1. Whether or not Wrex dies. Whether or not Kaiden or Ashley dies. Do you romance Ashley or Liara. Do you romance Kaiden or Liara.

Unlike characters like Garrus or Tali, who dont have those kinds of major choices attached to them in ME1 and are thus included prominently in ME2, Wrex, Liara, Kaiden, and Ashley are almost completely non-existent in ME2. It's because when Bioware was designing ME2 they knew that there were going to be people who play it (on PS3) that have no way of playing the first game.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Exactly. It could be anything.

Well, some people seem to know what's coming (a few hints in this thread), but not the precise deal. Quite a lot of people seem to know about this. At the end of the day, its what PS3 owners get that counts, not what chin wagging went on behind closed doors.

I <3 Memes said:
Wrex, Liara, Kaiden, and Ashley. All of those characters represent the major choices you make in ME1. Whether or not Wrex dies. Whether or not Kaiden or Ashley dies. Do you romance Ashley or Liara. Do you romance Kaiden or Liara.

Unlike characters like Garrus or Tali, who dont have those kinds of major choices attached to them in ME1 and are thus included prominently in ME2, Wrex, Liara, Kaiden, and Ashley are almost completely non-existent in ME2. It's because when Bioware was designing ME2 they knew that there were going to be people who play it (on PS3) that have no way of playing the first game.

You could just as easily say that they weren't featured prominently because they could be dead or ignored, and Bioware didn't have the time/resourses/gumption to write entire story lines in, that half of the players wouldn't see, which would in addition complicate or gimp the main story.

harriet the spy said:
I don't see why it cannot be enjoyed for the same price on the ps3.

I don't think it's so much that it can't as that historically it isn't. Games that get full-price ports after the original is down to $20 don't sell well, so presumably there aren't that many people on {port-receiving platform X} that feel like the game is worth full-price anymore.

Though, again, a 2-for-1 pack would be a fairly reasonable deal and a good way to prep the platform for the third game.

edit: I really can't stop myself from telling you this: I usually like what you post a lot, but god damn if you don't have the most annoying avatar on gaf :)

I'm just supporting the troops.

I <3 Memes said:
It's a shame it turned out this way. It seems like Bioware and grand ambitions as to how your choices would impact the later game but that was all screwed up due to gaming's "competing machines" stupidity.

I'm more liable to blame it on Bioware's mouth writing checks that their ass can't cash. :p

Mutanthands said:
You could just as easily say that they weren't featured prominently because they could be dead or ignored, and Bioware didn't have the time/resourses/gumption to write entire story lines in, that half of the players wouldn't see, which would in addition complicate or gimp the main story.

You dont need to recruit a whole crew in ME2 to do the final mission. It's the same situation. Bioware created characters, wrote stories, designed specific missions for, and had lines acted out for characters you dont even have to see in the game.

soco

Kagari said:
They don't, but this would give them a better excuse to release Mass Effect 3 the same day on all three platforms.

unless, of course, all the rumours about the exclusivity deals are really true and it's not some "each game will be exclusive to X360 & PC for at least X months" kinda thing.

Haunted

Kagari said:
They don't, but this would give them a better excuse to release Mass Effect 3 the same day on all three platforms.
badcrumble said:
The point would be to tee things up for a simultaneous multiplatform release of Mass Effect 3.
Hm. Yeah, that sounds plausible enough.

Kagari said:

Hit the nail on the head. They want to build on their audience for more ME3 sales. More platforms = more hype = more sales.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do wonder how a Mass Effect 2 only release would go down, especially since its continuation of the main story. Would people really be interested in jumping in now?

Arnie

I <3 Memes said:

I guess you didn't save Wrex in ME1 then.

I <3 Memes said:
You dont need to recruit a whole crew in ME2 to do the final mission. It's the same situation. Bioware created characters, wrote stories, designed specific missions for, and had lines acted out for characters you dont even have to see in the game.

Much more complicated to do this between games, with major characters, than with two peripheral characters in the same game, who probably have a snowball's chance in hell of showing up again.

Grunt =/=Ashley or Wrex. I'll give you Legion

EatChildren said:
I do wonder how a Mass Effect 2 only release would go down, especially since its continuation of the main story. Would people really be interested in jumping in now?

They could pull a Shenmue 2 and just have the first story told via a movie. The only problem is obviously getting around your own character being shown, but maybe you could create your character first and then the movie would use that model?

Crisis

Banned
Xater said:
How did Bioshock do on PS3?
They charged $60 for a year old game that was $30 or less on a competing system and wasn't even as good a port as it could have been. How do you think it did?

Coxswain

I <3 Memes said:

Either that, or they realized that building branches off of branches makes designing each successive game in a very literal sense exponentially more complicated and difficult to make with a finite budget and development team, and they decided that if it was only realistically economically feasible to do a proper, complex callback to an earlier decision, it would be better to concentrate the payoff in the final game of the trilogy rather than having things fizzle out in the second game.

Edit: Let me nip this shit in the bud: I don't actually expect that this is true to any particularly meaningful extent. I'm saying that this is just as likely as the idea that Bioware specifically welched on the ME1->ME2 carryover because of secret PS3 version.

Coxswain said:
Either that, or they realized that building branches off of branches makes designing each successive game in a very literal sense exponentially more complicated and difficult to make with a finite budget and development team, and they decided that if it was only realistically economically feasible to do a proper, complex callback to an earlier decision, it would be better to concentrate the payoff in the final game of the trilogy rather than having things fizzle out in the second game.

That is a very... optimistic view of where they are going with things!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Coxswain said:

Well, in that case, Mass Effect 2 going into Mass Effect 3 is an economic disaster from a developmental perspective.

Xater

charlequin said:
Very poorly. Bioshock 2 did better but still not well compared to 360 (190k-ish debut month on PS3 vs 563k on 360.)

Hmm depending on how EA does this it might still be worth it for them. To make the impact they want they probably need the 2 pack.

I like the mental contortions that go along with insisting that the lack of carry-over from Mass Effect 1 to 2 is that Bioware was brilliantly thinking forward to make sure no one is lost.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You're most likely to get a PS3 port of ME2 with a synopsis of ME1, than a port of just ME1 1st. I'll agree with Charlequin on that its way too late for ME1, at least as a stand alone package. For ME2, not so much. That came out earlier this year and would make sense for a holiday release 2010 for the PS3 version (the 360 version would also benefit from the cross promotion). They could combo pack much like Rockstar did the GTA games for the Xbox. They were old news by that time but still sold well. I bet there are enough PS3 only owners for this to be worth a port. I have a good friend that would do cartwheels for this. He might would kill, or maim at least.

N.A

Banned
I <3 Memes said:

It's not quite the same. Everybody who plays Mass Effect 2 has the chance see all those characters and have the option to complete their missions. The point is that if a good percentage of players (50% or more) are continuing from a save game then they wouldn't even have the option to play hours worth of content from the characters that died.

EatChildren said:
Well, in that case, Mass Effect 2 going into Mass Effect 3 is an economic disaster from a developmental perspective.

I think everyone should prepare for Bioware to under deliver, and be pleasantly surprised if they pull off something close to what they promised.

Mass Effect is a hit, but it isn't a GTA or RDR sized monster that gets you an AAA budget to do anything you want.

So I could see them doing this to get as many eyes on ME3 as possible. But I don't see them spending alot of resourses making it pretty and smooth.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Haunted said:
When did late ports ever sell well?

GTA pack (xbox) and RE4 (PS2) send their greetings. Ps2 version outsold the GC version I believe, even though the port was so bad it gave everyone AIDS who played it (according to some people, I thought it was fine).

Coxswain

charlequin said:
That is a very... optimistic view of where they are going with things!
I admit it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from attributing it to clandestine console exclusivity conspiracies, and the reality is probably that they just never really were going to be able to make grand multi-game stories about each supporting character, but you can't really deny that it's some pretty basic math to realize that you can't realistically support decisions in the first game branching into decisions for the second game that branch off into more decisions in the third game without running into some pretty huge development issues, not to mention diminishing returns as you go from 100% of players encountering a particular situation to 50% in the sequel, and 25% in the last game.

Coxswain said:
Oh my.

EatChildren

Mutanthands said:
I think everyone should prepare for Bioware to underdeliver, and be pleasantly surprised if they pull off some close to what they promised.

Mass Effect is a hit, but it isn't a GTA or RDR sized monster that gets you an AAA budget to do anything you want.

So I could see them doing this to get as many eyes on ME3 as possible. But I don't see them spending alot of resourses making it pretty and smooth.

Pretty much. How they handled Mass Effect 2, both in terms of the impact of ME1 decisions and the decisions that set up ME3, has me completely unconvinced ME3 will be any good in the whole 'continue the story' department. Too many variables.

N.A said:
It's not quite the same. Everybody who plays Mass Effect 2 has the chance see all those characters and have the option to complete their missions.

And so would people who played ME1. Having larger roles for those 4 characters from ME1 would have helped EA sell more copies of ME1.

I can guarantee you that if the only way to have Wrex or Liara or Kaiden appear as major characters in ME2 was to save them in ME1 then just about everybody who bought ME2 would have made damn sure that they owned ME1 as well.

Coxswain said:
I admit it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from attributing it to clandestine console exclusivity conspiracies, and the reality is probably that they just never really were going to be able to make grand multi-game stories about each supporting character, but you can't really deny that it's some pretty basic math to realize that you can't realistically support decisions in the first game branching into decisions for the second game that branch off into more decisions in the third game without running into some pretty huge development issues, not to mention diminishing returns as you go from 100% of players encountering a particular situation to 50% in the sequel, and 25% in the last game.

WTF are you even talking about? FFS man you just replace the characters from the second recruitment list in ME2 (these are the characters that you dont even have to see to finish the game) with characters from the choices in ME1.

It's the same thing. It's development money spent on characters that you may not even meet in the game. Only if you use characters from ME1 you motivate people to buy ME1 to have the characters they want alive. Liara stays the same. Wrex appears or doesn't appear. And either Kaiden or Ashley is available.

FFS guys, it is at most 1 less character in the game depending on if you owned ME1. And that would be Wrex. You would still get Ashley or Kaiden based on whatever the developer decided was cannon. It would probably be based on whether or not you chose a male or female for ME2.

To put it simply, Mass Effect 1 will never be on PS3.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm currently playing a Bioware game on PS3 right now and it's running like shit. Not remotely excited for PS3 version of ME.

I <3 Memes said:
I can guarantee you that if the only way to have Wrex or Liara or Kaiden appear as major characters in ME2 was to save them in ME1 then just about everybody who bought ME2 would have made damn sure that they owned ME1 as well.
Let me slightly rephrase your post.

If the only way to have Wrex or Liara or Kaiden appear as major characters in ME2 was to save them in ME1 then only people who already owned ME1 would ever buy ME2.

Peff

recklessmind said:
I'm currently playing a Bioware game on PS3 right now and it's running like shit. Not remotely excited for PS3 version of ME.

You mean the port made by an entirely different company of a game made by a different team within Bioware?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
recklessmind said:

Supposedly Dragon Age is shitty for both consoles. I've seen and played both, couldn't tell much of a difference between the two versions.

Corto

I remember on one of IGN's podcast, an interview with a developer of Mass Effect where this possibility was heavily hinted. But it was some time ago, maybe 5-6 months, and I expected an E3 announcement that didn't happened. If true, I'm all over it.:D

Coxswain said:
but you can't really deny that it's some pretty basic math to realize that you can't realistically support decisions in the first game branching into decisions for the second game that branch off into more decisions in the third game without running into some pretty huge development issues

I meant that the part where you think ME3's payoffs will be any less superficial than ME2's was optimistic.

God I hope this is true. I have the PC version of mass effect on my laptop and loathe the keyboard and mouse setup so much I immediately stopped playing about an hour into it, even though the game itself seems good.

Give me a Ps3 version with Dualshock 3 support and I'll buy it at a high price

De-mon

Corto said:
Link please? I can't seem to find the news on vandal.net.

In the forum. I know more info but can´t publish anything officially.

Sony or EA should announce the game tomorrow. If not, it´s coming in a few weeks in a magazine or web as exclusive.

Corto

De-mon said:
In the forum. I know more info but can´t publish anything officially.

We are all gentlemen here. You can trust that whatever you tell us here will be kept secret, and nobody will spill the beans.
spill the beans, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom