• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Tizoc

Those are some interesting points.

Most players may not realize that Lvl. 3 super do 100+partner's super damage.
Therefore min. damage is 350, maximum is 480.
Average would be at around 400-415 points of damage. Obviously it's not worth comboing into unless you are CERTAIN it'll KO your opponent, or if it's give you an advantage against your opponent's better character, but even with the latter it's something to consider before doing.

From what I've experimented, the average damage of a combo into Lvl. 3 super comes to 600 points of damage.

LakeEarth

Average would be at around 400-415 points of damage. Obviously it's not worth comboing into unless you are CERTAIN it'll KO your opponent, or if it's give you an advantage against your opponent's better character, but even with the latter it's something to consider before doing.
I dunno. I am a big supporter of using supers and cross rushes in SFxT. Bringing one of your opponents character down to < 30% non-recoverable life usually leads them to never tag them in (just bring them in and out for combos). If they never tag them in, their other character never gets healed. If your opponent does double tag cancel combos, any recoverable life the other character has is wiped out. All these are big advantages IMO.

Another fact about level 3's is that the super part undoes some of the scaling of the combo. Do one in training mode and watch the damage scaling percentage jump up before the super.

EDIT - now that I've seen the post you were referring to, ya doing a cross rush for a full life character isn't the best idea.

Sayah

I'd go so far as to put him only slightly below the shotos. Historically the only thing that holds Guile back is his damage output and in SF4 he was weak against the wake up game. Now he can run his amazing zoning game on a longer stage, where everyone walks slower, and jumps have more start up frames. The roll and alpha counter give him escape options. Chain combos makes his crouching mk more amazing than ever.

In short, he has all or strengths from the past games, got some new buffs and most of his weaknesses have been removed or massively mitigated.

I'm not sure how he was in SFIV but it's irritating to face him in this game. lol
He's definitely one of the better players in the game.

Myomoto

I'm not sure how he was in SFIV but it's irritating to face him in this game. lol
He's definitely one of the better players in the game.

He varied a lot throughout the releases. In vanilla SF4 he was pretty weak, but in Super he was top tier (stupid fast charge and recovery on sonic booms), then in AE he seems to have been toned down to a more middling performance.

Bizazedo

Obviously it's not worth comboing into unless you are CERTAIN it'll KO your opponent, or if it's give you an advantage against your opponent's better character, but even with the latter it's something to consider before doing.
With no gems, I'd agree.

With gems? Can focus on +meter gems and then it's very worth it, imo, mainly because it eradicates all the "red" health of the character you hit.

For that reason alone it can be useful.

SUPARSTARX

Yeah, meter gems if you can start combos off with it or have it go off during, it cuts down on meter usage by building a bit more during the combo. There's a lot of corner tag combos where you can lay out a few more normals before ending it to effectively cut the cost of the tag cancel down from 1 stock to about 3/4 or 2/3 stock cost.

I don't have any meter gems present here in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72IgSsQmPz0 but those special moves build back up enough on it's own for that specific matter. The same can be applied elsewhere.

SFxT apparently sells(ships?) 1.4 million copies in 2 months:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/07/capcom-reports-sluggish-sales-for-street-fighter-x-tekken/
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

So much for that mega flop that people had hoped for. "Lagging" sales or not, that's impressive. Plus, VITA release, PC release, additional characters and ongoing balance patches should only help it do better.

How is underperforming impressive? That word is usually reserved for when something exceeds expectations, like Operation Raccoon City.

I'd go so far as to put him only slightly below the shotos. Historically the only thing that holds Guile back is his damage output and in SF4 he was weak against the wake up game. Now he can run his amazing zoning game on a longer stage, where everyone walks slower, and jumps have more start up frames. The roll and alpha counter give him escape options. Chain combos makes his crouching mk more amazing than ever.

In short, he has all or strengths from the past games, got some new buffs and most of his weaknesses have been removed or massively mitigated.

Guile is also one of the only characters that can punish blocked strings that end with a move that pushes the other character back like guile's far standing rh or kazuya standing fierce. The timing is easy with the rh flashkick and a little tight with his sonic boom super.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
SFxT apparently sells(ships?) 1.4 million copies in 2 months:
http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/07/capcom-reports-sluggish-sales-for-street-fighter-x-tekken/
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

So much for that mega flop that people had hoped for. "Lagging" sales or not, that's impressive. Plus, VITA release, PC release, additional characters and ongoing balance patches should only help it do better.

Capcpom shipped 1.4 million copies to retailers. It sold <600k according to NPD, meaning that there are about 700-800k copies sitting on shelves right now, and retailers aren't going to even come close to selling all of them. That's pretty much the definition of a flop, unfortunately. Nothing impressive about it.

sleepykyo

Capcpom shipped 1.4 million copies to retailers. It sold <600k according to NPD, meaning that there are about 700-800k copies sitting on shelves right now, and retailers aren't going to even come close to selling all of them. That's pretty much the definition of a flop, unfortunately. Nothing impressive about it.

Are you subtracting npd numbers from the global shipments without an estimate of the European sales?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Are you subtracting npd numbers from the global shipments without an estimate of the European sales?

Turn that 700-800k into 500-600k and it's not that much better. If they shipped 1.4mil, and only sold 600k in North America, then it's not good no matter how you look at it since North America is the primary market for the game by a lot.

kitzkozan

Pretty certain Capcpom turned off a lot of sales by announcing the Vita DLC characters a week before release.

You can include me with those who opted to boycott the game. :p I had enough abuse from Capcom with all the crap they pulled since the start of 2011. When I learned about the DLC characters debacle I tried to convince myself to overlook it since I've been a loyal Capcom fan for so long...

Enough is enough, I'm done "rewarding" such a crappy management crew.

Tizoc

You can include me with those who opted to boycott the game. :p I had enough abuse from Capcom with all the crap they pulled since the start of 2011. When I learned about the DLC characters debacle I tried to convince myself to overlook it since I've been a loyal Capcom fan for so long...

Enough is enough, I'm done "rewarding" such a crappy management crew.

So you're getting the game when it's on Vita or when it's on sale for like $20?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So it's been two months since this game came out and I still get destroyed by pretty much everyone online. Even new players, lol. I don't know what it is about SFxTK, but I just can't "get" the game for some reason. Something about it always feels off when I am playing. I also still can't find a set of characters to stick with, mainly because I'm more interested in the DLC cast.

Is the game like this for anyone else? Anyone want to play me and tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong?

SUPARSTARX

So it's been two months since this game came out and I still get destroyed by pretty much everyone online. Even new players, lol. I don't know what it is about SFxTK, but I just can't "get" the game for some reason. Something about it always feels off when I am playing. I also still can't find a set of characters to stick with, mainly because I'm more interested in the DLC cast.

Is the game like this for anyone else? Anyone want to play me and tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong?
I'm discovering new stuff almost every week

Nyoro SF

You must let us know what team you play if you would like help in the written form.

Now if you play Ryu/Ken, and you're losing, you may be having issues with understanding Street Fighter on a fundamental level. :)

NEO0MJ

Turn that 700-800k into 500-600k and it's not that much better. If they shipped 1.4mil, and only sold 600k in North America, then it's not good no matter how you look at it since North America is the primary market for the game by a lot.

Actually, it sold anywhere between 580-230k in the USA, and most likely it's closer to the 230 side.

02. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (360, PS3)** Capcom USA - 582K
03. MLB 12: The Show (PS3, PSV) Sony (Corp)
04. NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, PS2) Take 2 Interactive
05. SSX 2012 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
06. Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3, 360)** Capcom USA
07. Mario Party 9 (Wii) Nintendo - 230K

And according to media create it sold 67k during its first week, less than 5k during its second week before dropping entirely from the charts by its third week. It only sold on average 7th best in Europe and considering Europe's weak game sales this year I doubt it had much of a splash. So even by best estimates I doubt the game sold much more than half its shipment.

Pretty certain Capcpom turned off a lot of sales by announcing the Vita DLC characters a week before release.

I know I was one those turned of. But I have no idea what could bring me to buy this now. Price cuts won't help much, and most of my friends stopped playing fighters. I miss the glory days of SF IV.

Lyte Edge

You must let us know what team you play if you would like help in the written form.

Now if you play Ryu/Ken, and you're losing, you may be having issues with understanding Street Fighter on a fundamental level. :)

Like I said, I haven't decided on a team yet, but I find I do best with Cammy, Poison, Guile, and Gief. I'd like to learn a Tekken character too. I like Bob, Lili, Nina, Paul, and Julia most. In SF4 I main Chun.

Nyoro SF

Like I said, I haven't decided on a team yet, but I find I do best with Cammy, Poison, Guile, and Gief. I'd like to learn a Tekken character too. I like Bob, Lili, Nina, and Julia most. In SF4 I main Chun.

For any fighting game it's best to tough it out with a certain character/team and learn all their best tools and bad matchups. Switching constantly is a recipe for disaster (in before some smartass comes in here and says he mains 6 characters no problem).

I would pick a Guile/Julia team if I were you. There's a lot of references out there for both characters and it's not hard to learn what they can do. They're also strong, so you don't have to worry about unnecessary deficiencies.

Once you've got an idea of how your characters work, you'll want to focus on why the losses occur on a team level. Be careful when you tag and don't tag, etc.

Lyte Edge

For any fighting game it's best to tough it out with a certain character/team and learn all their best tools and bad matchups. Switching constantly is a recipe for disaster (in before some smartass comes in here and says he mains 6 characters no problem).

I would pick a Guile/Julia team if I were you. There's a lot of references out there for both characters and it's not hard to learn what they can do. They're also strong, so you don't have to worry about unnecessary deficiencies.

Once you've got an idea of how your characters work, you'll want to focus on why the losses occur on a team level. Be careful when you tag and don't tag, etc.

Thanks, but I know all that- been playing fighting games since SF2. Had no trouble picking up and getting right into recent games like KOFXIII, SCV, and Skullgirls. It's just this game.

I tend to go more for the ladies in this game and usually end up with Poison and Cammy.

mr_boo

I'm more so like Lyte Edge in that I switch around a lot. I would say this though ... using a lot of different characters you build a good defensive understanding when facing your oponent. For example, I didn't understand how to guard against Hei until I started using him. Of the characters that Lyte listed, I only use three of them: Guile, Lili and Nina.

Guile I find solid base/anchor lead character.
Lili has pretty good footsie-wise, but I find her fragile. She's also a bit turtleish due to anti-air df HK, which leads to good damage.
Nina is a current work-in-progress. Nice damage, but also pretty fragile too.

Noobish question: I don't use/know much about Claw - what's the best way to defend his wall jump grab/splash move? I find that move infuriating. Note, assume no SRK option, as I tend not to use shotos.

Edit: @ Lyte Edge: you probably know that most female characters are at a health disadvantage ... so it's always kinda of of an uphill battle when going wtih two ladies.

Does anyone here use a Saturn USB pad or recommend a good USB fighting controller? Gearing up for the PC release. I can't use arcade sticks because I have carpel tunnel that's a killer.

Lyte Edge

Does anyone here use a Saturn USB pad or recommend a good USB fighting controller? Gearing up for the PC release. I can't use arcade sticks because I have carpel tunnel that's a killer.

There's always the Mad Catz fight pads...

How many people are gonna grab this game for PC still? The public opinion of this game leads me to believe there won't be a significant PC community for it. I'm only looking forward to some interesting/goofy user mod outfits.

Lyte Edge

After posting here, I started doing better online. Decided to try Chun and started getting wins...did well with Guile and Hugo too. Maybe I should just stick to the Capcom side at least until the DLC hits.

you could always hook up a ds3 to your pc. but have you tried the new sfxt ones? the dpad is different on those ones. i've been meaning to get one but couldn't find one in stores anywhere.

Get one from Amazon or the Gameshark store. I got one for each system and would say that the d-pad feels about the same. The pad size is smaller and the shoulder buttons feel better. The PS3 version is also wired, so no more lost signal bullshit.

I find that the fight pads are hit and miss though. I've bought at least two (if not more) for every Capcom-related release (SF4, SSF4, and SFxTK) and at least one has a malfunction, but the good ones work well and last pretty long.

After posting here, I started doing better online. Decided to try Chun and started getting wins...did well with Guile and Hugo too. Maybe I should just stick to the Capcom side at least until the DLC hits.
i think marduk, julia, hwoarang, and perhaps nina feel kind of capcomish to me, even if they all lack fireballs.

Get one from Amazon or the Gameshark store. I got one for each system and would say that the d-pad feels about the same. The pad size is smaller and the shoulder buttons feel better. The PS3 version is also wired, so no more lost signal bullshit.

I find that the fight pads are hit and miss though. I've bought at least two (if not more) for every Capcom-related release (SF4, SSF4, and SFxTK) and at least one has a malfunction, but the good ones work well and last pretty long.
not really a fan of ordering online. but i'm still pretty happy with a ds3. no other dpad has come close for me except for the older ds' and sega pads. i just can't stand the shoulder buttons and would prefer 6 buttons on the front.

So i almost lost a game to someone holding forward using auto block. Was forced to bait them by throwing them two times so i can make them press a button so i can get some damage in. I already don't want to play anymore.

The more I read posts like this, the more I think Capcom shot themselves in the foot with the DLC exclusivity.

It's not about the dlc it's the fact that its getting less competitive with these new assist gems. I'm not even getting out played im getting bullshited. I can agree though that all the dlc fiasco was the nail in the coffin for the buyers.

shiroryu

How many people are gonna grab this game for PC still? The public opinion of this game leads me to believe there won't be a significant PC community for it. I'm only looking forward to some interesting/goofy user mod outfits.

I'm holding on to my Steam preorder, and yeah, I'm only looking to see what the mod community will do. That and the fact that this is the first time I will be able to play Tekken characters on a PC. Damn it Namco, put one Tekken on the PC at least!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The more I read posts like this, the more I think Capcom shot themselves in the foot with the DLC exclusivity.

I think giving in to the Sony moneyhats may prove to have been absolutely the wrong decision.

Arguments over on-disc DLC aside, all they've succeeded in doing is create the impression that the game was practically UnLaunched... too many desirable characters held off until a very distant and undefined release date, for no reason other than promoting the Vita.

This might have been a perfect opportunity for them to have tried a season pass offer and release DLC characters in sets of two (one Capcom, one Namco) every month for six months. Along with the costumes, gems, etc during the weeks in between.

If you think about it, we STILL don't have a real release date for the DLC characters, and even Mega Man and Pac Man are floating in limbo for the 360 side despite that we know they're on the disc.

Lyte Edge

Played a PSN player named "SF4_Sucks" yesterday. He had a King/Marduk team and after about 30 seconds into the first match, stopped playing and sent me a message saying "not going to chase after you" when I started zoning him and kept kicking him out of the air with Chun's standing MK when he jumped in. He followed up with "hahahahha n****r" when I responded with "OK. Bye!" Another player also sent me hate mail after half a round was spent with him continuously-jumping into projectiles. What is the deal with this game? Is it "my first 2D fighter" for a lot of people?

So i almost lost a game to someone holding forward using auto block. Was forced to bait them by throwing them two times so i can make them press a button so i can get some damage in. I already don't want to play anymore.

I haven't encountered anyone using the auto-block gems yet, but the more I read about and from what I've seen, it's like Capcom is turning SFxTK into Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition's lite mode. If you can equip the easy-move gems and the auto-block gems together, it seems like it would be almost exactly the same thing, just without super-broken no-charge-needed Guile. :/

It's not about the dlc it's the fact that its getting less competitive with these new assist gems. I'm not even getting out played im getting bullshited. I can agree though that all the dlc fiasco was the nail in the coffin for the buyers.

I think it's both of these things in addition to people just not liking the game play.

Nabs

It's going to be dead on arrival. The negative hype, the shit price, and future dlc plans have pretty much guaranteed that. I was going to pick it up, but I honestly can't pull myself to do it.

Toski

Played a PSN player named "SF4_Sucks" yesterday. He had a King/Marduk team and after about 30 seconds into the first match, stopped playing and sent me a message saying "not going to chase after you" when I started zoning him and kept kicking him out of the air with Chun's standing MK when he jumped in, then sent me the response "hahahahha n****r" when I responded with "OK. Bye!" Another player also sent me a message after half a round was spent with him continuously-jumping into projectiles. What is the deal with this game? Is it "my first 2D fighter" for a lot of people?

For some reason it seems this way. I've encountered more newbs than I'd expect and I'm wondering if they actually heard Capcom's siren song about this game being "beginner friendly."

For some reason it seems this way. I've encountered more newbs than I'd expect and I'm wondering if they actually heard Capcom's siren song about this game being "beginner friendly."
This is the first fighting game I've owned and really played since CvS2, but I have no idea why. I wasn't aware of it being touted as "beginner friendly," though, so it wasn't that.

danmaku

It's going to be dead on arrival. The negative hype, the shit price, and future dlc plans have pretty much guaranteed that. I was going to pick it up, but I honestly can't pull myself to do it.

Shit price? it's 40€ on Steam, and with a 10% discount for preorder it becomes 36€. A sensible price, imho. Everything else is against it, though. Good luck trying to sell gems to PC gamers.

On the other hand, modders could have fun messing with the game's engine...

who am I fooling, they'll just make nude patches

Nyx

Same here, though I think I finally found a team of chars that *click*.

Nabs

Shit price? it's 40€ on Steam, and with a 10% discount for preorder it becomes 36€. A sensible price, imho. Everything else is against it, though. Good luck trying to sell gems to PC gamers.

On the other hand, modders could have fun messing with the game's engine...

who am I fooling, they'll just make nude patches

I don't know. I don't really think $50 makes sense on PC. Especially when we know there's a $20 character pack on its way. I think a 4-pack with each copy coming out to $37.50 would make more sense. I guess we'll see what happens.

LakeEarth

What boost gem load out are you guys using with your team's order?

I play Kazuya/King. I don't remember numbers so I'll just describe the gems:

Kazuya:
- 20% damage increase when supering. A lot of my strategy for damage goes into landing that thing after a 2-3 hit combo for maximum un-recoverable damage. Kazuya's super doesn't take too long, so you get a mixup with the gem still active.

- has a "block 5 times for more meter gem", to get more supers.

- get hit 5 times, activate 100+ fortitude. Cause why not?

King:
- Advanced Input gem, because King has a STUPID d.back d.back shortcut for his qcb+P move, and c.jab is King's fastest move, so it comes out all the time. I miss some inputs cause of the gem, but it's better than getting punished when the move comes out while jabbing.

- +10% damage after being tagged in by launcher. Because Kazuya's magic series is one of the best in the game, so King will be tagged in at some point.

- get hit 5 times, activate 100+ fortitude. Cause King has no GTFO move and will need the extra health.

Hey I have a new Cross Assault strategy for ranked mode.
- activate Cross Assault against a shoto
- block the SRK
- do a quick 2-3 hit combo into a reset situation
- block the second SRK
- punish as hard as you can when he lands and hope your teammate doesn't fuck it up

Imm0rt4l

I haven't played this game in a few weeks, but saw that arturo dlc auto block gem nonsense. Wow, where is capcom taking this game. How is that shit seen as acceptable?

LakeEarth

It's not acceptable. Luckily, I've only seen one half-way decent player using it. They usually are terrible, and once I know they're autoblock users I tend to command throw characters.

Not that it isn't bullshit.

Top Bottom