• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions |OT| Wanna dodge this nut's attacks?

Now that people are really getting into this, are there many changes or additions to the main game compared to the original? I adore Superstar Saga but I don't really care for the new look this remake has and I'd like for there to be some changes aside from minion mode.

You can fast forward cutscenes and skip some tutorials. That's all I've noticed in my 2 hours with the game.

Enemies seem to drop a ton more items than I remember too, I guess, but that might just be me forgetting them doing that in the original.

You can fast forward cutscenes and skip some tutorials. That's all I've noticed in my 2 hours with the game.

Enemies seem to drop a ton more items than I remember too, I guess, but that might just be me forgetting them doing that in the original.

Drop rates for sure have changed. I'm seeing items that I never knew existed from bosses in the GBA version.

1upsuper

Thanks. I hope there are more changes though. The last thing this game needs is to get any easier though.

Yukinari

Correct me if im wrong but they also lowered the amount of beans it takes to brew coffee blends?

I also got 3 or 4 of the same badge in a row in Oho Ocean battles. Its really absurd.

After playing this for 15 hours I stumble across a few screenshots of the original game (was looking at how to get Woo Beans, see, I only have two) and boy, it looks super plain by comparison. Easy to take the new detail for granted after a while - both versions look superb in their own ways however.

My favourite thing about Superstar Saga is just how unpredictable it can be, the interconnected overworld, which itself is filled with secrets and soft- and hard-lock paths, is one of its standout things and something the other games in the series have lacked. Especially the last two. You could take just one look at the world maps of Dream Team and Paper Jam and practically guess where you're heading to next. By comparison, despite having played Superstar Saga three times since release, it's still surprising me in its order of events and how it all unfolds.

I hope revisiting the original game, and putting a lot of love into this remake, will reinvigorate Alphadream for their next RPG (on the Switch?). It's rare to see the original developer return to their first work 14 years later - especially with second party relationships such as this. Usually these sorts of projects are handed off to another dev with little or no input from the original staff. This game is a rare triumph in that respect.

The original game always had a high drop rate. You pretty much can't get out of battle without something also getting dropped. I'm guessing this game added new items as well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Now that people are really getting into this, are there many changes or additions to the main game compared to the original? I adore Superstar Saga but I don't really care for the new look this remake has and I'd like for there to be some changes aside from minion mode.
It's a really faithful remake.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I played more Bowser's Minions and honestly I am gonna stop sinking time into this side more as while I like the story the game play just bores me and just drives attention away from the real Super Star of the game, namely Mario and Luigi.

Why isn't there a switch version?

Just so you could ask that question.

Kouriozan

Just finished the main game, this is probably the most annoying (not hardest) final fight of the whole franchise, it just drags on for way too long,
took me more than 30 mins iirc.
Otherwise the game was OK, maybe too short but I don't mind, curious to see how the next game will be and look on Switch.

Wiggler is an awful boss. A solid 20 minute, tedious fight.

I always remember not liking this part of the game (the woods). There's quite a few bosses, and the design of the area is kind of boring. It was tedious as well on the GBA having to switch between powers constantly.

Good thing the game isn't that hard as it is, otherwise I'd be fairly jealous.

Every additional amiibo after the first gives you 3 of every bean type. It's ridiculous. It's probably the most blatant cheating amiibo have ever felt.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Getting beans is amazingly easier in this game, mainly thanks to the amiibo. I was able to brew all 7 types of drinks at the cafe at once & twice now, I've ran into the issue of having 99 Chuckle Beans & had to go to the cafe to get rid of some so I could collect more of them via digging them up.

Also man, I forgot just how quickly paced this game gets at times. "Oh, I already get to learn this? OH, I'm at the part where you do this new bros. move already?" Probably why I loved replaying it as a kid.

Yukinari

They got rid of the movie posters in the theater that referenced other nintendo games.

Now all they reference is the other M&L games. Cause you know, Dream Team is so beloved that we need to get rid of references to much better games.

They got rid of the movie posters in the theater that referenced other nintendo games.

Now all they reference is the other M&L games. Cause you know, Dream Team is so beloved that we need to get rid of references to much better games.
I like Dream Team though, so this is a welcome change over something like Starfy.

Berordn

I too mourn the loss of generic posters of Wario and Kirby.

I got to the Yoshi Theater today and I think the new posters are awesome. One of the characters there even mentions (as in the original game) that a new action flick called “Mario and Luigi” is coming to cinemas, so it makes sense to have an expanded roster of posters.

On top of that, the posters themselves are brand new art of the games. Partners in Time’s poster is great while not screaming PiT, and even Dream Team’s is more of a subtle nod to the universe than the game itself.

R0ckman

The Boney DK in the pirate ship for the barrel mini game also got replaced with a generic bone npc.

I’ve never played the original so I’m looking forward to this. My friend who is a huge superstar saga fan said they slowed down the bros moves. Is that true? Was anything dumbed down?

Kouriozan

Oh man, I just saw that Luigi's Mansion sequel tease in Bowser's Minions about
E.Gadd who built a time machine and talking about next adventure iirc
Well I really hope it's a tease.

TI82

Banned
God I want to play this and Metroid so bad but I am so done with the 3ds. I really hope they release switch versions by next summer or I'll just buy them.

Berordn

Oh man, I just saw that Luigi's Mansion sequel tease in Bowser's Minions about
E.Gadd who built a time machine and talking about next adventure iirc
Well I really hope it's a tease.

It's actually a direct reference to Partners in Time. E. Gadd built the time machine that starts the whole thing.

R0ckman

Any reason they keep shoehorning starlow into the games? She doesn't seem to add much of anything besides Luigi abuse, minimizing how awesome he can be, which the first game does rather well.

Made absolutely no sense that she was in Paper Jam or Dream Team. The pillow guy was enough, and they simply could have added Paper Luigi as a playable bro and he talk for the party since he can talk in in the PM series, but they seem to have been content with making him useless in the M&L crossover too.

Edit: Oh, Paper Luigi was actually axed because it would have been hard to use all 4 buttons apparently. Meh dont remember having an issue with that in PiT.

The shroom badges were needed in The original Japanese version, and the remake is based on that

Wow, that explains so much. Thanks!

I just gave the page on The Cutting Room Floor for the original release a read and there are heaps of little changes made to the Japanese version of the original, from sprite adjustments to the addition of heart blocks to rebalanced stats for gear and items, all of which are in the remake that I thought were new.

One thing I didn't realise before was that SS had an international release back in 2003, which is rare for a text-heavy RPG and probably explains why the Japanese version is more refined. An earlier version of the game was probably used as a base for the localisation programming, while Alphadream added adjustments before the game went gold for Japan, I presume.

Regardless, I now know why red peppers aren't as OP as I remember them being...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Any reason they keep shoehorning starlow into the games? She doesn't seem to add much of anything besides Luigi abuse, minimizing how awesome he can be, which the first game does rather well.

I don't mind Starlow but she was annoying in Papar Jam as she wasn't needed and was far too mean towards Luigi.

Bowser respect Luigi after the event of Dream Team even making the effort of remembering his name, Starlow is officially worse than Bowser.

Wow, that explains so much. Thanks!

I just gave the page on The Cutting Room Floor for the original release a read and there are heaps of little changes made to the Japanese version of the original, from sprite adjustments to the addition of heart blocks to rebalanced stats for gear and items, all of which are in the remake that I thought were new.

One thing I didn't realise before was that SS had an international release back in 2003, which is rare for a text-heavy RPG and probably explains why the Japanese version is more refined. An earlier version of the game was probably used as a base for the localisation programming, while Alphadream added adjustments before the game went gold for Japan, I presume.

They also did it again with Partners in Time, which led to the US version being a lot harder as bosses had more hit points.

If I bought just one amiibo for this game which one should it be? Bad guys and good guy amiibos do different things. Would I be missing out on anything if I just picked up a random Mario one?

I used Boo to get the badge, and then Mario (Doc), Luigi (Smash), Peach (Mario), Toad (Mario), Bowser (Smash) and Yoshi (Blue Yarn) to get 3 of each bean for each of them. I don't have Jr, Koopa or Goomba, so I don't know what having the entire set does.

Boo also gave me a golden Boo commander in Minion mode, but I haven't really put any time into that.

I was disappointed Wario and Waluigi didn't do anything. So far this Waluigi amiibo hasn't really done anything.

I wanted Koopa and Goomba, but I forget they were coming out and now they're too expensive heh

I think a cheapo Mario amiibo would work to get the badge. Looks like Toad is the cheapest on Amazon right now, with Bowser being only a dollar more. I think the badge is for scanning any compatible amiibo.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wiggler is an awful boss. A solid 20 minute, tedious fight.

I dunno, I found it to be quick and easy than my first playthrough on the GBA and I goofed up in the 3DS version as I forgot that when the bros learn a new field move they learn a new Bros. attack so I never unlocked the super version till after the fight when I started using them.

Beat Superstar Saga yesterday. All in all a superb remake, the updated visuals and feature make the game feel fresh while preserving the feel of the original game and my memories of it.

I managed to beat the final boss on my second try, but I really just lucked out as I didn't have to face off against the Arms attack. Due to the boss now being rendered in polygonal 3D (the only enemy in the game, I will add) I found the swinging arms attack to be unfair - it's one area of the game that would have been enhanced by a 3D effect.

I had a look through the credits of the game and the battle designer used to work at Tri-Ace on Resonance of Fate and Valkyrie Profile 2, while Alphadream also hired someone that worked on Rune Factory. There are still Alphadream staffers who were there from the beginning - some had worked on older stuff like Hamtaro: Ham Ham Games for instance, and of course the original Superstar Saga.

Going to finish Bowser's Minions later today - just at the
Fawful battle
which I presume is right near the end.

Fuck this goddamn final boss. Whoever designed this, die.

It took me months to beat it back on GBA. Thankfully you can restart from the second phase on this version.

I managed to beat it using:
-Great Force on Luigi (with gear boosting defence)
-The bowtie on Mario that doubles Stache
-one badge for Mario and Luigi each that replenish 100% of BP used if a Bros Attack is pulled off with an Excellent rating

Kinsei

Banned
Every additional amiibo after the first gives you 3 of every bean type. It's ridiculous. It's probably the most blatant cheating amiibo have ever felt.

Damn. I guess I won't be using my amiibo when I play the game.

I like Dream Team though, so this is a welcome change over something like Starfy.

Starfy is great though. Speaking of Starfy, they should really make a new one. It's been nearly a decade since Starfy 5.

The real Super Mario RPG 2.

Alphadream are amazing Devs, so much love put into this, unlike recent Paper Mario titles...

Color Splash was my personal favourite game of last year. That game had a whole load of love poured into it - while it's no doubt a product of idiosyncratic design (which, in my eyes, gives it character), the dialogue, world design, and presentation were all top notch.

One of Intelligent Systems' best games this gen - up there with Fallblox/Crashmo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, I'm absolutely stumped as to how I get past the gate east of the Yoshi Theater & west of the Teehee Valley entrance. It looks like you can just barely spin jump to a ledge, but nope, & you can have Luigi go underneath because there's a metal floor in front.. I can't remember if I was able to do it as a kid.

Velcro Fly

Having trouble getting the timing down for Mario's first Bros attack. I'm hitting B when the green is around Luigi but it seems like I'm too early maybe? I would love the game to give feedback so I know and can adjust. Otherwise I'm really having fun with the game so far about 90 minutes in.

edit: I got it now. You have to almost wait for Mario to pass Luigi, not when he's directly under him. Real satisfying executing the super bros. attacks.

Top Bottom