• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma teacher turns to panhandling to pay for school supplies

sikkinixx

I spent about $500 this past semester of my own money for my classes. And that's only because I had about $400 covered by the school on top of that. Shit is expensive man. Luckily I worked at a fairly wealthy school so I didn't feel too bad if kids had to spend a bit of money on things for projects (poster board etc)

And damn at only making $35k.

btrboyev

All teachers get paid shit

In every country

Simply isn't true. Unless you consider a teacher in rural MN making $70,000 a year shit.

On the whole they are underpaid and some states are worse than others. But the school I work at which is under 1000 students, the teachers make pretty decent wages $60,000 at their highest with just a Bachelors. $70,000+ with a masters. Neighboring district with more kids make even more.

You also have to consider fantastic benefits. Some of the best insurance available, a great pension and 403b retirement options and after 3 years of teaching at the same school, it's nearly impossible to be let go.

Speevy

Banned
Simply isn't true. Unless you consider a teacher in rural MN making $70,000 a year shit.

On the whole they are underpaid and some states are worse than others. But the school I work at which is under 1000 students, the teachers make pretty decent wages $60,000 at their highest with just a Bachelors. $70,000+ with a masters. Neighboring district with more kids make even more.

You also have to consider fantastic benefits. Some of the best insurance available, a great pension and 403b retirement options and after 3 years of teaching at the same school, it's nearly impossible to be let go.

*plane.jpg, but couldn't afford plane ticket*

JJD

This is the biggest crime being committed against America right now. Repercussions will last generations.

I can't understand how republicans can support this.

Shadybiz

We should indeed put more in the federal budget for education.

But...fuck it. Let's build ourselves a few stealth bombers and be legends.

WillyFive

This is the biggest crime being committed against America right now. Repercussions will last generations.

Republicans promote the idea that teachers are the enemy, because they teach stuff like evolution to the children of conservative parents.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
What grade?

Depending on the structure of the class, I can see why it wouldn't be necessary to take them home. Especially with concerns over the physical strain the kids have to bear--even in the 90's I know of some elementaries that were making kids use rolling luggage instead of backpacks.

Homework.

Wait people went to schools where you weren't expected to buy supplies for the class?

That was the standard at my elementary school at least. Had to buy stuff like paper towels and kleenex because the school didn't provide it. Every student's parents had to pitch in.

F34R

I try and help out each year. One teacher for a student that has a dear place in my heart was needing things to help kids learn to read, connect to the Internet (they are underprivileged low income families), and I bought her 6 kindle fire hd tablets, cases, and screen protectors. She's been using them for a few years now and she says it's helped her underprivileged kids tremendously learning to read, technology, and what the Internet even is.

I also bought a really nice drum set and donated it to the school band because the one they had was from when I was in high school (23 ago)!! It was ragged and taped up, etc.

When we were in 12th grade, in Spanish 4 class, we had to teach a 1st grade class basic Spanish; numbers, colors, animals, things that they were learning in English now, but in Spanish. Well, all the students bought a bunch of supplies to do our projects so that the main teacher didn't have to.

It's terrible how underfunded our schools are.

Violet_0

Banned
I remember seeing a statistic that showed that the US is investing far more money per student than any other country

I remember seeing a statistic that showed that the US is investing far more money per student than any other country

figure-cmd-1.png

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

One major problem is that the sheer size of the US equates to less efficient spending.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Beyond sad and shameful that in this nation, this is so common in every state pretty much. We've got our priorities all fucked up in this country.

It can depend on the school when it comes to that. My current school, in a poor area to, gives me anything I need and usually already has stuff before I know I need it. My old one would only let us copy 500 pages a month so we all had to hid a copier from to admin, they forgot about it, to use.

WillyFive

Wait people went to schools where you weren't expected to buy supplies for the class?

That was the standard at my elementary school at least. Had to buy stuff like paper towels and kleenex because the school didn't provide it. Every student's parents had to pitch in.

Yes. And it's a problem. Office workers aren't expected to buy their own computers. Pilots aren't expected to buy their passenger's emergency floating devices.

bounchfx

Our education system is so fucked. Why it isn't a top priority for our government is baffling. Gotta spend them bucks on military and dumb shit. Teachers should never have to buy supplies themselves to give their students the full curriculum.

they want people to be dumb
easier to manipulate

entremet

Our education system is mostly funded by property taxes, which are not that reliable and are a rather poor lever.

Betsy DeVos bro, they not only support it, they want to completely dismantle the whole system.

America where 95% of the teachers are paid and treated like shit and 5% of districts are insanely overpaid and nothing short of visual evidence of actually fucking a student can get you fired.

Shit is fuuuuuuucked.

As someone who's lived in Oklahoma for a while now, i can say that the school system here is a national embarrassment. The Oklahoma Teacher of the Year for 2017 just moved to Texas to teach because the salary here is so low.

Top Bottom