• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans vote to move ahead on Obamacare repeal

leroidys

Aren't there multiple bills and amendments being brought forward? None of them are what I would consider good options but to state that "a specific Republican repeal plan" is being brought up to a vote is 100% bullshit unless something changes.
From the article
Republicans would aim to enact a bill repealing three parts of Obamacare: the individual and employer mandates and the medical device tax, according to Republican sources. It could be expanded or altered depending on where the bulk of the conference is.

"Whatever gets to 50," said Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.).

The goal would be to get an Obamacare repeal bill through the Senate and to a conference with the House.

My Obamacare isn't saving me money at this point, as its roughly the same price as other options out there. When Obamacare began, in that first year, it was great for me. Now its horribly overpriced. I'm willing to take my chances with whatever plan the Republicans come up with because if its worse than Obamacare well, its not much of a loss.
Every healthcare plan that they have introduced has been worse. Trumpcare will for sure be much worse. Let's chat when we know the details.

IrishNinja

aQ0g79K_d.jpg

you dug deep here, and it was worth it

Aren't there multiple bills and amendments being brought forward? None of them are what I would consider good options but to state that "a specific Republican repeal plan" is being brought up to a vote is 100% bullshit unless something changes.

I don't think there's such a thing as a motion to proceed without a specific measure to be debated.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wait... what? If you pay 300 or 600 per month or whatever, you still have to pay on top of that for the surgery? What kind of insurance is that?

Yea insurance only covers a portion of the cost, often a great chunk of it, but not 100%(copayments).

On top of that, some programs would require a deductible to be paid off before they start fronting for higher percentages of your bills. So you may have a $5000 deductible which would require that paid out of pocket(over-time) during visits or medical procedures first, before your bills and copays lighten. It's kind of a way to prevent people from signing up for insurance only when necessary or to ensure they stay on long-term and add to the greater pool. There is a logic to it(rewarded for long-term support), but it's very flawed and for many, insurance is devastating to newcomers on the wallet without employment backing.

One of the dangers the GOP is pushing is that deductibles will skyrocket meaning insurance is all but worthless as so many won't be able to reap benefits fully until that barrier is taken care of. Monthly payments, plus bills, plus deductibles...

My guess is that they move the bill as far to the right as possible to get Paul, then dare Heller, Capito, and Portman to vote against it.

Lose Collins and Murkowski, pass it 51-50 like the MTP.

Did you cut out the part where they will be bringing up the 2015 repeal bill, the Senate bill, and god knows whatever other amendments members want a vote on?

Does it really matter? But they're obviously going to have to start from some concrete proposed legislation before they can hold votes and/or debate and then rapid-fire alternatives until they get something through.

People will take more offense to the internet berating McCain than the harm this bill will do. I wish I had the luxury to not fear for me or my friend's healthcare.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fucking McCain.

What a spineless, hateful coward. I'm disgusted by him. Cancer sucks, and I certainly don't wish it on anyone, but fuck that fucking asshole. Way to fuck over millions of Americans because your ticket has been punched. No respect for that man, veteran or not. I have veterans in my family, and in the families of my friends that have fought, bled, and died for this country. They deserve my respect and gratitude. Not this fuckface.

Snaku

Banned
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/889944680686813185

Wow lady, there's still a chance he bites down on Trump's youknowwhat and takes it with to the after life. Talk about legacy!

giphy.gif

No, he needs to have this shit thrown in his face and have it be made clear in no uncertain terms that this is what he's going to be remembered for after he croaks. Does he want to be remembered for taking access to healthcare away from millions of Americans, dooming many of them to die unnecessary deaths?

Tigress

This is exactly why I don't really feel sympathy for McCain

Yep. Fuck him. He didn't just become a good man because he got sick. And I was kinda sick of people talking about him like he was.

Maybe one time in his life he was a good man but at this point what he is now is more important cause what he is doing now is what is affecting this country.

Darknight

Kinda of weird to see everyone wishing John McCain the best on the other thread and then say to fuck him on this one like a few days later.

Not for anything but whatever McCain goes through, its karma. He may have served for the country in the past but this vote is like the biggest F you to americans. He would rather put his party before country. Seems politics have poisoned how he was once was.

Mechazawa

Enjoy the ground, you old fuck.

Kinda of weird to see everyone wishing John McCain the best on the other thread and then say to fuck him on this one like a few days later.

I bet if you cross-referenced the bleeding hearts in that thread with this one, they'd be nowhere to be found.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I respected McCain, so far as Repubs go, a couple of decades ago

Dude has straight clowned me ever since, what an ass he turned out to be

BCRA pretty much sent out to die tonight, the "skinny repeal" (repeal the mandate only, basically) is what they're really hoping to pass.

Might be worth noting that Rand Paul expected a clean repeal vote to come first.

Fucking McCain.

What a spineless, hateful coward. I'm disgusted by him. Cancer sucks, and I certainly don't wish it on anyone, but fuck that fucking asshole. Way to fuck over millions of Americans because your ticket has been punched. No respect for that man, veteran or not. I have veterans in my family, and in the families of my friends that have fought, bled, and died for this country. They deserve my respect and gratitude. Not this fuckface.

Well said.

Like Snaku said, this type of shit is what many will remember him for too. Fuck this asshole.

Yep. Fuck him. He didn't just become a good man because he got sick. And I was kinda sick of people talking about him like he was.

Maybe one time in his life he was a good man but at this point what he is now is more important cause what he is doing now is what is affecting this country.

This. Fuck him. He and they don't give a shit about people and they've had countless repeat offenses to prove it.

This will come just on the jobs cult front, which will bleed into healthcare as that's still largely linked to employment for most people.

Loss of jobs = loss of life by our own valuation systems. This is already unfolding with tens of millions of people drowning.

And this is before the ship sinks...

The response won't come on the downward curve, it'll comes when we hit the bottom. So basically when the ship has sunk not while it's sinking. While it's sinking half of America will still be screaming "there's nothing to see here"

Tigress

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/889944680686813185

Wow lady, there's still a chance he bites down on Trump's youknowwhat and takes it with to the after life. Talk about legacy!

Ha .. hahahahahah. It's McCain. That chance would be .01%. Im not going to say he will never do that, no one is 100% predictable. But you're fooling yourself if you think there is a realistic chance of that.

And good for her. I mean just cause he's dieing doesn't mean we should give him a free pass for the shit he is doing. And I'll even say it, I don't care he's dieing. I didn't care when it was announced. And I don't see why I should care. I don't know him, he's just a politician to me, anything good he has done is way in the past, and who he is now is not anything good. So why should I feel sad? Whatever good person he was is already gone anyways.

KoopaTheCasual

Reuters Top News‏Verified account @Reuters 1d

BREAKING: Majority of Senate votes against Republican proposal to repeal Obamacare with two-year delay. http://reut.rs/2tEj6iK

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/890301499338887169

Any updates? Kinda crazy to me how we're in rapid fire with this healthcare debate, and this thread is several pages back.

Edit: My link says 1 Day ago, but it's from 1pm. My computer has a weird clock issue.

Top Bottom