• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

grmlin

Got an T95 yesterday. Now I can enjoy being easily overtaken by Maus and getting one-shot frontally by Jagdtiger (although maybe it was a lucky shot). Also, I'm the new number 1 target for bombers.

haha, yes, saw one the battlefield yesterday. This thing can be flanked even by my Tiger Porsche :D
Is the gun capable at least?

Did Gaijin ever say if they plan to nerf bombs/planes in AB? They are way overpowered and getting bombed 3 times in a match, two times almost immediately after spawning, is very frustrating... I played RB because of rage after that, but these battles last so long, I need to grind! :D

haha, yes, saw one the battlefield yesterday. This thing can be flanked even by my Tiger Porsche :D
Is the gun capable at least?

Did Gaijin ever say if they plan to nerf bombs/planes in AB? They are way overpowered and getting bombed 3 times in a match, two times almost immediately after spawning, is very frustrating... I played RB because of rage after that, but these battles last so long, I need to grind! :D

The gun should be good, but not with the default ammo. Also it seems like with default modules the gun is pretty inaccurate as well, a bit like the 10.5 cm gun version of Tiger 2, which was a huge downgrade from Tiger 2(H), until you got the module upgrades.

Gaijin's idea of bomber nerf was the 10 second delay for bombs in arcade. Which is one of the reason bombers target big and slow tanks these days :)

grmlin

It's definitely not 10 seconds most of the time. I don't know about the bombs you only hear and never see lying around on the ground, but the others... I have a feeling that they explode faster the lower you fly.
Furthermore, I can accept to blow up if I stand still and the bomb detonates right at my side, but their radius is way to high.

Anyway, I would love a playlist without planes in Arcade so so much :(

It's definitely not 10 seconds most of the time. I don't know about the bombs you only hear and never see lying around on the ground, but the others... I have a feeling that they explode faster the lower you fly.
Furthermore, I can accept to blow up if I stand still and the bomb detonates right at my side, but their radius is way to high.

Anyway, I would love a playlist without planes in Arcade so so much :(

10 seconds from when it starts dropping, so bombs dropped from high altitude explode soon after contact with ground. Sometimes it feels like a suicide bomber killed you, but it was actually rockets shot at point blank range...

Usually if it looks like there are lots of bombers flying around, I'll switch to SPAAG after I get killed. American M19 is a great SPAA vehicle, I've started getting more kills with it than with Kugelblitz. Soon I should have M42 Duster, which is the next in line for American SPAAG, hopefully it's even better.

grmlin

Well, than things just feel different... And I know that there are rockets, too. Normally, only kamikaze pilots are capable of killing you with one of these though :(

Well, as they will not remove Planes from AB I hope they will at least address kamikaze planes in some way. I think I would be killed a lot less by planes then. Most of the time the killing plane crashes into me, I would say at least 80%. (Bombers excluded, of course)

Well, than things just feel different... And I know that there are rockets, too. Normally, only kamikaze pilots are capable of killing you with one of these though :(

Well, as they will not remove Planes from AB I hope they will at least address kamikaze planes in some way. I think I would be killed a lot less by planes then. Most of the time the killing plane crashes into me, I would say at least 80%. (Bombers excluded, of course)

The arcade event that ran during last weekend had instantly exploding bombs, it was painful compared to the delayed ones now that I've gotten used to them... The plane that hits you doesn't actually do a lot of damage, you can try it yourself by flying into a medium tank, and see if it receives more than just a bit of track damage. If the crew is not protected by a roof you obviosuly can make a bit more damage, unfortunately a lot of SPAA units are like that.

Wace

10 seconds from when it starts dropping, so bombs dropped from high altitude explode soon after contact with ground.

As far as I remember it depends on the bomb size as well. The bigger the bomb - the longer the fuse, or something like that.
salute.png

I fly only in Tier II-III ABs with tanks, but I can assure you it's not that hard. Actually there's some debate on Russian forum right now regarding changing requirements for bomber/attacker spawn, since good attackers can take up to 5 vehicles with their rockets, and are better at evading fighters & AA fire, as compared with bombers who need slow targets, preferrably in column mode.

I personally, assuming that roulette gives me IL-2, usually take out no less than two vehicles with four being personal record (the last one was some german AA I ravaged with cannons).
storm.gif

And as soon as they introduce PTABs and their likes to the game (promised to be delivered as soon as they develop "drop all" mode for bombers) it would become even easier.

grmlin

I did not want to say it's hard to hit someone with a rocket ;)

I tried to say, that almost every time someone attacks me, he crashes on top of my head afterwards. And no matter what tank I'm driving, something breaks, for sure.

I have to use those planes more often I think. Normally I don't bother too much, I mean, I'm sitting in tank, holding the front lines, right? :D

Wace

I tried to say, that almost every time someone attacks me, he crashes on top of my head afterwards.

That's the problem with aviation in tank battles: only some people fly them till the end of the timer, the ones who are better pilots than tanks. You have what, 40 seconds? After you've spent the bombs/rockets - that's less than 20 secs usually - you're just food for fighters and AA guns. So most of the tankers just drop the load, crash the plane, and return to their lovely vehicle as soon as possible. Clever gameplay wise, but crazy-looking from the realism perspective.

There's no solution to the problem now, since there's no good way to distinguish kamikaze run from just being defeated by opposition (or being bad pilot).

You have to pay the (sadly random instead of full) repair cost for the tank you are returning to. Most don't know or care, it seems. I sadly crash most if the time I'm doing a rocket attack, but with bombers I stay up and scout for enemy positions. I've successfully marked flanking enemies for friendlies, or found a wanna be spawn camper.

Wace

I have to ask something else.

Is it only me or do you have to play maps over and over again, too?

It seems that for some reasons randomizer loves to repeat maps several times, both for ground and air, especially when you play non-stop. People are complaining constantly about this, but I haven't seen any developer response on that, so they either don't recognize it as a problem or can't fix it (I doubt that, it's like one line of code).

grmlin

Ok, so it's not me, good ;)

Regarding the bombs: I started counting, the last one took roughly 1,5s from doing sounds to explosion. But the server is laggy as hell for me atm, I think thats the reason.

I must play each map twice in a row typically. I'm using EU and US servers, and seems like it happens even when I'm on same server both times.

More than twice is rare though.

grmlin

Three times kuban, now Normandy the fifth time in a row. I don't know, this can't be the intended behavior 😉

Three times kuban, now Normandy the fifth time in a row. I don't know, this can't be the intended behavior ��

Yeah, maybe it's a good idea to restart the game if that starts to happen.

Man, T95 really sucks. As with others 100mm and 105mm guns, the default ammo doesn't do much damage and there seems to be a known to all weak spot in the cupola. A 88mm gun will one shot you if it has time to aim. And as this tank is so slow, usually it does.

The American light tank event that is going on is pretty fun. At first I was usually numer 1 or 2 of my team, but either people learnt to play these crazy tanks or my ping rised above certain level, but now I can't seem to do enough damage when I shoot at enemies...

grmlin

Yes restarting might help. Will try that next time. Normandy is great though, so I was OK with that.

Some maps really do need some work in some match types. And hell in Corellian, all those tankers sitting I this first corner. Good thing is, normally you can rush to the cap in the center without anyone joining you😉

grmlin

One last thing about the silent bombs. This heavily depends on the map for me. Berlin for example, I think I never hear them there.

I still enjoy that Tiger Porsche, when you are perfectly positioned, nearly everything bounces. Only the crew is not as resistant as the front armor, gets knocked out a lot.

One last thing about the silent bombs. This heavily depends on the map for me. Berlin for example, I think I never hear them there.

I still enjoy that Tiger Porsche, when you are perfectly positioned, nearly everything bounces. Only the crew is not as resistant as the front armor, gets knocked out a lot.

Do you have your crew vitality raised? It's a good idea to spend a few crew points there, and is seems like your crew can take a small shell through the chest and only receive some yellow damage. And HE filled shells don't do as much damage to the crew... of course, a Russian 122mm APHE will kill about anyone still.

Okay, I got a M42 Duster yesterday. Level V American SPAAG, this thing is pretty awesome. It's like M19, but you don't have to be as accurate. Looks like it one-shots most planes. Next I should concentrate on getting a Panther II so I'll be ready when Leo 1 gets released.

grmlin

Sounds good :) I like shooting planes in Arcade, feels good to get them down before they bomb someone. Or at least shoot them afterwards.

Yesterday I was a little bored with those big and slow T4 tanks and gave the americans a try. Lol, it's like driving racing cars on the battlefield. Very much fun, too. Not the greatest guns, but they are so fast it's easy to flank anyone.

I'll stick to them for the moment, hopefully the lottery drops a talisman again to speed up the grind :D

Sounds good :) I like shooting planes in Arcade, feels good to get them down before they bomb someone. Or at least shoot them afterwards.

Yesterday I was a little bored with those big and slow T4 tanks and gave the americans a try. Lol, it's like driving racing cars on the battlefield. Very much fun, too. Not the greatest guns, but they are so fast it's easy to flank anyone.

I'll stick to them for the moment, hopefully the lottery drops a talisman again to speed up the grind :D

America has so few tanks at the moment (compared to Soviet and German) that getting to tier IV is pretty quick even without talismans. But yeah, the tier 1 American tanks are insanely fast, and you see people using them also in later tiers to quickly take cap points.

1.51 is live, go get the Leopard :D

I didn't expect it to come so soon, my Panther 2 is less than 50% researched :( I think T-10 will be easier to get as I already have the IS-4.

Played a couple of rounds with the new tier 1 tanks... The German Pz.35 was good enough, but the Russian T-26-4 is pretty amusing. Tier 1 derp gun :) I killed a couple of regular T-26s with a frag granade from >600 meters.

grmlin

New sounds (I hear the planes much better now!), new UI (nice little pictogram of your tank), Finland is cool. Very nice!

grmlin

Is it's worth to stick to the american tanks? I really have a hard time enjoying these... BRs are really spread, the M3 I don't like... does it get better?

Is it's worth to stick to the american tanks? I really have a hard time enjoying these... BRs are really spread, the M3 I don't like... does it get better?

Yes and no, there are quite many variants of Sherman that you go through, and before you get the 76mm gun, they are quite underwhelming for a while. But there are interesting non-Sherman vehicles that make it all worthwhile IMO. And it's not necessarily as bad as all those T-34s and Panzer IV variants.

Sherman M4A1 is very good for that BR, and M10 and M18 Hellcat are interesting vehicles that other nations don't have. Walker Bulldog is fun, 76mm Jumbo is good (Although you have to fight Tigers all the time). M26 is a pretty good medium tank at 6.7, but T32 is pretty mediocre heavy tank at 7.0.... M36 is bit shit compared to other tank destroyers due to its high BR, but T95 is again pretty interesting (I had a couple of good games with it yesterday).

Looks like I haven't spaded M3 yet either, maybe it wasn't that good. M10 is a beast though..

edit:
There are lots of nice little improvements in this version. I like the new status display, and the new plane sounds are great. I had 5 games in Finland map, and it looks like a great map.

grmlin

I will wait for a day with decent connection. I had matches with lag so bad, all my hits did not count and I got shot 2-5 seconds before the enemy popped up.

I hope these are the normal server hiccups after such an update....

Finland is great, yes. Finally a map for my white tank :D

grmlin

Yes and no, there are quite many variants of Sherman that you go through, and before you get the 76mm gun, they are quite underwhelming for a while. But there are interesting non-Sherman vehicles that make it all worthwhile IMO. And it's not necessarily as bad as all those T-34s and Panzer IV variants.

Sherman M4A1 is very good for that BR, and M10 and M18 Hellcat are interesting vehicles that other nations don't have. Walker Bulldog is fun, 76mm Jumbo is good (Although you have to fight Tigers all the time). M26 is a pretty good medium tank at 6.7, but T32 is pretty mediocre heavy tank at 7.0.... M36 is bit shit compared to other tank destroyers due to its high BR, but T95 is again pretty interesting (I had a couple of good games with it yesterday).

Looks like I haven't spaded M3 yet either, maybe it wasn't that good. M10 is a beast though..

edit:
There are lots of nice little improvements in this version. I like the new status display, and the new plane sounds are great. I had 5 games in Finland map, and it looks like a great map.

So, I played US tanks a little more.

That M16 MGMC AA Truck is awesome! Shoots planes like crazy. Most fun I had until now in a AA tank.

The M4A1 is nice, too. But the M4A3 (105) is one of the worst tanks I played in the game. I think I will skip this and BR4, and level with the AA truck and the M4A1 until something better pops up... At least the tanks are all quite maneuverable, that's a plus...

Yesterday I was called a cheater and someone told me he reported me. So I think I'm getting better :D

M4A3 (105) is indeed crap. The German StuH is maybe even worse, it's similar low powered HE slugger... At least an angled Sherman is a bit more difficult to kill, and it can kill tier II T-34s with some effort.

Someone sent me an PSN message saying "camp much???" after I killed him while protecting a capture point once. You're not supposed to protect your capture points any longer?

grmlin

There are maps where anything but camping is committing suicide if the first objectives are taken. In Mozdok for example, once teams are settled, passing a hill will make ~5 tanks shooting you.
Finland is also sniper heaven, as you can nearly shoot across the map at some points.

Panther F is the worst thing ever. I played 20 matches, and always had to fight BR 6.7 enemies, and sometimes BR 7.0 enemies. And I mean every time.

I just started playing this game again after a three month hiatus. Having lots of fun in Tier 2 and Tier 3 Ground Forces again. I've been focusing mainly on German and US tanks, they're a bit more challenging than the Soviets.

Panther F is the worst thing ever. I played 20 matches, and always had to fight BR 6.7 enemies, and sometimes BR 7.0 enemies. And I mean every time.

Right now it seems that Tier 4/Tier 5 is overcrowded with two many tanks and not enough space in the Battle Rating. Now we have Tiger II's running into T-54 mod. 1947's. It's too easy for late war tanks to run into post war tanks.

Pretty soon Gaijin is either gonna have to raise the BR cap above 8.0, reduce BR spread to +/- 0.7, or both.

Right now it seems that Tier 4/Tier 5 is overcrowded with two many tanks and not enough space in the Battle Rating. Now we have Tiger II's running into T-54 mod. 1947's. It's too easy for late war tanks to run into post war tanks.

Pretty soon Gaijin is either gonna have to raise the BR cap above 8.0, reduce BR spread to +/- 0.7, or both.

Yeah, I fully expected them to raise BR cap with this latest update, but they chose T-10, Leo 1 and M-60 to have unrealistically weak armors instead. BR 6.7 is very overcrowded after Ferdinand and Panther II were lowered there. Gaijin could also configure servers to make BR 6.7 only matches when possible, so those tanks wouldn't overflow as much to the neighboring BR ranges.

grmlin

The last days I constantly had to fight against 80% of the team +0.7/1 BR. I don't mind if it happens from time to time, but being underpowered all the time is frustrating.

The last days I constantly had to fight against 80% of the team +0.7/1 BR. I don't mind if it happens from time to time, but being underpowered all the time is frustrating.

Yeah, I gave up and started using my Maus lineup when grinding Panther 2 (still 100k RP to go...). I'm not very good with Maus, but at least I get more kills than with Panther F. And being BR 8.0 tank, it's the top dog, so you don't have to worry about fighting +1BR opponents.

grmlin

What's making it even worse is the fact, that I never get down tiered. Can't remember a match where I did not have to fight tiger 2s, this 10,5 cm thing, Ferdinands and what not...

I'm pretty sure though, wenn I take a 6,7 or 7 lineup into battle, this won't happen...

What's making it even worse is the fact, that I never get down tiered. Can't remember a match where I did not have to fight tiger 2s, this 10,5 cm thing, Ferdinands and what not...

I'm pretty sure though, wenn I take a 6,7 or 7 lineup into battle, this won't happen...

With 6.7 you're fine, but with 7.0 you get br 8.0 opponents half the time. I managed to do pretty well with 10.5cm Tiger 2, which is 7.0, but killing IS-4 and Maus opponents is pretty damn hard with it.

grmlin

Yeah, I think in upper tiers the +- 1BR spread is just too much...

The Ferdinand for example. I can't do shit about it if it's positioned well enough. And flanking it is impossible most of the times.

Yeah, I think in upper tiers the +- 1BR spread is just too much...

The Ferdinand for example. I can't do shit about it if it's positioned well enough. And flanking it is impossible most of the times.

Ferdinand is killable from the front with a Tiger E for example, but you may have to use APCR, which means you have to score several hits. And Ferdinand only needs one good hit to kill a Tiger E... But yeah, Ferdinand would probably be better suited at BR 7.0.

Finally got my Panther 2, and suffering through Panther F may have been worth it. This thing is totally OP for BR6.7, and totally awesome. After first two games I have 10 kills and died once, it seems like even the default ammo one-shots almost everything. And this thing is fast like a T-34.

grmlin

Congratulations! Every time I see one of these in my 6.0 tanks I try to escape 😁😁😁

To won another talisman for the locust, lol. Funny little tank

Congratulations! Every time I see one of these in my 6.0 tanks I try to escape 😁😁😁

To won another talisman for the locust, lol. Funny little tank

Few unlucky matches and it's down to 15 kills and 5 deaths. Sigh. And the gun is actually the same as in Tiger II, so I was just lucky during the first few matches. Oh well, the speed is still refreshing, I think this is little faster than T-44 actually. Not as fast as Locust tho, that thing is insane :)

I only have 3 non-premium German tanks to research, Leopard I, Coelian (actually half done) and Jagdtiger. I Jagdtiger seems to be the most difficult to kill German tank frontally at the moment, I kind of want to try it, but Leo 1 must come first. Then I have 4 US tanks and 5 Soviet tanks left...

grmlin

Lol. The server went totally bananas and tanks were flying and dancing across the map... The famous lag dance :D

Edit: I'm a little frustrated, I have no idea how to grind in the upper tiers at the moment. The matchmaking got so bad for me, I don't do shit in these matches. I tried it all, heavy tanks, sniping, flanking with faster tanks... doesn't really matter, because I face enemies with +0.7/1.0 BR all the time... This was not like that before...

Edit: I'm a little frustrated, I have no idea how to grind in the upper tiers at the moment. The matchmaking got so bad for me, I don't do shit in these matches. I tried it all, heavy tanks, sniping, flanking with faster tanks... doesn't really matter, because I face enemies with +0.7/1.0 BR all the time... This was not like that before...

You mean grinding the modules or new tanks? Getting the modules gets very slow by tier IV. I still don't have all modules for IS-2 '44, and I'm already researching T-10. And most of my upper tier Soviet tank destroyers don't don't have more than half of their updates... In German side I'm getting modules a bit faster, but getting new tanks is still slow. You shouldn't have it as bad with your premium Tiger around :)

BR 6.0 and 6.3 seem to be very unlucky ratings... they almost always get better opponents. Maybe 6.0 is not quite as bad as 6.3 (Panther F), which was very painful for me. At least Russians have IS-2 at BR 6.0, which can take out much better tanks (IS-3 and IS-4 may actually still have that same gun). And T-44 is fast enough to flank anything.

grmlin

Hmmm,
how much XP do you earn in a normal game? I don't mean these rare games that sometimes happen where you are on a killing trip...

Hmmm,
how much XP do you earn in a normal game? I don't mean these rare games that sometimes happen where you are on a killing trip...

I have premium, so I get +100% or something similar. And it depends on winning or losing also... not sure how much the victory bonus is, maybe 75%?. But mostly I get 2000-3500 RP maybe, if I play non-spaded non-premium and not-my-favourite tanks. Every once in a while you get 5000 and every once in a while you get one-shotted and bombed, and your team sucks, so you get less than 1000.

grmlin

Ok, I feel better now :D That's what I achieve most of the time, too.

BTW: Don't buy the premium tiger for realistic battles. It's so slow slow slow in everything, not much fun. Arcade is much better.
When the Tiger was new in my garage, the matchmaking was way better for me. I got about 5-6k XP every round with it... maybe no one is grinding 6.0 atm, that would explain why I uptier all the time.

Ok, I feel better now :D That's what I achieve most of the time, too.

BTW: Don't buy the premium tiger for realistic battles. It's so slow slow slow in everything, not much fun. Arcade is much better.
When the Tiger was new in my garage, the matchmaking was way better for me. I got about 5-6k XP every round with it... maybe no one is grinding 6.0 atm, that would explain why I uptier all the time.

I have sometimes thought that the matchmaker gives you bit of a break the first few games you play with a new tank, like puts you in good team against bad team, or boosts your ammo up a bit. But nah, it hasn't happened every time. My first matches with Maus and T-32 were disastrous.

The amount of RP you get is heavily influenced by the difficulty level you select:
Russian server: hard
EU server: normal
US server: easy

I gave up playing on the Russian server, the language barrier of course was another reason.

I seem to do pretty well with some tanks, like Tiger 2 (H), where I get over 5k RP in most games. And when IS-3 was in 7.0 I got even more...

Top Bottom