• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why did they change Mass Effect developers in the first place? And why bring such a huge game over to a studio who has never developed something this huge before?

Arulan

The bar has been raised, while BioWare has continued stripping out features and content out of their games.

What bar?

Well before Dragon Age II and any subsequent releases, there exists games such as Baldur's Gate II, Gothic, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Although a popular sentiment, you never needed The Witcher 3 to see through Dragon Age: Inquisition or Fallout 4.

One person is not responsible for this game. The comparison is crazy. Studying for a test is straightforward. Getting hundreds of people to work together over the course of years of bad management and grueling work? Not so straightforward. The people who worked in an environment like that, put in the hours, and produced a game that millions of people are going to enjoy have every right to be proud, lowish Metascore or not.

So they should be proud that the game actually got released? That's an unrealistic low bar to set, and not how the AAA industry works.

Jarmel

Banned
How reliable is that site ? Most of the "cons" sounds likely given the state of the game. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be at Bioware Montreal right now, heads will roll (and probably the wrong as it often the case)

Mac Walters needs to go. I can excuse the other staff but he needs to go. He along with Chris Schlerf had almost near complete freedom to shape the writing however they wanted. This is the best they can come up with after 3-4 years? There can be a whole assortment of reasons as to why there might be bugs/glitches/bad animations however there is zero excuse for the writing, especially the dialogue, being garbage.

cakely

I'd really like some reviews that go more into depth about the Multiplayer. I liked ME3's multiplayer quite a bit, and if ME:A's multiplayer is as good it would go a long way towards selling me a copy.

jtb

Banned
What bar?

Well before Dragon Age II and any subsequent releases, there exists games such as Baldur's Gate II, Gothic, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Although a popular sentiment, you never needed The Witcher 3 to see through Dragon Age: Inquisition or Fallout 4.

I didn't, but reviewers did.

Koh

I think we can almost all agree that this failed to meet ME series expectations. That's not something I'd be happy about if I had worked on it, but I could absolutely be proud of my individual achievements with the game. Some roles seemingly more than others.

I'll continue to be leery of this sort of BIG-NAME-sparse-details marketing style since Fallout 4 and now MEA. They seem to figure that showing the game will only serve to dissuade people from buying it, and rely on the brand and preorders to carry it.

I really liked Mass Effect 2, and to a lesser extent, Mass Effect 3.

Will I like Andromeda or is the game a borefest?
I think you'll think the game is 'ok' but nothing great. The real question is whether you'll feel like you've wasted your money or not. If money isn't an issue and you buy every game you want, then you'll be fine. If on the other hand you pass on some other highly rated game, good, or service to buy Andromeda, I think you'll feel cheated.

Based on the reception, I expect to see price drops relatively soon. EA will want to keep up multiplayer numbers for the microtransactions. Since there isn't anything about Andromeda that screams "Must play now!", I think the best bet for most people is to wait.

ironcreed

Banned
So far I'm enjoying it.

From what I have caved and watched, I honestly think I will as well. Despite whatever warts and niggles may arise. It looks like Mass Effect, with gorgeous locations and combat that is vastly improved upon. And by vastly, I mean imagine Vanquish on steroids with force powers.

Saw this on twitter

img_8088koulv.jpg

:(

Damn. Even Metacritic.

Patrick was right.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/everyone-seems-ready-to-rip-mass-effect-andromeda-to-shreds

joecanada

Ummm, Hello Games made tons of cash off knowingly lying and working to decieve people regarding their product. It's one of the best sellers from the period it launched. They made so much money they're opening their own publishing arm. Lying definitely fucking pays. Long-term it might be a negative, maybe, but it's terrific in the short-term.

Not saying that's the case with Bioware, just pointing out that honest marketing isn't the game changer you'd hope it would be.

Well I mean some people go into business for short term gain I'm sure but I wouldn't recommend it. Generally not worth it but just my opinion and getting off topic.

I expect they'll be working on this game for some time to come. But in the long term I actually wouldn't be surprised to see EA cut their studios down honestly.
(depending totally on sales though of course).

SPCTRE

The reviews on average are pretty analogous to what I would give the game after roughly 6-7 hours.

Of course that means it's a classic 70s or 7/10 kind of game - people are going to have wildly differing reactions to it. Personally, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Especially the noticeable nods to the first game.

Lt-47

Mac Walters needs to go. I can excuse the other staff but he needs to go. He along with Chris Schlerf had almost near complete freedom to shape the writing however they wanted. This is the best they can come up with after 3-4 years? There can be a whole assortment of reasons as to why there might be bugs/glitches/bad animations however there is zero excuse for the writing, especially the dialogue, being garbage.

I used to not be too hard on the guy for the ME3 ending because the game was obviously rushed (and he gave us Garrus). But yeah maybe I was too nice after all. I doubt the "grunt" are to blame in that case

BadManEd

Neo Member
I played the EA access mission, and I honestly cant understand what all the moaning is about, It was never gonna live up to the Shepard series but it seems awesome to me, I would give it 9/10

kewlmyc

I played the EA access mission, and I honestly cant understand what all the moaning is about, It was never gonna live up to the Shepard series but it seems awesome to me, I would give it 9/10

Because this is a review thread for the entire game and not just one trial mission?

Plum

The animations have been discussed to death, rebirth, and then death again so I won't bother with them. Until I eventually play the game proper I just can't hide my disappointment at how such an amazing premise was ruined.

Essentially, Andromeda's basic elevator pitch is "you are head of a group colonizing a far-flung galaxy." That sounds amazing and practically writes itself. Internal politics, mutinies, harsh alien environments, natives you need to negotiate with and understand or kill and conquer. Instead, the game decides to focus on the most generic "chosen one must fight big bad" storyline out there and, as I've explained in other threads, doesn't even accomplish it all that well. Playing through the opening I got no sense of things being alien, or new, I was fighting a race of identical-looking dudes with an evil leader, I was still fighting the Reapers/Geth/Cerberus. Then when I got back to the not-Citadel I just became Shepherd: Slightly Awkward Edition, a guy/girl who has to defeat a faceless alien threat in order to save everyone, I wanted to be Picard: Slightly Awkward Edition instead. The game even sets up a potential power struggle in Cora yet brushes it aside almost immediately.

That its gameplay seems to be so in line with DA:I in terms of overall structure just further adds to my disappointment, but the main thing I dislike is how such a unique subject matter for a story has been completely mishandled.

jyoung188

Man this is such a bummer...

After these reviews, and playing the EA access trial, I'm going to wait for this game to get cheap.

JeffG

The animations have been discussed to death, rebirth, and then death again so I won't bother with them. Until I eventually play the game proper I just can't hide my disappointment at how such an amazing premise was ruined.

Essentially, Andromeda's basic elevator pitch is "you are head of a group colonizing a far-flung galaxy." That sounds amazing and practically writes itself. Internal politics, mutinies, harsh alien environments, natives you need to negotiate with and understand or kill and conquer. Instead, the game decides to focus on the most generic "chosen one must fight big bad" storyline out there and, as I've explained in other threads, doesn't even accomplish it all that well. Playing through the opening I got no sense of things being alien, or new, I was fighting a race of identical-looking dudes with an evil leader, I was still fighting the Reapers/Geth/Cerberus. Then when I got back to the not-Citadel I just became Shepherd: Slightly Awkward Edition, a guy/girl who has to defeat a faceless alien threat in order to save everyone, I wanted to be Picard: Slightly Awkward Edition instead. The game even sets up a potential power struggle in Cora yet brushes it aside almost immediately.

That its gameplay seems to be so in line with DA:I in terms of overall structure just further adds to my disappointment, but the main thing I dislike is how such a unique subject matter for a story has been completely mishandled.
How many hours in are you?

I haven't played the game, but the issues with the game, are they something that could be resolved with an update? Thinking this may be something better to jump into later on if there will be fixes.

I've had a vision and here is what I think is going to happen.

The majority of people that wind up getting this now or in the future are going to play it. They are going to have fun. And then they are going to agree with the score. Loving the game and the time they had with it while at the same time wanting things to get better in the future.

Yes it is. It's a fine score, 75 is a fine score, who cares if the other games in the series got 90s? I'll bet you that there were tons of people who worked really hard and achieved a lot in making this game. Sure, it didn't turn out exactly as everyone hoped, but there's no magical cookbook for making a perfect multi-million dollar piece of software. I can see us being disappointed, I'm disappointed, but the people who worked on the game? I see no reason why they should feel bad.

What happened to Andromeda wasn't a mistake. They intentionally reduced the intensity of the story, lightened the tone, and lessened consequences. From the first moment I heard what they wanted to do I said this game was in trouble. I can't beleive that got past the planning stages.

As for the technical problems, oh boy, who knows what went so wrong. Maybe that's a result of so many people leaving to work on their other project.

sirap

Next Mass Effect (assuming they ever make one) should focus on you running around the Citadel solving crimes and shit. Space P.I. with a lower budget and more contained/focused story.

I just want Prey 2

Tecnniqe

Banned
Next Mass Effect (assuming they ever make one) should focus on you running around the Citadel solving crimes and shit. Space P.I. with a lower budget and more contained/focused story.

I just want Prey 2
Space PI sounds interesting.

Lt-47

The gameplay looks completely badass:

I know that I am definitely going to have some fun there, at the very least.

If there's one thing Montreal has proven to be very good at since ME3 it's combat.

I've had a vision and here is what I think is going to happen.

The majority of people that wind up getting this now or in the future are going to play it. They are going to have fun. And then they are going to agree with the score. Loving the game and the time they had with it while at the same time wanting things to get better in the future.

Given my impression of the trial that sounds very likely. It's not a disaster at all but it's very flawed even for bioware standard

I just want a game where you play detective miller from the Expanse television series.

FTFY

And so do I. Like real bad.

rashbeep

Banned

This will always be at the forefront of my issues with the trial. Honestly thought the animation criticism was a bit overblown as during my playthrough it wasn't something I really noticed that much. But the very second you meet the Kett (one of TWO new alien races in a new galaxy, really?) they start shooting at you with what might as well be the same weapons that you have.

So much potential, but the result feels creatively bankrupt.

Fruitster

This is such a pity. The technical issues that many of these reviews mention is the most troubling aspect for me, but hopefully things can be improved with some time and patches. I'm still very much looking forward to playing Andromeda, but the issues are certainly dissapointing.

Bahorel

I have a friend so excited for the release she's on media blackout for this, including review scores. She's got it preordered and shut me down when I tried to at least draw her attention to checking out a review first, oh well. Hopefully she'll enjoy it anyway.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with this one, it seems like a step back from DA:I even. With my current backlog it's very easy to pass on this.

rashbeep

Banned

I just want Prey 2

I've liked that idea ever since I talked to that C-Sec bloke in ME1. I think GiantBomb also mentioned that would be an interesting idea in their Andromeda stream.

I have a friend so excited for the release she's on media blackout for this, including review scores. She's got it preordered and shut me down when I tried to at least draw her attention to checking out a review first, oh well. Hopefully she'll enjoy it anyway.

She probably will. As would most people who are free to come to their own conclusions rather than the rampant negativity of the internet.

I enjoyed so many more games back in the ps2/GC/Xbox era before I became a forum junkee.

Star wars bounty hunter was great dammit

Iceternal

This will always be at the forefront of my issues with the trial. Honestly thought the animation criticism was a bit overblown as during my playthrough it wasn't something I really noticed that much. But the very second you meet the Kett (one of TWO new alien races in a new galaxy, really?) they start shooting at you with what might as well be the same weapons that you have.

So much potential, but the result feels creatively bankrupt.

Kett are basically bony Protheans.

Kumquat

If its as good as Dragon Age Inquisition then that's good enough for me. Sunk 180 hours into Inquisition.

I sank 100 hours into Inquisition as well and was ok with that. Then Witcher 3 came out and it changed my entire perspective.

It really is a pre Witcher world vs a post Witcher world. If DA:I had come out after Witcher 3 it would not have won GOTY and its review score would have been lower. If I had to play DA:I after I played Witcher 3 I would not have had near as much fun with it as I did.

I will probably end up buying ME:A at some point but I want to see their plan for fixing some key things first before I throw my money at them. I cancelled my preorder and it hurt to do it. I even scheduled a week off of work to really sink into ME:A in a couple weeks. Guess I'll find other stuff to do. Maybe Persona or something.

Another thing ME:A has going against it is launching just after two RPG's who really knocked it out of the park on their respective platforms with Horizon and Zelda. It makes ME:A look bush league. It's like a AAA title that somehow came out looking like it came from Steam Early Access. It is just unacceptable in this day and age to have such a huge studio produce something with so many bugs and problems.

It hurts because this was one of my top game in the last 5 years I was looking forward to. I can only hope they ME remaster is done so I can relive the good old days in glorious high def and with all the DLC.

sirap

Space PI sounds interesting.

I've liked that idea ever since I talked to that C-Sec bloke in ME1. I think GiantBomb also mentioned that would be an interesting idea in their Andromeda stream.

FTFY

And so do I. Like real bad.

Going after gangs, solving mysteries and helping people around the Citadel (Mass Effect) and Taris (KOTOR) were some of my favorite moments in Bioware games. When they first announced Mass Effect 4 and hinted that they'd abandon the lone hero/savior of the galaxy trope I was hoping they'd go in this direction...

Oh well, at least we have Cyberpunk 2077.

ironcreed

Banned

There is a good chance that she probably will. It is not being universally panned with reviews in the 3-5 range or anything.

Top Bottom