• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Oh speaking of it, a protip: manually zandatsuing is a complete waste of time. Horizontally adjusting with the left stick and slicing with square or triangle is the right way to do it. At least, so far, THANKFULLY, I haven't seen anything that requires diagonal slices.

Personally, I've zandatsu'd hundreds of times and somehow it hasn't become tired. It's definitely a lot better doing it than watching someone else do it. I imagine it'll be a lot better with the ability to do multiple zandatsus in a row unlocked.

That doesn't give you the bonus points for the ranking.

I personally enjoy the manual blade mode.

Oh just so im not confusing myself? isnt zandatsu the act of ripping an energy core out when the kanji comes on screen and blade mode is just when you cut stuff?

as in you can enter blade mode to perform a zandatsu, but if you parry an enemy at the right time/weaken him enough and use the QTE prompt you perfom zandatsu automatically?

jett

D-Member
Man I'm playing the demo again and these guys constantly getting into a loop of throwing grenades is annoying.

What was the break down on enemy bp? 100 for each body part and destroying them? Does the head count?

100BP for each limb. Head gives you nothing. The easiest and quickest way to get the BP points is to zandatsu someone after a parry. Slo-mo will be even slower, making the process easier. First you cut off the legs, slightly above the knee. After that the solider contorts in a way that makes it really easy to cut off his left arm, slightly below the shoulder, around a white emblem on their jacket. Getting the right arm too is almost impossible so forget about it. Unfortunately I haven't found a sure-fire way to get BP points without waiting for a solider to attack you.
I personally enjoy the manual blade mode.

Oh just so im not confusing myself? isnt zandatsu the act of ripping an energy core out when the kanji comes on screen and blade mode is just when you cut stuff?

as in you enter blade mode to perform a zandatsu, but if you parry an enemy at the right time/weaken him enough and use the QTE prompt you perfom zandatsu automatically?

Right right, I'm mistakenly using zandatsu for entire blade mode process. :p

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

You're right. Blade Mode is the free cut mechanic and Zandatsu is taking the core after an accurate cut

Endo Punk

I recall having problems lining up the blade just right manually in blade mode. Then I realised you don't need to perform the cut by taking the stick to the opposite direction; you jut hold back, line up and let go. Now Im a fucking pro lol.

Riposte

I'm not sure about Zandatsu (or Blade Mode, w/e). I like the concept a lot, but I don't think they will be using it to its full potential. For starters I kind of wished it was used more for debilitating enemies rather than as a finisher. For the recovery from doing it seems way overpowered.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I recall having problems lining up the cut just right manually. Then I realised you don't need to perform the cut by taking the stick to the opposite direction; you jut hold back, line up and let go. Now Im a fucking pro lol.

Yeah fuck that mashing shit

In the demo the most satisfying thing was taking the cores out of gekkos after the execution with one clean, accurate vertical cut.

Just like my japanese animes for real

jett

D-Member
I recall having problems lining up the blade just right manually in blade mode. Then I realised you don't need to perform the cut by taking the stick to the opposite direction; you jut hold back, line up and let go. Now Im a fucking pro lol.

It's easier to just hit square once(no mashing), it will cut exactly where you lined it up. You risk slight change of movement when you use the right analog stick, and you don't have to worry about mistakenly executing an unwanted slice.

Endo Punk

Yeah fuck that mashing shit

In the demo the most satisfying thing was taking the cores out of gekkos after the execution with one clean, accurate vertical cut.

Just like my japanese animes for real

Wish the game actually gave bonus points for just performing a clean cut to the core.

It's easier to just hit square once(no mashing), it will cut exactly where you lined it up. You risk slight change of movement when you use the right analog stick, and you don't have to worry about mistakenly executing an unwanted slice.

Feels better manually to get the core. I only use face buttons when I was to destroy the body.

Gbraga

I'm not sure about Zandatsu (or Blade Mode, w/e). I like the concept a lot, but I don't think they will be using it to its full potential. For starters I kind of wished it was used more for debilitating enemies rather than as a finisher. For the recovery from doing it seems way overpowered.

Maybe against stronger enemies? Sometimes you already make the Gecko's leg blue, for example.

Robot Pants

I kinda hope there are more enemies and overall content that they've left out of the trailers. Cause boy there are a lot of trailers

jett

D-Member
Wish the game actually gave bonus points for just performing a clean cut to the core.

Feels better manually to get the core. I only use face buttons when I was to destroy the body.

Welp, when I'm after a high ranking, I only care about what's most effective.

Although personally, I don't like manual slicing either way. :p

Revven

I kinda hope there are more enemies and overall content that they've left out of the trailers. Cause boy there are a lot of trailers

I've been avoiding all the recent trailers (except one or two, that dealt with the swords and the suit). No reason to spoil the game so close to release.

Endo Punk

Welp, when I'm after a high ranking, I only care about what's most effective.

Although personally, I don't like manual slicing either way. :p

Going for the arms and legs BP bonus is also easier manually, about the only thing face buttons are good for is destroying BP.

Riposte

If I have this sent to me from gamestop, will I still get the preorder bonus? How does that work usually? Normally the code is on the receipt.

If I have this sent to me from gamestop, will I still get the preorder bonus? How does that work usually? Normally the code is on the receipt.

The art book will be sent with the game, and the Gray Fox code will be emailed to you within 2 business days (last I heard).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It is used that way in the game. Not always the entire body of the enemy is vulnerable. Sometimes just a limb, in which the cutting of that part will result in them being unable to use attacks that require it which alters their attack pattern and behavior.(Ex. Taking both gorillabot arms results in them being more aggressive, but only being able to attack you with drop kicks IIRC)

I think Platinum has done a pretty remarkable job making a game that makes full use of a mechanic that really only sounds good on paper. I've been really impressed with the game's design so far

Despera

Banned
tumblr_lrpj7k3lTj1qinhw7o1_500.jpg
Oh I see :lol

Riposte

Thanks.

EDIT: lol these shipping options suck. Will I seriously have to wait 5-10 days after release because I don't want to pay up to at least 6 dollars? Amazon has spoiled me.

It is used that way in the game. Not always the entire body of the enemy is vulnerable. Sometimes just a limb which will result in a different attack pattern for the enemy.(Ex. Taking both gorillabot arms results in them being more aggressive, but only being able to attack you with drop kicks IIRC)

I think Platinum has done a pretty remarkable job making a game that takes full use of a mechanic that really only sounds good on paper

I hope so. I'm a huge fan of Binary Domain's dismemberment mechanics.

jett

D-Member
Going for the arms and legs BP bonus is also easier manually, about the only thing face buttons are good for is destroying BP.

This is all false. I'm getting 6000 points in all of the demo encounters with just using the face buttons.

You're right. Blade Mode is the free cut mechanic and Zandatsu is taking the core after an accurate cut

When the enemy is about to die or when you weaken them enough to use the blade mode the screen kind of flashes blue and the kanji 斬 shows up. That's "zan". Then after you hit the highlighted spot in blade mode, the kanji 奪 shows up. That's the "datsu" part. So I imagine that zandatsu would be the entire process, as it's the combination of the two, cut and take.

Endo Punk

Someone said on these forums the campaign is only 4 hours long? Is this true? Seems awfully short.

Here:

A few days ago an ending screen of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance appeared on the internet, displaying a finish time of around 5,5 hours. Since then, people have been worried about the game’s length, assuming this was an accurate representation. But accroding to the game’s producer Atsushi Inaba, the game is much longer than that timer indicates. He explained:

It seems someone posted their MGR results screen and that people (mainly in the West) are shocked it says the clear time is 5.5hr.

Here’s the truth: First of all, cutscenes ARE NOT INCLUDED in that counter.

Next: For every chapter you play in the game, it ONLY COUNTS YOUR FASTEST TIME. It doesn’t track your total play time.

What that means is if you replay a chapter for 10 hours, but you finally clear it in a time of 10 mins. Only 10 mins will be counted.

So please don’t get fixated on that end screen Clear Time being total game time because it is not.

As I said, it is not how long you’ve had the power on playing MGR, it is a record of your best efforts playing the game.

We came up with this clear time counting system as a way to fairly evaluate players. It hasn’t changed since Bayonetta.

However, I will say it is really disappointing that people try to use a single screen in the game to try and create negative buzz.

So in other words, don’t let this judge whether to get the game or not. It will obviously last you longer.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How long is the campaign?

No one who has played the full game has published an hour count.

I expect that like most games with the potential to bottleneck progress with skill barriers, ymmv

V_Arnold

Someone said on these forums the campaign is only 4 hours long? Is this true? Seems awfully short.

You blink twice, then BAM, a level is completed.
Then you waggle some with the blade mode: bam, another chapter done.

And that is how the 4 hour mark is spot on.
*cries*

Akainu

What else gets bp. Cause I got like 3000 out of nowhere from killing two of the first three enemies in the demo. And the bladewolf fight sucks cause of those interruptions.

jett

D-Member
MoonsaultSlayer said:
How do I trigger Zandatsu, exactly? I've been wanting to ask since the demo but limited my time in Rising threads.

Enter blade mode and position your slicing line over the pink square in the enemy's body. When it's in perfect position a crosshair will appear over it. Cut. Press circle. Done.

What else gets bp. Cause I got like 3000 out of nowhere from killing two of the first three enemies in the demo. And the bladewolf fight sucks cause of those interruptions.

That's a bug in the demo when you restart that section. Those 3k points you got didn't actually count for the scoretable.

Killing enemies and amount of body parts in general also gets you BP, but a small amount in comarison to limbs. Limb bonuses is where it's at.

For the Bladewolf fight, you don't actually need a lot of limbs, the BP requirement is pretty small. Just killing the enemies with zandatsu will be enough usually to get the full BP bonus, although it's better to get a leg or two at least, just to be sure. :p Oh and you only need 4000 points for the S rank. Now, getting 6k is a pain in the ass and I don't recommend attempting it. Getting within the two-minutes time restriction can be pretty hard, but having two rocket launchers makes mincemeat out of the bladewolf. Each rocket hits for 20% damage. Remember you can quickfire it by tapping L2. Best to do it right after you launch him in the air.

Have any of the people worrying about the game length ever played a Platinum game before? *shakes head*

Considering that I've played the demo numerous times and still want to go back for more, I'm not even close to being concerned about the the actual game time.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
vWPPdQ9.png

After playing the demo several times I know that I'll never get this one. I'll never get this.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You'll never be a Master Cyborg Ninja with that attitude

Top Bottom