• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renekton

HTC Vive has to drop their price immediately, it's not this is a one day sale for Oculus its for six weeks. I love the my vive but dam a $400 difference.
HTC probably doesn't need to, as it seems like many people are refusing to buy Rift out of principle.

If you're considering room scale, do one of those three sensor setups. I've never tried it but Oculus users swear by it. You could have a better headset+better controller+comparable room scale experience for around $500

I do room scale on Oculus with just 2 sensors (They're right next to the lighthouse base stations) and room scale seems to work fine.

Alx

I wonder if it has anything to do with the windows mixed reality headsets that should be available on August (they're only dev kits, but there will be specs comparison once they're out)

toa95

Welp I bit... going to pick it up when Best Buy opens up at 10. I work tonight but first thing I'm doing when I get home is setting this thing up. I don't have quite the room for full room scale yet but I will soon.

Theonik

Vive costs twice as much but is twice as good.

So at the end of this year they are realising updated tracking and next year wireless headset?
Tracking is slightly different but not by much the biggest benefit of the lighthouse refresh is the cost.
I do expect a new bundle with the new lighthouses and knuckly controllers. Don't know if it will be cheaper overall. Especially if they go wireless.

Have a fair number of these in the office. Personally, I don't think they're worth the price to consumers right now. None of the experiences I've had have been worth that kind of price tag.

That's just my opinion though. I've had the advantage of being able to try lots of VR experiences on the Rift in order to get a look at the onboarding / tutorialing and whatnot, so for me I haven't needed to own one to get an experience out of a wide range of games. But thus far there haven't been any VR experiences that I'd really like to sit down and play at home. Novel, fun in the moment yes, but not worth the price tag for me right now.

The only thing I've played in VR where I've felt the experience might be worth that kind of price has been Resident Evil 7. That's the only game I saw myself coming back to in VR, and playing day after day.

I think consumers broadly are still better off waiting this out. Most VR games are still ironing the kinks out, most developers unsure what type of games work, and what they want to produce. Rift and devices alike will be much more affordable in years to come. With that said, if you're incredibly interested in VR and can take the price, then it's probably worthwhile for the experience, even if most titles aren't that engaging in the long-term.

HTC probably doesn't need to, as it seems like many people are refusing to buy Rift out of principle.

While true, their early exclusive bs was a bit much. I would not want to buy it as it is the weaker device. Touch is decent but I think the valve knuckle controllers, which will hopefully be out soon, lend themselves more to VR interaction. I assume there will be a cheaper Vive by the end of the year as well.

I enjoy VR though. So every purchase is a good thing as it increases the likely hood of more software.

That's a hell of a deal, but also screams "Version 2 Incoming!" to me.

But that's a solid sale price, for sure. I think the Vive is a better kit overall, especially with the focus on roomscale, but tou coild do far worse than a $400 Oculus bundle.

Let's curb this Rift vs Vive dick wagglery. $400 for a Rift + Touch is a ridiculous deal and a larger VR userbase benefits us all.

indeed, i mean, these are our local prices here in finland, just for the headsets alone at the moment:
vr-sets.png

Getting more sets to that 400$ territory is important.

Couldn't resist at 450 Euro for the Bundle at Amazon.de. After tax, the price is absolutely fair conversion-wise.

The headphones on the pictures are included, right? Are they decent, or should I buy better ones?

Gnub

I was waiting for the headsets from Acer, HP etc but this is almost too good to be true. That Bestbuy bundle may break me. I'm only curious about a few games. Mostly I want to watch movies in a VR cinema. I caught up on Luke Cage and a bunch of other stuff on the Samsung VR even though it's pretty low quality.

Are there any other must experience non gaming applications?

Also. Good job waiting for the steam sale to blow over FB....

Christ I'm tempted. 450€ with 7 games + free shipping? This is gonna be a hard one to pass up.

E: AND it's Prime day, AND I've just bought a Switch last week :(

Vash63

I've owned both and still feel the Vive is a significantly better product... but damn. I don't think I could recommend one to anyone over the Rift at twice the price unless money was seriously no object. Hopefully this helps push HTC to drop to $599, or at least $699 w/ a temporary discount or something.

Or if they don't do it I hope LG's headset isn't too far away and can compete - I feel pretty strongly that Lighthouse is the superior tech but a $400 price difference is hard to argue with.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I almost ordered one, but then I saw the £400 price tag. That's some shitty conversion rate, dudes.

$399 in UKP is £310.
Add in our 20% tax = £372.

Not a huge difference between between £372 and £399.

Izuna

Banned
Woohoo, CeX and amazon letting me return the one I have for this deal. £80 saved

Edit: Yes the headphones that come with are amazing. They are open back however, which imo is a good thing because noise isolation in VR is not for me haha. It is also social if you're doing something online, people can hear everyone else.

Bookoo

This is an awesome deal and it's coming out a great time. Echo Arena is probably one of the best multiplayer games to come out. Lone Echo the single player portion looks awesome as well.

Also there is a good amount of other content out there to play.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I just can't.

I can't justify this and my PSVR. And I want it so bad.... Arggggghhhhhh.......

hoserx

Yea I doubt that many people are honestly refusing to buy it out of principle. Price is usually mentioned as the #1 factor and this is crazy deal.

It's easy to cite "principle" when you already don't plan to buy it anyway, based on the price. You're absolutely right. I'm trying hard to wait for a next generation VR device, but damn if $400 isn't tempting.

Bookoo

It's easy to cite "principle" when you already don't plan to buy it anyway, based on the price. You're absolutely right. I'm trying hard to wait for a next generation VR device, but damn if $400 isn't tempting.

Yeah I tell my friends to just wait for the next gen headsets because we will see huge improvements, but $400 to get both the headset and touch is a killer deal.

There a ton of great games out for Oculus and on SteamVR and Oculus has a good lineup coming out before the end of the year. They have been releasing like one major title a month.

Where is this 7 game package people are talking about? I dont see it on the Oculus store, BB or Amazon.

I had a PSVR for the launch weekend and returned it to Amazon as it didn't impress me that much. The tracking just killed it for me... everything constantly drifted and didn't feel "right". The screen was also pretty shit. I love the "presence" of VR but havent tried the Vive or Rift.

I've got a new rig with a 1080 and 7700k... will the Rift actually wow me?

scitek

Where is this 7 game package people are talking about? I dont see it on the Oculus store, BB or Amazon.

I had a PSVR for the launch weekend and returned it to Amazon as it didn't impress me that much. The tracking just killed it for me... everything constantly drifted and didn't feel "right". The screen was also pretty shit. I love the "presence" of VR but havent tried the Vive or Rift.

The tracking will definitely wow you over what the PSVR can do.

Sold my vive a while ago but last week bought a rift (ergonomics are better for me and I love having the headphones built in). Crying now at the £200 difference if I'd waited a week!

Darhkwing

It's massively better than PS VR IMO. The fact their is a lot more VR stuff on PC helps as well. Will it wow you? Dunno.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You'll see it when you add the Rift to the cart. Its also shown on BB page..scroll down.

Get a total of seven games with the combined purchase of Rift and Touch, including Lucky's Tale, Medium, Toybox, Quill, Dead and Buried, Dragon Front and Robo Recall

In addition to these 7 games + Eve Valkryie if you buy from BB, Echo Arena is also coming free later this month, and there are already some free VR apps too.
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-vr-pre-order-launch-titles-free-content-games/

low-G

I bought one back in March after the first price drop, I love it.

Holy shit though, I think those months were worth $200 but this price is insane, it seems they're really desperate to get their base up.

You'd be nuts to buy a PSVR if you have a decent PC at this point...

Thraktor

Must restrain myself from picking this up... I'm trying to hold off for another generation or two (ideally 2K x 2K res per eye with eye tracking and foveated rendering), but this is pretty tempting.

The tracking will definitely wow you over what the PSVR can do.

It's massively better than PS VR IMO. The fact their is a lot more VR stuff on PC helps as well. Will it wow you? Dunno.

You'll see it when you add the Rift to the cart. Its also shown on BB page..scroll down.

In addition to these 7 games + Eve Valkryie if you buy from BB, Echo Arena is also coming free later this month, and there are already some free VR apps too.
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-touch-vr-pre-order-launch-titles-free-content-games/

Thanks for the info guys/girls!

I'm sooooo fn' tempted for this price! Having some actual games might really sway me. Any other big games utilize the Rift like Fallout 4? Ill have to start doing some research.

Steel

Banned
There's sensors in the back of the headset. It will glitch if you try to line up a 2 handed firearm sights shot.

Oh, I know, the problem is that steamvr will blink when you look backwards, and the touch will lose tracking if your body blocks them. A third camera is highly recommended and they're only $60 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom