• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much more powerful is the Switch vs Wii U?

Had a search for this and didn't really come up with an awful lot, but what are we looking at here? Gigaflop figures? Percentages? General CPU and GPU performance comparisons? Or is it really an tiny upgrade?

I think it's more powerful than Wii U when undocked and docked.
Docked seems to be 2x more powerful allowing 720p Wii U games to be rendered at 1080p or at least with visual/performance upgrades like with Splatoon.
Architecture improvements, more RAM, and a better CPU help too.
I recall reading that MK8 on Wii U was limited in RAM so that's why you could only hold 1 item.

I'm unsure on the CPU front but GPU wise its looking about 3-4x taking inro consideration efficiency gains and modeen architecture when talking about docked. CPU I dont know sadly.

It's not really a straight cut "it's twice as good" but the cpu and gpu are big improvements in power and in being able to run more up to date er... drivers and code stuff, it all helps in how it can squeeze more performance out of itself.

if it was not for battery and temp limits the tegra in the switch could be twice as fast as it's currently clocked at but not sure if the chip inside has anything stopping it being returned to high clock speeds, something modders will one day be able to tell us hopefully.

Alchemy

I think the graphical differences basically wash out to higher resolution games with a few more effects on the Switch, while the big upgrade is in the RAM department.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Switch can go Super Saiyan sooooo

super-saiyan-nintendo-switch-skin-1487725023_skndrgnbz14ntswch-pr-01.jpg

It's not really a straight cut "it's twice as good" but the cpu and gpu are big improvements in power and in being able to run more up to date er... drivers and code stuff, it all helps in how it can squeeze more performance out of itself.

if it was not for battery and temp limits the tegra in the switch could be twice as fast as it's currently clocked at but not sure if the chip inside has anything stopping it being returned to high clock speeds, something modders will one day be able to tell us hopefully.

The chip throttles at higher clocks. You could probably get away with higher CPU clocks but you still have to worry about heat generatopn when holding the system undocked. They could do a die shrink and run much better clocks though.

Zedark

In raw power Switch docked is more than 2 times as powerful, and architectural advantages and better engine support put it ahead even more.

tkscz

Based on hardware, you have 2x more RAM that is much faster (3x more usable RAM). GPU is five generations ahead (Radeon HD 4000 vs Nvidia Maxwell). CPU is far more stable, and faster, plus an extra core. Only issue it has is it barely has a high FLOP rate than the Wii U. That being said, can't really give it the arbitrary X number stronger. In most cases it's 4x stronger.

I think the graphical differences basically wash out to higher resolution games with a few more effects on the Switch, while the big upgrade is in the RAM department.

Maxwell has more than "a few more effects" compared to VLIW5

It'll render a 720p Wii U game at 1080p with some better lighting and texture filtering. I don't know what that translates to in duct-taped gamecubes, but that seems to be the practical implementation of the power difference.

I'd argue that these "How powerful is ____ compared to ____" conversations are going to fade away over time though, because we're reaching a point where even the average smart phone allows for some really nice looking games at high resolutions. At this point, if your game is ugly it has very little to do with being on a system that can't realize your artistic vision.

Jigolo

very little i think

the system from an external hardware perspective is far better imo. i love my wii u but fuck the wii sensor bar, gamepad, gamepad charger w/ external, external power brick for the console itself....

IIRC Breath of the Wild's performance is nearly identical to the Wii U when undocked (portable) in terms of frame rate in specific spots, and both run at 720p. But this shouldn't be considered an accurate measuring stick due to BotW's shifts in platform development. It's not necessarily optimized for either platform.

IIRC Breath of the Wild's performance is nearly identical to the Wii U when undocked (portable) in terms of frame rate in specific spots, and both run at 720p. But this shouldn't be considered an accurate measuring stick due to BotW's shifts in platform development. It's not necessarily optimized for either platform.

BOTW runs significantly better undocked on the Switch vs the WiiU. Like the difference is massive.

BOTW runs significantly better undocked on the Switch vs the WiiU. Like the difference is massive.

Ah, does it? I didn't remember it being noted as such right at launch. Did patches shore it up, or was it always that much better? Got any hard numbers?

I remembered that it was said to run a little worse docked, because it was 900p, and that bit of extra resolution was enough to make it stutter a little more than when undocked.

Ah, does it? I didn't remember it being noted as such right at launch. Did patches shore it up, or was it always that much better? Got any hard numbers?

I remembered that it was said to run a little worse docked, because it was 900p, and that bit of extra resolution was enough to make it stutter a little more than when undocked.

iirc (I don't own the Wii U version), it runs worse than it does in handheld mode when docked, not worse than it does on Wii U.

so if the switch is 2x wii u, does that mean it will allow wii u games to run at 1080p?

Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon were both 720p on Wii U and are now 1080p on Switch.

BotW was 720p on Wii U and is now 900p on Switch.

Before the patches hit, Switch and Wii U ran into the same frame stuttering problems, but handheld mode had almost none. After the patch hit, Switch ran significantly better than the Wii U version and handheld mode had no dips afterwards.

It's about two times more powerful in terms of graphics, it's gotta be at least 1000000 times more powerful in terms of CPU and this is docked iirc. CPU statistic should be right undocked too however.

The docked performance was worse than the undocked performance on Switch. The undocked performance was better than the WiiU. The docked and the WiiU ran similarly with the docked edging it out. After the patch the game is significantly better in docked and undocked on Switch vs WiiU. Check the Digital Foundry video on both release and after patch.

I also have both versions and yeah its better on the Switch no matter how you slice it after the patch. Before the patch it was roughly the same on WiiU and docked Switch. (Roughly)

And the game undocked still drops frames after the patch. It's still not perfect but there are certain sections of the game that were horrible.

I believe handheld was always somewhat more stable but yes, there was a patch that really exaggerated the difference between the two. Here's a video showing the difference. The game in docked and undocked is pretty consistently 30fps, whereas the Wii U dips as low as 20fps frequently.

Zedark

so if the switch is 2x wii u, does that mean it will allow wii u games to run at 1080p?
Just look at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 1080p and some additional effects, along with a better frame rate.

(And guys, stop calling Splatoon 2 Splatoon 1. Go watch the Digital Foundry video, there are visual improvements that differentiate it).

Nheco

I can only understand power measurements in "gamecubes ductaped togheter" scale. Can someone please enlighten me?

Zedark

I can only understand power measurements in "gamecubes ductaped togheter" scale. Can someone please enlighten me?
Approximately 16 to 20 Gamecubes duct taped together in handheld mode, depending on the profile chosen by the devs, and 40 gamecubes in docked mode.

steveovig

How much would have Nintendo had to lose for the power to be equal to the Xbox One is what I'm wondering. I always thought that was a bit of a mistake but it does seem to be working out for them anyways.

Instro

How much would have Nintendo had to lose for the power to be equal to the Xbox One is what I'm wondering. I always thought that was a bit of a mistake but it does seem to be working out for them anyways.

In the form factor/hybrid design they chose it would have been impossible. Short of some sort of hardware in the doc itself anyway.

Well the Switch is a tablet device. It's unrealistic to expect a battery powered Xbox One at a decent price.

Top Bottom