• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The texture work in Witcher 3 was very bad by my weird standard.

Neith

Banned
Dude no one has said that, it's perfectly fine to like the mod. I think you are overreacting a little here.

No, it's just annoying that the only talk about the mod becomes negative because people don't like the OP. Leave Halk out of this. His mod is amazing and everyone in the Witcher 3 community is thankful for his help and hard work.

To have some random people crapping on his mod because they see one comparison picture is inane beyond belief, and it's only being done because people don't like the topic. It makes it out like his mod is garbage or something, when it's the exact opposite. Halk has fixed a lot of what CD left undone.

While I don't agree with the OP at all, CD did in fact leave a lot of crappy textures in the game, and Halk has steadily been fixing all of them and improving other things like the water and stuff too.

I don't think that's true.

It isn't true. Objectively really. Witcher 3 is still a supremely awesome game on Death March. And the gameplay is mostly fine. Not quite as great as Horizon, but still very good with a story that is more epic.

The political intrigue in The Witcher series is not equaled in any other RPG of its kind really.

Apparently if a game's texture work is not among the absolute best two years after release, it's very bad.

What is even the point?

Just install this mod then?

tuxfool

Banned
No, it's just annoying that the only talk about the mod becomes negative because people don't like the OP. Leave Halk out of this. His mod is amazing and everyone in the Witcher 3 community is thankful for his help and hard work.

To have some random people crapping on his mod because they see one comparison picture is inane beyond belief, and it's only being done because people don't like the topic. It makes it out like his mod is garbage or something, when it's the exact opposite. Halk has fixed a lot of what CD left undone.

While I don't agree with the OP at all, CD did in fact leave a lot of crappy textures in the game, and Halk has steadily been fixing all of them and improving other things like the water and stuff too.

There is some good work and some bad work. However, it is still plagued by the things that seem endemic to user created texture packs. It doesn't entirely blend with the art style of the game.

Coreda

I'm not sure why you're letting opinions about re-texture mods ruin your day :p Most seemed to be just commenting on how often with such mods what's gained in fidelity can be lost in the original style or cohesion. It's cool there are some good ones out there. There's an on-going Resident Evil HD mod which balances the original vision pretty well that has been fun to keep track of.

Neith

Banned
There is some good work and some bad work. However, it is still plagued by the things that seem endemic to user created texture packs. It doesn't entirely blend with the art style of the game.

To prove this you would have to show me more than one or two photos. You simply took a photo that is over a half year old. Halk is NOT DONE with this texture pack. He is actively working. 4.6 was just released. That table is not a part of 4.6 It is from December, and he has made many enhancements since that.

I'm not sure where that table is or I would take a look to see if he blended the post yet. If you have suggestion feel free to drop by the nexus and give Halk a comment.

Almost all of the work he has done is fantastic. 90% or better. I would not call that plagued by a user's texture pack. I mean, you could not be any more hyperbolic with that gesture toward his pack.

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/952/images/1021-6-1500576578.jpg

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/952/images/1021-7-1500576578.jpg

Those vanilla textures are terrible. Halk's is amazing. Most of what he does, 90% or so, is amazing stuff that totally adds to the game. CD mostly just missed the little things, and he has filled in those holes about as well as any one person can do.

I'm not sure why you're letting opinions about re-texture mods ruin your day :p Most seemed to be just commenting on how often with such mods what's gained in fidelity can be lost in the original style or cohesion. It's cool there are some good ones out there. There's an on-going Resident Evil HD mod which balances the original vision pretty well that has been fun to keep track of.

I'm definitely familiar with that. It's a great great mod. It's not ruining my day, but it sucks that Halk's mod is not being fairly represented on this site mostly due to a shitty OP.

To prove this you would have to show me more than one or two photos. You simply took a photo that is over a half year old. Halk is NOT DONE with this texture pack. He is actively working. 4.6 was just released. That table is not a part of 4.6 It is from December, and he has made many enhancements since that.

I'm not sure where that table is or I would take a look to see if he blended the post yet. If you have suggestion feel free to drop by the nexus and give Halk a comment.

Almost all of the work he has done is fantastic. 90% or better. I would not call that plagued by a user's texture pack. I mean, you could not be any more hyperbolic with that gesture toward his pack.

Those vanilla textures are terrible. Halk's is amazing. Most of what he does, 90% or so, is amazing stuff that totally adds to the game. CD mostly just missed the little things, and he has filled in those holes about as well as any one person can do.

"I'm not sure why you're letting opinions about re-texture mods ruin your day :p Most seemed to be just commenting on how often with such mods what's gained in fidelity can be lost in the original style or cohesion. It's cool there are some good ones out there. There's an on-going Resident Evil HD mod which balances the original vision pretty well that has been fun to keep track of."

I'm definitely familiar with that. It's a great great mod. It's not ruining my day, but it sucks that Halk's mod is not being fairly represented on this site mostly due to a shitty OP.
Man, you've posted multiple, strongly worded posts that are many paragraphs long. It's hard not to interpret that as rage, especially when you keep doing it unprovoked and mostly repeating yourself.

Who gives a fuck if someone doesn't like an HD texture pack? And don't respond to this with more screenshots or babble about how hard some dude worked. I don't care.

Neith

Banned
Why are you responding if you don't care? I am not full of rage or anything like that lol. I'm just getting a word in for Halk's excellent pack. We have no one else in the community willing to do what he is doing really.

It's not like Skyrim where there is mass community support and multiple mods. I don't even know what your problem is. In fact, your post is about the only one here filled with rage, and because I am standing up for Halk's pack because it is being misrepresented here? OKAY. Chill out.

It's not that people can or cannot dislike his pack. It's that the pack is being MISrepresented that is the problem. Big difference. It's very fine to not like some things in the pack. I don't like everything either. But to insist we need to be wary of such a pack because of one old photo from half a year ago lol? Okay.

tuxfool

Banned

Right there in his examples:

411B3UZ.jpg

95u1xfV.jpg
"Lets take the original normal maps, ramp up the contrast excessively and presto, looks great!"

No.

Ditto (though not as egregious)

Colour temperatures don't match. The new wood is much more cold than the original.

Then there are these examples:

Pt88Qpu.png

Makes a mess of the rock texture, the original though of a lower resolution looks much more like a weathered rock.

In the pursuit for more detail, the texture pack is fucking around with the art style of the game. Unless all the textures in the game are normalized to the new texture pack it looks wrong in places.

I'm annoyed this thread even exists lol

The Witcher 3 looked amazing on my OG PS4, and I'm putting off playing the DLC until I can get a 4K TV to go with my Pro. Maybe it's not technically super impressive, but to my eyes, it may be the most beautiful game I've ever played.

Neith

Banned
Right there in his examples:

"Lets take the original normal maps, ramp up the contrast excessively and presto, looks great!"

No.

Ditto (though not as egregious)

Colour temperatures don't match. The new wood is much more cold than the original.

Then there are these examples:

http://i.imgur.com/Pt88Qpu.png
Makes a mess of the rock texture, the original though of a lower resolution looks much more like a weathered rock.

In the pursuit for more detail, the texture pack is fucking around with the art style of the game. Unless all the textures in the game are normalized to the new texture pack it looks wrong in places.

I don't disagree with you totally. But it helps to see everything in game with the variable lighting to actually critique how things look.

There are also things like this:

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/952/images/1021-2-1500578360.jpg

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/952/images/1021-3-1500578360.jpg

Halk's mod is clearly superior here and in many places.

Now for your photos I agree it is up to the user's taste. I am not sure which I like better really from the more shadowed and contrasty stuff. CD's looked fine to me, and I really don't have a problem with Halk's either.

Of course we are blowing up the image and you will never see it like that in game.

He has said he is working on the rocks. I don't really prefer either of them. I would not agree that CD's looks more like weathered rock. I think they both have traits that look like weathered rock. CD's is really low resolution, and his is more like scarred rough rock. He has said he is looking into more softer looking rock so IDK.

Overall, if I had to I think I would take Halk's rock because it reminds me more of realistic rock. For some of the inlaid rocks and side panels I am not sure what I prefer. Sometimes his can seem too dark for my tastes, but I don't think it is a huge deal.

Again, I believe the color temp is different to make things look a tad more realistic and not so cartoony and saturated like the Witcher can look in the sun and what not. I agree that things need to be consistent, but it takes time.

tuxfool

Banned
Halk's mod is clearly superior here and in many places..

This is the point. Inconsistency is the name of the game when it comes to user created texture packs. For as "bad" as the original work may be, these texture packs typically only magnify the inconsistency by not following the original art direction. They also add their own bullshit like ramping up normals to absurd degrees.

Bionic

Neith, people have different aesthetic tastes, and your assessment of a texture mod is clearly not universally shared. Why are you so disturbed by people disagreeing with you?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am no fan of Witcher 3 but it's a beautiful looking game. I dont know about textures, but some of the bushes and foliage look awful. the lighting at times doesnt look too flattering either. You look at Horizon which looks incredible under any lighting conditions, indoors and outdoors, and compare it to the console versions and the difference is night and day.

I have seen some Witcher 3 4k footage on my 4k tv and well, it's a completely different game. the foliage looks better, those godawful bushes are still there but the rest looks much better on PC.

I bought the game again on PSN hoping they really bring it closer to the PC version whenever the X1X and Pro versions come out. like i said, it's an otherwise beautiful looking game.

Neith

Banned
This is the point. Inconsistency is the name of the game when it comes to user created texture packs. For as "bad" as the original work may be, these texture packs typically only magnify the inconsistency by not following the original art direction. They also add their own bullshit like ramping up normals to absurd degrees.

Consistency takes time. I don't think the images you showed of the walls are absurd. It's more detailed a tad too dark maybe. But the original is too light and looks bland to me. Of course it would be nice to tweak what you want.

But after playing this game for hours with the mod and without I would say I much prefer having his textures in game. Most of the wood alone and little details like books and scrolls inside houses make it worthwhile to me.

I have no problem with people disliking a pack. Again though, we are bordering on only picking out what you don't like. I haven't see one person post any of the 100% better Halk shots here. It's only the borderline stuff, which is why i said this is not really a fair argument.

Neith, people have different aesthetic tastes, and your assessment of a texture mod is clearly not universally shared. Why are you so disturbed by people disagreeing with you?

Hello, I have tried to explain this. I have no problem with people debating how they look. We do this at nexus all the time. Not everyone is happy with everything. How could we be? Halk is one person. I totally disagreed with him, and was quite mad, when he started changing Novigrad to an orangish more E3 look. The roofs and houses started looking all crazy when he took away the red. Eventually, he changed it back after crashing and complaints about changing the colors.

The idea is that no one here was posting anything resembling a constructive critique. Hell, one guy even raged at me for defending Halk's work. I am the only one that has posted shots of the many improvements Halk has brought to the mod. So it seems totally unfair to me that people are just rallying around the controversial shots. It makes no constructive sense. Go leave him a comment if you want something changed or you have an opinion.

If someone were to come into this thread and just see those shots they might think Halk was crazy and the pack was awful. Which is totally not true. I would never play the game without the pack. On the whole it is amazing and keeps getting better every release.

Hahaha.

You know you need to think about your posts if it's bad enough that Durante has to take time out of his very busy work schedule to drop a line and call you the worst poster on GAF.

The fact that we're even talking about Horizon in a thread that would have been a PC only conversation last year is high praise. Same for UC4. There's just a lot of love and care put into a lot of the work out there.

Not sure where it was on GAF yesterday, but someone posted a hi res image of a new handgun from BF1 and I was blown away. There were signs of wear on the cocking mechanism (or w/e it's called) and, while it looked cool, I was more impressed that someone had to have the thought process and make a conscious choice to add that level of detail.

Very impressive stuff.

maped

Neo Member
Also, why in god's name would a stool have a large hole in it where your butt goes LOL? It makes no pragmatic sense whatsoever and no one would ever do that.

Since this hole seems to confound you so, let me explain: It's a handle. When you're for example milking cows and go from one cow to another, it's useful to easily be able to carry the stool with one hand and the bucket with another.

Neith

Banned
Since this hole seems to confound you so, let me explain: It's a handle. When you're for example milking cows and go from one cow to another, it's useful to easily be able to carry the stool with one hand and the bucket with another.

I mean okay, but it just seemed like a stool for sitting at that table. At any rate, can someone tell me where that image is from? What region is the table/stool from? I would like to see if he had matched the post yet? If he didn't I would like to drop a line at nexus? Maybe I can say something about making the wood a tad warmer if he hasn't changed it since.

Bionic

I mean okay, but it just seemed like a stool for sitting at that table.
How many posts should I make with pictures of stools that have holes in the seat in order to convince you that your opinion about its rarity or utility is not universally held or representative of fact?

Opinions are not facts. You can like a texture pack without it being objectively amazing or inarguably better or 90% perfect. You will never convince people to care as much about your opinion of a texture mod as you think it deserves. You might get people to find you unusually persistent enough to keep posting bait to see if you will continue posting long posts defending some rando's mod, but have at it.

Neith

Banned
How many posts should I make with pictures of stools that have holes in the seat in order to convince you that your opinion about its rarity or utility is not universally held or representative of fact?

Opinions are not facts. You can like a texture pack without it being objectively amazing or inarguably better or 90% perfect. You will never convince people to care as much about your opinion of a texture mod as you think it deserves. You might get people to find you unusually persistent enough to keep posting bait to see if you will continue posting long posts defending some rando's mod, but have at it.

Number one, I never said it was rare. I don't have an opinion on the stool to be honest. I don't care if it is holed or not. I even said I liked the hole in the first post I made on the idea. It just seemed weird with that table. Your explanation seems fine.

Halk is not a "rando". He has been in the mod scene for a decent bit. They even have links to his mod in Eurogamer.

Anyway, I have no idea what you mean by bait. I type like 150 words a minute. This isn't taking much of my time. All that I know is people are pretty hostile around here when you question why they are not constructively criticizing a mod. Seems some people have an agenda against PC mods or something IDK. I don't really care at all either. I'm pretty much over this thread. Have a nice day.

In reality I am totally fine playing Witcher 3 vanilla. In fact, if we are comparing Horizon that game has ground draw-in that annoys me a lot more than textures.

Holy shit Neith, is the guy who made that texture pack a close friend of yours or something? You seem literally pissed that people don't universally love his work.

The hole in the stool being a common thing in real life medieval furniture, and you trying to spin it becuase you havent seen one and you think is uncomfortable takes the fucking cake lol. But please, coninue, all your posts are making me laugh a lot.

Rellik

It's one of my favourite games of all time, but it had some of the worst texture pop in I've seen since Mass Effect. I'd be looking at pixelated models of what are supposed to be buildings for like 5 or 6 seconds on the PS4 version.

Grassy

Halk's texture pack isn't perfect nor immune from criticism, and other people are able to have their own preferences without you losing your shit about it. No one's shitting on or hating his mod. If you think it's amazing then good for you, knock yourself the fuck out with it, but myself and others obviously prefer texture work to remain closer to the original art style.

Your Halk dick riding is embarrassing.

Gestault

Halk is not a "rando". He has been in the mod scene for a decent bit. They even have links to his mod in Eurogamer.

Anyway, I have no idea what you mean by bait. I type like 150 words a minute. This isn't taking much of my time. All that I know is people are pretty hostile around here when you question why they are not constructively criticizing a mod. Seems some people have an agenda against PC mods or something IDK. I don't really care at all either. I'm pretty much over this thread. Have a nice day.

Who a figure in the modding community is or isn't basically doesn't matter; people can and will criticize their work, especially when some of the tweaks you asked for examples of are so amaturish. When you go through the progression of rationales for why everything is actually fine and end up at "but he's famous," I don't know what to tell you. You're now accusing "GAF" of having an agenda against PC modding because people are pointing out shortcomings of this particular texture mod pack. People will feel more "hostile" when you basically antagonize any opinion that diverges from yours, and make broad accusations about how the room is conspiring against you.

Number one, I never said it was rare. I don't have an opinion on the stool to be honest. I don't care if it is holed or not. I even said I liked the hole in the first post I made on the idea. It just seemed weird with that table. Your explanation seems fine.

When you stumble your way from "I don't care" to giving a specific lineage of the ways you had previously cared and end by giving a specific opinion on something, it shows you haven't really thought through what you're saying.

Neith

Banned
Holy shit Neith, is the guy who made that texture pack a close friend of yours or something? You seem literally pissed that people don't universally love his work.

The hole in the stool being a common thing in real life medieval furniture, and you trying to spin it becuase you havent seen one and you think is uncomfortable takes the fucking cake lol. But please, coninue, all your posts are making me laugh a lot.

Not really. If you look at my first post I said I actually agree the chair in the hole looks kind of cool. I just said it looks uncomfortable to sit in, and wasn't sure why anyone would want a stool like that by a table. People then said it was for milking cows, but I didn't see a farm or anything in the picture, which is why I then asked what region the stool was from.

There are tons of stools, wood objects, et cetera. Halk is still doing them. People can leave their feedback. SO if this was a farm stool I would leave feedback saying hey change it back man. But if it's just a normal stool for sitting then IDK. I'm sure they had those too back then guy.

In fact, I will drop this line by Halk to see what he thinks. He is open to changing things, so people here being entirely ridiculous and hostile is just what it is.

Yudoken

Agreed, but MGS5 is also running at like 3x the framerate of TW3 PS4 :x

I don't think it's fair to judge the quality of textures from the console versions.

The pc version is obviously the version with the highest quality version and is not limited by the hardware.

Neith

Banned
It's one of my favourite games of all time, but it had some of the worst texture pop in I've seen since Mass Effect. I'd be looking at pixelated models of what are supposed to be buildings for like 5 or 6 seconds on the PS4 version.

The pop-in can be lessened on PC a lot. I was wondering about pop-in from Assassin's Creed 4. I wanted to play it but people kept saying it had terrible pop-in even on PC. Horizon on my SSD has loads of pop-in as well. Witcher 3 on Ultra with some ini tweaks and the LOD mod--not sure it does much--actually is better than most games I have seen. Have not played on PS4 hopefully a Pro patch can help it out.

And they said they improved it for DLC, which I have not yet played.

thelastword

Banned
Ah, so OP is judging the Witcher 3 against 2 games that came out after it...and for some reason MGSV...which makes no sense because it's a cross-gen game in obvious ways graphically.

Photogrammetry yields more believable detail on equivalent resolution textures, and without it MGSV would look even older than it still is. I mean look at any outdoor area in the game, the foliage density is significantly lower, and the asset variety/density in base areas with humanoids is on a whole other level below Witcher 3. Primal has similarly if not more impressive foliage in terms of fidelity, but nothing touches Novigrad as a graphical feat.

Horizon is an impressive looker, but their procedural generation techniques just seem like a next step when it comes to optimization that allowed them to do more fidelity wise on console hardware. Still weirded out why the animation on NPCs you talk to is so bad though.

Witcher 3 without mods still looks incredible in places that isn't just a result of good art direction, but some impressive fidelity with a crap ton of assets on screen at any one time...for a budget lower than plenty of other AAA games. Texture wise the game isn't below average vs. anything else I saw in 2015.
Even at launch the game was no stalwart when it came to textures, it's not me just bringing that up now....I think the conversation about Witcher 3 and it's downgrades from the initial reveal stole quite a bit of the conversation then, especially how dialled down everything became including textures, which took the greatest hit along with lighting and foliage.

Technically, if you look at vram count on W3 at different resolutions you wll see how modest texture allocation is. I mean, it's great that many people with 2GB cards can play it maxed out, but if we're being honest with ourselves, that also presents limitations and sacrifices which are no doubt being remedied with these mods....

Very typical of video game discussion these days. Some aspect of a game is only 99% perfect, and theoretically could be improved... the game is shit. Pure garbage.
Are you projecting things into the conversation? Say one say the other, no one including me said Witcher 3 is shit or pure garbage. I have not even discussed what i think of the game, but this is not the thread for that discussion.

At this point, people should really disassociate critique of graphcial features of a game as opposed to the gameplay quality of a game, the latter being subjective as it is....but here the gameplay is not being derided...However, aspects of the graphics are being improved and it presents a notable uptick in a weak aspect of the game. I think that's a good thing in the final analysis, but apparently some people would rather keep those low rez textures just to oppose my viewpoint, but I digress...

Yes some textures aren't perfect and is totally cool to improve a game, I never said it wasn't so I don't really know why you are bringing that up.

My point still stands, IMO this particular mod fucks the art a little, the new textures look too realistic and the color pallet feels wrong, W3 is supposed to look more like a fantasy world. But maybe it's just me.
Fantasy or not, many graphical features in Witcher 3 target realism, it's how we know what they are. Witcher 3 does not depict a cartoony artsle or CG look. Wood suppose to look like wood, steel like steel, grain like grain, Geralts beard like beard. Thatch suppose to look like thatch and grass like grass etc... It makes no sense to suggest it's the artsyle that's responsible for the simplified quality. The many low rez elements in the enviro, like; wood, roofs, ground, backgrounds, grain etc... is not an artsyle, it's a cost cutting measure so the games could run on low end systems and is a sacrifice to the overall graphical quality of the game.

I don't think textures are witcher's 3 only graphical sorepoint though. I think the foliage, lighting and lod are not all that great either, but I focused on the textures because some mods were really shaking things up there and improving things, hey, I find that's a great thing, but "what do I now right" ........

I'm playing Witcher 3 right now and I get where the OP is coming from, even with maxed out texture settings, some of the scenes have really messy backgrounds, e.g. character close ups in buildings. I get it, optimization through ressource management in a 2 year old game, but it creates a really jarring difference between good character textures and the muddy wall that's right behind him.

Luckily someone made a great effort to fix this in his spare time and the results so far are very satisfying.
Thank you....I bet you if CDPR improves textures for the XBONEX patch, some persons will appreciate it and it will become all the rage. I believe the hulk mods are quite good at improving the game and I rarely dabble into mods if at all.

The last PC game I modded was Oblviion tbh...

witcher 3 foliage and environment materials are definitely rather weak
I thought that was a known quantity, but clearly some people have other ideas or whatever else....The debate over how much things were downgraded from initial reveal did happen here on gaf and that conversation centered around textures, lighting and general detail...All of a sudden people will have you believe I'm taking bizarro pills...."Heh", well unless Dc's legends of tomorrow, manipulated the timeline and created an aberration on discussed strengths and weakneses of W3 at launch, I don't see how what I'm saying here is far fetched at all.

The funny thing is, screens and even the basic comparison videos I've linked exposes some of the weakneses quite easily and even worse for consoles since they have weaker texture quality on what is already modest looking textures at the highest PC quality.

Call me up when your fave is the game of the generation, better textures or not.
Heh, this has nothing to do with your fave game of the generation. It doesn't reduce your perception of the game and that's good, but these conversations can be had and is very valid. Of course, some people love for graphical quality to be great, so you can't just tell them "shut up and go play the best game of all time"...now can you? People value different things and have different opinions, strange isnt' it? Personally, I love a great balance on all aspects of a game, but if one aspect of a game suffers too much, especially when it comes to graphics I will notice it and take issue.

As I said, the mod improves W3, so I don't know what the hubbub is about, well looking at some of the people who posted here I know clearly what they're about, so trying to make the mod here look insignificant or affecting the artstyle is so out of leftfield. I think the modder should be praised tbh..

Looks glorious to me. Sure there are some dodgy textures here and there, but when considered holistically the game looks stunning. A wonderful sense of place.
I think there are more than some dodgy textures here and there, but I think the proof is in the pudding now. wholistically, I dont want to go there, but like many others fail to do, I respect your opinion, perhaps we can have that conversation on the total composition of the graphics and final image when they patch this to XBONEX...Perhaps we can discuss how textures, foliage, animation, lod, lighting all come together and discuss how cohesive everything is...

lmao this got me
It was not meant to be a joke, the poster has yet to show another shot of water to prove his point. In any case, I'm sure I have a few water shots of HZD, but I have no Exfat formatted storage at hand presently.

As it stands, Arkham, Primal and Watchdogs 2 are very impressive, but people took no issue with thsoe games, but yet took issue because HZD was mentioned, I'm thinking because it's exclusive, but then it's in the same genre.....TBT,there are games releasing today in specific genres that are still outclassed in visuals from games released much earlier. So some of the posts which spoke about release date etc.. I don't think it matters too much at all. Arkham lauched just after W3 and it's texturework detail, it's use of tesselation, pom and the quality of water textures are phenomenal, yet it also run very well from day one...but I guess, that's why many people didn't contest that one, so I think the point is made.

The point is simple though, Witcher 3 is getting a nice little overhaul with these mods, an area where it was behind many openworld games and I think that's a good thing. I hope CDPR decides to improve said aspect as well come November, I'm sure we will all appreciate that despite some of the reactions in this thread.

Neith

Banned
ALL I WANT in my open world games is an LOD/draw distance slider like they have in Watch Dogs 2. For all games. Seriously, I don't care if it kills the PC. Just give us the options for it. I could not even play the last Assassin's Creed I attempted because the thing was literally popping before my eyes on every character and everything in front of me a hundred feet. It was so distracting as to be comical.

Witcher shadows can be modified, but they do rape the performance. Even with the LOD mod a decent amount of stuff still pops.

CD said they improved their engine quite a bit for the DLC, so I think by the time their next engine hits it should be good to go.

At any rate I have no idea about agendas here or console warriors or anything of that nature. I can see why some people don't like the mod. But if you just don't like it because you cannot use it well that is a different story. Halk is totally open to suggestions so if you care enough to post in the thread I don't see a problem with dropping your opinion by Nexus. He does listen to people.

I'm pretty picky about mods and so far when you actually play with this one most of it looks good. A consistency level needs to be met, but right now it looks great to me. The saturation and low res detail of certain things always stood out before, and it did not mesh with the artstyle very well IMO. Mostly just stuff like books, bear rugs, and wood stumps for the most part. Those were the things that were sorely in need of changing. A lot of the wood stuff too.

For me the stone walls and stuff looked pretty good in the original. Halk's version just kind of makes the stone pop out. Whether you like that or not is up to you. In most cases I like it.

Witcher 3 is a big game. And they had to get this running on the Xbox One too. So yeah it did have some limitations it had to abide by, and I guess they made the decision that their engine was not ready for high-res stuff. You can see this in the tiny 800MB they reserve for texture memory on Ultra.

I have full faith their next engine version is going to be killer though.

Ahasverus

For a game of the sheer size of TW3, any compromise is acceptable. I'd rather have them lowering texture quality than for them to skimp on good writing, world building and quest design.

Budi

I do agree the stool with the hole seems okay, but it's not very pragmatic at all. No one would put a hole there in this day and age.
Also, why in god's name would a stool have a large hole in it where your butt goes LOL? It makes no pragmatic sense whatsoever and no one would ever do that.
Wtf, are you trolling or just haven't seen much? Firstly Witcher isn't about this day and age, it's medieval fantasy world. Secondly, plenty of stools have holes in them even modern ones. It's easy to pick up when moving it. This is pretty much what we are seeing in that Witcher picture.

Fantasy or not, many graphical features in Witcher 3 target realism, it's how we know what they are. Witcher 3 does not depict a cartoony artsle or CG look. Wood suppose to look like wood, steel like steel, grain like grain, Geralts beard like beard. Thatch suppose to look like thatch and grass like grass etc...

You don't get it. To some of us the mod doesn't completely respect the art of the game, this isn't about the quality of the textures, even tho they are not cartoony there is a clear artsyle behind and some changes are not following it (imo). Some people can dislike the mod, it's also ok for you to like it.

It makes no sense to suggest it's the artsyle that's responsible for the simplified quality.

I never said that. It seems you are the one projecting.

Although The Witcher 3 has some inconsistent texture work, it also has some of the best demonstrations of PBR I've seen a game - for a game of its size it's difficult to have all texture work to the best quality.

Peroroncino

Bad JPG, full of compression, but the texturework still shows it's strength, there's depth to the textures and it's not all flat.....The water seems to be a bug....

I guess we may have a different set of eyes..Are you saying you can't see those low rez textures in the Witcher backgrounds and ground from the pics that poster used? Also, there's a difference between DOF and low rez textures...

lmao

its a thinly veiled HZD vs witcher 3 thread

Caayn

I've actually got a stool like that at home. It makes a lot of pragmatic sense actually, it's super easy to pick-up and move around and you don't even notice the hole when you sit on it due to the way your own weight distributes itself across your bottom when you sit.

Also if you've ever visited an old castle there's a large chance that you've come across a few of those stools.

Qassim

I remember the stools in my school science classrooms, they had holes in them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thelastword is the worst poster on GAF.

He's like one of those troll posters that actually means what he says. I'll always remember him for those OG Fable comments. Not surprised to see that brought up on page 1.

Also, that Halk mod is bad. The textures are inconsistent and ruin the art direction of the game. Some texture mods are good, but the Halk mod in particular is really, really bad.

There, I think that about sums up the thread nicely :)

mephixto

Banned
Wtf, are you trolling or just haven't seen much? Firstly Witcher isn't about this day and age, it's medieval fantasy world. Secondly, plenty of stools have holes in them even modern ones. It's easy to pick up when moving it. This is pretty much what we are seeing in that Witcher picture.

Bad stool, full of dirt, but the woodwork still shows it's strength, there's depth to the textures and it's not all flat.....The hole seems to be a bug....

Top Bottom