• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX nearly finished.. And more Wii software!

Ponn01 said:
FFS thats the worst hyperbole/put words in mouth/skip over any and all points made comeback i've ever seen. God forgive someone tries to have a rational discussion on GAF anymore. I haven't said one damn thing about Nintendo yet I MUST be trolling Nintendo because I have my doubts about a game. Some doubts brought up by other people in the same damn thread.

So I take it you're still stuck on "Anger"?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ponn01 said:
FFS thats the worst hyperbole/put words in mouth/skip over any and all points made comeback i've ever seen. God forgive someone tries to have a rational discussion on GAF anymore. I haven't said one damn thing about Nintendo yet I MUST be trolling Nintendo because I have my doubts about a game. Some doubts brought up by other people in the same damn thread.

I highly encourage the continuation of this discussion. What exactly do you hate about the DS and/or Nintendo?

Lolz. I know Ponn01 has been pro-sony in the past, but within the context of the discussion I think its fine if he dislikes that it isn't HD. I personally want to play through Dragon Quest 8, but some of the complaints leveraged against it + some of the innovations being put forth in the DS incarnation of the next major title in the series make me kind of want to play that more, since I don't need as much time as i would to play through 8.

if the game is so multi-player heavy, they should've kept it as an ARPG. sorry, but there's no way it could work as turn-based. unless they've got a thing or two up their sleeve

i'm not the biggest DQ fan. in every game i felt like i was trudging along and kept asking myself why this is such a mammoth in jpn. but that said, DQVIII was insanely fun and i loved every last bit of it. i don't know why i liked it so much better - maybe it was the first one that wasn't uber archaic. i hope level 5 continues the magic with the next one

Aeana

Tyrone Slothrop said:
if the game is so multi-player heavy, they should've kept it as an ARPG. sorry, but there's no way it could work as turn-based. unless they've got a thing or two up their sleeve

No way it could work turn-based? Imagine what happens in Persona 3 when you send your group out and a member gets into a fight: they begin battle, but all you can see is them trading blows with the monster on the screen. If you walk up to it and touch it, you join in. From there, it'll work just like any other DQ game: all players input their commands, and then watch the actions play out.

This is just one of the ways it could work. I have no idea how they've actually implemented it, since they seem so averse to showing us new media.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DQ IX, heck yeah!

I would have liked if they had gone along with their Dragon Quest:Crystal Chronicles type game, but I have faith that this version is the way to go.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I wonder if Ponn01 has even bothered to touch any of the 2D incarnations of Dragon Quest.

If you have then why are you so bothered about where the new Dragon Quest heads to?

Aeana said:
No way it could work turn-based? Imagine what happens in Persona 3 when you send your group out and a member gets into a fight: they begin battle, but all you can see is them trading blows with the monster on the screen. If you walk up to it and touch it, you join in. From there, it'll work just like any other DQ game: all players input their commands, and then watch the actions play out.

This is just one of the ways it could work. I have no idea how they've actually implemented it, since they seem so averse to showing us new media.

i haven't played persona 3 yet, but that sounds like a way it could work. and i'm thinking of other ways it could as well

but with multiplayer rpgs think real-time is the smoother way to go, personally. but i understand the japanese fans would probably be too upset (allegedly, a famitsu poll is what swayed the tide of development)

batbeg

I really, really didn't like DQVIII (my only experience of the series) so I was happy to hear about the action aspects, and sad to hear it revert back to turn-based. So long as the multiplayer is fun, though, I will probably still be getting this game. If it's something where I can play through the whole story with my fiancee, that would be amazing.

So... I'm happy about the multiplayer, but not so happy if it's a seperate mode :(

Ponn

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
So I take it you're still stuck on "Anger"?

Yea i'm angry wnen someone comes in, tells me my opinion is wrong because she and 4 other people I don't really know don't share my opinion. Then said person jumps to "oh he must be a nintendo hater conclusion". You want to know what it was I didn't want to say but you assumed I meant? It was certain peoples superiority complex and penchant for jumping down peoples throats in threads like this. And I wonder why I would think that. hmmmm....did I attack anyone? nope. Did I express that I was an ultimate DQ lover and my opinion is the right one, oh wait, no that was someone else telling me my opinion was wrong because they are the guru and I shouldn't dare feel like I want the sequel to a high profile RPG game on a console. How dare I have an opinion. *hugerolleyes*

I highly encourage the continuation of this discussion. What exactly do you hate about the DS and/or Nintendo?

Nada. Zip. Zero. Where have I said that. Please, PLEASE show me where I have said that. Oh wait, knee jerk fan reaction, somebody isn't jizzing over a game for a Nintendo product so I just have to be a Nintendo hater. I couldn't possibly be talking about the game. I couldn't possibly be reasonable in having doubts on a high profile RPG being on a portable, expressing the same damn concerns that others are but still getting jumped for.

Red Scarlet

Playing FF4-6 two player shows to me that turn-based multiplayer not only can work, but can be a lot of fun as well. And if it's local-only, communication would make a non-ATB battle system work fine.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Ponn01 said:
Yea i'm angry wnen someone comes in, tells me my opinion is wrong because she and 4 other people I don't really know don't share my opinion. Then said person jumps to "oh he must be a nintendo hater conclusion". You want to know what it was I didn't want to say but you assumed I meant? It was certain peoples superiority complex and penchant for jumping down peoples throats in threads like this. And I wonder why I would think that. hmmmm....did I attack anyone? nope. Did I express that I was an ultimate DQ lover and my opinion is the right one, oh wait, no that was someone else telling me my opinion was wrong because they are the guru and I shouldn't dare feel like I want the sequel to a high profile RPG game on a console. How dare I have an opinion. *hugerolleyes*
yes, but it's the same shit in every thread you would think that after a year people will get over it, but it seems that's not the case.

it's like going to a MGS4 thread and posting how it would be nice on 360, it's an opinion too!

Durante

batbeg said:
I really, really didn't like DQVIII (my only experience of the series) so I was happy to hear about the action aspects, and sad to hear it revert back to turn-based.
Hey, that's exactly my experience. (And also why I'm not at all bothered by the series going DS)

Error said:
it's like going to a MGS4 thread and posting how it would be nice on 360, it's an opinion too!
I think there's a huge difference between the two. In your example, it's basically the same game. Ponn01 is disappointed because it will be a very different game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ponn01 said:

Nada. Zip. Zero. Where have I said that. Please, PLEASE show me where I have said that. Oh wait, knee jerk fan reaction, somebody isn't jizzing over a game for a Nintendo product so I just have to be a Nintendo hater. I couldn't possibly be talking about the game. I couldn't possibly be reasonable in having doubts on a high profile RPG being on a portable, expressing the same damn concerns that others are but still getting jumped for.

i think its time you took a break, man.

Ponn01 said:

Looks like you haven't even made it out of Denial yet.

It takes time, son. Don't worry, you'll eventually pull through.

cryptic

PantherLotus said:
i think its time you took a break, man.

Nah, it's cool, I'm glad he cleared that up.

Although I don't have any idea what kind of response he expected considering that things have been set in stone for the past year.

lyre

blahblah .. Dragon Quest .. blahblah HD graphix, blahblah AI ... blahblah blah physics ... blahblah redbook music ... blahblahblah. That is how Dragon Quest should be.
Blah.

Minsc

Gold Member
traveler said:
I don't even agree with him and Ponn is totally in the right here. Stop shoving words into his mouth.

No one is right who complains about a game not being high enough resolution for them. The game is not about the resolution, and if it bothers you that much, just suck it in for 5-10 years, things will change eventually. Probably for the worse.

I've been replaying X-Com via Pocket UFO, which runs at 320x240, and it's been a blast. I don't sit there thinking if only they did this at a higher resolution. But whatever.

I need to revisit that Dragon Quest Appreciation Thread, as the only DQ I ever played was the original on the NES. One of these days, I have some catching up to do.

jeremy1456

To be completely honest I wish they'd make a new fully 2-D mainline Dragon Quest game again.

I'm perfectly happy with how Dragon Quest IX is looking though.

Lightning

Banned
Excellent. The sooner DQIX is out of the way S-E can focus on that all important FFXIII release.

And I want to play DQIX, so the sooner it hits Japan, they can get working on the US release and then I will import and play away. :D

lyre

Lightning said:
Excellent. The sooner DQIX is out of the way S-E can focus on that all important FFXIII release.
Yes! SE needs to free Horii from DQ9 so he can get back to working on and putting all his focus on Final Fantasy 13 Fabula Nova Crystallis. 2008: Believe

Red Scarlet

Lightning said:

FF13 is nowhere near as important as DQ9, sales/money wise in Japan though.

Johnas

I was just thinking about this game yesterday and wondering when we'd hear more.

If this game doesn't come out in NA by at least this fall, I will complain about it on an internet message board! NeoGAF, specifically!

DQIV, DQV, and DQIX all out in NA this year? Could it happen? Maybe V would get pushed back to next year.

farnham

Banned
Lightning said:

And I want to play DQIX, so the sooner it hits Japan, they can get working on the US release and then I will import and play away. :D
Im sure the FF XIII release has slipped from all important to kinda important in SEs strategy.. DQ IX is top priority..

And I really dont get your logic since FF XIII and DQ IX are completely separate projects after all

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm also very interested on playing the DS remakes, I hope they all get localized at some point.

And I believe (hope) Lightning was talking on a personal level about the importance of FF13 vs the importance of DQ9.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Durante said:
I think there's a huge difference between the two. In your example, it's basically the same game. Ponn01 is disappointed because it will be a very different game.
huh? it would've been the same game, you think DQ is gonna change because of HD graphix?

it didn't change on PS1 it didn't change on PS2, it wouldn't have changed on PS3.

besides my point is that both of those arguments are opinions, which add nothing to the discussion. it's tiring reading the same crap after a year.

FF13 is nowhere near as important as DQ9, sales/money wise in Japan though.
not to mention that DQ9 is a gold mine compared to FF13. SE can make 10 DQ9s with the budget of FF13.

Lightning said:

Nice edit there. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Encouraging to hear. Like others, I had begun to question the status of the title.

Do we have any idea what kind of singleplayer and multiplayer modes it will have? I know it was originally unveiled as some kind of FFCC-esque (seemingly) ARPG, but then morphed back into a more traditional JRPG format, correct? I hope it's still a 100+ hour quest full of yumminess!

What about the online mode?

batbeg

Himuro said:
facepalm.jpg

So you were hoping they would change the identity of a series you don't even like in the first place. Right.

Yeah I know... it must be a totally alien concept that I am happy about a system which I was unhappy with changing to something I think sounds more enjoyable would be a welcome change for me, right? It isn't that difficult to understand - and honestly, I don't care if everything about the game is the exact same so long as there's some good multiplayer fun to have, which was my main point.

Gigglepoo

This will probably be the first game in the main series I end up playing. The first game I played in the universe was on the NDS (Rocket Slime) so it makes sense that the first real game will be on a portable as well. I just hope it's as fun as RS. That was a pretty sweet game.

Comic

batbeg said:
Yeah I know... it must be a totally alien concept that I am happy about a system which I was unhappy with changing to something I think sounds more enjoyable would be a welcome change for me, right? It isn't that difficult to understand - and honestly, I don't care if everything about the game is the exact same so long as there's some good multiplayer fun to have, which was my main point.

Just curious, do you often buy things you don't like, and hope they change into something you do? Because that's all I got from that.

Red Scarlet

If you never gave a shit about it, there's no reason it should give a shit about you.

If you do get the game batbeg, hopefully you have fun!

Teknoman

Gigglepoo said:
This will probably be the first game in the main series I end up playing. The first game I played in the universe was on the NDS (Rocket Slime) so it makes sense that the first real game will be on a portable as well. I just hope it's as fun as RS. That was a pretty sweet game.

Well its basically the herald of all Japanese turn based RPGs as we know them today (Didnt DQ I release before FF I?) so as long as you like:

Turn based RPG battles that require you to think things through, especially at bosses.
Epic soundtracks
Akira Toriyama designed characters and Monsters

Then by all means you should like any main series Dragon Quest game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
batbeg said:
Kinda, yeah. There are tons of changes I'd make to the DMC series so that I could actually enjoy it, but then it would probably be a lot like Final Fantasy so maybe I should just go play those instead.

Link Man

Banned
Aeana said:
The way that's phrased is actually kind of worrying. If the single-player and multi-player games are actually the same game (like single-player and then co-op, but with the co-op in mind first and foremost), then it'll probably be DQ3-style create-a-party even for single-player. I really don't know if something like that would do very well in the west -- especially after DQ8, which was the most character-oriented game in the series.
Buh-wah? In a land where WoW has millions of players, I doubt it's going to be too much of a problem.

Aeana

LinkAMN said:
Buh-wah? In a land where WoW has millions of players, I doubt it's going to be too much of a problem.

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG.
From what I gather from western JRPG players, they only play them for their story and characters.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The funny thing about his comment and about wanting change: I can recognize that part within me, and you too (@ fellow DQ fanship), that would object just as vehemently if the game formula changed TOO much. Like the FFVII+ generation assuming (correctly) that FFXIII will be only on the PS3, or when Metroid turned into an FPS.

I mean, he's a schmuck for the way he said it, but we're all the same way too. Perhaps the wisest of us stay out of threads of games that we're not interested in, you know, rather than coming in and suggesting all these things that take the spirit of the game away from its intention.

This post was going to be an inflammatory post about how much I hate the idea of multiplayer in my DQ. And halfway through it I started sounding like the dumbass above, so I wrote this instead. Who knew.

Aeana

I don't mind multi-player as an option... but the thing is, I'll never use it. Dragon Quest is about an incredible single-player adventure through and through, and that's what I love the series for. So the question is: will the single-player experience suffer due to the inclusion of the multi-player, or is multi-player just an added layer to what's already there? If it's the former, I'm definitely not going to be happy. And unfortunately, with how much they've focused on the multi-player in the limited amount of media we have received, it seems like that could be the case.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
that's my concern as well aenea. my bigger concern is that they are ALREADY the company that requires ridiculously priced strategy guides to not accidentally screw yourself out of treasure or missed opportunities, i can only imagine at how they will reward multiplaying trojans looking for better loot.

I do welcome a return to grinding though. I love that shit. Will miss the 2D screens from I-VII.

Lightning

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Nice edit there. :lol
Shh! :lol

And what I mean about release is S-E are not going to release FFXIII until many months after DQIX releases. Therefore the longer DQIX takes, the longer we wait for FFXIII. If DQIX comes out this year, and it should, we should expect FFXIII Q1 next year which would be perfect.

Stage On

If DQ9 plays like 3 did only with better graphics and stuff then I won't mind since 3 is one of the best games in the entire series.

Now if they'd only hurry up and bring the ds remake of 4 over to north america already.

Aeana

Error said:
I called it a long time ago, DQ9=modern DQ3.

But will you create characters of a specific class, or will it have a class system like DQ6 and 7? That's the big question!

Top Bottom