• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 26 - December 2nd | I got a Ph.D. in Mahvel Theory

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The thread title... damn.

Also extra mad props to Tizoc for pulling tonz of footage from the Japanese interwebs.

Tizoc

The thread title... damn.

Also extra mad props to Tizoc for pulling tonz of footage from the Japanese interwebs.

I would give you the honor of making the next 'Series is XX years old' thread...if you knew what the game is >=3

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I would give you the honor of making the next 'Series is XX years old' thread...if you knew what the game is >=3
Nah dude you deserve it.

Though KOF XIV and GAROU 2 OTs ARE MINE!

Tizoc

Nah dude you deserve it.

Though KOF XIV and GAROU 2 OTs ARE MINE!

You may have your KoF, but *powers up chainsaw blade* Garou is mine.
Come on brah, I can't be the only one who appreciates SNK's fighters...unless words fail you to describe their awesomeness

Venfayth

I will be at NEC this weekend for SF4 and Marvehl!

My main game is SF4, I just want to see how far I can get with my lame team in UMVC3 (trish/morrigan/doom)

Eyepatches are kawaii as fuck

Agreed.

ib1JJy1i6U6bQy.png

Simple solution: always use HCF/HCB instead of QCF/QCB. Those DPs will never come out that way.
So easy to do when I'm trying to get Inferno out right after blocking!

If you haven't already returned the stick to neutral when you hit the buttons for your first super, your second one will be a dragon punch.
Read the post again - I said it happens even if you return the stick to neutral. Give it a try in training mode, you'll be surprised.

Eyepatches are kawaii as fuck
How is having a gouged out eye cute? Eyepatches on girls freak me out.

How is having a gouged out eye cute? Eyepatches on girls freak me out.
He said eyepatches

This would be like saying kittens and puppies aren't cute after you shave off all their fur. I still get your point though. I don't see the appeal in an eyepatch unless she is a pirate or something.

Riposte

He said eyepatches

This would be like saying kittens and puppies aren't cute after you shave off all their fur. I still get your point though. I don't see the appeal in an eyepatch unless she is a pirate or something.

The best kind of eyepatch is the eyepatch hiding not a scarred or emptied eye, but an anime power-up behind it.

Tizoc

Well unless Persona 4 Arena gets released on US PSN during December, SFxT's my FG of the year as far as gameplay goes.
Overall though I'd say TTT2 still ones primarely due to it's content.

Chavelo

Marvel 3 is just so silly. It's stupid and chaotic and weird as hell.

That's why I love playing it. It's just so goddamn fun. I can just pick it up and do some crazy shit on it. It might seem like instant gratification on the surface but if you put time into it you can see there's hidden layer of goodness waiting there for you.

My favorite fighting game of all time? Nah...

My most played fighting game of all time? Of course. :D

So easy to do when I'm trying to get Inferno out right after blocking!

For a DHC there's not much excuse to not use HCF/HCB. Even when you are trying to get a QCB from a block you should be aware when it's safe to let go the block and the extra motion to make it a HCB isn't that much of a difference.

He said eyepatches

To me, eyepatches are used to cover up missing eyes. Anyone I've ever known with an eyepatch has a missing eye. So, the two just go hand-in-hand for me, and I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to use both of his/her eyes if they were functional. Using an eye patch for "fashion" is like wearing a leg brace around.

I've arrived at this point.
Damn straight. I would honestly pay a $5 monthly fee for this game if they kept improving it.

I find Marvel 3 insufferable. What's so good about it to you folks?
1) Creativity with teams.
2) Huge, amazing cast.
3) Fluidity in gameplay.
4) Creativity with combos.
5) Badass movesets with unique attributes and playstyles.
6) Fast-paced, demanding gameplay.

I don't understand how someone can't like it unless he/she just isn't good at it or doesn't like fighting games.

vulva

It's pretty easy to not like watching a game that is basically watching two people do bullshit for 10-15 seconds until someone slips up, then watch long combos, resets. If the reset doesn't work, then it's more bullshit, if it does work then it's death. Then it's just set ups again. Funny enough, what makes the game the most exciting is when someone fucks up. Not when someone plays well.

It's pretty easy to not like watching a game that is basically watching two people do bullshit for 10-15 seconds until someone slips up, then watch long combos, resets. If the reset doesn't work, then it's more bullshit, if it does work then it's death. Then it's just set ups again. Funny enough, what makes the game the most exciting is when someone fucks up. Not when someone plays well.

Yeah, everyone goes wild at a dropped combo, or when the underdog wins a match.

Riposte

I think Marvel 3 would be better with shorter combos. In many ways longer combos (the really long ones anyway) means you spend less time appreciating what is great about it. I think it is a pretty good game, but I can't say I don't understand why some people hate it.

The best kind of eyepatch is the eyepatch hiding not a scarred or emptied eye, but an anime power-up behind it.
Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai is my fav anime right now. Eyepatches are the new cat ears.

:3
To me, eyepatches are used to cover up missing eyes. Anyone I've ever known with an eyepatch has a missing eye. So, the two just go hand-in-hand for me, and I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to use both of his/her eyes if they were functional. Using an eye patch for "fashion" is like wearing a leg brace around.
People do and wear retarded shit in the name of fashion and trendsetting, but I think the eyepatch thing works more from the moe perspective(note: I have no idea what Moe even is).
1) Creativity with teams.
2) Huge, amazing cast.
3) Fluidity in gameplay.
4) Creativity with combos.
5) Badass movesets with unique attributes and playstyles.
6) Fast-paced, demanding gameplay.

I don't understand how someone can't like it unless he/she just isn't good at it or doesn't like fighting games.
If only more characters were good...
Everything Kars said can apply to TTT2 yet I dont see anybody in here playing it.
Creative and beast combos are only sexy when your company of choice made the game. I know this as someone who enjoys 2D combo fighters in general.

I'm not enough of a FG guy to make any kind of real judgement for anyone other than myself. But one of my big annoyances with Marvel is how you have a team synergy based game where practically any light touch can be converted into character death, usually with a strong possible mixup on the next incoming character. Speaking for myself I would like it more with more health, a higher percent of damage done as red health damage, a longer timer, and higher red life recovery when inactive. Give the ability to absorb a combo or two while still keeping the full team structure with point and assists intact and operating as a team. With the higher health recovery and more red damage there would be a little more emphasis on swapping out characters to help them recover and on creating teams where the order and positions of the three character can be mixed in different effective forms. And more choices between continuing to combo a character versus snapping in a reserve character to kill their red health.

*Shrugs* I'm probably a bad person to judge Marvel though. My favorite thing to play / watch is SSFIV with a defensive character who has to use all their buttons to hold ground and AA against an opponent. Which is probably about as far away from Marvel as you can get.

Azure J

The biggest pluses Marvel has at current are a near Smash Bros. level of freedom of movement (huge deal for me), infinite flexibility, and a (mostly) well realized cast. There are a few nutty to downright dumb as hell design decisions here and there, mostly on the character balance level (with one or two major mechanics needing a second look going forward), but the positives listed above almost completely make up for the latter.

What's more, it's a great spectator game and C.Viper/Dante/Strider is the funnest shit ever.

Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai is my fav anime right now. Eyepatches are the new cat ears.

:3

Ohhhhh, so that's where that Woop Woop thing came from. :lol

Horseress

Everything Kars said can apply to TTT2 yet I dont see anybody in here playing it.

I play both games and love them. TTT2 has lots of room to creativity and a roaster full of options, as much as Marvel has.
I can agree that Marvel is easier to learn, but people gave up from TTT2 without even play it, because it's "too hard". Their loss, it's an amazing game.

JeTmAn81

I find Marvel 3 insufferable. What's so good about it to you folks?

1. Characters. I am a huge Marvel comics fan, and I've been playing Capcom games since I was a kid. There's no other game of any kind I can think of that features as many characters that I've already got a personal connection to and love for.

2. Gameplay. Not having played Marvel 2, the three-on-three fighting system is completely novel to me and I find the intricacies of the way the game is designed to provide for nearly endless creativity in combat.

That's pretty much it. The first one is probably more important than the second for me, but without both of these primary elements I wouldn't be interested.

People do and wear retarded shit in the name of fashion and trendsetting, but I think the eyepatch thing works more from the moe perspective(note: I have no idea what Moe even is).
Moe is gross.

If only more characters were good...
Most of them are. I'm rocking a Ghost Rider team right now and demolishing people even though he's "low tier".

Creative and beast combos are only sexy when your company of choice made the game. I know this as someone who enjoys 2D combo fighters in general.
Find me something in TTT2 that's as sexy as FotF loops or hyper grav loops. That shit is hot.

rofl.

Or just have different tastes.
You say "different", I say "bad"!

Top Bottom