• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - Early Impressions Thread (MARK SPOILERS!!)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll be playing on Normal. Is madhouse unlocked only through the season pass? If so I'll have to wait. I don't like buying season passes without seeing some footage or more detail than what they've given us.

I missed this question, but Easy and Normal are unlocked from the start for everyone. Madhouse is only unlocked from the start if you pre-order the game, otherwise it's unlocked once you've beaten the game once.

Lulubop

Been dodging spoilers so far outside of that first ten minutes of the game video, but I'm so tempted to check. Fuckkk

sphinx

the piano man
Game is 100% Single Player.

Though as horror games go, they can be fun to have a group watching.

Purely sp from what has been said so far. DLX sounds sp, too. But we'll see.

thanks, that sounds good, as I don't want any MP thing in my horror games.

I wished I could come to terms with the first person thing,

I am trying to avoid media but every time I watch seconds of a trailer I get motion sickness with the ridiculousy shaky camera, which happens every time the main character runs or fights,

I am looking for a game to fill the evil within void and I want to hope this game can be it.

who are we playing as anyway? is the camera view that of "random lost guy"?

Dusk Golem

What exactly is Madhouse Mode? Just like a very hard mode or something?

Madhouse Mode is the game's hardest difficulty, but it does a number of differences.

Here's how I understand it at this point:

Casual (which I guess is the difficulty whoever the guy is that most GAF'ers are watching on stream):
-Frequent Checkpoints.
-High Regenerating Health (regenerates about a third to a half of your health back, plus regenerates a lot faster).
-Much slower enemies with less frequent attacks and dumber AI
-Less damage from enemy attacks
-Can save at Cassette Recorders whenever you want.

Normal:
-Moderate Checkpoints.
-Moderate Regenerating Health (regenerates a fifth to a fourth of your health back, but a bigger pause in regeneration and much slower than on Casual).
-Normal Speed enemies with Normal attacks (moves over twice as fast than Casual I hear) with more intelligent tracking AI.
-Normal damage from enemy attacks.

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.
-Faster Enemies with Special Attacks (may be able to do more deadly moves) with much smarter AI that are far harder to lose.
-Higher damage from enemy attacks.
-Cassette Recorders can only be saved at if you find a cassette tape, a new item exclusive to Madhouse which takes up inventory space and there's finite of. Basically Typewriters and Ink Ribbons from past games.
-Unconfirmed, but may be some special traps, enemies, and elements you need to survive as well not in other difficulties.

Dusk Golem

Dusk. Without spoiling, will this game scratch my itch for another Haunting Ground, AKA the best game ever?

I mean, I'm not watching the stream. But something I found interesting is that some of the peeps who worked on Haunting Ground worked on this game, many of them hadn't worked on a horror game since Haunting Ground, so that's promising.

Astral

Madhouse Mode is the game's hardest difficulty, but it does a number of differences.

Here's how I understand it at this point:

Casual (which I guess is the difficulty whoever the guy is that most GAF'ers are watching on stream):
-Frequent Checkpoints.
-High Regenerating Health (regenerates about a third to a half of your health back, plus regenerates a lot faster).
-Much slower enemies with less frequent attacks and dumber AI
-Less damage from enemy attacks

Normal:
-Moderate Checkpoints.
-Moderate Regenerating Health (regenerates a fifth to a fourth of your health back, but a bigger pause in regeneration and much slower than on Casual).
-Normal Speed enemies with Normal attacks (moves over twice as fast than Casual I hear) with more intelligent tracking AI.
-Normal damage from enemy attacks.

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.
-Faster Enemies with Special Attacks (may be able to do more deadly moves) with much smarter AI that are far harder to lose.
-Cassette Recorders can only be saved at if you find a cassette tape, a new item exclusive to Madhouse which takes up inventory space and there's finite of. Basically Typewriters and Ink Ribbons from past games.
-Unconfirmed, but may be some special traps, enemies, and elements you need to survive as well not in other difficulties.

Aside from what's unconfirmed and the faster/stronger enemies, it seems like Madhouse is basically the classic RE experience. I can't wait 9 days.

hughesta

Banned
I've been saying this is just another Outlast clone since the first moments of the first E3 reveal trailer and the Twitch stream linked here proves it, at least imo.

I watched about 15 minutes or so and the streamer put the VHS tape in to play Mia's stealth section. Aside from it being painfully short and pointless, with terrible stealth mechanics, it literally copies the concept that Outlast has where you're somebody carrying a camera around, moving around a seemingly abandoned house totally defenceless and all you can do is run and hide when eventually a scripted trigger box has the enemy grab you and the segment ends there. TOTALLY not from fucking Outlast, right guys?

People saying how you're not defenceless and you have options, well
in that VHS segment you have NO options - you run and hide, or have to start from an earlier checkpoint.

Also what's up with the character breathing so much to themselves like how the protagonist does in Outlast and Amnesia? It's actually distracting to listen to with headphones on.
is this a joke

Brhoom

Banned
I mean, I'm not watching the stream. But something I found interesting is that some of the peeps who worked on Haunting Ground worked on this game, many of them hadn't worked on a horror game since Haunting Ground, so that's promising.

What!?!

O..M..G!!!

This game went from being the highest hyped game for me since RE5 to I NEED THIS NOW!!!

Please arrive tommorw :(

Lucent

I missed this question, but Easy and Normal are unlocked from the start for everyone. Madhouse is only unlocked from the start if you pre-order the game, otherwise it's unlocked once you've beaten the game once.

Does digital count? I preordered on the psn store. Guess I didn't look at the details.

Linkura

Whoa whoa whoa, now that's something I wasn't expecting to read. Very nice.

Skab

Finally preordered. Now to decide if I want to start of madhouse right of the bat or just stick to normal. Hm.

I've been saying this is just another Outlast clone since the first moments of the first E3 reveal trailer and the Twitch stream linked here proves it, at least imo.

I watched about 15 minutes or so and the streamer put the VHS tape in to play Mia's stealth section. Aside from it being painfully short and pointless, with terrible stealth mechanics, it literally copies the concept that Outlast has where you're somebody carrying a camera around, moving around a seemingly abandoned house totally defenceless and all you can do is run and hide when eventually a scripted trigger box has the enemy grab you and the segment ends there. TOTALLY not from fucking Outlast, right guys?

People saying how you're not defenceless and you have options, well
in that VHS segment you have NO options - you run and hide, or have to start from an earlier checkpoint.

Also what's up with the character breathing so much to themselves like how the protagonist does in Outlast and Amnesia? It's actually distracting to listen to with headphones on.

Nice drive by, junior.

Lucent

Yup, digital will 100% count. It's how I have the game pre-ordered but on PC, but it says when you pre-order about this.

Nice. I'm ready for the 23rd to hit midnight. And I've been playing the demo in vr to prepare. I'm able to play with all comfort options turned off (can use normal speed and that angle crap turned off.) without getting sick. The visual clarity takes a bit of a hit, but it's much more immersive.

Kazuhira

I only want to know if that rumored extra mode is true(which is supposedly kinda like Raid mode) and it's included in the base game.
I thought it would a dlc but the new details about the season pass seems to be all story-driven content.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nice drive by, junior.

Drive by or not, is there any validity to his/her claim? I love me some RE, even if 7 seems to be going in a different direction but I really didn't enjoy Outlast (not disputing its qualities as a potentially good game just that those kind of absolutely 'defence-less' games aren't my thing).

Drive by or not, is there any validity to his/hers claim? I love me some RE, even if 7 seems to be in a different direction but I really didn't enjoy Outlast (not disputing its qualities as a potentially good game just that those kind of absolutely 'defence-less' games aren't my thing).
VHS sections are optional pieces of side content.

Lucent

Drive by or not, is there any validity to his/hers claim? I love me some RE, even if 7 seems to be in a different direction but I really didn't enjoy Outlast (not disputing its qualities as a potentially good game just that those kind of absolutely 'defence-less' games aren't my thing).

There are tapes in the game where you can play out events that happened with other people. Some have you playing as totally defenseless characters. That's probably what he saw and left at. They are optional, but can have interesting ways of possibly affecting the main game. Your main character in the game is not defenseless.

Mupod

Well the VR guy got banned but he was playing long enough to convince me.

Greenmangaming delivers the steam code instantly like all Capcom games and has it for 47.99, if anyone's going the PC route.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
VHS sections are optional pieces of side content.

There are tapes in the game where you can play out events that happened with other people. Some have you playing as totally defenseless characters. That's probably what he saw and left at. They are optional, but can have interesting ways of possibly affecting the main game. Your main character in the game is not defenseless.

Thanks for clarifying!

Lucent

Talking of which. Any psvr impressions?

My personal impressions are from the demo. It let's you do things you can't really do in the game from what I've seen. I could peek around corners without moving my character (but it was limited enough to be believable). And you can aim the reticle with your face positioning, so I had a much easier time getting headshots. The vr is well done and really immersive. The only thing that sucks is if you're not positioned right, you can see your hands being disembodied. And sometimes when you interact with things, the game does little quick cuts.

Jawmuncher

I only want to know if that rumored extra mode is true(which is supposedly kinda like Raid mode) and it's included in the base game.
I thought it would a dlc but the new details about the season pass seems to be all story-driven content.

Doesn't seem like it is.

Lucent

Yeah i think I'll skip this looks / plays like a indy western horror game, just using the RE brand name.

Damn. I gotta play those if so. =p

IIRC you can adjust the brightness in the headset

Hmm I'll have to try that out. I think the balance was pretty good by default. There were parts where I couldn't see the end of a hall until I got a few feet from the wall. Lol

LifeLike

Is this something we know from the demo already? I haven't played the demo yet so was wondering.

No it's not. Ethan opened a door to a basement and you could hear someone feigning. Then you see Mia climbing the stairs completely possessed and hitting you with a knife that she stabs in your hand. Then she kind of speak about an higher entity like "mother" in a schyzo way, anyways she is in a semi aware state, she's trying to resist to kill you and then she start to blow her head on the wall till she pass out. Pretty hardcore stuff I like that.

Can anyone confirm HDR on this pup?

Yes it's there, even in the demo. 4k is also supported.

Szadek

Madhouse:
-No Checkpoints.
-No Regenerating Health.
That sounds perfect for me.

Lucent

That sounds perfect for me.

Yeah. I kinda wanna do this mode, too. I want this to feel like some real survival stuff. If the stakes are higher, the threat will feel more real. I want to be shaking after every encounter. Lol.

Daffy Duck

Adding early access to difficulty levels to pre orders is fucking lame.

Daffy Duck

Its not tied to a season pass though, right there in the post you quoted it says if you pre-order. Still sucks but get it right.

I'd love to play those games, what are they?

It's not in the season pass, it's for pre-order the game in general.

I do agree it's dumb, but has been discussed. Season Pass is just additional content.

Yeah I stupidly misread the post, edited.

But it's still lame that it's a pre order bonus.

I mean the other pre order bonuses for this game are also lame. Not every game needs them FFS.

Lucent

Yeah I stupidly misread the post, edited.

But it's still lame that it's a pre order bonus.

I mean the other pre order bonuses for this game are also lame. Not every game needs them FFS.

Yeah. I'm gonna choose not to download the survival pack. I don't want help. Lol

Top Bottom