• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazons [devkit?] controller revealed by Brazilian FCC [Up: Additional Images]

Nzyme32

I'm going to add up the pieces and jump to a conclusion about what Amazon are doing:

original content + big budget developers + Android hardware + cloud services

=

Amazon wants to develop big budget games for the cloud that stream to cheap set top box type solutions, like Onlive or Gaikai but no ports or emulations, games developed specifically to run in (and there for work around) a high input latency environment.

I always remember Gabe Newell's comments on this kind of approach. He believes that it is inevitable that "the system will collapse under its own success", along with his belief that gaming will move to a point where sensitivity to latency will be greater than what a human can perceive and those experiences are impossible on these kind of services.... which may not really matter if they don't care about that sort of thing

That military green reminds me of classic Steam.

MhFhL.jpg

They're already doing that on PlayStation.

PS4 is still a $400 machine though. I'm guessing Amazon would be much more likely to be in the $150 range with much lower specs. Possibly even $99 for the streaming media system and an additional $50 for the controller.

That range would possibly get it into homes of folks who wouldn't typically pick up a console.

Vlade

I'm pretty sure there is a 360 controller inside that... thing. I can see the buttons poking through what I think is the top part.

I think the designers have gone over the controller enough to make sure it's comfortable.

Digital triggers. Ewww. Horrible. What were Nintendo thinking.

The pro controller, interestingly enough, is best for FPS games. Not really for racing games. Other games, it doesn't really matter that much. I suppose it depends on the game application.

Haines

Banned
Do we really expect them to make a controller that can compete? Let's be honest even if it is a prototype the retail product will suck

Hell ms makes the best controllers now and the of was crap

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The pro controller, interestingly enough, is best for FPS games. Not really for racing games. Other games, it doesn't really matter that much. I suppose it depends on the game application.

For FPS games, it seems pretty good. But I still prefer the Xbox 360 controller on my PC. And all the games are automatically mapped for it as well.

Frodo

I'll reserve judgment, specially about it being comfortable or not, after I have it in my hands. People said same thing about the Gamepad and it I feels very very comfortable to me.

DoubleTap

I think it looks fine. Not a looker by any means but I can't see it being uncomfortable. It's got a flat face but the grips look like they'll serve their purpose.

You should always base your design on the #1 company in a certain market. In the console market that is Sony, so the controller should be based off a Dualshock like what Logitech did.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Surprised so many people can judge comfort without holding it?

Looks fine. Who cares how it looks, it's how it plays. Knowing Amazon it'll be cheap, and hopefully have PC drivers.

nbthedude

I think it looks fine. Not a looker by any means but I can't see it being uncomfortable. It's got a flat face but the grips look like they'll serve their purpose.

That's my take. I don't understand people being all hyperbolic. It looks like it has everything it needs and follows the same design principles of the 360. Even the construction looks solid.

It's not amazingly sleek or anything but it looks totally functional and practical.

Somnid

You should always base your design on the #1 company in a certain market. In the console market that is Sony, so the controller should be based off a Dualshock like what Logitech did.

Is 360 not by far the biggest console in the US market? Also, Sony's stick placement is pretty much confirmed to be tradition more than researched ergonomics.

jett

D-Member
Doesn't look very nice, aesthetically or ergonomically. I predict Ouya 2.0: Worthless Gaming Device Boogaloo.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
They got the push, play ect buttons placement from Onlive controller

hCk784t.jpg

I guess this device will play Prime Instant Videos.

They're choosing the right controller for inspiration. But some of the sharper edges and alignment of controls/buttons obviously indicate one must go hands-on to see how it compares to proper Xbox controllers.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It never seems like Amazon gets the first gen of their hardware correct. Probably wait for rev 2 or 3 before I even think about looking at this initiative of theirs.

Looks like a cross between Wii Classic controller pro and Xbox controller but with more straight lines.
What's the button in the middle meant to have on it?

Top Bottom