• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

Wow. I find it pretty funny that it took 5 months for this information to come out. Many people played the game, but nobody noticed that the multiplayer was running at a lower resolution?

Also, why did Sony lie and say the MP was native 1080p @ 60fps? They specifically used that term, which is blatantly false

Hell, I guess this makes Titanfall a bit more impressive. Same framerate as Killzone but renders more pixels.

Lima

If it's good enough to convince people that it's just a poor aa implementation, wouldn't it mean its a successful up scaling method?

No because most people are not pixel counters. It's actually hard to tell the exact resolution. See Ryse where people always thought it was 1080p until Crytek told them otherwise.

Now with Killzone it looked blurry (showing all signs of scaling) but Sony kept on telling us that it's native 1080p so most blamed it on he AA solution.

KJRS_1993

....and this is why Gaf resolution threads make me laugh. Too many experts and nobody really knows shit. I mean, DF can't even be counted on.

Good times.

Armchair DevGAF out in full force pretty much every time somebody sneezes a number that sounds like a resolution.
Has it always been like this? Or is it just particularly bad because of the new consoles?

TheD

The Detective
The fact that no one knew or cared about this shows just how little all this shit matters outside of petty console wars on either side. Always built up into the worst news ever when publicized, but if no one bothers to check, no one knows or cares at all.

NO!
A game's rendering resolution does "matter"!
People passing it off as poor AA speaks more to the technique that GG used (and the fact that it is still native res vertically) than it does to res (not) mattering!

SparkTR

Im confused now, should I hate DICE or not? Considering all the stick BF4 has got (quite rightly), it seems DICE at least put some real effort into getting the MP to look as it did.

Damn its EA, ignore my reasoning!!!

ps3ud0 8)

The multiplayer for BF4 on PS4 is equivalent to slightly below medium settings on the PC version, it shouldn't take THAT much effort to get that running at 900p with framedrops.

Teddified

I'm beginning to think this is exactly what happened.

Yeah there was a huge push by the community for 60 FPS. I wouldn't be surprised if some higher ups decided to cash in on the bandwagon and GG had to try and make it at least somewhat possible, at least for a talking point.

Tobor

I'm consistent in my opinion. Anything less than 1080P sucks, full stop. It sucks on the Xbone, and it sucks on the PS4. My TV is 1080P and want the game to match.

Overall though, this changes nothing. PS4 will hit 1080P a lot more than Xbone will this gen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah, it is. Just barely.

960x1080 = 1,036,800 pixels

1408x792 = 1,115,136 pixels

Titanfall1Funny.gif

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Funny how no one noticed this.

Just like they didn't notice Playstation 4 was running Ghost at 720p instead of 1080p during Previews.

Pixel Counters be sleeping on the job. ;)
There were tons of people on GAF that spotted the resolution problem before it was confirmed.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Funny how no one noticed this.

Just like they didn't notice Playstation 4 was running Ghost at 720p instead of 1080p during Previews.

Pixel Counters be sleeping on the job. ;)

Unless I'm reading incorrectly, they are rendering at 960x1080 and upscaling, which would be easy to spot, they are doing something new with the temporal information from the previous frame in addition to newly rendered lines at 960x1080..

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is insane.

The fact we're just realizing this now goes to show that the ability to actually identify resolutions and the backlash generated by resolutiongate is extremely disproportionate.

MDSLKTR

Incredible that absolutely no one didn't report anything for 4 months. I thought it was a weird aa setting to keep the framerate loose.

DryvBy

Funny thing is, after going back to the campaign after 3 month break. I am starting to enjoy it. I think the patches released improved the game.

multiplayer was always blurry to me. Makes sense now.

Same here. SP was actually a lot of fun once I got past the 3rd and 4th segment.

iceatcs

There were tons of people on GAF that spotted the resolution problem before it was confirmed.

That's because near all people start counting from vertical for pixel counter hence why it didn't found any wrong on Killzone MP first place.

Havel

Wow. I find it pretty funny that it took 5 months for this information to come out. Many people played the game, but nobody noticed that the multiplayer was running at a lower resolution?

Also, why did Sony lie and say the MP was native 1080p @ 60fps? They specifically used that term, which is blatantly false

This had been speculated for a while, actually. But like some have said here already, it was blamed on a shitty FXAA implementation.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Sony employees just copy and paste tech info from Guerillia. Maybe they decided to lower the res at the last minute?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
lol Titanfall is higher resolution.

And it has a better framerate. :p

KZ:SF has more effects and apparently a more expensive upscaling method. Still, it's underwhelming that they had to drop half the pixel and still couldn't hit a more or less stable 60fps. They really should have gone for the singleplayer's setup. 30fps aren't brilliant in an online multiplayer game, but I'd prefer it over the very unstable 40-60fps framerate that I experienced.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Armchair DevGAF out in full force pretty much every time somebody sneezes a number that sounds like a resolution.
Has it always been like this? Or is it just particularly bad because of the new consoles?

There's a lot of talk about it because new hardware is out and we're all still trying to get a sense of what they're capable of. This will take many more months, so if you aren't interested in that conversation, why not stay out of those threads?

Nobody here needs to be reminded that resolution isn't the only thing that matters. Everyone knows it. People are focusing on resolution because that's the subject of the thread. Don't assume that's all they care about.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
No because most people are not pixel counters. It's actually hard to tell the exact resolution. See Ryse where people always thought it was 1080p until Crytek told them otherwise.

Now with Killzone it looked blurry (showing all signs of scaling) but Sony kept on telling us that it's native 1080p so most blamed it on he AA solution.

So running the game at half resolution makes the game looks like it has FXAA implemented but you get 60fps.

If I were guerilla, I'd make that choice every single time.

maneil99

This had been speculated for a while, actually. But like some have said here already, it was blamed on a shitty FXAA implementation.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Sony employees who just copy and paste tech info from Guerillia. Maybe they decided to lower the res at the last minute?

Its never been speculated....

I could have sworn that before launch Guerrilla said that Shadow Fall's multiplayer ran at a variable resolution to keep the framerate high. Must have dreamed it.

Except people did recognise the multiplayer image quality was off and couldn't put their finger on why. Now they know.
If the resolution was lower how come nobody could put a finger on why multi looked "off"? That is what I want to know.

Pachinko

That's actually kind of a clever resolution to use, as this thread demonstrates, no one noticed until it was pointed out yet even if you didn't hear about a game being "only 720p" you'd notice it the second you played it. The entire image gets kind of fuzzy looking.

This resolution likely makes motion look a little blurrier but on the whole the image quality is almost as good as FULLHD. Wouldn't be surprised to see more developers try things like this.

I haven't played the game myself nor do I own a PS4 but this seems to be more of a problem with rushing to make launch then anything else. I get the feeling they couldn't quite hit 60 FPS often enough but wanted it to run at higher then 30 so they left it unlocked all around. Were the game in the oven a bit longer , guerrilla might have opted for 30fps across the board with FULL HD.

VanWinkle

But I thought PS4 can hit 1080p 60fps with room to spare

...it can. Even PS3 could technically. The game has to be designed around that, and clearly KZ MP wasn't designed for both 1080p and 60fps. Probably designed for 1080p 30fps and then were pressured into 60fps, making them lower the res and have other poor optimizations at the last second, and they still couldn't get it to 60fps.

whitehawk

Banned
Instead of resolution, GG should have lowered the visuals (lighting, textures, effects, reflections) to get a solid 60 fps. As it is right now, it's only a solid 60fps for 2vs2 games.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Sony employees who just copy and paste tech info from Guerillia. Maybe they decided to lower the res at the last minute?

That's what I assume. They probably were having perf issues and lowered the res to get it to be acceptable. Even then, it still wasn't a stable 60fps either, so I can't imagine how the perf was at actual native 1080p...

Top Bottom