• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

do our phones need something special to have RCS? Or we just need to wait until our carrier enable it? Any specification?

Your carrier has to enable it. Once enabled make sure to go into settings in Google's Messenger/Android Messaging app and enable advance messaging. Other text messaging apps will eventually be able to use RCS once Google makes the API available.

Jeffrey

Sprint already launched RCS, T-Mobile has their own version of RCS but do plan to change to Google's Universal profile, and I believe AT&T has also signed on as a partner. Google Voice users will also have RCS.

Well. Good then. The question is will apple get on board?

I think Apple will eventually support RCS but it's very low priority for them. Google is going all in on it because their alternative is garbag. I know for a fact that they will add multi device rcs support probably next year.

this_guy

Well. Good then. The question is will apple get on board?

They won't any time soon. iMessage is superior to the standard sms/mms situation right now and Apple knows there are people that won't switch to Android because they lose iMessage.

In the US people for the most part use either standard sms/mms or iMessage (Whatsapp, Line, Telegram, etc never took off here). This will be an upgrade for everyone still using sms.

I think Apple will eventually support RCS but it's very low priority for them. Google is going all in on it because their alternative is garbag. I know for a fact that they will add multi device rcs support probably next year.

I think this too, but they won't do it any time soon until RCS is more widely available. At that point messaging between iPhone to iPhone is great, Android to Android would be great, but iPhone to Android would still be subpar sms.

What luck, phone was acting weird, I go to wipe partition cache and reboot, get 7.1.2 update once it's back up...Now I got to wipe it again after the download finishes

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
C5eC5cEUYAAtL8i.jpg

whole family's here

mystic white, astro black, and ice platinum

Oh, for anyone who got the "A change was detected on your Google account" and you were forced to sign in again today, I found this:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/140921?hl=en

"During routine maintenance, a number of users were signed-out from their Google accounts. If you were affected, please sign back in using your usual username and password at https://accounts.google.com."

So I guess we aren't all being hacked. Probably. That Cloudflare thing is kinda scary.

edit: A longer explanation is here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!category-topic/gmail/Kfsx8YjqAS4

Those LG OLED TVs though.

They're really not that great if you consider the whole package. I've owned plasma TVs, I know what zero black level (or close) is like. Black level is not, and has never been, the be-all and end-all measurement by which TV quality is judged.

OLED is fundamentally pretty cool as a display technology. I mean, I've owned these Samsung phones with Super AMOLED screens for like 5 years now. As far as TVs go however, LG manages to add poor supporting electronics which causes their TVs to get criticized for poor upscaling, motion handling, brightness, and near-black gray levels. On a TV where black is actually zero luminance, properly handling nearly black is pretty damn important. LG's LCD TVs consistently rank poorly compared to Samsung and Sony partly because they use IPS but also because their chipsets are quite bad.

Unfortunately Samsung is currently not in the OLED TV market at all. So we can't see how much better they would do than LG. Samsung's LCD TVs are well-known for top-quality chipsets, even though their LCD panels are so-so in everything but their top-end sets. Sony is actually introducing a line of OLED TVs this year, let's see how much better they can do than LG using LG's OLED panels.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oh, for anyone who got the "A change was detected on your Google account" and you were forced to sign in again today, I found this:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/140921?hl=en

"During routine maintenance, a number of users were signed-out from their Google accounts. If you were affected, please sign back in using your usual username and password at https://accounts.google.com."

So I guess we aren't all being hacked. Probably. That Cloudflare thing is kinda scary.

edit: A longer explanation is here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!category-topic/gmail/Kfsx8YjqAS4
Reassuring to hear. I figured it was a server punt. I lost my YouTube subscriptions :(

Saiyan-Rox

Google decided to drop Friday bombs: RSC Messaging is a MAJOR GO!

Google Blog

It does seem Google are finally taking notice of the iMessage thing and trying to do something about it.

I've always said the first thing they should do is make OEM use the default Google messaging app and now they're doing it. just need that RSC thing to takee effect on everything and we'll be ready to go.....As long as samsung takes notice and agree's.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, Android Messages just self installed on my tablet.

longdi

Banned
They're really not that great if you consider the whole package. I've owned plasma TVs, I know what zero black level (or close) is like. Black level is not, and has never been, the be-all and end-all measurement by which TV quality is judged.

OLED is fundamentally pretty cool as a display technology. I mean, I've owned these Samsung phones with Super AMOLED screens for like 5 years now. As far as TVs go however, LG manages to add poor supporting electronics which causes their TVs to get criticized for poor upscaling, motion handling, brightness, and near-black gray levels. On a TV where black is actually zero luminance, properly handling nearly black is pretty damn important. LG's LCD TVs consistently rank poorly compared to Samsung and Sony partly because they use IPS but also because their chipsets are quite bad.

Unfortunately Samsung is currently not in the OLED TV market at all. So we can't see how much better they would do than LG. Samsung's LCD TVs are well-known for top-quality chipsets, even though their LCD panels are so-so in everything but their top-end sets. Sony is actually introducing a line of OLED TVs this year, let's see how much better they can do than LG using LG's OLED panels.

Sony and Panasonic have OLED coming this year!

Incidentally, Sony Z9D and Panasonic DX902 are the best FALD LED last year.

Samsung and LG can suck it.

Quality post. I've had my 55" LG plasma since 2012, and it's still going strong, despite having previously been a display model from Costco.

I have absolutely no idea how much longer it'll last, but I'm hoping decent OLEDs are out and affordable by then.

RCS is cool and all and a good step up from SMS but it's nowhere near imessage. Benefit of messages on ios is that it's all done in one app and done well from facetime to wifi messaging to sms'ing, etc...

I'm glad google is rallying around Android Messages and I'm glad OEMs are doing the same (fuck you samsung lol) but there's still going to be a separate app where I'm talking to the same people on allo?

Are they going to make Allo the one app that supports everything from desktop clients, to wifi messaging, to SMS which I assume they'll add soon. Or is Android Messages going to have those features as well. But like...what if it doesn't? Are we destined to use separate apps forever?

Their messaging strategy is still dumb as hell.

vivftp

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231000806 said:
In before BezelGate.

Lol I know some will complain it doesnt have super slim bezels but that doesn't matter to me. There have been countless times I've appreciated the bezels on my Z Ultra when I wanted something to hold on to.

Anyways, we almost certainly won't see this phone at MWC and will have to wait some months for an official reveal.

Talon

RCS is cool and all and a good step up from SMS but it's nowhere near imessage. Benefit of messages on ios is that it's all done in one app and done well from facetime to wifi messaging to sms'ing, etc...

I'm glad google is rallying around Android Messages and I'm glad OEMs are doing the same (fuck you samsung lol) but there's still going to be a separate app where I'm talking to the same people on allo?

Are they going to make Allo the one app that supports everything from desktop clients, to wifi messaging, to SMS which I assume they'll add soon. Or is Android Messages going to have those features as well. But like...what if it doesn't? Are we destined to use separate apps forever?

The most useful thing about iMessage to me is that it carries over and is consistent on all three of my Macs, my iPad, and my iPhone, which seems like such a low bar for Google to pass since...you know, Hangouts or fucking Gmail, but they're still fucking around.

Looks like Samsung ain't backing RCS either. So the two biggest smartphone manufacturers that account for 40% of phones shipped annually aren't interested. Good luck.

newjeruse

Updated my HTC 10 to Nougat. My mail won't sync when I'm in Battery Saving mode and I can't find an option anywhere to adjust this. This can't be possible right? That's a completely ridiculous oversight.

vivftp

From Sony I want a premium phone with the Xperia XA design

Would be nice, but I don't think that could work with their fingerprint sensor on the side as that requires room for the electronics.

I am glad they moved the volume rocker back up above the fingerprint sensor though. Much easier to get to it.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Updated my HTC 10 to Nougat. My mail won't sync when I'm in Battery Saving mode and I can't find an option anywhere to adjust this. This can't be possible right? That's a completely ridiculous oversight.
Battery saving mode shuts down internet connectivity for background apps. That's one of the ways it saves battery. You can turn off battery mode in the settings.

clav

Probably not the strategy for first world countries. People who live in households that only have access to a smartphone and nothing else are probably the userbase in mind. No laptops or desktops. No exposure to Windows or Mac.

Benefit of using Allo is not requiring a Google account.

The most useful thing about iMessage to me is that it carries over and is consistent on all three of my Macs, my iPad, and my iPhone, which seems like such a low bar for Google to pass since...you know, Hangouts or fucking Gmail, but they're still fucking around.

Looks like Samsung ain't backing RCS either. So the two biggest smartphone manufacturers that account for 40% of phones shipped annually aren't interested. Good luck.

Too bad the strategy doesn't work for people who don't own anything Apple though.

Most important thing is carrier support before handsets. Google seems to secure support through its implementation of Project Fi.

RCS has been cooking for a long time, so hopefully it does replace SMS + MMS.

this_guy

RCS is an improvement to sms, so it needs to be enabled on the carrier side. Samsung's stock text messaging app can already handle RCS. It's enabled on T-Mobile's RCS (which is currently only T-Mobile to T-Mobile, but they stated they will be switching to Google's universal profile). It doesn't matter whether you text with Google's app, Samsung's app, or a third party app like Textra once Google opens up the api.

Top Bottom