• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs still coming to WiiU but at a later date

If June at the latest is the aim for the Watch Dogs release, it seems like the Wii U version would get lost in the big fall releases unless they shoot for August-September or something. I know I'm making a leap, though.

Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, chances are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

Plus, he doesn't think WatchDogs Wii U is competing against WatchDogs on other systems.

171814.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, chances are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

Plus, he doesn't think WatchDogs Wii U is competing against WatchDogs on other systems.

Nobody should even blast Ubisoft, they're the only third party to at least try to make something out of the WiiU.

If the WiiU is a dead end they shouln't even bother with a WiiU version. I would've pulled the plug a long time ago.

Exile20

It seems this game has been in development hell. Oh well, until they officially cancel it I might get it.

Silver lining, Wii U owners get to see if the game is a failure either with gameplay or bugs before they get a chance to buy it later.

jmizzal

I wish I could call and ask why the WiiU version is delayed lol, i'm still listening to the conf. call

edit thanks for that post shinobi, thats somewhat vague tho by them

added to the OP

Kriken

The system that needs 3rd party support potentially sabotaging their last viable 3rd party support? What is this? I don't even...

Full quote from Guillemot:

“We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team’s resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft,” CEO Yves Guillemot said during today's financial call.

Yeah, I'm sure it was a reaaaaaaaalllllly difficult decision after seeing how SC:B and ACIV sold last year.

I'm fairly certain that this is just PR-speak for "it's already cancelled internally, but announcing that now would get too much attention and damage our relationship with Nintendo." We'll see in the coming months.

That's good, I'll wait for my Wii U version. And if it doesn't come out in the end, I won't buy WD on any other platform (despite having a ps3,a 360 and a gaming PC). Do you want my money ubi? You know what to do.

Full quote from Guillemot:

“We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team’s resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft,” CEO Yves Guillemot said during today's financial call.

Yeah, I'm sure it was a reaaaaaaaalllllly difficult decision after seeing how SC:B and ACIV sold last year.

I'm fairly certain that this is just PR-speak for "it's already cancelled internally, but announcing that now would get too much attention and damage our relationship with Nintendo." We'll see in the coming months.

So basically, they delayed the Wii U version so they could allocate those team members to help with the other versions...Ubisoft doesn't think Watch_Dogs Wii U is worthy enough to have its own dedicated team to get it a simultaneous release. That's really telling.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
None of this scenario you've concocted makes any sense.

It's since he faced the reality with his Wii U launch month prediction in 2012 that he's gone insane, so much to say that Iwata shouldn't do Directs because that's time not spent in doing CEO things. It's such a clear insanity path, and still I'm surprised to see him going on.
One of the two will have to surrender sooner or later: Iwata or DragonSworne, who will be the first to quit?

So basically, they delayed the Wii U version so they could allocate those team members to help with the other versions...Ubisoft doesn't think Watch_Dogs Wii U is worthy enough to have its own dedicated team to get it a simultaneous release. That's really telling.

Precisely what I was thinking. Telling indeed.

"We don't think the Wii U version will sell very well, so we're putting our resources where we think it will benefit our team the most."

KHlover

Banned
Forget it, I think I'm just gonna stop supporting Ubisoft.
Same, not going to reward them for a delayed game. Decisions such as our might be the reason the game got delayed in the first place - I don't care.

I don't need 3rd party games on my WiiU, that's what my PC is for.

DragonSworne, let's work this out:

A) Ubisoft probably doesn't give a shit about what Iwata says at this point, given that they once delayed one of the games that Iwata was counting on to fill in Wii U's early 2013 lineup, and made it multiplatform.

B) None of Ubisoft's past releases on Wii U have had any kind of bizarre unique scheduling around Nintendo's first party releases.

It's far more likely that Ubisoft doesn't give a shit about the Wii U because it doesn't sell well and it doesn't sell games well, rather than a bizarre conspiracy theory in which Jerkface Iwata is a mean man who deliberately delays third party games because he's a poo head who smells like doggie doo and I hate him!!!!!!!

LoveCake

Have this on order for my WiiU going to switch the order now & will get this for my PS4.

I want to support Nintendo/WiiU but the game will be more expensive & i cannot see the online being much good & any DLC will skip the WiiU as well, it would work well with the second screen though.

I know that by cancelling my WiiU pre-order makes things worse but what are people supposed to do ?

The problem with your theory is that delayed SKUs have a much more limited ability to draw audiences when they have no additional features or significant upgrades to them.

A non-simultaneous release will hurt Watch_Dogs Wii U sales, not help them...even considering the bolstered installbase from the May Mario Kart 8 release.

All I know is if they cancel the wii u version, they are out one sale
because I'd probably be the only person on earth buying the wii u version, lol

N.Domixis

Banned
Damn, I wish this was happening to xbox instead of nintendo. Nintendo still offers platformers in abundance and I like that. :( Hopefully they come back better next gen.

Tagg9

The problem with your theory is that delayed SKUs have a much more limited ability to draw audiences when they have no additional features or significant upgrades to them.

A non-simultaneous release will hurt Watch_Dogs Wii U sales, not help them...even considering the bolstered installbase from the May Mario Kart 8 release.

It's beside the point anyway, as I suspect Watch_Dogs will launch in late May or June, well after Mario KArt 8.

It makes sense if you believe that Wii U isn't competing with other systems. This would mean that WatchDogs on Wii U isn't competing with the other SKUs as well.

I'm throwiing out ideas why Nintendo would be okay with the delay of WatchDogs Wii U. There is no way in hell Sony or Microsoft would allow WatchDogs be delayed on their system. The reason for this is they believe they are in competition.

how is that the same thing? In there Sega wouldnt even comment on the game and the game just missed its release date, there were no official conf call where Sega said the WiiU version would be delayed, the game was quietly canceled. Ubisot just announced that it will be come out at a later date, not even close to the same as ACM.
You have to understand that Ubisoft is delaying Watch_Dogs Wii U to an undetermined future date because they literally don't think it's worth it to have staff dedicated to getting it out.

That's where it's similar to Aliens: Colonial Marines...we saw the same kind of situation there.

Once a publisher has deemed a version not worthy to prioritize release, it's very easy for that same publisher to not even end up bothering to release the final product.

It makes sense if you believe that Wii U isn't competing with other systems. This would mean that WatchDogs on Wii U isn't competing with the other SKUs as well.

I'm throwiing out ideas why Nintendo would be okay with the delay of WatchDogs Wii U. There is no way in hell Sony or Microsoft would allow WatchDogs be delayed on their system. The reason for this is they believe they are in competition.

Why do you think Nintendo is "okay" with the delay of Watch_Dogs Wii U?

And if Ubisoft was forced to delay Watch_Dogs on Xbox or PlayStation because either of those consoles were selling terribly as the Wii U, then it really wouldn't matter how much Sony and Microsoft protest, Ubisoft would delay it anyway unless they got some kind of significant compensation.

I wonder if the PS3/360 versions are delayed too. It would make sense for them to focus on the PS4/XBO/PC versions after the delay since the other versions were probably guaranteed to be awful anyway.

I doubt it. The PS3 and 360 iterations will probably account for at least half of the game's total sales.

All I know is if they cancel the wii u version, they are out one sale
because I'd probably be the only person on earth buying the wii u version, lol

You're not the only one. Whenever there is a third party game I'm interested in, I always buy the Wii U version if there is one. I bought black Ops 2,ghosts,nfs most wanted, Deus Ex director's cut, darksiders 2, Rayman legends, splinter cell blacklist, fotns: Ken's rage 2,just dance 4 and just dance 2014 on Wii U, despite having also a ps3,a 360 and a gaming PC.

I hate those so-called nintendo fans that use nintendo platforms as first-party machines. They are part of the problem

Why do you think Nintendo is "okay" with the delay of Watch_Dogs Wii U?

Because they have not taken action to have the release of Wii U WatchDogs coincide with the other SKUs.

There are actions Nintendo could take to get the game to release at the same time as the other SKUs. Either Nintendo believes it not worth the effort or they believe that WatchDogs will benefit more from a delay. Either way, this means they are okay with the delay.

You're not the only one. Whenever there is a third party game I'm interested in, I always buy the Wii U version if there is one. I bought black Ops 2,ghosts,nfs most wanted, Deus Ex director's cut, darksiders 2, splinter cell blacklist, fotns: Ken's rage 2,just dance 4 and just dance 2014 on Wii U, despite having also a ps3,a 360 and a gaming PC.

I hate those so-called nintendo fans that use nintendo platforms as first-party machines. They are part of the problem
I just don't get the people that think there is nothing to play on wii u, but eh, that's another thread.

Top Bottom