• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

I don't know if I posted it or if anyone's done so, but apparently May has hired Lynton Crosby to head up her campaign.

scotcheggz

I live in Brighton Pavilion, so at least we get the silver lining of Caroline Lucas every election, but god this one feels bleak.

Acorn

Ij9I5BTQQmuAk1uNW4tb_Mail.JPG
Dacre is having himself a right angry wank, isn't he?

Uzzy

I hope he writes some memoirs. I'd be fascinated to hear his insights into the rumoured coup of Miliband before the 2015 general (which was expected to put him in charge)

Edit, apparently he already did some. I'm good at this

His most recent one went up to 2009, so it's possible that a future memoir from him would go up to that point. You're right though, I'd be fascinated to read that too.

(Please be David Miliband.)

I think it's going to be between some local councillors, rather than parachuting someone in.

Also, something to speculate about tonight:

Would like to hear people's bets! Some possibilities are Diane James, Anna Soubry, Kate Hoey, Douglas Carswell..

Even if May is going for the a manifesto with a very hard Brexit in, I doubt any of the more moderate Tories would jump ship. So it's probably from Labour to the Tories, or to the Lib Dems even.

Free money available at Betfair: Odds on a Tory majority 1.18 (was 1.22 last night). This is literally free money, guys. Anyone with any liquidity, get on it. Remortgage your house, do whatever you have to do.

Done at 1.14. Everything in my Betfair account (large number built up over years of tennis betting).

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...l-voting-against-hard-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw Gina Miller is back again with a tactical voting campaign. Glad someone's doing something.

I'd gladly back her as leader of the "not hard brexit" party. badly in need of a strong advocate, p much everyone else right now who could be that is either tarnished or not relevant. obv the press would continue to hate her but that's going to happen to anyone who isn't sawing us off from the continental shelf.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
this wouldn't take back brexit would it

That depends. The best case wet dream for those who don't want Brexit would be a Lib Dem victory (some sources are claiming this could be possible) at which point they'd negotiate for a soft Brexit, and put the final deal up for a referendum (where it would inevitably be voted down).

Happy to see a move towards TV debates this quickly honestly. I was honestly kinda sceptical, but good on the BBC and ITV for it.

That depends. The best case wet dream for those who don't want Brexit would be a Lib Dem victory (some sources are claiming this could be possible) at which point they'd negotiate for a soft Brexit, and put the final deal up for a referendum (where it would inevitably be voted down).

Are these sources actual, humanoid people or fan-fiction written by Paddy Ashdown?

scotcheggz

No idea about the hair either, was waiting for someone more qualified to chime in.

I'm a hair stylist and I have no idea whatsoever. My first thoughts were that you'd be hard pressed to call it a style...

/handbags

On topic, did anyone see the Manchester uni prof earlier on Newsnight? Very tidily summed up one of labours biggest problems, whereby their demographic has been torn in half by brexit and targeting one faction will only push away the other.

I love it and hate it.

We've become Marmite.

Would gladly give up my citizenship if I had the opportunity to get another and dual citizenship was banned by that country. It wouldn't even be a difficult decision anymore. I don't feel like contributing my tax money to a society that despises me and my views. Shame because there was a time when I actually did like living here (that was when I was younger). The older I get, the more cynical I become.

tomtom94

Even if May is going for the a manifesto with a very hard Brexit in, I doubt any of the more moderate Tories would jump ship. So it's probably from Labour to the Tories, or to the Lib Dems even.

My gut feeling is Labour to the Tories would be huge, headline news, particular if it involves an MP. Not "buy the Times for an exclusive!" level. But it is what I fear happening. I don't have much faith in moderate Tory MPs to even consider defecting, so any defections are going to come from the other side surely.

Xando

I dislike this country. Needs repeating. The real scary part is where in the Western world is politics actually better? Canada? Netherlands? Germany? The world seems to be regressing at an alarming rate.
Can only speak about germany but in the face of Trump and the UK i'm actually quite happy of how the german elections turn out at the moment.

We'll have a very pro EU chancellor no matter who wins and the far right (AFD) is currently imploding right in time for elections.

mo60

I highly doubt the tories will be getting 48% of the vote like a month and a half from now.If they got that high there coalition will be really really unstable come 2022 if things turn sour in the UK.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Would gladly give up my citizenship if I had the opportunity to get another and dual citizenship was banned by that country. It wouldn't even be a difficult decision anymore. I don't feel like contributing my tax money to a society that despises me and my views. Shame because there was a time when I actually did like living here (that was when I was younger). The older I get, the more cynical I become.

If David Cameron was ever slumming it in town it would be impossible not to want to punch the man. He gambled our country away for stupid self-interest, and opened a Pandora's box of shit.

I highly doubt the tories will be getting 48% of the vote like a month and a half from now.

I have to say i think they may easily break 50%, it is heartbreaking and damn scary how right wing the UK has become, guess thats why i'm now pro Scottish independence after so many years as a stubborn unionist. I guess i finally realised how politically different we are and it is time to go our own way. I think when June 9th arrives Scotland will wake up and realise 20 plus years of Tory rule is too much to deal with.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they will either, primarily because of the Lib Dems. There are many remain tory voters.

It really is a race for second place.

The Witney by-election was huge for the Lib Dems who were on their way to taking Cameron's seat

I wonder if some of those areas they think are safe will face a brexit backlash. I hope so.

TimmmV

It'll be interesting to see how big the turnout for an election is

Can see election fatigue + no party really offering a remain option + left voters total lack of faith in Corbyn making it depressingly low.

mo60

I don't think they will either, primarily because of the Lib Dems. There are many remain tory voters.

It really is a race for second place.

I think they will probably get around what Thatcher got in 83 which probably won't be enough for a seat count over 400 and the absolutely huge majorities people are predicting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom