• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next big graphical feature leap

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
21 years ago these were some the best graphics you could get in the first quake and tomb raider.

q26_1.jpg

95372-Tomb_Raider_(1996)(Eidos)-1.jpg

Now 21yrs later we have these visuals

Doom-new-screenshots-1.jpg

D2oQJQD.jpg

pjRJkQa.gif

20 years ago I could not of imagined games looking like they do today, but Now I have a very basic understanding why games look the way they look, its a combination of all things from polycounts to textures, effects and lighting.

This gen has shown me how much lighting makes a difference in how a game looks, how shaders effect the way light looks on a particular surface and this generation is when things start to look like there real life counterparts.

So what is next? Will next gen see vastly more sophisticated shaders aswell as an increase in everything else?

What graphical feature will set apart next gen
From the current one? Or will next gen simply be more of what we have had this gen? And PS6 Will be the big leap?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Arm chair opinion and all that but I just don't expect to see any huge leaps next gen. Maybe in the VR space but not consoles. Speaking from my ass of course.

Nere

Maybe developers can start making better, more realistic AI? I feel that graphics always evolves but braindead AI always remains. I know good AI is pretty hard to make but I think that will be the biggest next leap in games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me I want to see developers try to bring unique aesthetics to life rather than obsess over hyper realistic graphics.

120v

i think we're already at a point where you can do virtually anything... really just a matter of size and scope and sacrifices that need to be made to make a game playable. basically it'll be less and less sacrifices going forward

JaxBriggs

I know it's what you're asking for, but I'm hoping for serious advances in AI. I think for all the visual improvements we've seen over the years, AI hasn't advanced nearly as much and I think it really shows now especially through this gen.

cuate

Banned
For me I want to see developers try to bring unique aesthetics to life rather than obsess over hyper realistic graphics.

Same here. I'm really sick of photorealism. To me metal slug, mario oddysey and guilty gear xrd look far more appealing than stuff like uncharted or anthem.

I know it's what you're asking for, but I'm hoping for serious advances in AI. I think for all the visual improvements we've seen over the years, AI hasn't advanced nearly as much and I think it really shows now especially through this gen.

ai seems to get worse each gen. more than a decade later and games still haven't even matched, let alone surpassed, stuff like half-life, halo and fear.

Stiler

I want to see games use physics more for clothing/hair.

I mean, Batman's cape in the Arkham game still looks amazing compared to some brand-new games that come out with capes/cloaks that are just like blocks that hardly move.

Then you have basically any "mage" robe in a modern rpg that looks like they are wearing some strange type of clothing made out of rubber instead of cloth with the way it stretches and moves.

Then there's the hair, I mean we have the excellent hair in the Tomb Raider games and Geralts in Witcher 3, then most other games still have the usual "blob" of hair that hardly moves and looks like a block on your head (mainly rpgs/mmo's).

Unknown?

21 years ago I dreamed of a day when games looked as good as FFVIII CG. I thought that was the future and when graphics were at their peak. Now gameplay blows that away!

weltalldx

None of those graphics example impress me.

At the end of the day, next generation graphics have done nothing to elevate graphics beyond adding more post processing, higher resolution textures and applying too many fake filtering techniques to try to hide a basic scene.

Take Witcher 3 for example, if you turn off all the post processing filters, the game's geometry and asset are basic at best.

Games have not made the generation leap as seen from 2d to 3d. There are still terrible animation, clipping, graphics popup in all these examples of next generation graphics. Take away all the facade filters and games today are no more complex than they were 10 years ago.

High quality dynamic global illumination. That's what'll really set next gen apart from this gen. There's some limited solutions already in games like QB, but I think overall lighting will be the biggest difference when you start comparing generations of games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH2_RkfStSk

Horizon 3 uses voxel based global illumination and it works so well. Gives that extra little boost in actually feeling like you're "placed" in the world.

JordanN

Banned
I've said it before, there are bigger leaps to achieve going with Virtual Reality than photoreal graphics.

Budgets now determine whether a game looks real or not instead of hardware. The production values of Uncharted and other AAA games are in the millions.

You can instantly see this gulf if you compare Western games to Japanese games. Or mobile games that still look like PS2 games running at higher res.

With Virtual Reality, development is accessible to all budget levels and it can give a huge sense of awe when people realize they're finally inside a video game world, instead of just looking at a flat TV screen.

MultiCore

Real-time raytracing.

I agree on VR being an important part of the future.

I feel like current GPU's are being hamstrung in the name of efficiency.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Give me solid 60 fps on everything before turning up anymore graphics but thats just me.

*golf clap*

Visuals are spot on as-is. Optimization and rock-solid fluidity should be priority numero uno for most game types, regardless of hardware!

Pasedo

Zelda BOTW had beautiful but fairly simplistic graphics but for some reason the world immersed me and felt more real than the most advanced graphics today. I think it was attention to detail of the world design and how everything interacted perfectly that it felt natural. Maybe it was the physics engine, lighting. Not sure. But I agree with some before graphics dial up these areas that really make the game feel more natural and immersive.

ByWatterson

None of those graphics example impress me.

At the end of the day, next generation graphics have done nothing to elevate graphics beyond adding more post processing, higher resolution textures and applying too many fake filtering techniques to try to hide a basic scene.

Take Witcher 3 for example, if you turn off all the post processing filters, the game's geometry and asset are basic at best.

"If you ignore all the graphical advances, there really haven't been any graphical advances."

It was 20 years ago that I realized that graphics would evolve at a slower rate. Thet do get better, but to me, the change between N64 and Xbox will be the biggest one (aside from the change from D to to 3D of course)

Now the the changes are less meaningful.

fordian

Neo Member
Na. There are demos of Quake 2 runnning with full Ray Tracing. It'll happen sooner than later. I'd wager in the next 10 years or so.

I'd agree with you if the industry was intent on sticking with 1080p, but we're pushing 4K now man. And within 6 or so years, it'll be 8K.

If you think we're gonna be seeing 30+fps, real-time raytracing at 8K within a decade you're pretty optimistic. But I hope you're right.

Edit: 25 years was probably too conservative, but I still think it's a long way off.

Let me put it this way, Pixar didn't commit to fully ray-traced lighting until Monster's University (2013). And we haven't even bested Toy Story yet.

Senua

I'd agree with you if the industry was intent on sticking with 1080p, but we're pushing 4K now man. And within 6 or so years, it'll be 8K.

If you think we're gonna be seeing 30+fps, real-time raytracing at 8K within a decade you're pretty optimistic. But I hope you're right.

Maybe on PC if someone like Crytek make another Crysis! aka way more advanced than anything else on the market.

Senua

That happens often if you pay close enough attention...

Not it really doesn't, stuff like Battlefront looks incredible on PC but it's still made with console limitations in mind. When Crysis came out it was so far ahead of anything else it was insane, that hasn't really happened since IMO.

CJY

Banned
Yea in engine, gameplay won't look like that.

I think there needs to be a distinction in “CGI” definitions. As-in, prerendered vs on-the-fly/runtime rendering. The term “in-engine” doesn’t mean much when it doesn’t represent gameplay, but the quality of visuals can’t be disputed when the engine is indeed capable of producing those visuals live. It’s just that the given system may not be powerful enough to produce that quality of visual during live gameplay, but we can be 100% certain that the engine is capable of it given more FLOPS.

We’re arguing over semantics and using the term “CGI” is a misnomer as technically it’s all Computer Generated Imagery whether or not it’s gameplay or not. OP is only talking about visuals and graphics, not whether it’s during gameplay or not.

For example, look at FF8 on PS1, when Squall is running across the screen with a massive pre-rendered FMV battle playing on the background. That, to me, is still one of the most impactful sequences in my history with games, but “gameplay” there is basically irrelevant. My point is, depending on the game, prerendered or not, if something looks good, it looks good. And TLOU2 looks like it’s gonna be a beast of a game and it’s clear that in another 21 years, Elon Musk is right, graphics and visuals will be completely indistinguishable from reality.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Not it really doesn't, stuff like Battlefront looks incredible on PC but it's still made with console limitations in mind. When Crysis came out it was so far ahead of anything else it was insane, that hasn't really happened since IMO.

Crysis' crowning achievement(s) were physics, which affected gameplay and allowed for non-linearity with regards to approaching combat scenarios.

In addition the title had no real ceiling with regards to scalability.

It was innovative and well ahead of its time, but has since been surpassed in most if not all areas.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Zelda BOTW had beautiful but fairly simplistic graphics but for some reason the world immersed me and felt more real than the most advanced graphics today. I think it was attention to detail of the world design and how everything interacted perfectly that it felt natural. Maybe it was the physics engine, lighting. Not sure. But I agree with some before graphics dial up these areas that really make the game feel more natural and immersive.
See if PlayStation games were running BOTW graphics in their games i would not bother to play tbh if i wanted those type of graphics I'd buy a Nintendo console

TitusTroy

20 years ago I could not of imagined games looking like they do today, but Now I have a very basic understanding why games look the way they look, its a combination of all things from polycounts to textures, effects and lighting

you didn't believe that in 20 years graphics would make a major leap in quality????

Fnord

With Virtual Reality, development is accessible to all budget levels and it can give a huge sense of awe when people realize they're finally inside a video game world, instead of just looking at a flat TV screen.

The problem there is that this will change when VR graphics start to catch up with non-VR graphics. If anything, the problem will be multiplied.

There are other things that needs focus than slightly upgraded visuals. Ai has pretty much dropped of a cliff lately. Many top titles today has much worse Ai than games had 10+ years ago.

Compare the Ai in games like HL2, Crysis 1, FEAR to games like Horizon, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefront 2. It’s really bad, really fucking bad how much worse it has gotten.

Seems it’s more important for games to have a “cinematic” story these days, plus having greedy business models to boot.

Soltype

Maybe on PC if someone like Crytek make another Crysis! aka way more advanced than anything else on the market.
Star Citizen is probably as close as we'll get to getting another game with that type of philosophy behind its development.

MultiCore

Star Citizen is probably as close as we'll get to getting another game with that type of philosophy behind its development.

You mean, it's as close as we're not going to get, amirite?

Seriously, that game is going to be 'delayed' for so long, it's bound to be eclipsed before it's even released.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
you didn't believe that in 20 years graphics would make a major leap in quality????

Thats not what
I said.

To clarify, I definitely thought visuals would improve but I didnt think back then visuals would surpass resident evil cut scenes, plus I didnt understand graphics that much, back then I thought nothing of the framerate dips in goldeneye, I just thought its just how the game is and thought nothing of it.However I do remember looking at PS1 games and how the the textures would warp and move about and thought "dam that looks really bad, it cant even do proper 3d"

xviper

i remember when i played Uncharted 2, i thought that there is no way graphics could improve upon this

the next game that blew me away with it's graphics was BF3, i have never been more impressed about a game's graphics like BF3's, not because of it's high quality, but because it looked realistic, UC2 had stunning graphics but it was cartoonish

UC4 currently is the best looking game and anyone who denies that is either a liar or didn't play it, it sure did shock me, but it never impressed me as BF3 did

TLOU 2 probably won't be the next big graphical leap, PS4\X1 generation has been slow in graphical improvement, look at Ryse(2013) and then look at UC4(2016), sure UC4 looks better, but it's not that big of a difference

Top Bottom