• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long can you play a Switch before your hands hurt AKA how do you hold a switch

Ashtar

So I got a switch a few weeks ago and got splatoon 2, but after playing a few hours my right pinky and middle finger kind of hurt.
A Similar thing happened with my vita before I gave it away, is there a proper way to hold a switch so it doesn't hurt?

I can play for hours on hours of time before my hands even start feeling a bit sore. (I'm talking like 10).

I usually tend to sit with my elbows resting on something (My knees/thighs, arms of a chair etc) and I think it helps stress your hands less on holding the full weight of any portable.

As it is now my n3DSXL hurts my hands more than my Switch, and that's because it's got weird weight due to the top screen.

Y'all got some tiny hands or something?
Big for a girl, small for a boy. So... Maybe?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I recently got a Switch and was thinking about making a similar thread, I just don't know how people hold this thing and use the right analog at the same time. So uncomfortable I gave up on handheld mode. Y'all got some tiny hands or something?

I can hold it reasonably long without discomfort. My schedule lately has prevented me from playing more than an hour or so in one sitting though, so maybe it would get uncomfortable in a longer session.

Timeaisis

Maybe an hour before one of my pinkies starts to fall asleep. Happened with the 3DS as well.

Comfort level is fine, it's just annoying.

Maybe an hour before one of my pinkies starts to fall asleep. Happened with the 3DS as well.

Comfort level is fine, it's just annoying.

Same issue here - but maybe about thirty minutes for me. Getting old sucks.

I have to wonder what kind of musculoskeletal damage this might be doing.

I either play with the pro controller on the TV or in tabletop mode with the pro controller haha so no problems here. Very much empathise with OP though, I used to get awful palm spots and finger cramp on the Vita (despite loving the console) and I think I would suffer that a little with the Switch if I played handheld alot, especially the palm thing, maybe not the finger cramp so much.

I'm into asymmetric sticks but Imo they would be better both up top for a handheld for weight distribution reasons, although I appreciate that would make the cons as mini pads thing difficult.

Funny thing is I've never had any issues with the 3DS XL.

mr_chun

Not very long, so a friend found a design for a grip and 3d printed one for me. Super comfy.

kalhHod.jpg

patientx

As someone else said, n3dsxl makes my hands hurt in shorter time than switch. So far I don't have any problems using it. And I remember wiiu gamepad also was hurting my hands playing splatoon.

Ashtar

I recently got a Switch and was thinking about making a similar thread, I just don't know how people hold this thing and use the right analog at the same time. So uncomfortable I gave up on handheld mode. Y'all got some tiny hands or something?
I have pretty big hands, which is what I blamed it on my big hands but my wife had the same complaint and her hands are smaller than mine but probably bigger than the average woman's
Does anyone play in bed on their back?

Hugstable

Banned
Haven't really tested how long, but I've had like a 3 hour gaming session in handheld mode and was pretty comfortable throughout. Been wayyy better for me in terms of that compared to my 3DSXL and Vita

Audette

Weirdly I find the switch to be one of the most comfortable handhelds, I have yet to get any cramps.

The 3DS though, I can barely use it. That downward pressure I have to maintain on the slide pad is extremely fatiguing and I have slender fingers that find the size and placement of everything hard to maintain after even 5 minutes of use. And yeah I have tried every iteration of the system.

I can play the Switch for hours and my hands don't hurt.

Once I noticed this, I realized that it was single biggest factor in me hating playing on handhelds in the past. The Vita and the 3DS make my hands cramp up after 20-30 minutes and I have to put them down. The Switch gives me no issues.

Not very long, the whole thing is too big and too heavy. A handheld is usually a bit over 200g, the switch with joycons is over 400g.

I only go for like thirty minutes at a time, so it's not too bad. Except for Mario Kart,having to hold down A is way too much for my right hand, so usually two races and then a break.

LiK

About 2-3 hours before I feel a lil cramp. I just use a Hori stand with the Pro Controller now. I can play for like half the day without issues that way.

Red

In handheld mode my right hand cramps after five minutes. I do like a claw grip when this happens, or just take off the joycons, which by themselves don't cause any discomfort.

Stimpack

Hours. I've actually never had my hands cramp up with the Switch. My thumbs would kill me after an hour or so on the 3DS, however.

About an hour? Then, my fingers start to hurt like hell, I power through the pain, get used to it and can start to play indefinitely. It's an awkward and probably not very healthy process.

In the end, the Switch is just another rectangular flat slab, just like other handhelds. Shit can't be good for your hands long-term. It's a shame too, because I love handheld gaming but for some reason these companies refuse to make them ergonomic.

Aroll

There are actually grips that exist that can help you out for cheap.

Splatoon 2 is probably also the first game to give me issues. Playing zelda, playing arms, Mario Kart and all indie games are fine. I didn't have a single cramping or pain issue until Splatoon 2. Why? I realized unintentionally I'm actually gripping the controller harder, probably to ensure I can quickly change button presses and such. Since I prefer Splatoon 2 docked, I bought a pro controller now and the pain is gone. I still grip it hard, but it must be a more natural position.

nickerous

Haven't noticed hand cramps and I know I've played for more than 1 hour at a time. Still would like to find a good grip for the switch...

DESTROYA

Don't really get cramps but I do wish on the right side the analog stick was over the buttons, I get why they positioned them as they are now but it would be way more comfortable to hold if the analog sticks where on the same level.

joe_zazen

Same issue here - but maybe about thirty minutes for me. Getting old sucks.

I have to wonder what kind of musculoskeletal damage this might be doing.

RSI can happen at any age. But, yeah the older you get, the longer to heal.

If it hurts, maybe a new hobby?

Mihos

Gold Member
I only use a pro controller. I hate the joycons as much as I hate intellivsion controllers

Depends on the control scheme for the game. I could play MK8 for much longer in handheld mode if I could move the accelerator to the right trigger.

KtSlime

Indefinitely, haven't experienced any sort of cramps, and have played for hours on end this weekend (thanks splatoon).

luulubuu

I hold my receipt from Amazon for hours without getting tired if either holding it or looking at it. It's beautiful.

I can go about 30 minutes before my hands start hurting. It has really stopped me from enjoying my Switch and I may just sell it because I have not found a way to play on the go that doesn't cause pain.

I was like surely like a human does any electronic. I didn't realize anyone was having any issues. I am able to hold mine for long periods easily. *shrug*

Kouriozan

I don't think my hands hurt for playing the Switch, at least not for about one hour.
This thread made me think of the 3DS I played again last week (Mario Maker) and my fingers can't support that thing after 10 mins using that D-pad.
I think my hands are too big for it and that's why the Switch is OK, but hey, everyone is different.

My left hand is fine but the placement of the right joycon's stick bothers my hand after about an hour. The pro controller is great.

It's rarely a big issue though and i'm still fine playing in handheld mode.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have that issue with my right thumb because of the stick placement. Keeping my thumb bent 90 degrees for hours makes it hurt, same issue with 3ds. I use pro controller for splatoon though, I can’t get good at that game using the small switch controls.

bobawesome

Well, it's not like the battery lasts for more than a few hours. So by the end of my longer sessions, when hand cramps are starting to set in, it's time to quit anyway.

The most comfortable device Nintendo has made.

At the end of the day, that's hardly a great accomplishment.

How on Earth do you hold your Switch? Do you try to keep two fingers placed on the top buttons/triggers?

I have MANHANDS, and still have no problems. I keep my pinkies at/near the bottom for balance.

I like that I can keep my fingers pretty straight, can't hold those tiny XBox or PS controllers. They make my hands cramp, and my fingers hit each others. Really annoying.

I am one of those who loved the Gamepad, it is so comfortable to hold. Don't have to squeeze my fingers in this miniscule space behind the controller. Switch is the same.

Joycons are so small that it becomes an advantage, they fit in to my palm very well and my thumbs are large enough to cover the stick and the buttons. Then I use different parts of my thumb to press stuff.

Top Bottom