• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mode7 vs Raster racers

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You’re comparing arcade raster racers with SNES mode 7? Then rasters probably win. But in the home with SNES/mega drive level hardware, raster racers were very basic I comparison to mode 7 so I think mode 7 wins.

Mode 7 allows much better gameplay. Raster racers are traffic- and obstacle-dodging games more than true racing games. I liked them for being relatively impressive for less capable hardware like the Game Boy, but Mode 7 is the superior technology without question.
Why do people keep saying this when Power Drift and Super Monaco GP have been mentioned? That arcade technology wasn't just used for linear racers.

Here's a nice article about raster graphics, it should tell you everything you need to know: http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/

It's easier to do physics in mode-7 as the position of the car (or the BG scrolling register values) can be represented as a 2D-vector, in raster graphics racing games you can only move forward most of the time and going around corners is basically like strafing in the original DOOM. Most of the effects that are somehow attributed to raster graphics would work just as fine in mode-7 games if SNES could handle sprite-scaling. I think the tubes and trees alongside Mario Kart's tracks are prescaled (sort of like LODs).

Not seen that site for ages :D

Racin' Force has got to be the pinnacle of visuals in 'mode 7' racers, although it's pushing it to call it that when it's a voxel landscape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0Mjw32CLY

Piers

Mode 7 racers always felt way too slippery for me. Raster graphics automatically win because of M2 3D remakes on 3DS.

Why do people keep saying this when Power Drift and Super Monaco GP have been mentioned? That arcade technology wasn't just used for linear racers.

It's a real shame that when base console hardware was finally able to trivially scale, rotate, and skew the perspective of hundreds of large sprites and multiple massive tiled playfields, it coincided with the viability of more advanced 3D, making it effectively obsolete to the masses. Sega really dragged their feet too long on 'Superscaler'-like home hardware and stuff like Mega/Sega-CD wasn't either capable nor easy to effectively use for that smooth arcade experience.

LordRaptor

It's a real shame that when base console hardware was finally able to trivially scale, rotate, and skew the perspective of hundreds of large sprites and multiple massive tiled playfields, it coincided with the viability of more advanced 3D making it effectively obsolete to the masses. Sega really drug their feet too long on 'Superscaler'-like home hardware.

It was obvious as early as the late 80s with titles like Stunt Car Racer or Hard Driving that driving games that actually feel like driving games were not going to be raster based.
Arguably even a decade earlier than that with vector based titles like Vectorbeams Speed Freak or Ataris Star Wars providing more of a feeling of actually moving at speed in a vehicle

Apenheul

Mode 7' as in perspective background is a type of raster effect where bg scale and scrolling is tweaked each line. Rolling road games use another type of raster effect for hills and turns, GT Advance 2 and Mountain Bike Rally combine elements of both. There's no need to update tiles for the case of hills in either.
Sorry, I missed your reply. I haven't really programmed anything for GBA in almost 15 years so I only have a vague concept left of how exactly all this worked. But in the case of GT Advance 2 it's difficult to see what exactly is used. I tried to stand still on a slope and rotate the camera and the whole track starts warping so I just assumed that they're scaling scanlines on HBLANK to create the hill effect.

It was obvious as early as the late 80s with titles like Stunt Car Racer or Hard Driving that driving games that actually feel like driving games were not going to be raster based.
Arguably even a decade earlier than that with vector based titles like Vectorbeams Speed Freak or Ataris Star Wars providing more of a feeling of actually moving at speed in a vehicle
Oh, I loved SCR at the time on my Amiga (favorite racing game ever still) and Hard Drivin' was incredible for its time as was all early wireframe/vector 3D, and even though it was the inevitable future for games and not just the flight/racing gametype, I was always expecting the state of the art arcade experience of the '80s at home for, at least, one console generation and it never really happened.

ShowDog

Raster was the best solution and far superior on arcade hardware. But at the time any of this mattered, the Genesis and SNES couldn't do Raster justice. So I'd have to say Mode 7 was the superior console choice.

That said, F-Zero and Mario Kart did some cool stuff you wouldn't have been able to do on Raster.

Jaeger

Raster racers were just bouts of straights and turns with no sense of actually being a track. Hell, most of the time you weren't which is why you had games like the Outrun titles where you went "cross country".

Mode 7 racers (before we had actual 3D racers) were always more fun to me. And I enjoyed the hell out of raster racers, so don't get me wrong.

Klocker

Mode 7 and F-Zero was frigging amazing and I'd been playing games for 15 years when I first saw it... still my favorite most fun racer ever.

nkarafo

It depends.

In 16bit home consoles i prefer Mode 7 games. They look better and run smoother.

Raster Racers are better in powerful Arcade systems though. You get tons of smoothly scaling sprites and fast frame rates. Especially in Sega's sprite scaling monsters at the time (X-board, Y-board).

Sorry, I missed your reply. I haven't really programmed anything for GBA in almost 15 years so I only have a vague concept left of how exactly all this worked. But in the case of GT Advance 2 it's difficult to see what exactly is used. I tried to stand still on a slope and rotate the camera and the whole track starts warping so I just assumed that they're scaling scanlines on HBLANK to create the hill effect.

I didn't choose the best video but you get hills going higher than the usual horizon on some tracks. Yeah it will look weird when you rotate on a hill but that's to be expected as it's a raster style rolling road effect shouldn't really work with full camera rotation.
You can't just alter scale of the lines or it would look even weirder, you have to work out the map location of the centre/start of each scanline and find the scale from that. I think they use flat slopes to make the interpolations easier, It's something like the '3D projected segments' from that page, but applied to mode 7 style hblank scaling.

Datschge

Does Road Rash count? You can run backwards if you fall off your bike. I don't know any where you can look backwards though beyond mirrors.
I mean turning to drive the other way. I'm not aware of any raster racer where the developer bothered implementing that even if it is theoretically possible.

OK I'd been thinking there was something that did attempt to combine rotating backgrounds with raster hills, and I've found at least one example, the GT Advance games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvwiSM5uvA
As GBA has capable sprite scaling quite some racing games essentially combined raster with 3D like use of sprite scaling. Personally I liked Top Gear Rally the best of those: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd0f83wODqg

score01

Kind of agree with you op. Other than loving Mario Kart I never got into any of the other mode7 racers. Generaly hated the stretched out floor plan look of the titles. Would take an outrun/chase hq style racer over mode7 any day.

CamHostage

Oh dear, this thread is demanding that I choose...

For arcades, there AFAIK never was a "Mode 7" game that really put the technique to the test with beefy hardware, and game designers especially in the '90s were going out of their minds with incredible technical experimentation, so there are plenty of raster-road arcade racers that make me drool even today. At home, though, the limitations of raster-road engines to represent a fully-mapped racing course were laid more bare, it was a lot of power-sliding to 'simulate' the thrill of racing but not a lot of line-choice or positioning or speed shifting to capture the strategy of driving; unless you were in a master's hands (which thankfully was often given how popular raster-road engine racing was in arcades and how those things sucked up quarters,) raster-road racing could feel more like steering than driving.

Meanwhile, Nintendo was at the top of its game and produced two of the most enjoyable racing games ever with Mode7 techniques, and they were flat and limited in their own way but the designer's balance of gameplay was perfectly polished while the newly-opened avenues of driving simulation were fully explored. As future Kart clones poured out we saw that we had already experienced the best that the technique perhaps would ever offer, but those two were ace and gave a great glimpse of racing's future.

At that 1991/1992 crossing point of raster roads and Mode7, my heart is absolutely with Mode7, but raster roads have such a rich history before & after this period, literally decades of experimentation and application, so it's difficult to compare.

Oh dear, this thread is demanding that I choose...

For arcades, there AFAIK never was a "Mode 7" game that really put the technique to the test with beefy hardware, and game designers were going out of their minds with incredible technical experimentation, so there are plenty of raster-based arcade racers that make me drool even today. At home, though, the limitations of raster engines to represent a fully-mapped racing course were laid more bare, it was a lot of power-sliding to 'simulate' the thrill of racing but not a lot of line-choice or positioning or speed shifting to capture the strategy of driving; unless you were in a master's hands, raster-based racing felt more like steering than driving.

Power Drift is interesting to look at from that point of view, which had full 3D tracks built entirely from sprites, but still feels much like a raster game.

CamHostage

Forget Mode 7; sprite scaling hardware from Segas Arcade division rocked, especially Powerdrift on this circa 1988

Power Drift was bonkers! Not that I understand raster road engines, but from what logic I can apply, I still don't understand how it did some of its tricks (already I learned something from the post above.) I remember being really excited because this was scheduled for Atari Lynx at the time (a hotbet of "how can this system be doing this?!" games) but the port never happened

I mean turning to drive the other way. I'm not aware of any raster racer where the developer bothered implementing that even if it is theoretically possible.

You can't drive backwards anywhere I can think of, but as I just mentioned, Power Drift spun the world around you in collisions, and had that crazy full 360 fly-over that showed the track and its curves rendered with the sprite elements. I'm not sure what Monaco GP's course allowed you to do wheels-down on the course, but it also got crazy with spin-outs. They're just moving the track elements around in front of you in a perspective that doesn't really work (you get lost in the seams and gaps, and see the flatness of the track elements so clearly as they scroll right on by) but you do at least see the "reverse" of a raster-road track if you could 180.

POWER DRIFT: https://youtu.be/N9L2zN7JeN8?t=18 & https://youtu.be/N9L2zN7JeN8?t=33
MONACO GP: https://youtu.be/n1e2hrbSx_k?t=174

Datschge

You can't drive backwards anywhere I can think of, but as I just mentioned, Power Drift spun the world around you in collisions, and had that crazy full 360 fly-over that showed the track and its curves rendered with the sprite elements. I'm not sure what Monaco GP's course allowed you to do wheels-down on the course, but it also got crazy with spin-outs. They're just moving the track elements around in front of you in a perspective that doesn't really work (you get lost in the seams and gaps, and see the flatness of the track elements so clearly as they scroll right on by) but you do at least see the "reverse" of a raster-engine track if you could 180.

https://youtu.be/N9L2zN7JeN8?t=18
https://youtu.be/n1e2hrbSx_k?t=174
Those are great, thanks.

Celine

Arcades had a much more demanding and older audience vs the SNES kids. So much more effort went into it
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the different business model behind arcade and console and the consequent difference in the cost of hardware and refresh of the technology.
It was only caused by the "more demanding and older audience vs the SNES kids".

lazygecko

Power Drift was bonkers! Not that I understand raster engines, but from what logic I can apply, I still don't understand how it did some of its tricks (already I learned something from the post above.) I remember being really excited because this was scheduled for Atari Lynx at the time (a hotbet of "how can this system be doing this?!" games) but the port never happened

You can't drive backwards anywhere I can think of, but as I just mentioned, Power Drift spun the world around you in collisions, and had that crazy full 360 fly-over that showed the track and its curves rendered with the sprite elements. I'm not sure what Monaco GP's course allowed you to do wheels-down on the course, but it also got crazy with spin-outs. They're just moving the track elements around in front of you in a perspective that doesn't really work (you get lost in the seams and gaps, and see the flatness of the track elements so clearly as they scroll right on by) but you do at least see the "reverse" of a raster-engine track if you could 180.

POWER DRIFT: https://youtu.be/N9L2zN7JeN8?t=18 & https://youtu.be/N9L2zN7JeN8?t=33
MONACO GP: https://youtu.be/n1e2hrbSx_k?t=174

Rad Mobile looks like it's doing the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMs7eeleDjA

Synth

Raster racers were just bouts of straights and turns with no sense of actually being a track. Hell, most of the time you weren't which is why you had games like the Outrun titles where you went "cross country".

They weren't though as the numerous Power Drift examples show. Not only could you often see into the corner, but you would even see elevated structures that you'd later be driving over.

powerdrift-2.png
pdrifta.png

Power Drift imo, does a much better job of feeling like a track than stuff like Mario Kart and F-Zero do. The flatness of those makes any boundaries unconvincing. It looked like you should be able to drive straight over everything in the world.

They weren't though as the numerous Power Drift examples show. Not only could you often see into the corner, but you would even see elevated structures that you'd later be driving over.

powerdrift-2.png
pdrifta.png

Power Drift imo, does a much better job of feeling like a track than stuff like Mario Kart and F-Zero do. The flatness of those makes any boundaries unconvincing. It looked like you should be able to drive straight over everything in the world.

The way Power Drift works would have been completely compatible with a Mode-7 style textured floor* at ground level though, if they weren't so sprite crazy at Sega.

*just realised having a banking camera angle makes it more complicated than that though

CamHostage

Rad Mobile looks like it's doing the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMs7eeleDjA

Rad Mobile always caught my eye too, I need it explained to me because I'm just not capable of getting it (that said, I'm so happy that Lou's Pseudo 3d Page gets found time and time again when we talk raster roads, it's a great resource!)

One thing I always had a problem with in Rad Mobile and Power Drift though is that the way it did height in tracks with segments layered together, it could feel like you were driving on "logs of road" since you saw the seams of the track chunks as they shifted perspective and scaled into view. It worked decently in PD since it was intentionally a chunky game (I think there was even a course that had log ramps?) but Rad Mobile was supposed to be super-slick and composed. On the plus side, Rad Mobile had banked turns (and also those tri-segmented track segments,) and also did the Outrun think of merging tracks together and fading backgrounds in / swapping roadside+track elements out to make one long racing highway. It could also do a cool thing where it expanded or narrowed the road, so it could go from a tight two-lane forest stretch to a five-lane highway.

'Log-wobble' but also Banked/Piped Tracks https://youtu.be/MMs7eeleDjA?t=105
Environment Change & Road-Widening: https://youtu.be/MMs7eeleDjA?t=919

Synth

The way Power Drift works would have been completely compatible with a Mode-7 style textured floor* at ground level though, if they weren't so sprite crazy at Sega.

*just realised having a banking camera angle makes it more complicated than that though

The example was primarily to argue against the idea that the courses are just an unrelated set of turns and straights. A sense of place was perfectly doable in raster racers also (with Super Monaco GP being another common example). And yea, with some sacrifice you could definitely have made something like Power Drift in Mode 7 (though I'm not sure how well some of the overlapping course elements would work)... but I think the flexibility makes it easier for something like Power Drift via raster to combat games like F-Zero or Mario Kart, than it'd be for a Mode 7 game to combat stuff like Outrunners or Rad Mobile.

I will admit that the comparison isn't entirely fair as when citing Mode 7, you're pretty much only going to get SNES games as comparison, whereas for raster there are a lot of examples that would be far more comfortable on something like a Saturn or Neo Geo. But the title is "Mode 7 vs Raster racers", so the games that actually exist are what's going to get contrasted as opposed to what may have existed if Sega wasn't running the arcades with sprite scaling all the way up to Virtua Racing.

Raster feels like your car is on a stick that's stuck in the center of the screen.
Pushing accelerate doesn't feel like your car is moving but making the background come at you faster.

mode 7 always felt like it delivered a better experience to me.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

Mode 7 racers (before we had actual 3D racers) were always more fun to me. And I enjoyed the hell out of raster racers, so don't get me wrong.

Did ANYONE play Super Monaco GP for the Mega Drive?

This game combined raster effects, line scrolling, and pseudo scaling fantastically. You had a rear view mirror that showed the full road behind you, as well as cars that you lap, or are coming up quick behind you. The only system that did it better was the arcade. However the MD version was arguably the better game, because of Grand Prix mode, and the fact that it had over 16 tracks, to the arcade's single track.

CamHostage

Pushing accelerate doesn't feel like your car is moving but making the background come at you faster.

mode 7 always felt like it delivered a better experience to me.

The experience of driving versus the sensation of racing ... that may be the central theme of this thread.

This game combined raster effects, line scrolling, and pseudo scaling fantastically. You had a rear view mirror that showed the full road behind you, as well as cars that you lap, or are coming up quick behind you.

I must admit I did not, and you make a good case that arcade-style speed thrills weren't all that raster-road engine graphics could do. You could get complete tracks and design courses for racing-line and speed-throttling strategy.

I feel like as soon as I saw STUN Runner, I was just waiting and waiting for the miracle to come...

mG5wPM.gif

It's sad that we never got a home port of Rad Mobile in most of the world. Then again, looking at Gale Racer closely, I think I see why SEGA left it in Japan; it looks nice in motion but doesn't seem to have scale right for vehicles and can't draw enough of the track ahead so it doesn't work.

There's a sequel called Rad Rally that I'd never seen before and don't know much about. Seems like it handles pretty well, but its most distinguishing feature appears to be multicab link-up play (though I'm not sure how much a difference that'd make since it's not course-based play so you only see each other if you can ever pass each other and also the collision/passing mechanic of Rad Mobile is geared towards avoidance rather than challenging the opponent's line so does the sequel make that work better?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCNezY-RqZA

The example was primarily to argue against the idea that the courses are just an unrelated set of turns and straights. A sense of place was perfectly doable in raster racers also (with Super Monaco GP being another common example). And yea, with some sacrifice you could definitely have made something like Power Drift in Mode 7 (though I'm not sure how well some of the overlapping course elements would work)... but I think the flexibility makes it easier for something like Power Drift via raster to combat games like F-Zero or Mario Kart, than it'd be for a Mode 7 game to combat stuff like Outrunners or Rad Mobile.

I will admit that the comparison isn't entirely fair as when citing Mode 7, you're pretty much only going to get SNES games as comparison, whereas for raster there are a lot of examples that would be far more comfortable on something like a Saturn or Neo Geo. But the title is "Mode 7 vs Raster racers", so the games that actually exist are what's going to get contrasted as opposed to what may have existed if Sega wasn't running the arcades with sprite scaling all the way up to Virtua Racing.

Yeah I'm just being pedantic as I don't consider the machines which avoid using any per-scanline effects as raster games (everything from Monaco GP until Outrunners, I think). Super Scaler racers is a fairer name, but Sega specific.

AmyS

This game combined raster effects, line scrolling, and pseudo scaling fantastically. You had a rear view mirror that showed the full road behind you, as well as cars that you lap, or are coming up quick behind you. The only system that did it better was the arcade. However the MD version was arguably the better game, because of Grand Prix mode, and the fact that it had over 16 tracks, to the arcade's single track.

Super Monaco GP on Mega Drive / Genesis was a really good game, however the arcade version absolutely destroys it graphically. The arcade ran on the same superscaler hardware used for After Burner II and Thunder Blade (which are both perfectly ported to 3DS btw). However Super Monaco GP never got an arcade perfect port to any platform anywhere, ever.

Arcade vs MD / Genesis

https://youtu.be/n1e2hrbSx_k?t=1m

I must admit I did not, and you make a good case that arcade-style speed thrills weren't all that raster-engine graphics could do. You could get complete tracks and design courses for racing-line and speed-throttling strategy.

Vroom/Domark F1 was good for this, especially using mouse x&y to control steering and throttle, you had to line yourself up even on the straights rather than it auto-centering the steering like most raster style games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dvYHQIIOFI
edit: can't find a video of mouse mode

I can't believe that's a SNES game.

hah, it's not it's an arcade game that draws a mode-7 style floor and then from there they extrude each pixel upwards based on its height information. Not something the SNES would be able to do unfortunately.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Super Monaco GP on Mega Drive / Genesis was a really good game, however the arcade version absolutely destroys it graphically. The arcade ran on the same superscaler hardware used for After Burner II and Thunder Blade (which are both perfectly ported to 3DS btw). However Super Monaco GP never got an arcade perfect port to any platform anywhere, ever.

Arcade vs MD / Genesis

https://youtu.be/n1e2hrbSx_k?t=1m

Absolutely no lies detected. Super Monaco GP arcade is an absolutely beautiful game. No game console or computer at the time were able to throw sprites around like Sega's arcade hardware.

However you can see in the video, the MD version still is able to handle smooth line scrolling while having multiple sprites on screen and showing a "rear view mirror" at 30 fps with no slowdown. It did a fantastic job of giving the illusion of doing a full track.

It also handled collision detection better than the arcade - you could seriously wreck your shit on the MD version. In the arcade, you'd magically go through obstacles on the edges of the track, getting pushed back onto the track.

Raster feels like your car is on a stick that's stuck in the center of the screen.

How does Mario Kart not feel like that?

In fact I'd argue that raster games feel like LESS of that than Mode 7, because of the aforementioned issues above, that it's more about navigating the track horizontally back and forth avoiding obstacles. Because the tracks aren't represented as a "real" 2D map, raster design tended to emphasize horizontal movement to dodge other vehicles and such. They were the furthest from "stuck on a stick."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAprFOGApsQ&feature=youtu.be&t=125

Noogy

I've recently been thinking a lot about pre-polygonal racers. I'm particularly fond of how devs would tackle things like tunnels and hills with nothing but sprites. It's a lost art.

But yeah, when I saw Stun Runner in arcades, I knew there was going to be a shift in technology.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've always wondered what a Super Mario Kart 2 using FX 2 would have been like. Probably a lot like Super Circuit only better looking.

Futaleufu

There are some arcade games that use something like Mode 7.

F-1 Grand Prix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLrNwT9PN6o

Cameltry (not a racing game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bssMf8f8tek

CamHostage

"...feels like your car is on a stick that's stuck in the center of the screen"
How does Mario Kart not feel like that?

In fact I'd argue that raster games feel like LESS of that than Mode 7, because of the aforementioned issues above, that it's more about navigating the track horizontally back and forth avoiding obstacles. Because the tracks aren't represented as a "real" 2D map, raster design tended to emphasize horizontal movement to dodge other vehicles and such.

I don't know, you're actually building up my feelings against raster-road engine racing with your example, because one of the issues I have with the majority of these games is that the opponents tend to be obstacles rather than other racers. They don't seem to be as interested in getting to where they're going as you do, and they don't have awareness of the road. In your Road Rash example, for instance, bikes fight with you but they don't as aggressively lean into turns (though that's this game; they all lean in Hang-On) or panic when a car is coming up on them or adjust their approach into a turn. The other racers seem to be playing a different game than you are; in most all Mode7 racers, the AI quite clearly is dealing with the same conditions (aside from rubber-banding) that you are.

There are surely plenty of exceptions in raster-road engine racers, of course (and it's tough to say outright what AI is "thinking") but I feel like it's telling that multiplayer was rarely a major factor in the history of raster-road engine racing games and yet was so natural and essential in Mario Kart (and so clearly missing in F-Zero, even in 1990 before we knew 2p Mode7 could work.)

Vroom/Domark F1 was good for this, especially using mouse x&y to control steering and throttle, you had to line yourself up even on the straights rather than it auto-centering the steering like most raster style games.

Good pull, thx! I feel like there's a lot in PC that are easy to miss against the killer Sega SuperScaler games (some Amiga games have already been mentioned) that did interesting things with raster-road engine racing which wouldn't have been necessary to explore in a quarter-muncher.

Top Bottom