• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Awakened

Anyway is it possible to to have RetroArch auto select the core used just by selecting a rom without having to change cores manually, ie. I select an Snes rom it uses Snes9X-git core, I then pick a Gen rom and it switches to Genesis GX core, etc.

Is it possible to have RetroArch keep different settings on a per system basis, I want it to remember the location directory for where my Snes stuff is, which is different where my Genesis stuff is, but it only remembers the one, so I'm having to manually dig through folders each time I want to play something different.

Same sort of thing as last but different control / key mappings on a per system basis, having a general all in one config is dumb when systems are so different like SNES, Gen, etc.
You can do this by creating multiple config files and using a command line parameter to load one (you can make a shortcut or bat file per system to launch with it's specific settings that way). To load a specific config the parameter is -c confignamehere.cfg. I don't use shortcuts or batch files myself, but instead HyperSpin which you can do the same kind of thing with by adding the config loading parameter in HyperHQ. You can do that sort of thing with XBMC via advanced launcher and probably with Steam as well.

coughlanio

How does this run on Raspberry Pi? I tried to compile it on the Raspberry Pi months ago but it took so long I gave up, now RetroPie has released a prebuilt image I may try it out again.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Woah, is the Wii version of the emulator this complete and good? Having this on my big HDTV would be incredible.

and here I was spending the last couple months making individual exe files and custom steam icons for all my emulator games.

Rich!

I really want to like RetroArch but by god is the GUI crap and clunky and one giant pain to setup, maybe I'm doing it wrong and maybe someone here can tell me if it's possible to set it up a certain way because these are deal breakers for me when I can just use a emulator made for a system like Snes9x and get the benefit of having custom settings for that system.

Anyway is it possible to to have RetroArch auto select the core used just by selecting a rom without having to change cores manually, ie. I select an Snes rom it uses Snes9X-git core, I then pick a Gen rom and it switches to Genesis GX core, etc.

Is it possible to have RetroArch keep different settings on a per system basis, I want it to remember the location directory for where my Snes stuff is, which is different where my Genesis stuff is, but it only remembers the one, so I'm having to manually dig through folders each time I want to play something different.

Same sort of thing as last but different control / key mappings on a per system basis, having a general all in one config is dumb when systems are so different like SNES, Gen, etc.

Another dumb thing is not being able to navigate the menu's with the mouse.

There were way more complaints I had about this emulator but it's been awhile and so I'm forgetting things I'm sure, but yeah if these things can't be setup to be done all on the fly and automatically, I see no reason to use this over something more specific for what you are trying to emulate, at least NES emulators will remember how you like your NES stuff.

The whole point of RetroArch for me is to be used in my living room, using a gamepad, on my TV. In fact, the entire UI of RetroArch is designed for this. Why on earth would you want to use a keyboard and mouse when on the sofa?

Using multiple emulators like you suggest in this scenario is by far clunkier than anything you deal with in RetroArch by far. In fact, if not for software like RetroArch, I wouldn't even bother.

Also, like a poster said just now, custom configs can be set up. Once done, it's all seamless.

Lettuce

Whys is it sometime the Shader Preset files dont appear in the folder i have placed them in when navigating to them within retroarch and other times they are listed??

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Seems kind of clunky dealing with multiple systems? It seems I have to dump all my roms for different systems into the same folder? Am I missing something?

Rich!

Seems kind of clunky dealing with multiple systems? It seems I have to dump all my roms for different systems into the same folder? Am I missing something?

No...?

mine is

ROMS

Then inside that folder, one folder for each system. You can browse them freely in the menu.

Awakened

No...?

mine is

ROMS

Then inside that folder, one folder for each system. You can browse them freely in the menu.
If you do multiple configs you can even specify the default ROM directory for the system with this line:
rgui_browser_directory = "path/to/roms/here"

It supports relative paths for a portable setup too.

Rich!

If you do multiple configs you can even specify the default ROM directory for the system with this line:
rgui_browser_directory = "path/to/roms/here"

It supports relative paths for a portable setup too.

Goddamn. I need to get my configs all sorted out later.

alr1ght

Ah, I see. Just different how I usually set my stuff up. Is there a way to bind button combinations to actions. I'm using a regular SNES controller and would like to enable rewind and save states via controller input, but the config doesn't seem to like button combos.

Rich!

Ah, I see. Just different how I usually set my stuff up. Is there a way to bind button combinations to actions. I'm using a regular SNES controller and would like to enable rewind and save states via controller input, but the config doesn't seem to like button combos.

Yeah, I have that issue with my SNES and Saturn pads. Not enough inputs, as their respective consoles use all the buttons...obviously.

PS3 pad is fine though.

Just downloaded this and it's pretty clunky in that regard, but as long as it runs games fine, idgaf

Valtýr

Trying to setup my 360 controller on the PC version. It's not seeing any inputs? 360 works fine on my PC, I use it all the time.

ss_lemonade

not supported on the original xbox? oh well, I guess I'll try it out on my soft modded wii.
I thought there was a version for the og xbox as well? I see it mentioned in their forums.

Also have it for android and its pretty awesome there (though a bit more demanding. I can't get snes to run fullspeed via hdmi on my s3 compared to other offerings).

JNT

Getting this working with an operating system like OpenElec or RaspBMC would be a dream come true.

Valtýr;73620408 said:
Trying to setup my 360 controller on the PC version. It's not seeing any inputs? 360 works fine on my PC, I use it all the time.

Open up phoenix, go to 'setting>input', left click twice to change the button

alr1ght

Any tips on multiple configs? It seems to keep re-writing the settings on retroarch.cfg.

My nes.cfg looks like this
Code:
video_driver = "gl"
audio_driver = "dsound"
libretro_path = "D:/Games/Retroarch/bnes_libretro_x86_64_20130629.dll"

And made a shortcut pointing to
Code:
"D:\Games\Retroarch\retroarch.exe -c nes.cfg"

and it crashes at start

retroarch.cfg (boots to SNES correctly)
Code:
video_driver = "gl"
audio_driver = "dsound"
libretro_path = "D:/Games/Retroarch/bsnes_libretro_balanced_x86_64_20130629.dll"

Valtýr;73626613 said:
Well yeah. I mean when i go to change the input it doesnt pick up anything from my controller.

your 360 controller may not be set up properly.. delete and reinstall the drivers for it.

Any tips on multiple configs? It seems to keep re-writing the settings on retroarch.cfg.

My nes.cfg looks like this
Code:
video_driver = "gl"
audio_driver = "dsound"
libretro_path = "D:/Games/Retroarch/bnes_libretro_x86_64_20130629.dll"

And made a shortcut pointing to
Code:
"D:\Games\Retroarch\retroarch.exe -c nes.cfg"

and it crashes at start

retroarch.cfg (boots to SNES correctly)
Code:
video_driver = "gl"
audio_driver = "dsound"
libretro_path = "D:/Games/Retroarch/bsnes_libretro_balanced_x86_64_20130629.dll"
maybe try making a batch file instead of a shortcut. then use the "Slimm BAT to EXE" app to change it to a windowless EXE file.

I played around with the RetroPie distribution. It works, but I don't want to have to connect a keyboard, or play with finicky configs to get it all to work.

Call me lazy.

alr1ght

maybe try making a batch file instead of a shortcut. then use the "Slimm BAT to EXE" app to change it to a windowless EXE file.

BAT file works with --menu added
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/194
Code:
retroarch.exe --menu -c nes.cfg

And you can boot it via Steam.
0268_5nay4.gif

I played around with the RetroPie distribution. It works, but I don't want to have to connect a keyboard, or play with finicky configs to get it all to work.

Call me lazy.

Yeah Retropie seems more involved and definitely a pain in the ass to get up and running. I was finally able to get my 360 controller working with it but now I can't get more than 1 to work.

Im_Special

The whole point of RetroArch for me is to be used in my living room, using a gamepad, on my TV. In fact, the entire UI of RetroArch is designed for this. Why on earth would you want to use a keyboard and mouse when on the sofa?

This is dumb, It might be the whole point for you, but not everyone wants to play with this on a sofa, so why would I want to use a mouse? because I'm in front of a computer derp, and its way faster and easier to navigate any menu with a mouse then it is a dpad.

Using multiple emulators like you suggest in this scenario is by far clunkier than anything you deal with in RetroArch by far. In fact, if not for software like RetroArch, I wouldn't even bother.

Umm no not even close, If i have to go into a separate settings window every time to manually switch to different cores then I might as well just manually click a different exe. The whole point of this and the only thing it's got going for it is to be an all-in-one solution, if it makes me jump through hoops with a couple of clicks each time, then I might as well just one click a shortcut.

richisawesome, how are you using the PS3 controller? Are you using motion joy and having it emulate a 360 controller? Or is another driver involved?

And is it wireless or wired? Thanks.

Awakened

This is dumb, It might be the whole point for you, but not everyone wants to play with this on a sofa, so why would I want to use a mouse? because I'm in front of a computer derp, and its way faster and easier to navigate any menu with a mouse then it is a dpad.
One of the main devs is working on adding a more Windows friendly interface that should be in the next major release. Probably something like the menubar in many other emulators when windowed. Someone else also made a ZSNES style GUI using libretro, but I'm not sure how functional it is yet.

Im_Special

That's good to hear, hopefully we'll see a release soonish and not in years "soonish", and yeah, I saw that ZSNES clone a few weeks back and it's pretty cool, I'd actually use it too if it didn't have some weird audio glitches, I'm one of those crazies that like the UI on ZSNES.

Top Bottom