• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
At a certain point it becomes simple memorization. You know how the song goes, you know which input is associated with which part of the song, so the on screen prompts become almost useless as you're playing from memory.

Memory definitely helps from time to time, but really there's just a point where your brain learns how to process the inputs and communicates them to your hand with virtually no inbetweening. I SSS'd the ultimate scores in the demo on my first try, since I've played so much of the original. SSS no longer meaning "literally perfect" certainly helped though. Just a skill that you gotta learn.

And stylus forever!!

linko9

I didn't know this had a demo; just played through it. Button controls are hax; played first w/ stylus on both songs on expert, got ~9700000, then w/ buttons, 9999999 first try on each. This is awesome. Now to try out on ultimate.

edit: played on ultimate and actually did a bit better w/ stylus on both tracks; so I guess I go back and forth until I find which I like better. Or maybe do buttons on BMS, stylus on FMS.

Nice OT suzu

Tuesday can't get here fast enough :(

So because this exists there's no reason to buy the original, right?

Right, the only thing it's missing is Somnus from FFXV, but it's rumored (which I read on GFAQs so.. yeah maybe not) to be a DLC track down the road.

pariah164

Does anyone know how online play will work? If it uses the Friends List, I think I have almost everyone here added already, lol.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I can't decide if I want digital version or physical...not really a fan of how Nintendo treats digital but I have a bunch of credit to use. I do have the first print version preordered at Amazon though with a $5 discount

So, what's everyone planning to roll with in terms of controls this time around?

Think I'm going hybrid; stylus for FMS and buttons for BMS. Just couldn't get used to using the analog stick to guide the long wiggly Hold notes during FMS in the demo. Guiding Hold notes with a stylus just feels so much better to me.

cwistofu

Hold on, Theatrhytm 2 doesn't have the EMS from the first game? That's what that wiki tracklist is making it seem like.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So, what's everyone planning to roll with in terms of controls this time around?

Think I'm going hybrid; stylus for FMS and buttons for BMS. Just couldn't get used to using the analog stick to guide the long wiggly Hold notes during FMS in the demo. Guiding Hold notes with a stylus just feels so much better to me.

Having played through all the tracks in the first with the stylus, I think I'll keep with it. Especially satisfying when you perfect a track on Expert.

pariah164

Hold on, Theatrhytm 2 doesn't have the EMS from the first game? That's what that wiki tracklist is making it seem like.
Hey, that suits me fine if it's true. EMS was one of the weakest things from the first game, IMHO.

I have some issues with the button controls, but I may use them for the Basic scores, then roll with stylus for Expert and Ultimate.

This game really creeped on me. Almost forgot it existed. Would really like to day 1 it since I loved the first one but I have so many other games on my hands right now. Grrr

suzu

Probably going with the stylus for the most part. I failed so hard with button controls on FMS too. lol

It seems they turned them into FMS/BMS, and added new EMS for the games that haven't appeared in the previous Theatrhythm.

cwistofu

Probably going with the stylus for the most part. I failed so hard with button controls on FMS too. lol

It seems they turned them into FMS/BMS, and added new EMS for the games that haven't appeared in the previous Theatrhythm.

That's a bit of a bummer, watching those FMVs in the background was a huge nostalgia rush for me. That said, it's understandable why they'd be cut. And we get 1000 words this time, which is great!

I am used to the stylus, so I will probably stick with that. I do like using the buttons on basic and expert, but it's absolute murder on ultimate for me!

I'm excited for this, but it seems they've really dropped the ball when it comes to DLC characters. They started off okay, but then descended into clones and now they've completely stopped. :/

I hope they start it up again with some fresh characters.

Received my CE today. So now I'm two for two (NiNoKuno & Theatrhyhm CEs) with Digitial River. I was happy to see that the case is actually sized for the XL/LL. Thought it was going to be standard 3DS size.

I'm excited for this, but it seems they've really dropped the ball when it comes to DLC characters. They started off okay, but then descended into clones and now they've completely stopped. :/

I hope they start it up again with some fresh characters.

I am hoping they start back up too, I'm still waiting on my Lulu!
Maybe once the game releases in the west officially, they'll get back on track.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Can't wait. The original was one of my favourite games over the past few years. Was amazing playing the demo and having the Figaro theme to play.

prateeko

Anyone get the collector's edition from Square-Enix, which was (ugh) shipped by Digital Rivier? Got one in today (totally forgot I ordered it until it shipped a few days ago...do'h!) and of course there was pretty much no packing material in there...

LuuKyK

Anyone get the collector's edition from Square-Enix, which was (ugh) shipped by Digital Rivier? Got one in today (totally forgot I ordered it until it shipped a few days ago...do'h!) and of course there was pretty much no packing material in there...

Wait already? So it shipped early?

Yeah, mine was packed with what looked like construction paper. But luckily the CE box itself had no damage.

Sadist

Will buy... eventually. The original is amazing and it's one of my most played 3DS games to date. Fun and addictive.

overcast

I wonder how much Gamestop/Best Buy are giving for the first one. Adored the game, but this one makes it completely irrelevant. Haven't even played the DLC from the 1st. Plus new songs? Whew.

Brawl96

Hey gaf, I rented the first game a while back. Loved it, played every song, but didn't buy it.
Im loving the demo for the second one. Should I go and pick up the first one or does this game have all of the songs and content as the first?

I am hoping they start back up too, I'm still waiting on my Lulu!
Maybe once the game releases in the west officially, they'll get back on track.
Lulu is one of the characters I want most too. I also really want FFXIV Cid and more characters from the first three games.

Really, they should be adding almost everyone. It's free money basically. But instead we're getting more Clouds and Aurons. :/

Griss

Only question for me here is digital or physical. I played the original TR so much that I ended up wishing it was digital, but on the other hand Nintendo...

I also passed up on Destiny largely to save money to buy this game. Wonder how many others can say the same, lol. Wonder how many of them aren't final fantasy fans (I'm not, I just love this game).

Brawl96

Only question for me here is digital or physical. I played the original TR so much that I ended up wishing it was digital, but on the other hand Nintendo...

I also passed up on Destiny largely to save money to buy this game. Wonder how many others can say the same, lol. Wonder how many of them aren't final fantasy fans (I'm not, I just love this game).

Hm...digital sounds smart, Id be missing out on the limited edition tho?

overcast

Hey gaf, I rented the first game a while back. Loved it, played every song, but didn't buy it.
Im loving the demo for the second one. Should I go and pick up the first one or does this game have all of the songs and content as the first?
All of the songs from the first + all the DLC from the first (aside from one song) + newly added songs. This is the way to go for sure.

Top Bottom