• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming Out On Top (An Adult Gay Dating Sim) |OT| I'm gay, high five!

KmA

I was expecting a lot more screenshots of the wit exhibited throughout this thread. Too lazy to collect them all myself soooo...

IvorB

Maybe down the line they'll add the option of a foursome.

Too late to donate?

Ian was a really, really close second.

Oh God, I'm discussing fictional love options like a teen girl reading through a romance novel. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME BIOWARE.

Yeah I gotta say Ian is an early favourite. We can all blame Bioware for this. After I had to witness a scene of my Dragon Age character shacking up with Zevran in Origins anything is possible.

Bardiche

Tempted to get this game after playing the demo. It would've been nice to see stocky men but some of the characters are so charming.

I must say the response to this topic has greatly exceeded my expectations. I'm very glad to see so many people enjoyed the game. :)

Shizuka

I'm here to show my support, Hours Left. I'm not getting the game anytime soon because of my huge backlog and lack of funds, but I'll get it on the first opportunity.

Monocle

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I was going to like him but I was really surprised.

Oh, I have to go back and do that, now :p

I like Ian's character, but just from my personal preference I kind of wish his route was less the whole questioning my sexuality thing, because Ian's default personality is really charming but then you see less of it. I can appreciate why that plot was there, it didn't feel like melodrama or anything, but idk. Maybe it's that the routes are all a bit short, would have been nice to see everything kind of go back to normal after it gets worked out instead of just *boom* married.
About Ian:
I agree, it would have been nice to see more of his regular personality. His arc would have worked better in a longer game, where his main character beats could be spaced out more naturally.

Obscura squeezed in quite a lot given the game's limited scope. I like the extra little scenes with Ian that you can get when you're involved with other guys. The way he huffs around when Jed comes by your apartment made me laugh. The scene where he walks in on you and Philbert is pretty great too. There are a couple variations that you should be sure to check out. The walkthrough I posted earlier shows how to get both, during Philbert's storyline.

Best sex scene in the game, probably. Obscura seems partial to Ian and I can't blame her.
Thank goodness for that!

This, i guess you have to like bodybuilders to appreciate the game.
In the official FAQ, Obscura mentions that Coming Out On Top is designed to cater to tastes that fall between the thin pretty boys common in yaoi and the husky macho types common in bara. Like she points out, body types between those extremes is uncommon in Japanese dating games, and I can add that you don't see them that often in adult manga either. I appreciate how well this game serves that underrepresented range of interest, considering how those in-between athletic builds are exactly what I'm into.

If the characters' looks don't work for you, the writing is good enough that their personalities might win you over.

I'm rather buy curious about this game. Any playthroughs on youtube or streams?

VJ0TRao.gif

EulaCapra

Thanks OP for this thread! And game creator as well of course. I purchased it immediately lol.

On my first playthrough, I got down on my knees to pray
on Brad
.... but I ended up tutoring too much on the weekends and ended up with NO ONE lol.

I got the most vanilla ending:
the three roommates graduate. I end up living in a nice penthouse watching NFL where Brad is playing. Content and FOREVER ALONE.

And for those who want to change their fates or just rummage through all the scenarios, this person's done it! FULL WALKTHROUGHS

In the grand scheme of things, what fucking difference does it make? Maybe you should step out of your own little, enclosed, limited world and open yourself up to new experiences.

That's harsh Russell. At the end of the day, this is a game where you meet, romance, date, and have sex with a virtual guy. It's not surprising to wonder why a person who doesn't actually get turned on by guys may prefer a more heterosexual experience. Granted, I've played and enjoyed a few straight VNs (Katawa Shoujo was really great) but I don't expect other gay guys or females to feel the same, and I'm certainly more excited to play a similar experience but with characters that are visually appealing to me with this and No Thank You!! . I can completely see why a straight guy would prefer something more appealing to their tastes (although they definitely have plenty of options to consider compared to the gay crowd, especially in the West)

Goldrush

Bread and hair are great, but I'm also surprised by the condom option. Not just that it is there, but that they actually change dialogues to fit it. It's a nice little touch.

About Ian:
I agree, it would have been nice to see more of his regular personality. His arc would have worked better in a longer game, where his main character beats could be spaced out more naturally.

Obscura squeezed in quite a lot given the game's limited scope. I like the extra little scenes with Ian that you can get when you're involved with other guys. The way he huffs around when Jed comes by your apartment made me laugh. The scene where he walks in on you and Philbert is pretty great too. There are a couple variations that you should be sure to check out. The walkthrough I posted earlier shows how to get both, during Philbert's storyline.

On Ian:
That's true, it is weirdly endearing, it always makes me feel slightly guilty lol.

Thank goodness for that!

Honestly I agree, he's just a likeable character,
I think the Mark-Penny-Ian characters/dynamic may be the best in general, just because of how they're situated.

In the official FAQ, mentions that Coming Out On Top is designed to cater to tastes that fall between the thin pretty boys common in yaoi and the husky macho types common in bara. Like she points out, body types between those extremes is uncommon in Japanese dating games, and I can add that you don't see them that often in adult manga either. I appreciate how well this game serves that underrepresented range of interest, considering how those in-between athletic builds are exactly what I'm into.

Honestly, I'm thankful for this, I agree that it's underrepresented yet paradoxically there's a big inbuilt market for it. Come to think of it, kind of like the general idea of an actually good gay dating sim...

Lady Gaia

Oh, gay male dating sim. Of course.

Mostly kidding, actually. Not every game needs to pander to my interests any more than it needs to satisfy any other specific audience. Presumably it was written by men who understand their audience, and it's great to see there's a market for it.

Oh, gay male dating sim. Of course.

Mostly kidding, actually. Not every game needs to pander to my interests any more than it needs to satisfy any other specific audience. Presumably it was written by men who understand their audience, and it's great to see there's a market for it.
It was written by a woman FYI, Obscura. All the character/CG art is by women too. (Obscura again, for the sprites. doubleleaf did the CGs.)

They're both really cool.

A condom option? Ok I'm legit surprised to see that. I really need to try this one out.
I forgot to mention that in the OT.

*goes to fix*

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
In the grand scheme of things, what fucking difference does it make? Maybe you should step out of your own little, enclosed, limited world and open yourself up to new experiences.
God forbid he doesn't want to play a dating sim that doesn't cater to his sexual orientation.

Magnus

First, thanks for the OP/thread. Cool game! And I'm not usually one for VNs.

I was a bit surprised at how short it was, but now I'm realizing just how varied and branching the story can be.

I somehow wound up with….no one…? Is it actually possible to wind up with each of the guys?

Well, I did wind up just have one encounter with one of the guys, but it wasn't like I "ended the game with them."

Huh.

Fuck, I really wish I landed Alex. lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
God forbid he doesn't want to play a dating sim that doesn't cater to his sexual orientation.

Why would someone come into a thread about a gay (male) dating sim asking for the straight sims when there are straight sims as far as the eye can see?

What do you think would happen if I went into the Splatoon thread and asked for a WWII shooter with as much quality as Splatoon?

Really, tell me what you think might happen.

Alex is the hardest to land.

Why would someone come into a thread about a gay (male) dating sim asking for the straight sims when there are straight sims as far as the eye can see?

What do you think would happen if I went into the Splatoon thread and asked for a WWII shooter with as much quality as Splatoon?

Truth.

First, thanks for the OP/thread. Cool game! And I'm not usually one for VNs.

I was a bit surprised at how short it was, but now I'm realizing just how varied and branching the story can be.

I somehow wound up with….no one…? Is it actually possible to wind up with each of the guys?

Well, I did wind up just have one encounter with one of the guys, but it wasn't like I "ended the game with them."

Huh.

Fuck, I really wish I landed Alex. lol
He's the hardest to get apparently. He's one of my top favs too, his scenes are so hot. XD

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

I'd tell you WW2 shooters fell off after Red Orchestra 2 :p

Caladrius

Will try either tonight or tomorrow morning. Not 100% into the aesthetic and the character designs (Though that's mostly just because I primarily like twinks and femmes as far as 2D goes) but it seems worth a go. This might end up being my first gay VN (and romantic/erotic VN).

Phil and Ian are my favorites at a glance.

I'd tell you WW2 shooters fell off after Red Orchestra 2 :p

Does that mean this is the Modern Warfare of dating sims?

I didn't make the OT, Hours Left did, I've just posted here way too much :p I'm sure he's glad to hear it, though.
Heh, yes I am.

All the support has been awesome. I'm so happy this game is getting more exposure. I was just talking to Obscura (the creator of this game) on another site, and she is very appreciative for all the kind words and support this game is getting. :)

Ratrat

Is this graphic? Probably wont get it, at least not any time soon but good job anyway!

edit: 'condom mod' ...thats a first.

Top Bottom